Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Franchise »

Created with the release of Tomb Raider on PlayStation in 1996, the Tomb Raider franchise with its iconic heroine adventurer Lara Croft quickly grew into a cross-media pop-culture phenomenon.

Tomb Raider Reboot ...? Again?

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

Edited By radion_null

Both Kotaku and Joystiq have reported that Eidos is planning to reinvigorate the Tomb Raider franchise.  This is probably the fourth reboot for the IP but I am not really counting.

Reports have it that the game may be more open world and delve more into the action-horror genre. Screenshots here.

No Caption Provided
    Seriously, how many times has this franchise been rebooted?  And yes, she also appears to be getting a model makeover.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By radion_null

Both Kotaku and Joystiq have reported that Eidos is planning to reinvigorate the Tomb Raider franchise.  This is probably the fourth reboot for the IP but I am not really counting.

Reports have it that the game may be more open world and delve more into the action-horror genre. Screenshots here.

No Caption Provided
    Seriously, how many times has this franchise been rebooted?  And yes, she also appears to be getting a model makeover.

JakeK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By JakeK

If I have to raid tombs then count me out.

Just not my style.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

What the FUCK was that shit?  There were root-fingered monsters on those screenshots...right?  Was I looking at that properly?  Also, what the FUCK is with the person holding a bow and arrow while riding a horse?

What the FUCK are they doing to Tomb Raider?

Instead of "rebooting" this shit over and over, they need to focus on MAKING A GOOD GAME!  Legend didn't suck.  Go from there, ya know?

As for the revamping of the character model, I can get down with that...although she now looks a bit like Kate Beckinsale from Underworld without the tight leather.
    Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Tirrandir

I'm not into it.  The Crystal Dynamics games were headed in the right direction, especially Underworld (despite Eidos screwing it up with the DLC issues).  Lara is best when she's raiding tombs.  It's always been about a lone person navigating a hostile environment, and Tomb Raider at its best did it way better than Prince of Persia (especially now that they've turned it into a rhythm-climbing game) and Assassin's Creed or Uncharted (which are way more action oriented).  I don't think that adding a combat system, no matter how interesting, is going to help Tomb Raider.  Create interesting environments and an intuitive, solid control scheme and Lara can climb and flip and dive and solve puzzles again.  That's what she needs.  Not horse riding and bows and arrows. 

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88

They should let this past memory of the 90s fade away and perhaps direct some innovation into new IPs.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Sonic says hello.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By samcotts

I adored the first three Tomb Raiders, so I'd definitely give it another shot if this turns out good, though I'm not very optimistic about this.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

4th reboot? What? The series hasn't really advanced since Tomb Raider 1, every time they called for a reboot it was more of the same, yet usually blander and worse. That last remake made the whole thing a little more fluid, taking after Prince of Persia in a way or two, which carried over to the next game, but other than that, Tomb Raider has been exactly that... Perhaps it's finally a real, much needed, first reboot. Concept art is nice. Tree monsters are hardly more absurd than mummies and skeletons and flying demons shooting fireballs... Though a return to the basics with some actual tomb raiding would also be pretty cool. I think they need to look at their first inspirations, Indiana Jones, and run with that. Egyptians, Aztecs, Mayas, that shit is still cool. It may seem common but it's hardly been explored all that much in actually competent ways...

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Meowayne said:
    " Sonic says hello. "
    And Mega Man has laid out some hors d'oeuvres.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
    @Video_Game_King: Mega Man's core series, as well as the X series, fucking own.  Therefore, I don't see where you comparison comes from other than the Battle Network Star Force Saga Event Thing Stuff spin-offs...which no one pays attention to other than DS owners.

@Al3xand3r said:
    " 4th reboot? What? The series hasn't really advanced since Tomb Raider 1, every time they called for a reboot it was more of the same, yet usually blander and worse. That last remake made the whole thing a little more fluid, taking after Prince of Persia in a way or two, which carried over to the next game, but other than that, Tomb Raider has been exactly that... Perhaps it's finally a real, much needed, first reboot. Concept art is nice. Tree monsters are hardly more absurd than mummies and skeletons and flying demons shooting fireballs... Though a return to the basics with some actual tomb raiding would also be pretty cool. I think they need to look at their first inspirations, Indiana Jones, and run with that. Egyptians, Aztecs, Mayas, that shit is still cool. It may seem common but it's hardly been explored all that much in actually competent ways... "
    Treeple are a fad...  I'd rather fight the dogs and wolves and skeletons of yesteryear in Tomb Raider with bad controls than fight treeple.  Who says skeletons can't be badass enemies?

Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tirrandir
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Video_Game_King: Mega Man's core series, as well as the X series, fucking own.  Therefore, I don't see where you comparison comes from other than the Battle Network Star Force Saga Event Thing Stuff spin-offs...which no one pays attention to other than DS owners. "
    Um, not even DS owners pay attention to those games.  Unless you mean uninformed DS owners.  :p
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Video_Game_King: Mega Man's core series, as well as the X series, fucking own.  Therefore, I don't see where you comparison comes from other than the Battle Network Star Force Saga Event Thing Stuff spin-offs...which no one pays attention to other than DS owners. "
    Mega Man has had more series reboots and spin-offs than anybody. When people were tiring of the original games, they made the X franchise (which is just the original with some gameplay changes); when X lost steam, they did Zero and Battle Network; and when THOSE were dying, a crapload of franchises came out of this. As I've said before, Mega Man is a hydra that simply cannot be killed.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    Mega Man has had more series reboots and spin-offs than anybody. When people were tiring of the original games, they made the X franchise (which is just the original with some gameplay changes); when X lost steam, they did Zero and Battle Network; and when THOSE were dying, a crapload of franchises came out of this. As I've said before, Mega Man is a hydra that simply cannot be killed. "
    The core franchise and X franchise "lost steam"?  Last I remembered, the X franchise is a different story than the core franchise...along with gameplay changes...which is why it's a separate series.  Zero was a way of bringing the Mega Man franchise to consoles, and Battle Network is a way of getting a slice of the TCG action.

Also, if it "lost steam"...then why did Mega Man 9 get released?

You make me really question your "Video Game King" capabilities sometimes...
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @jakob187 said:
    The core franchise and X franchise "lost steam"?  Last I remembered, the X franchise is a different story than the core franchise...along with gameplay changes...which is why it's a separate series.  Zero was a way of bringing the Mega Man franchise to consoles, and Battle Network is a way of getting a slice of the TCG action. "
    Yea, people were losing interest. With the classic, it was because they wouldn't make one for the SNES for a really long time. For X, it was because it never went 3D. Oh, and the fact the storyline would never ever end.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By vidiot

For those who are wondering: This will be the second reboot, the first reboot was with Legends when Crystal D took over after a decade of mediocrity from Core.

I haven't played Underworld yet, Legends and Anniversary where two great games and I enjoyed what they were doing.
    We need to see more before we can make a judgment, this is too little information.

Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tirrandir
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    The core franchise and X franchise "lost steam"?  Last I remembered, the X franchise is a different story than the core franchise...along with gameplay changes...which is why it's a separate series.  Zero was a way of bringing the Mega Man franchise to consoles, and Battle Network is a way of getting a slice of the TCG action. "
    Yea, people were losing interest. With the classic, it was because they wouldn't make one for the SNES for a really long time. For X, it was because it never went 3D. Oh, and the fact the storyline would never ever end. "
    Back in the day people might have hated on Mega Man for not going 3D, but 2D Mega Man 9 has proved there's a market for 2D games.  I think that the core Mega Man franchise is probably still ripe for a few more games.  Also, I thought the last Mega Man X game was in 3D.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    Yea, people were losing interest. With the classic, it was because they wouldn't make one for the SNES for a really long time. For X, it was because it never went 3D. Oh, and the fact the storyline would never ever end. "
    This isn't the place to argue about the history of the Mega Man franchise, but I'll say my last comments so you can say yours and we can get back to the Tomb Raider discussion at hand:

Mega Man never lost steam.  Capcom developed Mega Man games on the NES because it was cheaper and it allowed them to offer continuing support for the console while they focused on making the X series for the SNES.  Granted, Mega Man 6 never came to NA, but then again...if I was focusing on the X franchise and it was making me money, I'm not going to be too worried about one game on the NES not going to NA when they have a brand new franchise coming on the SNES.  Mega Man 7 came out for the SNES, and it rocked fucking socks.  Mega Man 8 hit for the Saturn and the PS1, and it rocked fucking socks.  Mega Man X8 used 3D models in a 2D setup, and it rocked fucking socks.

