Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

To the Moon

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

To the Moon is an independent PC adventure game by Freebird Games which heavily focuses on story. It features two doctors traversing through the memories of a dying man to fulfill his last wish.

Call me crazy... but To The Moon is my "Game" of the Year 2011

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By themangalist

I'm sure you heard of a little game called GEARS OF FUCKING WAR 3.

Certainly I don't hate EVERYTHING, as you might think when you see me ranting on games in threads and blog posts. It's end of the year and it's the time we start making our own Top Ten lists, hoping someone actually reads how much you "had the most fun in years" with Saints Row the Third or awe at the "massive living world" that is Skyrim. Honestly, it's the same 15 or so AAA titles over and over again so unless you're Jeff Gerstman I suggest we all just stop making these GOTY threads/blog posts like 5 people would read. I'm no Jeff Gerstman, but I would love to tell you a little indie game few people played earned a special place in my heart, To the Moon. And you should totally play it.

By Gears of War 3 I really do mean To the Moon.

I am very fond of Indie games. I remember a time I had a 6 year old computer that couldn't run an next-gen games (when it was still next-gen). I played plenty of indie games as they do not require high specs... and I was pleasantly surprised at the unique premises these small developers have in-store for us who are willing to take a break from the average AAA modern shooter. Shout outs to Aquaria and Knytt which are amazing games.

And hence I came across this piece. $12 for 3-4 hours of entertainment may sound a little bit too much to ask for, but so is going to watch a stupid ass movie in IMAX and totally forget about it the moment you step out of the cinema. Not only does it not sound like the best value in the world, it's a pretty terrible game, it has some anime style humour, and of all things, some cheesy romance. I know, I'm indifferent to low-budget romances in cinema as much as the other guy.

But I'd be lying if I said this game isn't magical. This thing is lingering inside me, pulling all my heart strings. I am a young man in the early 20s and I probably haven't shed a tear for anything for the last 10 years. And this little game totally got me. It's bittersweet, it's absolutely beautiful. It's probably on par if not even better than Pixar's Up.

This is the least spoilery image I can find on Giantbomb.

Here's a little introduction. Two doctors in the near future are hired to make an old dying man's dream come true, by accessing his memories and altering them. It's a simple love story told backwards, as the doctors go back in time unlocking each little snippet of the poor man's life. Themes of regret, redemption, hope, love... Most importantly, it does right what many games in today's market fails at portraying: Human emotions that feel real. I wasn't joking when I said I shed a tear after seeing the twist. The colourful visuals and beautiful music definitely helped. So unless you have no soul or have been a lonely kid in the basement playing video games all day, it's impossible not to feel anything for the characters.

The problem is though, it can hardly qualify as a game. Its writing is pretty solid and keeps you intrigued all the way through, but you are guided along a very linear path of the narration. The "game" parts are lacking to say the least, one late-"game" part is downright frustrating. This is much more a visual novel than a traditional game. The game parts almost felt unnecessary. However, no matter how not interactive the whole thing actually is, it's because you are given the little freedom to walk around as the doctors which puts you into their shoes, who know just as much about the client's life as the player. The gameplay is not done good enough to warrant that games can be art (unlike the pretentious full-o-plotholes Jason-calling simulator), but I could hardly imagine this being something that's experienced via any other medium. It's the experience that counts, and the immersion is definitely there.

Jet bike and exploding helicopter. NOT.

I can't tell you enough how much the main theme "For River" gets me every time. Reminds me of every second of the short 3 hours playing through this game. It is sentimental, tear-jerking not in an obvious way and should be consumed in one sitting. You will not regret playing it. Props to Kan Gao for making this wonderful game. GOTY 2011 you heard it right here.

