Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Why does Geralt talk in fragmented sentences?

• 76 results
    Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@believer258 said:
    @golguin said:
    @poisonjam7 said:

It really bothers me. I've gotten over his batman-esque voice, but the way he constructs his sentences is proving to be much more difficult to endure. Is there a lore reason for the way he speaks? It's stated that he lost his memory and later regained it, but clearly he has no knowledge of how to construct sentences with words like "and" "it" "the" "I" "a" etc, etc.

I've played a bit of 1 and 2 and read the first book. However from what I remember, he didn't talk like that in any of those. So what's the deal? It's seriously bothering me a lot. I'm really liking the game, but when Geralt speaks I can barely stand to listen.

I've played the game for a good number of hours and I'm not sure what you are referring to. Maybe you can link to a video where he's speaking awkwardly?

Yeah, I'm not noticing this either.

Geralt's gravelly voice is something that I get used to quickly every time I sit down to play one of the Witcher games. It bothers me for a little while and then I'm fine with it. I even like it sometimes. I've found Geralt's personality, dialogue, and delivery pretty entertaining so far, I like the character in this game a lot.

I've been playing a few hours and have totally noticed this. It's a little odd, but I just chalked it up to him being curt and short with his words. To try and explain, he tends to say things like:

"See what I can do" instead of "I'll see what I can do."

"Just wanna talk." rather than "I just wanna talk"

He also often speaks in very short sentence fragments that could be like: "Just wanna talk. Geralt of Rivea. Looking for someone.", using as few conjunctions to connect his statements as possible. Again, I just chalk it up to his quiet personality that he likes to keep conversations fast and impersonal, but I'm no Witcher lore junkie. Maybe this is not accurate to the books, or maybe there is a reason for it beyond my assumption.

I actually think they're kind of going for a noir detective vibe with his speech...watch a crime movies from the 50's and you'll see a lot of people talk this way. Kinda think it's a stylistic thing, plus when you think about it he really is like a detective in the game.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There has been much already stated in this forum, but I'll say this: his way of speech makes him much more distinct and memorable within the game. Got no problems with it.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mechamarshmallow said:
    @believer258 said:
    @golguin said:
    @poisonjam7 said:

It really bothers me. I've gotten over his batman-esque voice, but the way he constructs his sentences is proving to be much more difficult to endure. Is there a lore reason for the way he speaks? It's stated that he lost his memory and later regained it, but clearly he has no knowledge of how to construct sentences with words like "and" "it" "the" "I" "a" etc, etc.

I've played a bit of 1 and 2 and read the first book. However from what I remember, he didn't talk like that in any of those. So what's the deal? It's seriously bothering me a lot. I'm really liking the game, but when Geralt speaks I can barely stand to listen.

I've played the game for a good number of hours and I'm not sure what you are referring to. Maybe you can link to a video where he's speaking awkwardly?

Yeah, I'm not noticing this either.

Geralt's gravelly voice is something that I get used to quickly every time I sit down to play one of the Witcher games. It bothers me for a little while and then I'm fine with it. I even like it sometimes. I've found Geralt's personality, dialogue, and delivery pretty entertaining so far, I like the character in this game a lot.

I've been playing a few hours and have totally noticed this. It's a little odd, but I just chalked it up to him being curt and short with his words. To try and explain, he tends to say things like:

"See what I can do" instead of "I'll see what I can do."

"Just wanna talk." rather than "I just wanna talk"

He also often speaks in very short sentence fragments that could be like: "Just wanna talk. Geralt of Rivea. Looking for someone.", using as few conjunctions to connect his statements as possible. Again, I just chalk it up to his quiet personality that he likes to keep conversations fast and impersonal, but I'm no Witcher lore junkie. Maybe this is not accurate to the books, or maybe there is a reason for it beyond my assumption.

I actually think they're kind of going for a noir detective vibe with his speech...watch a crime movies from the 50's and you'll see a lot of people talk this way. Kinda think it's a stylistic thing, plus when you think about it he really is like a detective in the game.

Nail on the head, I think. I think it's more from the style of writing in hard boiled fiction than the films it inspired, necessarily (which often have very rapid, witty sort of dialogue - almost screwball comedy style). If you read a Dashiel Hammett novel, then the way Geralt speaks makes a lot more sense.

