Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Longest Journey

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 16, 2000

The Longest Journey puts the player in the shoes of 18-year old April Ryan as you face various challenges to find the Guardian and restore Balance between the two distinctly different worlds of Stark and Arcadia.

The best purchase I've made in a while, you should play this.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sooty

I bought The Longest Journey because I saw a video of it on YouTube and it was really funny, it was in the recent Steam sales along with the sequel for around $5 

I never thought it would be this good, though, it's so clever and the voice acting is absolutely fantastic. There's a ton of swearing but it never feels really forced, it just seems natural from the characters. Like this guy who happens to be a complete asshole: 

I'm not normally into point and click adventures either but the story in this so gripping and the main character is really interesting and funny. It's pretty long too, I'm on chapter 3 out of 13 so far and I've played around 7 hours already!

It's from 2000 so it's a bit dated but it still plays great, however you're forced to play it at 640x480 which is a little lame but even blown up on my 24" monitor it doesn't look half bad to be honest. The Fraps recording in the video above didn't show the subtitles at the bottom for some reason. Weird.

Edit: and holy god damn if you like the Discworld books you will love this
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd play it, but I'm not entirely sure that I could run it. Also, I'm cheap as fuck :P.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sooty
    @Video_Game_King said:
    I'd play it, but I'm not entirely sure that I could run it. Also, I'm cheap as fuck :P.
    It's from 2000! You must be able to run it. :P

If you are worried about it not working on newer versions of Windows then you should be OK, I'm running it on Windows 7 64-bit and the only glitch I've had is if you tab out then back in the screen will go black unless you start moving again
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

So is it the longest journey you've ever been through?

Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Jocund

Yeah, that pack was the only thing I bought from the Steam sale, and so far I think both games are fantastic. I was unsure of the length at first, but seeing your post, it looks like I'll have plenty of game to burn through before Catherine comes out.  

I too was taken off-guard by how damned funny it is, I heard the writing was good, but I wasn't prepared for the chuckles!

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xpgamer7

I've played it. One of the best Point and click games out there. Did you get it in the Dreamfall/longest Journey Pack?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sooty
    @Xpgamer7 said:

I've played it. One of the best Point and click games out there. Did you get it in the Dreamfall/longest Journey Pack?

I sure did! I hear Dreamfall has a really good story too so I'm OK with putting up with some of the quirky gameplay mechanics it' supposed to have.

@blacklabeldomm said:
    So is it the longest journey you've ever been through?

Possibly!
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Ygg

Just so we're clear on what I can do, here's Half-Life 2 on my computer:

No Caption Provided

Somehow, this pissed a lot of people off when I included it in my blog. The fact that it still slowed down when there was too much shit going on didn't exactly help things.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sooty
    @Video_Game_King said:

@Ygg

No Caption Provided
     Somehow, this pissed a lot of people off when I included it in my blog. The fact that it still slowed down when there was too much shit going on didn't exactly help things.
    Haha! 

Well here are the specs for TLJ, you will be just fine!
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Levio

Oh yeah I played that, but talking about it would spoil stuff. All I can say is that it was cool to play a game where the heroine isn't either sexualized or overly girly, she's just a normal person.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

I was considering buying that pack. I wish I could have read this post days ago when I was making that decision. Oh well. I really have too many unbeaten games as it is.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sooty
    @JJWeatherman said:

I was considering buying that pack. I wish I could have read this post days ago when I was making that decision. Oh well. I really have too many unbeaten games as it is.

Noooooooo!

Well there's always daily deals. Maybe you'll get lucky. :D
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By BoG
    @Video_Game_King said:
    @Ygg

Ok, honestly, you need a new computer. My mother's netbook performs better than that.
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By oraknabo

I never got far in this, but I bought Dreamfall and have been enjoying playing it with a 360 controller. The combat sucks but luckily there's very little. The game looks great and the voices and dialogue are good, though people can be a little long winded and there is a LOT more talking than action. 

Even though I love a lot of LucasArts games, I kind of hate clicking to walk and I got really impatient with some of the conversations in the first game.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @rebgav

I think it would make more sense to buy a new laptop.
    StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StingerMK2

The Longest Journey is my second favourite adventure game, and probably in my top 10 overall, love it, only eclipsed by Grim Fandango in my honourable opinion

iv still not touched Dreamfall despite the fact i own it, quite bad of me i know, but when i bought the compilation (in fact it was probably the last physical copy of a PC game iv ever bought) my PC wouldn't run it, but iv brought a new one since, so i might get onto that

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Evilsbane

@rebgav said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Ygg:

No Caption Provided

That's pretty funny. You know, for $50 you could get a graphics card which would actually be able to play source engine games. Maybe less than $50.

I've...never...even seen Half Life at that low of settings..oh..my...gawd, I think my SNES could run HL2 better than that.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I also bought it im planning on playing it soon.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Venatio

TLJ:Dreamfall is one of my favorite games, I bought TLJ on the Steam sale and I've played about 10 hours, really cool game, more fun than was expected

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bloodlines

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are both good games, and probably the only good games Funcom has made.  

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Evilsbane

Worse yet, my computer defaulted to that (except for the windowed mode, which I always force games to use).
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Should I get both, or just stick with the first, for now? 
    RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RadixNegative2

I got TLJ a couple months ago on GOG and despite all the other games coming out (the ones I have bought anyway), TLJ is the only one I keep going back to.