SPOILERS: For those who finished the story and thought it was a cheesefest, here's the reason why I found it so touching:

You sure you want to ruin this excellently written story for yourself if you haven't played it? Last chance to turn back.
    Before the reveal I almost thought Gao was going to pull a stupid ass twist that either Johnny or River are aliens from the moon. I am glad that never happened. It's not hard to guess River and Johnny met when they were kids and made some kind of promise. But I think the reveal is much less about what actually happened; but that River, whom Johnny tried so desperately to let her feel something, loved him all along, even with her sickness gradually causing her to only cling onto the material things. It was the same reason why River was so very disappointed that Johnny told her he went after her in high school only because she was different. The frustration Johnny felt was probably hundreds of times more painful for River all those years. Fuck the Beta-blockers :'(
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By themangalist

Certainly I don't hate EVERYTHING, as you might think when you see me ranting on games in threads and blog posts. It's end of the year and it's the time we start making our own Top Ten lists, hoping someone actually reads how much you "had the most fun in years" with Saints Row the Third or awe at the "massive living world" that is Skyrim. Honestly, it's the same 15 or so AAA titles over and over again so unless you're Jeff Gerstman I suggest we all just stop making these GOTY threads/blog posts like 5 people would read. I'm no Jeff Gerstman, but I would love to tell you a little indie game few people played earned a special place in my heart, To the Moon. And you should totally play it.

I am very fond of Indie games. I remember a time I had a 6 year old computer that couldn't run an next-gen games (when it was still next-gen). I played plenty of indie games as they do not require high specs... and I was pleasantly surprised at the unique premises these small developers have in-store for us who are willing to take a break from the average AAA modern shooter. Shout outs to Aquaria and Knytt which are amazing games.

And hence I came across this piece. $12 for 3-4 hours of entertainment may sound a little bit too much to ask for, but so is going to watch a stupid ass movie in IMAX and totally forget about it the moment you step out of the cinema. Not only does it not sound like the best value in the world, it's a pretty terrible game, it has some anime style humour, and of all things, some cheesy romance. I know, I'm indifferent to low-budget romances in cinema as much as the other guy.

But I'd be lying if I said this game isn't magical. This thing is lingering inside me, pulling all my heart strings. I am a young man in the early 20s and I probably haven't shed a tear for anything for the last 10 years. And this little game totally got me. It's bittersweet, it's absolutely beautiful. It's probably on par if not even better than Pixar's Up.

Here's a little introduction. Two doctors in the near future are hired to make an old dying man's dream come true, by accessing his memories and altering them. It's a simple love story told backwards, as the doctors go back in time unlocking each little snippet of the poor man's life. Themes of regret, redemption, hope, love... Most importantly, it does right what many games in today's market fails at portraying: Human emotions that feel real. I wasn't joking when I said I shed a tear after seeing the twist. The colourful visuals and beautiful music definitely helped. So unless you have no soul or have been a lonely kid in the basement playing video games all day, it's impossible not to feel anything for the characters.

The problem is though, it can hardly qualify as a game. Its writing is pretty solid and keeps you intrigued all the way through, but you are guided along a very linear path of the narration. The "game" parts are lacking to say the least, one late-"game" part is downright frustrating. This is much more a visual novel than a traditional game. The game parts almost felt unnecessary. However, no matter how not interactive the whole thing actually is, it's because you are given the little freedom to walk around as the doctors which puts you into their shoes, who know just as much about the client's life as the player. The gameplay is not done good enough to warrant that games can be art (unlike the pretentious full-o-plotholes Jason-calling simulator), but I could hardly imagine this being something that's experienced via any other medium. It's the experience that counts, and the immersion is definitely there.

I can't tell you enough how much the main theme "For River" gets me every time. Reminds me of every second of the short 3 hours playing through this game. It is sentimental, tear-jerking not in an obvious way and should be consumed in one sitting. You will not regret playing it. Props to Kan Gao for making this wonderful game. GOTY 2011 you heard it right here.

