Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

This is free right now on Xbox

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Not sure if this is legit or not because it wasn't really announced or anything but Witcher 2 is free right now for Xbox 360. You can also play it on Xbox One with the recent backwards compatibility update.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@colourful_hippie: saw it on twitter as well. To me it's a classic game so highly recommend it to people who like RPGs.

See, the most reputable sources too:

DGBruin08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's legit, Major Nelson and CDPR's Twitter account both confirmed it. It was a little weird because apparently The Witcher 2 was available for free on the X360 marketplace since the 20th or something,

Unfortunately the offer is only available in a few countries: I think the list is the US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, but I cbf looking it up again right now. I'm a little bummed about this because Australia's not on that list, and I put over 200 hours into The Witcher 3 between the new year and now, which has made me curious about this game. Weirdly, I don't think I can even buy the game online in my region at the moment -- I guess I'd have to go out into the world and find a physical disc (not the form I want my Xbox games in) if I wanted to play it. :(

Also weird is the amount of distressed PS4 owners tweeting at CDPR asking why the game is only coming to the 'Bone and not the PS4, as though they have no clue about backwards compatibility and think this is an actual port or something. :S

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I'm playing through it right now, it's really good! For free it's exceptional! Check it out.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@fnrslvr said:

Also weird is the amount of distressed PS4 owners tweeting at CDPR asking why the game is only coming to the 'Bone and not the PS4, as though they have no clue about backwards compatibility and think this is an actual port or something. :S

And even with PS4 BC it still wouldn't work since The Witcher 2 never came out on the PS3. A good get for Xbox Gold members who never tried Witcher though. What a fantastic game.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna: huh, just noticed that. The original is still only on the PC, too. I wonder if they'll remaster either/both games, maybe for a GOTY trilogy thing.

@fnrslvr said:

Unfortunately the offer is only available in a few countries: I think the list is the US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, but I cbf looking it up again right now. I'm a little bummed about this because Australia's not on that list

IS NOW! Click on the green "Buy Game" label on the left, the download link in the downloads list seems to be bugged. Thanks to Kotaku Australia for figuring this out.

Man, I might be just a little too excited about getting The Witcher 2 for free on the Bone. :P

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's a damn fine game, definitely worth playing. It feels way tighter than 3 due to the linear story, with the only dragging bits hitting midway through act 2.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is a great price for one of the best RPGs.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it really free or just games with gold?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#11 chaser324  Moderator

@oursin_360: It's legit free. This isn't a part of "Games with Gold".

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How's the performance on Xbox One?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

This is a must try for anyone who hasn't played a Witcher game, especially those bothered by the "perfect angelic savior of humanity" / "selfish destructive embodiment of pure evil" type of "choice" most games give you regarding morality.

There's almost no good or evil, right or wrong choices in Witcher games. No black and white, only shades of gray, and it's welcome change from so many other games.

If you like the action RPG genre, and you're drawn to darker fantasy tales such as Game of Thrones, check it out.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 2 was wayyyy better than Witcher 3. I also happen to think it's one of the best RPG's ever made. Very happy to hear it's going to be played by even more people now. Witcher 3 really fails as an open world game with it's primitive laughably bad combat, and terrible structure. The very "gamey" aspects such as it's quest system are also pretty cringe worthy.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, but cool. One of the best games of the previous generation.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, how how many hours would a thorough playthrough of The Witcher 2 take? I'm kinda keen to jump in and see how the back compat holds up, but after the amount of time I just spent in The Witcher 3, I'm a little apprehensive about plunging yet more hours into a Witcher game.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: It's much shorter. 30 hours for a first playthrough maybe.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: thanks, installing now.

I guess I'll answer some questions about performance when I have it running, if nobody else has already done so by then. (Not that I can contrast it with the unemulated 360 or PC version, since I played neither of those.)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, time to dust off my Elite.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@fnrslvr said:

@probablytuna: huh, just noticed that. The original is still only on the PC, too. I wonder if they'll remaster either/both games, maybe for a GOTY trilogy thing.

@fnrslvr said:

Unfortunately the offer is only available in a few countries: I think the list is the US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, but I cbf looking it up again right now. I'm a little bummed about this because Australia's not on that list

IS NOW! Click on the green "Buy Game" label on the left, the download link in the downloads list seems to be bugged. Thanks to Kotaku Australia for figuring this out.

Man, I might be just a little too excited about getting The Witcher 2 for free on the Bone. :P

oh man thank you i was going crazy trying to find the right page

the way the browser version of the xbox store just randomly jumps from region to region is VERY frustrating

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm just gonna drop this here, the game is not free currently but it's crazy cheap on Xbox right now, I bought it for an equivalent of less then three USD (in EU). Also it got an "One X Enhanced" support recently so for people like me, who never played it, this is perfect. Check your local store page!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.