Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Trine

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jul 02, 2009

Trine is a fantasy 2D side-scroller for PC and PlayStation 3 that lets you switch between three different characters to solve puzzles and find treasure.

GPU Killer - Ridiculously high temperatures

spidy333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By spidy333

I downloaded the demo for this game to check it out.. And guess what I liked it.. I really really liked it.. But after some 30 mins my system shut down. I am wondering what went wrong and I restrated the system and checked the GPU temps if anything is wrong.. SURPRISE.. Its near 100 degrees.. that too on 75% fan speed..

I know my ATI 4850 runs a little hot.. hotter than usual.. as it idles around 56-65 degrees on 50% fan speed anf while playing Burnout Paradise it stays near the 85-90 degrees at 75% fan speed.. But this game absolutely pushed my GPU to limit and even crashed it.. I'm never gonna play this again..

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By aceedkins

Me too! Seriously, I thought my card was messed up. I have the full version and while running, my GPU was hotter than Jessica Alba.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

If you're talking about degrees Celsius, and assuming the program you are using is correctly reporting the temperatures (and that wouldn't be a surprise, if your computer is shutting itself down at a certain point) then your GPU is running wayyyy to hot, in general. This could be a number of factors... lack of a well ventilated case, dust buildup, the GPU heatsink being mis-seated... I have to say, you should probably check into that. The stock cooler should theoretically run everything okay, if maybe still at high temperatures.

Depending on what other games you play on your computer, you may just be noticing this now because of the way Trine pushes systems (maxed out graphics in that game give me somewhat frequent slowdows, where this rig has been able to handle just about anything maxed in the past).

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

It sounds like a problem with your GPU than anything else. Do you have vsync on? If the game doesn't have such settings, then simply force it on the card's control panel. Personally, I think everyone should set it to always on, more fps than your screen refresh rate makes absolutely no difference other than overwork your system, and of course can also cause screen tearing and other visual glitches. Even a low end game with vsync off can get it hot (but really, any card shouldn't get too hot even at full load, so a hardware issue is still likely) since it'll just run it as hard and fast as it can anyway, like, 2000 fps or whatever if no limit is hardcoded.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

You folks ARE aware that running a card without PhysX built into it and/or a separate PhysX card can cause this problem, right?  I'm just saying...that's what I've heard about the game so far.  Apparently, the two at the top of this topic aren't the only ones having the issue.  It seems that GPUs that aren't equipped with some form of PhysX are getting crushed because of the use of PhysX in Trine.

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By aceedkins
    @jakob187: This actually makes sense. Maybe I'll just wait for the PSN port...
    HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By HawkSE

My comp did fine (has nVidia card with PhysX), played for hours without issue.

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By aceedkins
    @HawkxSx said:
    " My comp did fine (has nVidia cardwith PhysX), played for hours without issue. "
    That's probably why.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Lunarbunny

My cards (CrossFire 4850s) run pretty hot normally and I didn't notice anything with hours of Trine.

Do you have antialiasing enabled? I only had 2x, but I think they use supersampling which is kind of brute force (it basically renders the game at a resolution higher than the display resolution then averages the pixels) and perhaps this extra strain is pushing your GPU.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cspiffo

Just open the case and blow a house fan into it while you play.  It'll cool that puppy right down.  I do this all the time when my GPU starts to run hot.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Binman88
    @Lunarbunny said:
    " My cards (CrossFire 4850s) run pretty hot normally and I didn't notice anything with hours of Trine.

Do you have antialiasing enabled? I only had 2x, but I think they use supersampling which is kind of brute force (it basically renders the game at a resolution higher than the display resolution then averages the pixels) and perhaps this extra strain is pushing your GPU.
    "
    Antialiasing seems to be the problem alright. Before I turned it off, barely a minute into gameplay the GPU fans would spin up very fast and I experienced lower than expected FPS and jerkiness.
    spidy333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By spidy333

Yes.. After removing anti aliasing the shutdown never happened.. earlier it was set to 4x.. I guess trine eats up the gpu like anything when set at max..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.