Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Beta's not that bad, but I have one issue...

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By imsh_pl

...the maps are terrible.

I don't know who thought that having the option to flank every position on the map and getting rid of set spawn points AT THE SAME TIME was a good idea but that man should be publicly hanged.

The maps' biggest issues imo are:
    1.A ton of random narrow alleys. Seriously, there are almost no open areas at all and I feel like a shotgun wielding opponent can just jump from around the corner and I will have no chance to defend whatsoever. The maps also
    2.fail to show you a clear main path you're supposed to be following. A well designed TDM map should imo have a set path from the teams' spawn points and a few branching alleys/underground passages/whatever so you can flank your opponent (that's the overall idea at least, of course the main path can be littered with cover or go underground - but I think there should be a clear main path). In Uncharted 3's case the maps are just medium sized arenas - I feel like I'm lost all the time and have no indication where to proceed (in a standard shooter - Uncharted 2 included -  you knew where to go to get into the action - in U3 the 'ok I know everyone will be there shooting each other' areas' locations seem to be unclear). Combine that with the
    3.random spawn points and it's extremely hard to know where you're supposed to be going. Furthermore, since the maps are not open and have a lot of narrow spaces you just keep being shot in the back before you even have a chance to respond.

The maps just feel so random to me; every life I just spawn in a different place (3), walk a few feet chaotically (2) and then proceed to get shot by a guy who spawned 10 feet behind me (1,3).

Have you enjoyed the beta so far? What are your thoughts on the maps?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I've only played FFA and, though there are just 2 maps, they seem to be just fine for that game mode. 

The one problem I have with the beta is I can't change the firing button to R2 instead of R1. That's very frustrating.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

I really like both the maps

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

They feel fine to me albeit the spawn points that you mentioned. I'll be running to and fro when dudes suddenly spawn in front of me resulting either one of us getting shot at unexpectedly and vice versa. They need to fix that. Otherwise, the multiplayer seems so much better this time around. My minds still pretty numb from playing those two maps for fours though...

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

I love the beta and I think the maps are pretty good. I especially like the opening sequence to Airstrip.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By imsh_pl

Let me be clear, I think that the maps are fine for FFA, however I don't really like how TDM plays on them. I also think that fixing one of the issues I mentioned would be enough for me to enjoy the game more (the three combined just feel terrible in my opinion).

SeanTheBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SeanTheBomb

I agree on most points. The maps feel more like they are designed for FFA. Hopefully there will be TDM style maps in the full game.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ares42

The maps are pretty bad, as most of the UC2 maps were too. The major problem is that it seems they have no comprehension of what "conflict areas" are. There are no spots to fight over, and there are almost no spots where you can't be flanked from several locations. It leads to gameplay where people just run around chaotically and most kills end up being walkovers because of constant flanking. They really need to take a look at how Epic design maps for GeoW. Every map they create has 2-3 clear lanes between spawns, with few options to switch lanes (usually only 1 per side and possibly one in the middle). Uncharted on the other hand usually 4 or more lanes and tons of options to run back and forth. In GeoW almost all conflicts have some sort of strategical element to them, either having to break with grenades or slow push through suppressive fire. In Uncharted however you very rarely see any form of territorial game and conflicts almost always favors the aggressor.

It just seems very strange for them to make a third-person cover-based shooter with a medium amount of kill-time and rather pull map-inspiration from CoD (which isn't similar in any way) over GeoW.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, bad maps for multiplayer for the most part in my opinion.  That's why I love the co-op.  They are great for the co-op mode.  Also I love them for putting in online splitscreen.  Such a great feature.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I like the maps in this one.  I can't wait to see what they look like in the retail version.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Aus_azn

I'm just dissatisfied by this week's modes.

Hunter is ridiculously one-sided and long; I could only put up with 10 minutes of being the villain before I packed it in and left. Medals were next to impossible to gain, but that's probably just because I suck.

Team Objective is fun-ish, I guess, but I miss Plunder. Money's bad and objectives are kinda stupid. Reminded me of TF2's control points a bit in that one segment, deathmatch was more of the same.

I'm just thankful that I played the hell out of Co-op Arena before Hunter came on.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuCTR

Has anyone mentioned the plane sequence yet? because that shit is straight up BROKEN. I'm talking about spawning directly in front of someone. easy fix. no spawning inside the plane after the initial spawn.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TwoOneFive

Not that bad? its not bad at all bro. its fantastic. 

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Barrock

The only problem I've had with spawn points is on the plane. People spawn right on top of each other and end up getting killed immediately if the other team has the plane captured.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

the spawning does seem kind of random. 

i do enjoy the airplane map in the first part. i think it is great to jump from car to car and then onto the plane.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hoossy

in tdm it just seems like I'm randomly running around.   But I guess BF conquest has spoiled everything else for me

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Devoid

The only time I've had problems with the spawns was one time, it made me the VIP and kept spawning me in the middle of their team, because the rest of my team was all bunched up in the corner of the map. The rest of the time seems fine; though I'm used to COD's stupid "spawn you wherever" system.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grissefar

I love the way they have made the maps. You don't sit around in cover all way holding your perimeter, as you seem to want to. Just cruise around with your buds, shoot a dude, take the zipline, flank a dude. It's the same reason there's no prone position because YOU would just lay around in a corner all day, picking one guy out every five minutes, boosting your KD.