Your idea of "losing steam" is obviously negated by the fact that Capcom takes their time to make sure that the core franchise and X franchise offer quality games EVERY SINGLE TIME...which they have.  So...AGAIN...I wonder how you can say they "lost steam" when they simply have long development times to fine tune what will eventually be awesome games.

Also...I love Mega Man Legends and Legends 2.  =  P  So don't even bring those into the equation.

Now, back to Tomb Raider for me...fuck treeple.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Video_Game_King said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    This isn't the place to argue about the history of the Mega Man franchise, but I'll say my last comments so you can say yours and we can get back to the Tomb Raider discussion at hand:

Mega Man never lost steam.  Capcom developed Mega Man games on the NES because it was cheaper and it allowed them to offer continuing support for the console while they focused on making the X series for the SNES.  Granted, Mega Man 6 never came to NA, but then again...if I was focusing on the X franchise and it was making me money, I'm not going to be too worried about one game on the NES not going to NA when they have a brand new franchise coming on the SNES.  Mega Man 7 came out for the SNES, and it rocked fucking socks.  Mega Man 8 hit for the Saturn and the PS1, and it rocked fucking socks.  Mega Man X8 used 3D models in a 2D setup, and it rocked fucking socks.

Your idea of "losing steam" is obviously negated by the fact that Capcom takes their time to make sure that the core franchise and X franchise offer quality games EVERY SINGLE TIME...which they have.  So...AGAIN...I wonder how you can say they "lost steam" when they simply have long development times to fine tune what will eventually be awesome games.

Also...I love Mega Man Legends and Legends 2.  =  P  So don't even bring those into the equation.

Now, back to Tomb Raider for me...fuck treeple.
    "
    "Mega Man 6 never came to NA"!? That's weird, because if I remember correctly, it totally did. And yes, 7 rocked, but by that point, people were interested more in X, right? They got their last word in with 8, then ignored the core franchise for many, many years.

I'm basing a lot of this on a special I saw on the Anniversary thing. My idea of "losing steam" is "people get pissed when Capcom refuses to try anything new with their games", and that's what each one did. They used same sprites, same boss types, same structure, etc.

I won't; I'll make a new equation. Mega Man+3D=suck :P.

Back to Tomb Raider....the first one convinced me that it's not a good franchise. Not a fan of it.
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By FlipperDesert
    @Meowayne said:
    " Sonic says hello. "
    Actually, Sonic just started sobbing and begging for death again to the nurses.

This sucks, I liked Legend and Underworld. They're broken, buggy games, but they're fun.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

So, are they going to make one good new Tomb Raider game and then whore out the same tired gameplay concepts over and over again until they do another reboot? Because that seems to be a cycle now. Oh well.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
    @Video_Game_King: Upon further research...it did.  I just never apparently noticed it coming out.  =  /  
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Video_Game_King: Upon further research...it did.  I just never apparently noticed it coming out.  =  /   "
    I guess that makes the score 15 love, or whatever the hell it's like in tennis.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

Tomb Raider was a nice, new game that perfected the action adventure genre for its time and set some new standards.
    Tomb Raider II didn't derive too far from that, overdid the crate puzzles but was all in all a great sequel with a nice setting.
    Tomb Raider III went too far in the chaotic level design and was largely advertised with "Lara has now 3 new moves!!1", setting the series up for sequel hell
    Tomb Raider IV didn't change too many things, but returned to more elaborate, clever puzzles and showed effort again in the story department. It was more tight and more polished. You could say it was a first "overhaul".
    Tomb Raider V - The Chronicles was another "Lara now has mor moves!1" sequel.
    Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness tried to be an overhaul, with some new concepts and controls and camera, and failed so horribly with its mixture of old and new that I want to stab my eyes out just thinking of it. It almost killed the franchise, were it not for the great decision and consequence to let go of Core and hire Crystal Dynamics to make everyone forget about it.
    Tomb Raider: Legend was a great new start that took the franchise name and setting and made an actual good action adventure game out of it, getting rid of the fighting and puzzling mechanics, and the general level design approach. Legend was a complete overhaul, and a long needed one.
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary was a classical "sequel", not changing much of the previous game but delivering new content and moves.
    Tomb Raider: Underworld, for some reason, decided to do away with everything that was good about Legend and reintroduce the horrible controls and camera and levels and fighting. A return to the old roots, so to speak, rightly shunned.

