Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Was anyone disappointed by Yennefer's character/personality?

• 63 results
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

The weird thing is that she doesn't have that much of time with Geralt in the books either. Sort of light book spoilers (elaborating what I've already written) You'd expect there's a lot of relationship development as they move through most of the story together in the books, but really it's about... one book (Time of Contempt) when they're really together for most periods of the books.

Compared to that I think Triss has had an equal (if not more) amount of time spent with Geralt in TW1 and TW2 as Yen had before her in the books. That's the sort of confusing part for me. I mean sure, they're bound by the Last Wish and everything, but I expected there to be more to their story.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By MezZa

@armaan8014: I'd say the "more" isn't what is there, but what isn't there if that makes sense. The two not being together a lot tells you a lot about their relationship, and the times they are together kind of show why that is. They both care a lot about each other and love each other for the other's faults, but they just can't work well together even with the wish (or maybe because of the wish, perhaps). In Sword of Destiny During the story about the golden dragon, Three Jack's specifically tells them that they are made for each other but nothing can come from it (or something along those lines, I'm paraphrasing a bit). They later discuss that remark and solemnly come to terms with that conclusion when they spend a night together later on in the book. Granted, I'm not fully through the series, but where I am right now in their story I'd say there is a lot to their story; it is just defined by what isn't there rather than what is.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Plus she's a hunchback

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mentaldisruption: Yeah, I sort of get it. (Also their part in Sword of Destiny had slipped my mind) I actually enjoy their conversations, (or light arguments) which sound very much like a real, or in a way, modern day relationship. How it's based more on the turbulence of their relationship than on stability. But I guess after hearing so much about their relationship in the earlier books, I guess I expected them to experience a bit more of the story together.

That said, I wish Geralt and Yennefer had had a bigger reaction to seeing each other for the first time after the books' ending where they died (as clearly told in the games, so not really a spoiler. Haven't finished the last book yet either)

No Caption Provided

But I guess that's how their relationship is. I loved the dialogue Yennefer said in Vizima (when you meet Emhyr in the beginning) while on the topic about Triss. Geralt says he was sorry about it but he did have amnesia, to which Yennerfer says - (screenshot -->)

I liked that. The writing there was quite similar to the books, and it continues to show their relationship as quite complicated (probably due to the fact that it was caused by the last wish)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By MezZa

@armaan8014: Totally agree with that. I did expect them to be together a bit more too since they're such a major topic, but now I kinda wonder if that would have diminished my interest in them at all. On a very slightly related note, reading the books made me appreciate a character I wasn't expecting to be around so much, Dandelion. When Witcher 2 and 3 were my only reference points he was always just that neat side character that Geralt usually had to save, but you really get to see their friendship and support for each other in the stories.

I'm glad that you brought up that response to Geralt's amnesia comment because that's the first line I thought of after reading through a couple of the books and getting to see how the author portrayed them. That line in particular really stood out for me because it was such an unexpected response. It was a line I could really feel even when I hardly knew anything about the character.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@armaan8014: I don't believe that was the first time they had seen eachother since the events of the last book. The way the game explains that is that they ended up joining the Wild Hunt (although I'm not sure if it's ever explicitly stated how that worked), which they did discuss with eachother at a few points in the game. As I recall, the Wild Hunt captured Yennefer to lure in Ciri, but Geralt rescued her and took her place. I felt like their conversations over the course of the game more or less justified their fairly casual first encounter. Also, like you said, that's just kinda how they are.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Hmm.. yeah. There's that too. Although I'm not sure whether that time together was in the normal world, or on some island in another dimension or something? (Kinda remember something of that sort) Maybe the huge buildup to finding Ciri, and the emphasis laid on that makes this look even more casual relatively. Well, I haven't met up with Yennefer in Skellige yet, so there's probably some catching up that they'll do which may satisfy me :P

@mentaldisruption:Yeah the story between Geralt and Dandelion is pretty interesting, especially in the first two short story books (where their stories together are lighter/ humorous) And yeah, CDPR's faithfulness to the universe really shows in the writing and character interactions :)

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yen's attitude and general bossiness and coldness was a major turnoff for me. She came off as an ungrateful bitch. Fuck her.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Zeik
    Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ended up romancing Yen because - like a lot of people - I read the books and wanted them to be together.

Plus the missions where Yen and Geralt are with each other are fucking hilarious; I kept choosing the choices where Geralt doubted her just because I loved listening to them bicker so much. Plus, as much as a bitch Yen can be sometimes, there are some genuinely sweet moments between the two of them, especially later on when you find Ciri.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By kishinfoulux

She comes off as a huge bitch and gives an awful first impression especially when you consider the history she and Geralt have. Then you meet Triss and she's rad and it's like "wait why do you even like Yen again?". That being said once you meet up with her again later in the game you get to know her a bit better. I enjoy her sarcasm and sharp wit towards Geralt and they play off each other well. Like I said she just doesn't come off super great when you first encounter her because she essentially big leagues you.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Same here. Then I chucked her.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raspharus: No. I read the books. I knew who she was like. She had the personality of a highborn lady mixed in with a keen intellect and ability to handle political affairs. She was never Hannah Montana.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.