There are good points to hold though such as on the 2nd floor next to where the zipline starts. It's a good advantage to be there.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

These are just two maps. I'm sure there'll be at least one similar to Uncharted 2's Plaza map that features the open-space you're after.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Pie
    @Grissefar: That area would be improved if you could access it from the ledge with the zipline. I feel it's a bit too powerful at the moment
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Portis

I really don't like Airstrip.

Once the enemy gets inside the plane the spawns are "lolwut." And if the hero team knows what they're doing it can nearly impossible to get in there in the first place. Actually, if that plane sequence was gone I probably wouldn't mind Airstrip at all. If you play Hardcore mode, that sequence is gone -- but I've got no crew to party up with and it can be tough to get a win in that mode when just paired up with other random dudes, so I don't venture in there often.

Chateau is a map I like a lot, but it's not without its problems. Most of the time it quickly degenerates into a camp-the-zipline-room-with-Micro+Melee fest. Also on the hero side, it's too easy to run up to the turret after your initial spawn, then lay waste to the other team with it because they spawn in spots perfect for that.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By eroticfishcake

Has anyone noticed any hacked kills? I saw two dudes camp out on top of tower (that you can't normally get on top of) in Cheateau near the treasure chests where they were sniping guys through the walls. Can't remember their names but they were two British kids I think. It's the only case of cheating I've found so far but it's pretty frustrating.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Grissefar said:

I love the way they have made the maps. You don't sit around in cover all way holding your perimeter, as you seem to want to. Just cruise around with your buds, shoot a dude, take the zipline, flank a dude. It's the same reason there's no prone position because YOU would just lay around in a corner all day, picking one guy out every five minutes, boosting your KD.

I'm curious why you assumed that I wanted the maps to be less flankable just because I wanted to boost my KDR and not because of all the points I mentioned in my opening post.

Let me repeat that for you:
    (1)The amount of narrow spaces and corners makes it extremely difficult to navigate the map properly. It's also extremely easy to just get flanked and shot in the back without any chance to defend whatsoever. Narrow spaces don't always have to be an issue BUT
    (2)the game lacks a clear 'action area', a place where you ultimately want to go to because you know you'll find something to do there. In U2 a game generally looked like 'OK, spawn, now go along the main lane so I can regroup with my main team and we can push to the enemy base'. A standard U3 round feels like 'OK, spawn, uhm... where are my teammates? Nevermind, I'll just go... here... or maybe there? I dunno... OH! The top of the tower, maybe I'll get a clearer view of where all the shooting takes place... just gonna... oh great, I got shot in the back by (3)a dude who just spawned behind me.'  

All these points combined make the player feel extremely isolated. I can count on one hand how many times I had an ally near me except my buddy whom I just spawned on. Is that how a 'team deathmatch' game should look? Run around the map trying to find you teammates and ultimately get shot in the back?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee
    @Portis said:

I really don't like Airstrip.

Once the enemy gets inside the plane the spawns are "lolwut." And if the hero team knows what they're doing it can nearly impossible to get in there in the first place. Actually, if that plane sequence was gone I probably wouldn't mind Airstrip at all. If you play Hardcore mode, that sequence is gone -- but I've got no crew to party up with and it can be tough to get a win in that mode when just paired up with other random dudes, so I don't venture in there often.

Chateau is a map I like a lot, but it's not without its problems. Most of the time it quickly degenerates into a camp-the-zipline-room-with-Micro+Melee fest. Also on the hero side, it's too easy to run up to the turret after your initial spawn, then lay waste to the other team with it because they spawn in spots perfect for that.

That is exactly why I dislike the Airstrip in standard TDM too. If I'm playing as the villains then the most often cause for me to get on the plane is through one of those ''lolwut'' spawns. Plus I appear to have trouble jumping across the trucks too... seriously, my character will sometimes leap and bounce off like it wasn't a latch-able surface. 

The Chateau is more balanced I think, though there is a lot of camping up in the top floor of the chateau.. which I myself enjoy doing I'll admit :P The turret thing isn't so much an issue because the villains (on regular TDM) at least have the grenade launcher spawned right in there face, and it's still easy enough to quickly head left from the opening space and go around the turret for a juicy piece of flank.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Sooty

I've been playing for a while and the gunplay is really crap. It feels super loose and it doesn't pack any punch. I like the rest of the game but the shooting is rather important...

and people can kill each other simultaneously a lot, I see it happen all the time. They need to change grenades too, it's a better tactic to just throw a grenade at someone in close quarters then run off because they explode so damn quick!

NewfieBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NewfieBullet

Hopefully they'll have plenty of maps not just 8 or 10.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yummylee
    @newfiebullet said:
    Hopefully they'll have plenty of maps not just 8 or 10.
    Considering how dynamic some maps can be, that's the most I expect we'll get out of Uncharted 3 during its launch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.