Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

Eiji Aonuma - Ocarina Is Not As Good As...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Disregard the topic title, it's the product of weak shitty journalism from a French site called Gamekyo, which tried to add controversy where none was to be found.

Eiji Aonuma, the lead designer at Nintendo's Zelda team, has been speaking about Ocarina of Time in respect to Nintendo upcoming Zelda game: 

(unedited quote)

"It's complicated. Past things belong to our memories, and they grow bigger in there. If you play Ocarina of Time nowadays, you notice that it's not that good. Sometimes it doesn't move as fast as it should, graphics aren't as beautiful as they should be; there are some confusing parts... Any present Zelda is technically superior. Everything goes faster, more fluid... but to best Ocarina of Time, a great change –comparable to what happened back then- must be introduced. And that'll be rather complicated.

I didn't know our discussions were so well known! I believe we have different visions because Mr. Miyamoto is just a genius; he's got an innate talent, and everything I do, I had to learn step by step. And it took a lot for me, I have no natural talent. I've spent many years with Mr. Miyamoto and, since the beginning, the moment I have to bring my work and show it to him for his opinion is a very special moment, and I enjoy with it. [...] He notices things I'd never see. After this time, our visions are starting to match up more and more. However, I have a lot more left to try to reach him.

There were a lot of things we couldn't do [with Ocarina of Time] due to technical limitations. But I think we've been solving those issues with every Zelda since then. With each entry, I've tried to add things I couldn't do before. Actually, it's like I've been remaking it during these years. So if you ask me if there's going to be a Zelda remake... I thought I was making it all this time! So it maybe I haven't done well enough, I haven't been up to the expected level."

- Eiji Aonuma 

Read the full interview here ( Es - Google Translated)
    webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By webby

All games age. 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Saying that you're new Zelda is going to be better than Ocarina is a bold statement. But then again, saying you're game is going to be better technically than a 10 year old game isn't much of a feat, so we'll have to wait and see, eh?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By asurastrike

I've played OOT in the last year and it is still the best 3D Zelda game.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikeeegeee

I'm inclined to disagree with the man. I still beat the game about once a year and I think it's aged wonderfully.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Gamekyo are tards, that above quote is exactly how it's written on their site. They put some shitty spin on it removing everything that contradicts their spin on the story.  

Full interview added to the OP

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Deusoma

Just to be clear, when he's talking about comparing Ocarina of Time to his Zelda game, is he talking about Twilight Princess (the latest Zelda game on a major console), Spirit Tracks (the latest Zelda game), or the new Wii Zelda they haven't announced the name of yet?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, yeah, cool interview, and he's pretty modest, not even mentioning Majora's Mask that he was most involved with, or saying those things about how he's not performed to expectations all the times he's "remade" Zelda. He doesn't really put down OoT as he says how tough it is to best it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

Done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.