Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

Ending Talk (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Keeng

Man, I still can't believe this game is out! I finished it about 10 hours ago and there's one thing about the ending that's been stuck in my mind.

(SPOLIER ALERT)

What ring does Sully give Drake? And why does that make Elena so happy?

EDIT: Learned how to and implemented a spoiler block.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Didn't read what you said, but damn! How the hell did you finish it already?

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Samaritan
    JacobG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JacobG

Finished the game a few hours ago, here's what I thought about the ending:

I thought Sully gave Drake a wedding ring. I think that after UC2, Drake and Elena planned on getting married, but for some reason Drake had reservations whether it be commitment issues or not wanting to drag Elena into his dangerous lifestyle, so he sort of post-poned things, hence why Elena still wears her ring. Either that, or they actually got married and then got divorced. There was a lot of subtle things with Drake and Elena's relationship that I thought was done really well in the game.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Keeng

@Xtrememuffinman: I picked it up at midnight and played it straight through starting at 6 am this morning.

I was kind of thinking maybe they were saying Elena and Drake were engaged or he'd at least proposed and been shot down (especially in the scene where he lays on her lap) but that doesn't explain him having a ring, does it? Also, it's a plain, band ring sort of like a wedding band which implies that they were married and split up. But there's that last other confusing detail which is: why the hell did Sully have it, then?!
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

As someone who hasn't played any Uncharted game this sounds extremely lame.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By NTM

To tell you the truth, I don't think Uncharted's story is good enough to warrant a spoiler warning, or more specifically, what you spoiled.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Keeng

Clearly, there are many people who do think the story warrants such things. It'd be foolish of me to assume the amount of secrecy players want with regard to this game. I'm just trying not to be a douchebag.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By RedRoach

From my understanding they were married/engaged and something along the way went south and they spilt up, it's implied that Drake was the one who walked away. Sully must've kept the ring after Drake threw it away or something like that knowing they'd get back together.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuperCycle

@Jason_Bourne: That's exactly what I think happened as well. I figured it was pretty evident from the conversations they had.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Keeng

@Jason_Bourne: That's my general interpretation as well. Man, I'd love an Uncharted game that explores their relationship more. I know they kind of already did that with the first game, but Elena's my favorite character.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Yanngc33

@NTM said:

To tell you the truth, I don't think Uncharted's story is good enough to warrant a spoiler warning, or more specifically, what your spoiled.

Agreed, it's like an Idiana Jones movie, you know the ending before you even start playing it

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Keeng

@Yanngc33: Also, you don't.

Avatar image for kingdom_hearts46
    Kingdom_Hearts46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kingdom_Hearts46

it's weird uncharted never explained why talbot didnt die when charlie cutter shot him

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MiniPato

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

it's weird uncharted never explained why talbot didnt die when charlie cutter shot him

Probably a bullet proof vest?

Did they ever explain the big spider swarms and Talbot's decomposed henchman at the Chateau?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@MiniPato said:

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

Did they ever explain the big spider swarms and Talbot's decomposed henchman at the Chateau?

Just completed the game literally seconds ago.... and, well...

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@MiniPato said:

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

I think the decomposed henchman was probably sucked dry by the spiders. As for the spiders themselves... I don't know, spiders are scary?

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @wasteguru said:

@MiniPato said:

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

I think the decomposed henchman was probably sucked dry by the spiders. As for the spiders themselves... I don't know, spiders are scary?

Exactly my thoughts on the agent and the spiders were used as a defense of the artifacts and whatnot, in my opinion.
    Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Crash_Happy

There's a bunch of loose threads that I assume ended up cut due either to the game running very long or the dev time running long. They seemed to be intending to do a whole mystical thing with the bad guys but aside from a few mentions the only thing that delves that way are Talbot not dying and the tarot card. To be honest the main plot thread makes no sense.

But yes, they were married and then separated.

BatmanReturned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BatmanReturned

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

That and when Marlowe reveals Nate's real name is not Drake then never ever go back to it in any form is another glaring plot hole.

