Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

The Witcher 2 vs. Fable 3

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By HumanityPlague

In a few days, I'm probably going to blog about the Witcher 2 vs. Fable 3, in terms of story, gameplay, audio, graphics, intent, etc. I think the two are actually fairly similar, but have completely different ways of going about stuff, and the end-all goal. For some completely odd reason, people compare the Witcher 2 to Dragon Age: Origin (or 2), and it's weird to me. I haven't played 2, but Origin basically felt like a busted version of WoW to me (in terms of combat & such) So...yeah, this'll happen soon, probably when I finish up the Witcher 2. I'm somewhere in Chapter 3, getting my ass kicked by about 20 guards. I did beat Fable 3, or at least the "main" quest, and was the only person (besides Babs) to enjoy it. So, I'll update this in a few days or so.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HumanityPlague

In a few days, I'm probably going to blog about the Witcher 2 vs. Fable 3, in terms of story, gameplay, audio, graphics, intent, etc. I think the two are actually fairly similar, but have completely different ways of going about stuff, and the end-all goal. For some completely odd reason, people compare the Witcher 2 to Dragon Age: Origin (or 2), and it's weird to me. I haven't played 2, but Origin basically felt like a busted version of WoW to me (in terms of combat & such) So...yeah, this'll happen soon, probably when I finish up the Witcher 2. I'm somewhere in Chapter 3, getting my ass kicked by about 20 guards. I did beat Fable 3, or at least the "main" quest, and was the only person (besides Babs) to enjoy it. So, I'll update this in a few days or so.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

There is no comparison, Witcher 2 is just a better game.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By scarace360

WITCHER 2!

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By landon

Fable 3 is a bad game that got good reviews. It fools you into thinking it's fun, but if you sit back and look at it, it's a sloppy, poorly made, unfunny, extremely easy, bad, bad game. For Gods sake, buy The Witcher 2, don't even play Fable 3.

Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dread612
    @Landon said:
    Fable 3 is a bad game that got good reviews. It fools you into thinking it's fun, but if you sit back and look at it, it's a sloppy, poorly made, unfunny, extremely easy, bad, bad game. For Gods sake, buy The Witcher 2, don't even play Fable 3.
    This man speaks the truth!!!

Btw, I put 3-4 hrs into Fable 3 and then the game dressed me up like a chicken and i said fuck this retarded crap and uninstalled it.
    papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By papercut

Fable 3 vs Dragon Age 2 would be a better comparison. They are both socially pretty hated games that reviewed well. BUT, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    Witcher 2 right now is the standpoint for fantasy RPG. This game is the benchmark. And Fable 3 was a joke. 
    dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By dillonwerner

Witcher 2

TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheWyotee93

Without even having played the Witcher 2 but having played fable I can recommend The witcher 2 over fable pretty confidently.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aronman789

At least Fable and the Witcher don't copy/paste chunks of plot from the Song of Ice and Fire series into their game like Dragon Age

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @HumanityPlague said:

I bolded some parts of your post that make you sound like a crazy person....

Go ahead and do your little breakdown, but please keep in mind that you are going to be in a miniscule minority so remember that when writing up your next blog and wondering why a bunch of people think you're crazy and aren't taking you seriously.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Rhaknar

is...is this a serious topic? :/
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zithe

@Doctorchimp said:

@HumanityPlague said:

I bolded some parts of your post that make you sound like a crazy person.... Go ahead and do your little breakdown, but please keep in mind that you are going to be in a miniscule minority so remember that when writing up your next blog and wondering why a bunch of people think you're crazy and aren't taking you seriously.

I hate to sound rude, but this guy is right.

Edit: In case that was confusing, I am addressing OP and saying that Doctorchimp is right.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Witcher 2 right now is the standpoint for fantasy RPG. This game is the benchmark. And Fable 3 was a joke. 
    The first Dragon Age was pretty darn good too.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Afroman269

What?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That's like setting up a fighting competition between an ant and a black belt.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MisterDunlap

I didn't know there were people who even seriously compared them... In my mind they stand on completely opposite sides of the RPG spectrum. As Vinny said in the quick look for the Witcher 2: "I just feel like this game wants to beat the shit out of Fable III."

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Three0neFive

The Fable games try to cram so much in but it all feels so watered down and disjointed. 

To put it bluntly, they're babby's first RPG. Taking Fable seriously is like being a professional diaper wearer.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By spazmaster666

Since you're talking about the PC versions I would say that while Witcher 2 is definitely the better game, Fable III for the PC is actually pretty good, aside from one graphical hiccup (i.e. frame rates can take a dive after playing the game for a while and won't go back to normal unless you alt-tab but otherwise it's a solid 60 fps almost all the time) since a lot of the little annoying issues with the 360 version have been fixed in the PC version (i.e. repairing everything at once, dedicated map button, etc.) I really don't get why people have so much hatred for Fable III since my experience with the PC version has been a very pleasant experience. Fable III obviously is also much easier than Witcher 2 combat wise though you can't really just mash buttons in either game if you want to be successful (though the price for falling in battle is much less severe in Fable III). I think I enjoyed both games more than I enjoyed Dragon Age II.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

The Witcher 2, by miles. There is no question.

