Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Witcher 2: Laggy?

Avatar image for lady_of_the_patriots
    Lady_of_the_patriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've got an alienware m11x r3 with a GeForce GT 540m graphics card. I looked up the specs and I should be able to run this game on ultra pretty smoothly, But I can't even run it on medium specs with out it being super unresponsive. Like I'll hit forward and he doesn't even move for about a half a second. And While that doesn't seem like alot, it really gets in the way. Even on low settings it still is a bit laggy.

Anyone know why this is? Is there a patch or something I need to download? I just tried to play Skyrim and Total War and it just ran fine so I know its not my computer.. I don't think it is anyway.

Help!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Do you have super sampling turned on?

Lady_of_the_patriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MB said:

It says Ubersampling on the advanced options but yeah I turned that off. Still running laggy :/

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

Well seems like most people with that card are getting about 25-30fps on it. Try putting everything on low/disabled and work from there and see what causing the lag. I also noticed that it's cpu heavy game. Seems like all the lighting and the large environments are running in real time. Try going on the official forums and see maybe someone there can help you.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Your laptop must be powered (to the socket on the wall) to run games like this.  Otherwise your GT 540M switches to low power mode, or even worse, you use the onboard Intel GPU (which is part of your CPU).

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By benspyda

@MB said:

Yea, not even my GTX580 could handle super sampling. It's over 9000!

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Shivoa

@Lady_of_the_patriots: I don't think the graphics card you're using is as powerful as you think it is.

Let nVidia give you some context with a benchmark comparison of all their cards: laptop & desktop (reasonably equivalent between the two graphs, so you can see where the sub-5000 score of your GPU measures to to the last 5 years of desktop GPUs on the second chart).

So, as we now know you have almost an order of magnitude (in a very rough sense) less polygon pushing power behind you than the current cutting edge, I feel happy saying that you will have to play with the settings to find the sweet spot for your graphics card, even only running at the low native res (720p +a smidge) of your screen. Turning everything to Ultra is unlikely to give you 30+ fps in every game you try but it sounds like other people have found that turning off the higher level of anti-aliasing is a great boost for performance.

elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By elbon

@Lady_of_the_patriots said:

alienware

Well theirs your problem

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By korwin

The 540M isn't even remotely capable of running The Witcher 2 smoothly on Ultra (unless you were running it at 800x600 or something, might struggle even then). Turn you stuff down to low and you should be ok... maybe.

Lady_of_the_patriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Korwin said:

The 540M isn't even remotely capable of running The Witcher 2 smoothly on Ultra (unless you were running it at 800x600 or something, might struggle even then). Turn you stuff down to low and you should be ok... maybe.

Some peopel were saying they got it on high. Whatever. I had to lower the the screen resolution and now I can run it on low with now lag >_<

Bleh.

Thanks guys. Sorry kind of a pc newbie.

EDIT: With the resloution turned down I can actually run it almost high graphics... Sweet :D to use teeny weeny eye vision.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bybeach

@Korwin said:

Bleh.

Thanks guys. Sorry kind of a pc newbie.

Understood. What you have to catch up on is what pc will do for you. Alienware keeps pushing out their laptops but I have an innate distrust. I do suppose their top model(s) are okay. I would do as one poster suggested, play yours plugged in. And just saying, bring yourself up to speed a bit on pc components and maybe even think of a solid desktop performer someday. Even if you have someone else build it(and you would be surprised.. so easy to build yourself if you understand the fundamentals) you will at least have true grasp.

Edit- I went through my Alienware phase, a p4 3.60 with a 6800 ultra, later stepped up to a 8800 gts, great machine. It rules the closet now...

Lady_of_the_patriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach: I do play it plugged in. I already learned this trick. lol. Thanks though :D

And I edited my previous post to say if I lower the screen resolution I can get it to almost run on high if I turn down some of the other un-important settings.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bybeach

@bybeach: I do play it plugged in. I already learned this trick. lol. Thanks though :D

And I edited my previous post to say if I lower the screen resolution I can get it to almost run on high if I turn down some of the other un-important settings.

okay.

since it was already mentioned i assumed you did

:)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.