Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Run, jump, climb and shoot...

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bolduk

It's been a little while now that Uncharted 2 was released and I've noticed that the Uncharted haters or people that try to find faults in the game always say: the game is just a 'run, climb, jump, shoot' and so on...

Well, while I do agree that it is indeed the main point of the game, in what way is this a fault? Seriously, look at other great games such as Halo, Mario Bros., Gears of War, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead, Gran Turismo, ect.

Halo: Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot...
    Gears: Shoot, shoot, chainsaw, shoot...
    Mario: Jump, spin, jump, spin, jump...
    Modern Warfare 2: Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot...
    Gran Turismo: Accelerate, decelerate, accelerate, accelerate more...

I think each game is repetitive to a certain point, because each game has its own way to be interactive and tell a story. I mean, what do people expect of an action-adventure treasure hunt game? You go out in space and destroy alien spaceships?

Well that's just what I've been thinking today while I went through Modern Warfare 2 again. People should stop compare everything and take it as just another type of game. You agree?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cube

If games didn't do things repetitively to an extent, they'd get criticized for having an identity crisis, sort of like Aaron Thomas criticized R&C.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

You're right, it's not a valid argument for them to use at all. If anything Uncharted 2 offers a lot more variety than those games, but even so, as long as a game excels at what it tries to do, whether it be running, climbing, jumping, shooting or indeed accelerating, then most people should be able to look past or not even notice any repetition.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EVO

The only people that genuinely hate Uncharted 2 most likely haven't played the game.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By EpicSteve

Every game can be boiled down to a simplistic list of events, so can your life.

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bolduk
    @Binman88 said:
    " You're right, it's not a valid argument for them to use at all. If anything Uncharted 2 offers a lot more variety than those games, but even so, as long as a game excels at what it tries to do, whether it be running, climbing, jumping, shooting or indeed accelerating, then most people should be able to look past or not even notice any repetition. "
    Indeed, that's why I'm not bashing Halo or CoD games, because, while they are actually a 'shoot, shoot, shoot' type of game, they do it well. And people who buy those games like them for this. And I'm one of those people.
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Damian

As a fan of AC1, I know exactly what you mean. It's all good to like or dislike a game for any reasons you choose, and more power to you. But to simply say it's repetitive is no insult to a video game, and shouldn't be considered one. If a game is boring or too slow or what have you, that's another story. But I've been saying it since 2007 now, without repetition and lots of it, there simply are no video games, certainly not popular ones anyway.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

run, climb, jump, shoot and most importantly...enjoy the fack out of it! 8)
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Keeng
    @Cube said:

" If games didn't do things repetitively to an extent, they'd get criticized for having an identity crisis, sort of like Aaron Thomas criticized R&C. "

As soon as I got to the part of the sentence that says "identity crisis" I thought about that R&C review. Glad someone else picked up on how ridiculous that was.  

@EpicSteve said:

" Every game can be boiled down to a simplistic list of events, so can your life. "

You are correct.   

The bottom line is it's nearly impossible to play through Uncharted 2 and not like it. 
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Griddler
    @Cube said:
    " If games didn't do things repetitively to an extent, they'd get criticized for having an identity crisis, sort of like Aaron Thomas criticized R&C. "
    Well put.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Evilsbane

How bout <New Game> <Eyes melt> <Brain Melts> <Climb> <Shoot> <Cover> <Run> <Puzzle>  <Cover> <Run> <Puzzle> <More eye melting...>

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By lead_farmer
    @Bolduk said:

Halo: Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot...
    Gears: Shoot, shoot, chainsaw, shoot...
    Mario: Jump, spin, jump, spin, jump...
    Modern Warfare 2: Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot...
    Gran Turismo: Accelerate, decelerate, accelerate, accelerate more... 

What haters like to do is turn whatever game they hate into small steps.  Gears, MW2, Halo, GT, shoot all games can be broken down to the simple steps.  It's what the developers do with the steps to provide depth like adding a story with emotion and character that make the game fun.  Haters have already pushed that part of a game aside.@Bolduk said:
    People should stop compare everything and take it as just another type of game. You agree? "
    Yes
    Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Kibblez

It's called the game's pedigree IMO. Yes that is the pedigree of Uncharted 2, but who cares? It's done really well, that's what matters.

skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By skidd
    @Cube said:
    Exactly. It seems like some reviewers create this impossible tightrope of combining variety and core gameplay...
    imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By imhuntad
    @Bolduk: Actually, in every game you run, jump, climb, and shoot. Climbing may vary. Uncharted 2 is awesome. Some dig it, others are missing out...like me... :[
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Rhaknar

there are Uncharted 2 haters? never seen one

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bolduk
    @imhuntad said:
    " @Bolduk: Actually, in every game you run, jump, climb, and shoot. Climbing may vary. Uncharted 2 is awesome. Some dig it, others are missing out...like me... :[ "
    No. You don't run, jump climb and shoot in every game. I'd like to see what climbing looks like in Forza or Guitar Hero... And I never saw a Zelda first person shooter... Seriously, I don't get your point. But I agree that every games have similar aspects, that's kind of what I said in my first post, that every game must be taken as an whole and must not be compared to anything you can think of... but whatever.

@Rhaknar said:
    " there are Uncharted 2 haters? never seen one "

Well, you don't go to IGN often then, haha! And I must admit that the GiantBomb community is pretty much 'open' to every game and is not a 'fanboys warzone' compared to many big gaming sites. That's what I like about GiantBomb.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By keyhunter

Nathan Drake is too much of a douchey brendan frasier mid 90's action adventure movie character for me to give a shit about anything he does.
    When I look at that douchebag all I see is a 70/30 hair part and a 5/8ths shirt tuck. I can't possibly get past that and acknowledge that there is a solid action game behind the main character because there are plenty of other action games that are just as good if not better, that have bad ass motherfuckers who stomp anyone in their way as main characters.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By evanbrau

Everything in the world ever can be boiled down to a few phrases even the best things.

Sex: Thrust, thrust, move hands, thrust, take off condom, cry, light cigarette.
    Night out: Taxi, table,bar, drink,   table,bar, drink, go home, pass out.

I thought Uncharted 2 got its pace and variety of stuff to do spot on. I love that goddamn game.

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bolduk
    @keyhunter said:
    " Nathan Drake is too much of a douchey brendan frasier mid 90's action adventure movie character for me to give a shit about anything he does. When I look at that douchebag all I see is a 70/30 hair part and a 5/8ths shirt tuck. I can't possibly get past that and acknowledge that there is a solid action game behind the main character because there are plenty of other action games that are just as good if not better, that have bad ass motherfuckers who stomp anyone in their way as main characters. "
    So you don't like the character because he is too much real and well developed? Of course, c'mon Naughty Dog, for Uncharted 3, screw the characters and the story and while you're at it, just forget all that make Uncharted 2 such a great game! You heard the guy? He wants the character to be ridiculously plain and badly developed! I'm sure Naughty Dog will listen to you. Sorry but all characters can't just be Gears of War steroids type of characters.
    inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inkeiren

Uncharted 2 is more like...Run, jump, climb, solve puzzles, throw grenades, hide for cover, engage in melee, watch cutscene and shoot. Amazing variety.

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By imhuntad
    @Bolduk: Oops, my bad. I meant first person shooters. Typed it a little too fast I guess.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By get2sammyb

All games have to have a set variety of actions otherwise it wouldn't be a game. Uncharted 2 has great pacing and variety, which keep it from being repetitive.

It's about as stupid criticising the games formula as people who really, really criticise AI. Real people probably would react to situations differently but, hey, if you're building a game in which you're killing 100's of people an hour (and your success depends on that), it has to balance fun with realism, right?

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

I disagree with what you said about Gears of War. GoW goes more like: Shoot, snap to cover, snap to cover, shoot, snap to cover by accident, shoot, go to chainsaw but you snap to cover instead.

It's a great game but seriously it snaps to cover a little too easily Lol

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Keeng
    @Bolduk said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " Nathan Drake is too much of a douchey brendan frasier mid 90's action adventure movie character for me to give a shit about anything he does. When I look at that douchebag all I see is a 70/30 hair part and a 5/8ths shirt tuck. I can't possibly get past that and acknowledge that there is a solid action game behind the main character because there are plenty of other action games that are just as good if not better, that have bad ass motherfuckers who stomp anyone in their way as main characters. "
    So you don't like the character because he is too much real and well developed? Of course, c'mon Naughty Dog, for Uncharted 3, screw the characters and the story and while you're at it, just forget all that make Uncharted 2 such a great game! You heard the guy? He wants the character to be ridiculously plain and badly developed! I'm sure Naughty Dog will listen to you. Sorry but all characters can't just be Gears of War steroids type of characters. "
    Bolduk reads my mind.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By captain_clayman

what else does it need?
    i mean, would you rather it be a failure clusterfuck of a whole lot of things, or have it just do a few things really well?