I can't wait to play Dreamfall afterwards. Hopefully it's as good.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By MEATBALL

Yeah, picked up TLJ and Dreamfall during the Steam sale, I'd wanted to play the games for a long time. I've only played about half an hour of TLJ so far, but already I really like the voice acting (well, most of it) and April as a character.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Evilsbane

@Video_Game_King said:

@Evilsbane: Worse yet, my computer defaulted to that (except for the windowed mode, which I always force games to use).

So it basically looked like this:

caption
    caption
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Evilsbane

Actually, it's more like this:

No Caption Provided
    (I wanted to post the Genesis version, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on this site who knows that Toy Story was a better FPS than that.) Worse yet, I have Episode One sitting in my Steam library. I won't make the mistake of using my own pictures of it in my blog, even if I will make the mistake of blogging about it.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Evilsbane

@Video_Game_King said:

@Evilsbane:

Actually, it's more like this:

No Caption Provided
    (I wanted to post the Genesis version, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on this site who knows that Toy Story was a better FPS than that.) Worse yet, I have Episode One sitting in my Steam library. I won't make the mistake of using my own pictures of it in my blog, even if I will make the mistake of blogging about it.

First off Rofl @ that pic Toche. And second, I will be watching for your blog so we can have another GB HL Showdown Extravaganza. But At least EP1 is a modern game and it actually does have some pacing issues so will be interested to see your experience with it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Evilsbane

....It's best not to discuss Half-Life 1 unless I'm playing the PS2 version (that's probably not going to happen). Also, you'll have to wait a while before I even touch Episode One, since I'm already engrossed in another PC game.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sooty
    @Bloodgraiv3 said:
    Should I get both, or just stick with the first, for now? 
    Hmm depends, might work out cheaper if you get both (I think the double pack on Steam is still there, just not on offer)
    Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Omega

A friend of mine bought me The Longest Journey during the sale. Still haven't had a chance to play it. I'm sort of simultaneously dealing with an obsession with Disgaea 3 and Battlestar Galactica right now. But Longest Journey is next on the list unless Catherine comes first which I'm sure it will. 

Anyway, I played Dreamfall a few years ago and I'm still pissed off at the big cliffhanger ending that I'm sure will never get resolved. But I still am dying to play this and your enthusiasm for it is making me wanna drop everything and go play it now.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sooty
    @Omega said:
    A friend of mine bought me The Longest Journey during the sale. Still haven't had a chance to play it. I'm sort of simultaneously dealing with an obsession with Disgaea 3 and Battlestar Galactica right now. But Longest Journey is next on the list unless Catherine comes first which I'm sure it will.  Anyway, I played Dreamfall a few years ago and I'm still pissed off at the big cliffhanger ending that I'm sure will never get resolved. But I still am dying to play this and your enthusiasm for it is making me wanna drop everything and go play it now.
    Do it!
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#32  Edited By BeachThunder

I bought TLJ during the sale; so hopefully I'll play it soonish, maybe, pehaps...

I was thinking about getting Dreamfall too, but I guess I'll just see how I go with this one first. Also, Dreamfall seems pretty different (well, it's certainly not Point n Click, anyway).

Nigglenummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nigglenummy

I remember playing TLJ back when it came out...think I still have the original box somewhere around. It was absolutely mind-blowing back then, and after playing it recently again it still holds up well. Anyone on the fence just play it, you'll love it. 

Dreamfall is good too. It's still an adventure game, just with third person controls and camera. If you're only going to buy/play one or the other, choose TLJ. I think it's the better game. Also, there are some key plot threads that continue into Dreamfall.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By ventilaator

Played a ton of this and my save file exploded so never finished it. The amoun I did play was great though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#35  Edited By StarvingGamer

DREAMFALLLLLLLL

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By the_hiro_abides

The Longest Journey is a fantastic game! I'd choose that one above the sequel by a lot. It's dated graphic wise but the story and characters kept it going strong. I replay the game every so often. The really off putting thing is the game logic puzzle early on with a inner tube in the subway. It's easy on subsequent play throughs but on your first time the logic seems tenuous. It's like well, you have an inventory and click until a bunch of items combine into some crazy item.

Dreamfall is a decent follow up but it retreads the same ground and makes April edgier. Plus the unresolved ending sucks.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sooty

I did read that they are looking at revisiting the series once they finish The Secret World. I'm hoping it gets a proper sequel instead of some MMO tie-in though. :)

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By MachoFantastico

Great game, one of my all time favourite point and click adventures up there with Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars.

Also recommend Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. A sort of sequel to The Longest Journey.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sooty

Oh and this is the video that got me interested:

:D
    Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Heltom92
    @Video_Game_King said:
    @Ygg

No Caption Provided
    Haha! That is amazing, I didn't even know HL2 could looks this bad. Seriously man you could get a decent comp for a few hundred dollars. Hell, you could probably get a comp that is better than yours for $100.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By niamahai

i am too young to play these games!!!

also lesbian talk in the opening! wtf!

my innocence! lost! again!

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By HellBrendy

Does anybody know if the Steam-version of the game includes the original norwegian voices? Bought it my self during the sale, but haven't started it yet. 

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I bought it cheap off of Steam during the Summer Sale and have been enjoying it so far (I'm about an hour in.).

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By Ghostiet

Yup, it's still a great adventure game. Too bad the sequel is total crap and we'll probably never get a conclusion to the story.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nick

This game is great! I bought it off Steam a couple years ago and played through, definite recommendation!

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By harinosho

i've played these. Dream fall i really liked.,my first point and click adventure game.. still waiting on a sequel. it has to get a sequel. Too good not to

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.