Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

PC version: To WASD or not to WASD, that is the question!

• 58 results
    Avatar image for ramblesnonsense
    ramblesnonsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll PC version: To WASD or not to WASD, that is the question! (346 votes)

Keyboard/mouse 33%
    Xbox 360 Controler 66%

SO i started playing Witcher 3 on PC. GTX 970, looks amazing. But i'm using KB/mouse at the moment and combat movement is a little odd. Looking for advice from the group. Who's played with controller? is it better? worse? I heard on the quicklook that the game wasn't really made for a controller.

• 
    CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@gruff182 said:

Kb/m. Having to pause mid combo to switch signs is stupid. Also, F5.

This guy gets it!
    That and fiddeling with inventory is always a bit nicer with a mouse.
    I just you were able to bind more then 2 potions on a keyboard.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Jorbit

I played with controller for about a week and then tried mouse & keyboard when I didn't feel like reaching for it one night. To my surprise I loved the keyboard controls waaaay better. They also feel more responsive, but that's probably just the wireless controller being laggy. Right clicking to block feels good, and you spend way less time in menus. Hitting M to instantly bring up the map, for example, saves so much time. 'I' for inventory, 'J' for quest journal, and 'N' for the meditation wheel. It's just better all around if you like to save time. Also quick switching signs with the mouse wheel.

TerminatorZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: It's very cool that you came to try and notice the insant and hotkey'd advantages of the MKB but why was it "to your surprise"?

It used to be common knowledge once that MKB allowed all these quick facilitation and felt more precise in control. *feels old*

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, after pumping around 40 hours into the game I developed a kind of "hybrid" style of playing. I navigate menus and such with mouse and keyboard and play the rest of the game with a controller with the occasional F5 for quick saving. Works great for me.

Except for swimming, I use mouse and keyboard for that. Swimming with a controller is garbage in this game.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think analog controls make the combat much easier (and more comfortable). However, having to hold down a face button to sprint/gallop seems like a huge mistake unless you play like some kind of claw monster. I had similar problems with Red Dead Redemption. You should be able to move freely and control the camera at the same time.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terminatorz: The combat and general feel of the character felt like it was made to be played on controller, so I was surprised at how good it felt with KBM.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nardak said:

@ch3burashka: Though witcher 1 and 2 were developed primarily for pc. Witcher 1 didnt have any console versions. Witcher 2 was published first for pc and then about a year later for xbox360.

The combat is not designed primarily for only a controller. The soft targeting in the game is very intuitive and you can fight stuff with keyboard and mouse just fine. Some people just play better with a controller than a mouse & keyboard. For Brad or Dan to say that controller is better doesnt mean much since they mostly play console games and use a controller for most of their gaming (even when they play games on pc). There are also some people who use a controller for fps games when they could use a mouse & keyboard which has a much more precise control.

I started the game on the second hardest difficulty and finished it on death march since about halfway through i was plowing through the opponents. Mouse & keyboard worked for me just fine.

"Outdated" means at one point, it was acceptable, such as in the case of W1. 2 is pushing it.

Go online and watch games like Hitman: Absolution being played with kb/m. Ugh.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, after pumping around 40 hours into the game I developed a kind of "hybrid" style of playing. I navigate menus and such with mouse and keyboard and play the rest of the game with a controller with the occasional F5 for quick saving. Works great for me.

Except for swimming, I use mouse and keyboard for that. Swimming with a controller is garbage in this game.

I shall adopt this method. I've gotten reasonably OK with the menus, but it will still be much quicker with KBM. And there's no need to force myself to get used to those awful swimming controls if I play on PC anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.