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By captain_clayman
    @keyhunter said:
    so you'd rather have an emotional, soulless armor suit than a person?

and what do you have against the half tuck?
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Bolduk: Well what if the game's story and setting are not very appealing? They sure aren't to me. 
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Akeldama
    @EVO said:
    " The only people that genuinely hate Uncharted 2 most likely haven't played the game. "
    truth
    Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bolduk
    @RaikohBlade said:

" @Bolduk: Well what if the game's story and setting are not very appealing? They sure aren't to me.  "

Well that's up to your personal tastes. But the fact that haters in general are giving weak reasons why this game is supposedly not good is stupid. As weak reasons I'm talking about the "repetitive core-gameplay" or "minor muliplayer flaws" that will be fixed with patches.

People may have different tastes for a game setting, but they will not say: "I'ts not good cause I don't like treasure hunts." So basically, a person may not like the setting, but he can admit that the game is good.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By dbz1995

Football: Kick, wait, kick wait
    Cricket: Throw, wait, wait, wait, wait
    Basketball: Throw, wait, throw, wait, throw
    Baseball: Throw, hit, catch, throw, throw, hit
    Life: Live, game, job, child, die

Anything can be simplified. Its just those details to those simplifications which makes football, cricket, basketball, baseball, and life so memorable.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Keeng
    @Bolduk said:

" @RaikohBlade said:

" @Bolduk: Well what if the game's story and setting are not very appealing? They sure aren't to me.  "

Well that's up to your personal tastes. But the fact that haters in general are giving weak reasons why this game is supposedly not good is stupid. As weak reasons I'm talking about the "repetitive core-gameplay" or "minor muliplayer flaws" that will be fixed with patches.  People may have different tastes for a game setting, but they will not say: "I'ts not good cause I don't like treasure hunts." So basically, a person may not like the setting, but he can admit that the game is good. "
    I totally agree with you. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING about the setting in Modern Warfare 2 is remotely interesting to me. And if I had to review that game (which I'll be doing in about two weeks) I would likely give it something like a 9.5. There's a difference between liking a game and recognizing its quality or lack there of. A person who doesn't like treasure hunts would logically dislike some elements of Uncharted 2 but denying the game crafting skill of Naughty Dog is...I dunno...tomfoolery? 
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Keeng said:
    " @Bolduk said:

" @RaikohBlade said:

Well that's up to your personal tastes. But the fact that haters in general are giving weak reasons why this game is supposedly not good is stupid. As weak reasons I'm talking about the "repetitive core-gameplay" or "minor muliplayer flaws" that will be fixed with patches.  People may have different tastes for a game setting, but they will not say: "I'ts not good cause I don't like treasure hunts." So basically, a person may not like the setting, but he can admit that the game is good. "
    I totally agree with you. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING about the setting in Modern Warfare 2 is remotely interesting to me. And if I had to review that game (which I'll be doing in about two weeks) I would likely give it something like a 9.5. There's a difference between liking a game and recognizing its quality or lack there of. A person who doesn't like treasure hunts would logically dislike some elements of Uncharted 2 but denying the game crafting skill of Naughty Dog is...I dunno...tomfoolery?  "
    Of course you are correct. I am actually thinking of trying Uncharted since my friend has told me more about it. It may appeal to me more than I thought it would. Only time will tell.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mordukai
    @Bolduk: You forgot the floaty  jump part in Halo.  

You go Up, Up, Up, and then you gently float back down. Never mind that spartans are suppose to weight like what, a 1000 pounds? 

It goes like this: 
    • People who like a certain game or game genre, will ignore the discrepancies and faults in it and defend it to death should anyone point it out to them. 
    • People who dislike a certain game or game genre, will look for the tiniest fault and use that in order to condemn said game.
    • Real gamer don't really care for that sort of nonsense and just enjoy the games they play and will ignore the discrepancies and faults in it. They don't have to like all games but at least they have respect for other gamers who do like it. 

Too many I see go down that way of thought. I don't like a certain game therefor it sucks and everyone else who likes it sucks too and I am right and you are wrong so fuck you and your logic. 
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Mordukai: Indeed, too many I see that way of thought. 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TwoOneFive

Uncharted 2 is the GOTY 
    /thread

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bolduk
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " Uncharted 2 is the GOTY /thread "
    I think it's the fourth time I saw you post stupid comments like that... even if I agree with you for the GotY title. Did you get your 5000 or so posts writing "/thread"?
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Keeng
    @RaikohBlade: You, sir, are a logical human being. Thank you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.