SPOILERS: For those who finished the story and thought it was a cheesefest, here's the reason why I found it so touching:

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Your fucken crazy man, not because to the moon is your goty but because I manipulated your memories into thinking to the moon was your goty pick.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By themangalist
    @Dagbiker said:
    Your fucken crazy man, not because to the moon is your goty but because I manipulated your memories into thinking to the moon was your goty pick.
    Holy shit. I am in my twilight years and I hired this dude with a muppet to change my "life" just because in 2011 I totally picked Modern Warfare 3 as GOTY, and every second of my life after that was in regret :( Thanks for going back in time and making me type this blog post. I can die happy now.
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

I was disappointed that To The Moon wasn't one of those "throw for distance" flash games, with a Honeymooners theme.

"One of these days Alice, straight to the Moon!"

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

You aren't crazy. You are reverent of the great Lunar society.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

OK, I have to know; what's up with the graphics in To The Moon? It looks like a combination of mediocre sprite edits from a bunch of SNES RPGs mashed up with a other random clashing artwork =/

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JasonR86

You're crazy.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By themangalist
    @BeachThunder said:

OK, I have to know; what's up with the graphics in To The Moon? It looks like a combination of mediocre sprite edits from a bunch of SNES RPGs mashed up with a other random clashing artwork =/

The "random clashing artwork" only appears for only 1 or 2 instances. It's not top-notch I agree, but the story is told through the sprites art. I can assure you you'll never see an ugly anime fanart of the main character sprite.
    SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Nah, it was pretty great. Can't wait for the next episode.

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Zaxex

@JasonR86 said:

You're crazy.

You're crazy.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

You are not crazy. To The Moon IS one of the best games of 2011, well, certainly one of the most important. Enjoying pretty shooter sequel 3 more than a game like TTM, that is what's crazy. And sad.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PolyesterKyle

I still haven't played it, I really want to though. I found out about it a little while ago and want to play it but I'm not sure I'm in a good enough mood to become emotionally devastated by a video game. Can anyone speak for how emotionally intense this game is? Is it as bad as something like Mother 3?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JasonR86

@Zaxex said:

@JasonR86 said:

You're crazy.

You're crazy.

No you are!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mosespippy

You're not crazy. Where is My Heart? was my GotY.

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Zaxex

@JasonR86 said:

@Zaxex said:

@JasonR86 said:

You're crazy.

You're crazy.

No you are!

You've got me there. I retract my previous statement.

Seriously though, this game is pretty great.

Beats the shit out of Skyrim's emotional impact, and Skyrim was my GOTY.

Edit: It totally took me this long to read the title then your comment.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By themangalist
    @Meowayne said:
    You are not crazy. To The Moon IS one of the best games of 2011, well, certainly one of the most important. Enjoying pretty shooter sequel 3 more than a game like TTM, that is what's crazy. And sad.
    And what a crazy world we live in. Much love, bro, much love.

@PolyesterKyle said:

I still haven't played it, I really want to though. I found out about it a little while ago and want to play it but I'm not sure I'm in a good enough mood to become emotionally devastated by a video game. Can anyone speak for how emotionally intense this game is? Is it as bad as something like Mother 3?

You should. Never played Mother 3, only heard good things about it, so I'm not one to judge. But To The Moon is definitely one of the more "human" stories told in an age of Hollywood and explosions. I can't guarantee anything to you, I'd even feel guilty for hyping you up for it, though I can say I was decently surprised. It just felt great and I want to cuddle something now ;)))

@mosespippy said:

You're not crazy. Where is My Heart? was my GotY.

Small budget games need a pat on the back for being special.
    Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Jaktajj

@themangalist: Just finished this and one part in particular for me triggered the tears, mainly for the sheer genius of it *WARNING IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO PLAY THIS GAME DO NOT READ, YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IT IS IN DUE TIME*:

The part where the heartbeat monitor fades to violins.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It is my 2013 game (or story, at least) of the year.

I picked it up when I saw it on Steam for cheap and was blown away with how emotionally invested into the story I became. And then I was pleasantly surprised when I checked giantbomb and saw that Alex had given it a favorable review.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

To the Moon is a masterpiece

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.