Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Should I play Drake's Fortune Before This?

thebignasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By thebignasty

So my friend let me borrow the first Uncharted, and I just bought the second one because of a deal at Amazon.  My question is, should I bother playing through the first one before I play the second one?  I was planning to, but I have a slim with the latest firmware, and I'm getting the freezing bug, where the first Uncharted is freezing on me constantly.  I may be able to sort it out if I look through enough forums and Google around, but is it worth it or should I just skip it and play Among Thieves?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

It helps to play Drake's Fortune to understand the relationship between Elena, Drake, and Sully.  Other than that though, you can jump into Among Thieves and understand what's going on.  I would suggest playing through the first game though, as the story is also well written.  I replayed it on a Slim and had only one freezing occurrence.

IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IceOrb
    @thebignasty said:
    " So my friend let me borrow the first Uncharted, and I just bought the second one because of a deal at Amazon.  My question is, should I bother playing through the first one before I play the second one?  I was planning to, but I have a slim with the latest firmware, and I'm getting the freezing bug, where the first Uncharted is freezing on me constantly.  I may be able to sort it out if I look through enough forums and Google around, but is it worth it or should I just skip it and play Among Thieves? "
    The games storylines aren't connected so there is no need to play the first one. 

Personally I found the first game to be a terrible shooter and a decent platformer with fantastic visuals. The second one is so much better then it that it is hard to believe the same developers made that game.  If you are interested in seeing where the game series got started then check the game out but otherwise consider it "Not required reading".
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

It's like 8 hours long, you can finish it in one sitting if you want.  I mean if you're gonna feel bad about skipping the first one, go play it since it ain't that long.  Maybe play it on easy if you want to get it over with.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Crono

It is about a 4 hour game so it won't take you long at all to experience it all.  That said it is still a really good and fun game.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane

Yes.  I need to play the first game as well before I get Uncharted 2, which won't be until December.

thebignasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thebignasty

Hmmm... Okay.  Well, I guess I'll spend a little time trying to get it working, and if it doesn't, I'll just move on.  Or maybe just read a summary of the first one :p

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By galiant

I played through Uncharted 2 without having played the first one and I never felt like I was missing out on anything.  I read up on the story of Drake's Fortune afterwards, because the demo did not impress me much.

Start playing Uncharted 2 already, it's really good =)

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Shadow

You should play it anyway.  Uncharted 1 is still the second best tomb-raider/shooter game out there.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By the8bitNacho

I'd recommend it if only because you won't be able to go back and play it after Uncharted 2.  The refined game mechanics in the sequel make all of the original's problems stick out like a throbbing blister.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Akeldama

if you can, yes.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By upwarDBound

Yeah the only real connection is Nathan's relationship with Elena. Other than that there aren't any references to the first game. Not that I caught anyway. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

Sure.  From what I've played of Uncharted 2's single-player so far (maybe 5 hours or so), I think the difference in quality is somewhat exaggerated.  The enemies now take about 7 bullets to the chest instead of 17, which is the biggest difference in terms of gameplay and the main reason you wouldn't want to play 1 after playing 2.  I've fallen through the map and got stuck a couple of times in UC2, which I don't recall happening in the first game.  The little set-piece moments and camera tricks they've sprinkled the UC2 story with honestly feel a bit gimmicky to me so far, kinda like Gears 2 in that regard.

I guess the addition of multiplayer is a big deal.  If you're into that then definitely go straight to UC2 - if you're only interested in SP then, based on what I've seen so far, I would play the first game.

thebignasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thebignasty

No go :( .  I tried to get the game working last night, and I just didn't have any luck.  I guess it's off to Uncharted 2 for me....

yellowjello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By yellowjello
    @IceOrb said:
    " @thebignasty said:
    " So my friend let me borrow the first Uncharted, and I just bought the second one because of a deal at Amazon.  My question is, should I bother playing through the first one before I play the second one?  I was planning to, but I have a slim with the latest firmware, and I'm getting the freezing bug, where the first Uncharted is freezing on me constantly.  I may be able to sort it out if I look through enough forums and Google around, but is it worth it or should I just skip it and play Among Thieves? "
    The games storylines aren't connected so there is no need to play the first one.   Personally I found the first game to be a terrible shooter and a decent platformer with fantastic visuals. The second one is so much better then it that it is hard to believe the same developers made that game.  If you are interested in seeing where the game series got started then check the game out but otherwise consider it "Not required reading". "
    The biggest loss from not playing the first one is not experiencing the character development. Without that, there's a lot left unsaid in the second game. All you know is that they all knew each other from before.
    Skye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Skye

I had the freezing glitch as well. Only thing that worked for me was putting in uncharted, it would crash almost straight away, then i'd turn it off, turn it back on, stick in another game, let it load up, quit out, and then put uncharted back in. 

Up to you at the end of the day but it's worth playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.