I really think those parallels run deep, and that's probably what they are going for. The thing that really stuck out to me was how he's caught between the two worlds (modernising humanity and magical monsters etc.) and how clearly that maps onto the private detective in Noir - who will often be suspected of wrongdoing by police, but is himself set against crime because he is an honest man.

I felt that the whole thing with the Crones felt a lot like that sort of thing - Specifically it felt a lot like Kiss Me Deadly, in that Geralt has to go into this place because he's the people he's working for don't have the wits or the access to the things that need to be unraveled, but in so doing he encounters something much larger and scarier than he thought he was.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Speak like this also.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I hope at the end Geralt winds up in a room with like 15 Godlings.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By InternetDotCom

Is it the same reason he can't fall off a five foot ledge without shattering every bone in his legs

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By dprotp

@nodima said:

Video game people more and more seem to speak like this: "Had a dream, a bad one. Felt sad after. Came time for me to make a move."

That sounds more like Mordin than Geralt.

Does Geralt speak like this to other people? I'm playing through the second game right now, and it seems he really only speaks in fragments when he's talking to himself.

@ghost_cat you wily piece of trash!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I have never had a problem with his speech, but that aside: everyone in basically a medieval society has perfect grammar? Or hell, in our modern society? It's not a big deal.

He's a no nonsense guy who gets to the point, for the most part. He is weary of the world. It all fits in his character. I agree with @counterclockwork87 about the noir inspirations as well.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Yep, you pretty much summed my feelings up too, I don't see the problem. Although I do find the level of nitpicking about this game to be kinda funny to read though.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By imsh_pl

@poisonjam7:

As a Pole I might offer some level of insight... this actually may just be a case of imperfect translation. You see, in the Polish language version of the game, Geralt certainly has no trouble with constructing proper sentences. He talks not unlike any other educated person in the world. He does tend to converse without needless chit chat, but not to the point of using some bizarre grammar structures.

Regarding the case of Geralt omitting subjects when referring to himself ("See what I can do" instead of "I'll see what I can do"): in Polish, the information about the grammatical person/subject in a sentence is conveyed in the verb itself, used in the proper form; similarly to how, in English, the verb also conveys the tense (have-had). In Polish it conveys both the tense and the subject, so in Polish Geralt saying "I'll see what I can do" (or "Zobaczę co mogę zrobić") would be redundant, since the information about the subject - Geralt, or 'I' - is already present by using the verb 'see' in the proper form ("Zobaczę" literally means "I will see").

I guess the best comparison would be to the archaich English forms such as 'sayeth' or 'makest'. 'Sayeth' already tells you that you are using the verb 'say' in third person singular and present tense. So the phrase 'he sayeth' only gives us the gender of the subject as a new piece of information. If you somehow could convey this information by further manipulating the word - such as 'sayethe' for male, 'sayether' for female, and 'sayethet' for it - it would turn out that you don't even need to say 'He says you shouldn't smoke' anymore, you can just say 'Sayethe you shouldn't smoke'.

Hope that helps.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't really have a problem with it, the writers are clearly going for a specific archetype.

Some people have brought up the noir inspirations in the writing, but I tend to see Geralt as a fantasy version Eastwood's Man with No Name - he's a laconic stranger who doesn't really fit in anywhere. He follows the same pattern for the most part too - he rides into town, stays only long enough to complete a bounty, and then rides on. Bonus points if he gets accosted by some local toughs and needs to beat the stuffing out of them.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@shivermetimbers said:

He's supposed to sound emotionless from what I can tell. My guess is that verbal communication isn't his strongest suit and the devs wanted him to be like that despite the fact that he talks to everyone. Not sure, tho.

I dunno why this is how some people are mis-interpreting his personality! He loves Yennefer and Ciri, he cares for his friends, his sense of justice overcomes his tendency to be a neutral monster-slayer so often that the critiquing cynicism drips from his words when he stands before tyrants and criminals.. He has emotions and also the ability to briefly yet successfully express himself and hit where it hurts (verbally).

He's just... I dunno, he's quiet, doesn't get phased by much, and he's disappointed with the world and how evil every non-peasant is. His personal story is full of tragedy and accidents too, so he wakes up everyday thinking of the Wild Hunt problems and what not.