Avatar image for favoritobandito
    FavoritoBandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FavoritoBandito

I have one friend who loves Fable 3 and one who adores Witcher 2 but they both tell me to stay away from the other one's choice.  I had more fun playing Fable 2 than the first WItcher but have a sneaky feeling that Witcher 2 is a much better game than Fable 3 from the little bit of what I have watched of both games.  I look forward to seeing more updates from this, as I continue to hide in fear of the disappointment that is Dragon Age 2 after I adored the first game.  I'm not typically an RPG guy so I like to go to easier RPGs that don't require too much micro.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Evilsbane

Let me put it this way, I played Fable 3 for 20 hours and cut it off sad that one of the most promising Xbox titles (Yes they all are on PC but by the time they get there..) games had slipped into and up its own ass, I played the Witcher 2 and didn't leave my room for 49 hours until I saw the credits roll and I felt like it was Way to short.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By valrog

You dare dishonor The Witcher 2 by comparing it to Fable 3? End of the world can't come soon enough.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti

@HumanityPlague:

I've recently finished playing Fable 3 myself and I honestly don't know how you are going to compare them? Fable 3 is just so watered down it's scary, it's pretty much a persons worst nighmare of a "consolised" RPG. Simplification to the extreme degree, striping of almost all RPG elements, laughable "moral" decisions, eeeew.

• Story? - yea Fable 3 story seems interesting at the start and then takes a nose dive into the cliche, and not just a cliche for those can be done well, but a terrible and boring cliche
    • Gameplay? - there's barely any to speak of in Fable 3 combat is rediculously easy and simple it has no tactical depth of and RPG (stats, gear, positioning) and no depth of an action game either, it's the absolute total simplification of both
    • Audio? - one only needs to walk around in the swamp in Witcher 2 or hell even in the prologue hearing the creak and groan of the war machines and shouting soldiers
    • Graphics? - the 2 games are not even in the same ballpark when it comes to graphics, don't think anything more needs to be said
    • Intent? - what do you mean by comparing intent?

How are you having trouble with guards in Chapter 3? By chapter 3 Geralt is pretty much an unstopable killing machine as long as you max at least one of the skill trees. If there is a valid critisism that has been level against Witcher 2 is that it's a bit too tough at the start and gets a bit too easy as the game progresses towards the end.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MeierTheRed

Witcher 2 annihilates Fable 3 any day.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By TobbRobb
    @Tennmuerti: Mixing magic and sword trees worked out for me. ^^
    Just saying that you can vary instead of focusing on one.
    cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cornwalliz

Save it, The Witcher 2 is far more superior in every aspect than Fable 3, no contest

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By twigger89

I have the perfect name for your blog:

"I enjoyed Fable 3, hey why are you leaving the room?"

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#29  Edited By KillyDarko

Lets just say I played over 30h of TW2 in about 4 days as soon as it came out, whereas I haven't even been able to go as much as halfway in F3...
    TW2 is a vastly superior game in every single aspect, in my humble opinion.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Tennmuerti

@TobbRobb: Yea I know, just giving the easiest to follow examples.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By management

I don't get the comparison.TW2 is a deeper better game on all levels.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rattle618
    @Aronman789 said:
    At least Fable and the Witcher don't copy/paste chunks of plot from the Song of Ice and Fire series into their game like Dragon Age
    I think that when Game of Thrones was announced to be adapted for tv the people in charge of DA`s story must have gone "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" in unison, cause Im on the third book now but I started reading them after I finished DA2 and I keep thinking these guys ripped that stuff right off these books.
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Rattle618 said:

@Aronman789 said:
    I think that when Game of Thrones was announced to be adapted for tv the people in charge of DA`s story must have gone "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" in unison, cause Im on the third book now but I started reading them after I finished DA2 and I keep thinking these guys ripped that stuff right off these books.

I think this is pretty rampant in the fantasy genre in general going back all the way to LOTR. I definitely see parallels with other fantasy settings while reading Game of Thrones.

Also, you're a fucking crazy person OP. Fable 3 was terrible. It had some great ideas and some witty lines, but it was poorly executed at all levels. The Witcher 2 is one of the best games this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering I can barely muster up the energy to play any game these days, the fact that The Witcher has me playing almost every evening (even if it's just for half an hour) speaks volumes.  

...or is pretty telling about my fixation with the lore. Now there is a game whose universe is lavishly crafted.

It's also re-ignited my desire to play games, too. Having bought the Quakecon pack, I now have a veritable shit-ton of rpgs to get through.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By Icemael

I found The Witcher 2 boring, but man, it's miles ahead of Fable III.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.