So this is indeed the fifth "redesign" of the series.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

A return to form (IV), a remake (Legend), and a half-assed shitty game (Darkness) are overhauls? I guess we won't ever agree on this.

I only liked 1 and 4, I played the Legends demo but it didn't grab me.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Tirrandir said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    Um, not even DS owners pay attention to those games.  Unless you mean uninformed DS owners.  :p "
    Most Mega Man Stuff now isnt that great but every once in a while we get a game like Mega Man 9 or ZX and all is forgiven.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " A return to form (IV), a remake (Legend), and a half-assed shitty game (Darkness) are overhauls? I guess we won't ever agree on this. "
    Last Revelation was okay at best.  I wouldn't call that a return to form...unless you mean "controls like you're driving a tank and poor gunplay" as "return to form".

Let's face it:  the Tomb Raider franchise...when it first came out...was good solely because it was in 3D and we didn't know any better.  Unfortunately, Eidos has never been able to get past that point.  Legend was a pretty decent game, and I've always had a good level of confidence in Crystal D's development capabilities.

Nonetheless, this is one dog that they just need to shoot in the face and bury.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

Um, 2 and 3 also controlled like that, but they also sucked in many other aspects. IV was like a homage to 1 to me. Sure, it had the same ancient framework, but at least it used it decently. It was good. Overly tedious and boring at times, but overall, good. The original was a drag near the end too actually. Anyway, I was just commenting on Meo's post. And no, it's not just that we didn't know better, Tomb Raider was pretty impressive. And she wasn't exactly a tank, compare her to the Resident Evil cast of the same era. Pretty agile, in comparison.>_>

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Um, 2 and 3 also controlled like that, but they also sucked in many other aspects. IV was like a homage to 1 to me. It was good. Overly tedious and boring at times, but overall, good (and hey, the original was also tedious and boring at times...). "
    Not saying the first three were that great either.  Again...the games were great AT THE TIME THEY WERE RELEASED...because they were 3D, which is something that was still pretty new...so we didn't know any better.  Unfortunately, Eidos never seemed to leave that behind and fix the problems.

Hell, the PS1 controller didn't even have analog sticks for those first three games!!!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

TR had a lot of quality that went beyond the mere fact of being 3D. Clever puzzles, which is why everyone did block puzzles after that making them tiresome, agile combat sequences, nice music, some beautiful vistas... It had some great scenes, as subtle as diving in a pool from a high platform and hearing the main title music and feeling, I dunno, feelings, peaceful, for once. Or the first exit from the water tunnels. Or the Trex. Etc. It was good in more than being 3D. Sticks have nothing to do with it, they'd only help with camera control, but you rarely needed that since it was a fixed behind view. You couldn't strafe run like an FPS but in combat sequences you did jump a lot sideways and rolling and such to avoid hits...

I mean, sure, they were good for their time and are outdated now but they deserve more credit than "we didn't know better" for sure. And of course someone's still better off playing I or IV than the much newer Underworld for example... Their design was more sound.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By radion_null

I wonder if squarenix will have any influence over the reboot. Borrowing of tools, staff, artists, etc. Just a thought.

I do wish that TR would lay low for a while before coming out with a reboot.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @radion_null said:
    " I wonder if squarenix will have any influence over the reboot. Borrowing of tools, staff, artists, etc. Just a thought. I do wish that TR would lay low for a while before coming out with a reboot. "
    In the end, Laura realizes that it's the power of her heart and the aid of her friends that helps her summon a power that is enough to defeat sephiroth, who is trying to steal all the moogles from the world's tombs in order to make a meteor crash into the earth and spread Jenova.

Sounds better than whatever Eidos is thinking of.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheFreeMan

The biggest thing that caught my eye was the M rating. Huh. Didn't really ever expect Tomb Raider to leave the T rating.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I've just never been a huge fan of this franchise.  I enjoyed Tomb Raider II...but outside of that, I gave it chance after chance after chance to impress me...and it just never did that.  =  /

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By buzz_killington

Uncharted is what Tomb Raider is supposed to be. I wish them the best of luck, even if it is not like Tomb Raider I hope it's a good game. Remember all drastic reboots don't end badly. Splinter Cell Convintion anyone?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.