So he tries to be brief and show his point with few words, that's why he talks like that.

I don't think this person was claiming Geralt has no emotions, just that he tries to hide them. Geralt even says at one point that he was trained to suppress emotion.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

@imsh_pl: thanks for the insight! I was hoping someone who speaks Polish would weigh in on this subject. Unfortunately, this doesn't answer the question of why Geralt is the only one who talks this way. Surely all the other characters are speaking in the manner you described in the original Polish version, yet they have all been translated properly. I guess someone on the English translation team decided to make Geralt talk this way, and I'm assuming it's because they wanted him to seem like the "cool, gritty cop/detective" others have mentioned.

Unfortunately I don't think it makes him seem cool at all. Quite the opposite, actually. I think it makes him sound dumb and socially awkward. But we're at the mercy of the translators when playing games that were originally written in different languages. Dont get me wrong, I like Geralt - I just don't agree with his speech patterns.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I think he always sounded this way, and I have always enjoyed it

Lucifunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He learned human interaction from Tumblr and Twitter.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It doesn't have anything to do with localization. They know what they're doing by this point and the dialogue is all excellent in English and well realized. He speaks differently than other characters. It's a choice.

He's a monster hunter, not a diplomat. People spit on him in the street. Grammar is not his chief concern.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BlueFalcon

@poisonjam7: Almost everyone Geralt meets is either a dumbass peasant, an jerk nobel, or someone he's paying to bang. He just wants to get through the talking bits, do his business, and GTFO ASAP.

BConscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaqen_hghar: not a decade

At the beginning of the game, if you talk to vesemir before getting the kill griffin mission, they talk about how old Geralt is.

Later in the game when you go to the cave where they test children before mutating them, you will get how old Geralt or any witcher should be when they became a witcher

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't speak in full sentences in real life either, so it doesn't bother me. I also think that's just part of his character? Nothing seemed different (to me) about him between the first two games and the third.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I have no issues with Geralt as a character - I actually enjoyed playing as him rather than my own created character. Usually I don't put a lot of thought into who my RPG characters are - they end up just as generic, boring archetypes (I know many people play it differently).

For Geralt, I suppose I put my own impressions onto the base that was provided. I saw him as mostly cool and reserved - who does feel anger and frustration but is limited in that - he has a deep love for Ciri and is conflicted when it comes to others such as Yennefer (though in my playthrough I thought they were 'fated' to be together so I played it that way).

For the most part Geralt tries to stay neutral unless there is a clear choice or one that he deems to be the right course of action (killing Radovid was one of these cases for me) He works Witcher contracts for money and negotiates as hard as he can - he'll take lots of money from those who can afford it. For those who are impoverished, he has the same standards, but is willing to forego payment after the contract is completed (he needs to know that people are willing to pay up front - doesn't want word getting around that he is an easy mark).

Man I enjoyed the Witcher 3 a lot.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By Justin258

I don't remember commenting in this thread, but I think the way Geralt speaks matches his character pretty well.

I would never have noticed the fact that Geralt's American accent sticls out if it had never been pointed out to me.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By bceagles128

Like them French fried potaters. mmmhmmm

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is Batman and Snake and Sam Fisher and all the other action guys, end of story.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

life isn't always grammatically correct

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Rafaelfc

Because he is a videogame protagonist.

Now why are there semi filled water pits where Geralt can get stuck and force you to reload a checkpoint to get out of, I have no idea.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

No offense OP but have you ever had a conversation in real life? If so you would realize how hilarious this thread is.

People don't talk perfect English. No where no how. If you do, you're probably kind of a bummer :S

Geralt's English is actually way better than half the poor schlubs he talks to, which is actually one of the characterizations I really love about the world.

I don't remember commenting in this thread, but I think the way Geralt speaks matches his character pretty well.

I would never have noticed the fact that Geralt's American accent sticls out if it had never been pointed out to me.

Pretty sure all Witchers are North American sounding (not US specifically, just not British), regardless of school. Nilfgardians and Redanians are "Assorted United Kingdom" and Skellige is "Light Scandanivian Accents".

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Talks in clipped sentences. Common thing. Witcher's work isn't bard's work.

*sigh* Students.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.