Stingraymond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stingraymond

@NTM said:

To tell you the truth, I don't think Uncharted's story is good enough to warrant a spoiler warning, or more specifically, what your spoiled.

This.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @BatmanReturned said:

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

That and when Marlowe reveals Nate's real name is not Drake then never ever go back to it in any form is another glaring plot hole.

That bugged me. I was like "What the fuck!? What's his name, then?" and they literally never mentioned it again. Really irked me.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

@Keeng: Didn't notice you even replied, and yeah, I understand, but I'm just saying, what I said is true, but you are right since it applies to every game I guess. I also noticed I accidentally made a typo on my first post, fixed now.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Keeng

I don't think you guys know what plot hole means. I think a lot of the story is intentionally minimalist, just like the relationship between Drake and Elena. The dead agent is most likely a reference to the spiders and I'd imagine the tarot cards and Talbot's mysticism are all supposed to add to the "un-fuck-with-ability" of the secret society. A lot of the details seem intentionally left up to interpretation.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpencerTucksen said:

@BatmanReturned said:

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

That bugged me. I was like "What the fuck!? What's his name, then?" and they literally never mentioned it again. Really irked me.

It really was already implied that it wasn't his name, since around the first game. Francis Drake never had any heirs, Nathan claims he is an descendant to Drake and some native's illegitimate child. Of course his name isn't Drake.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Buscemi

His true name is Nate Targaryen, son of the dragon and stuff.

solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By solidejake

Okay, what about the ring? And I swear, Talbot had super strength. Being able to throw Drake out the window like that? And what about when both Chloe and Cutter's phones were just conveniently gone? That seemed way to sketchy seeing as there were guards all around, and they were fine, walking around, without hiding, or anything. On top of it, it seemed like the voice direction made it seem that they weren't all too legitimate.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @allworkandlowpay said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

@BatmanReturned said:

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

It really was already implied that it wasn't his name, since around the first game. Francis Drake never had any heirs, Nathan claims he is an descendant to Drake and some native's illegitimate child. Of course his name isn't Drake.

I know that. They mention it in every game. But it's still something I want to know. The whole real name.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nottle

@SpencerTucksen said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

@BatmanReturned said:

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

I know that. They mention it in every game. But it's still something I want to know. The whole real name.

Does that really matter though? Knowing his name serves no relevence to the plot. His name may as well be Drake, Marlowe pretty much says so at the end of the game.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @Nottle said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@SpencerTucksen said:

@BatmanReturned said:

@Kingdom_Hearts46 said:

Does that really matter though? Knowing his name serves no relevence to the plot. His name may as well be Drake, Marlowe pretty much says so at the end of the game.

I understand. It's just a curiosity that I have. Lol, As I'm sure others have.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nottle

@SpencerTucksen: Yeah, I get where your coming from. It's just I'm in the boat that not everything needs to be explained to the audience if the writing and acting is good ebough. Marlowe know's Drake's real name and Drake knows that Marlowe knows his real name, so it doesn't need to be said outright.

Same thing goes for the ring. Elena knows what happend between them and Drake knows what happened, so they don't need to explain it again to eachother. You can tell from their body language and the way they talk to eachother that something went sour. They could have been married, or maybe they were just engaged.

Things like that are the reason I think these characters are interesting. With the exeption of Elena ( and I guess the flashback with Sully in this game) you never see how Drake meets any of his friends. They already have established relationships. They will bring up old stories or inside jokes to eachother and it feels like Drake has known Sully, Chloe, and and even some of the villains forever. Something may happen between games that you never see and thats fine it just shows that Drake's "life" didn't stop after the game was over.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Liquidus

To be honest, I felt like the desert stuff comes in too late in the game for it to be THE thing for this game(like the snow areas in the Uncharted 2). It's all over the cover, it's all over the main menu so as I was playing the game, every now and again I'd wonder when the desert stuff is gonna show up.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @Nottle said:

@SpencerTucksen: Yeah, I get where your coming from. It's just I'm in the boat that not everything needs to be explained to the audience if the writing and acting is good ebough. Marlowe know's Drake's real name and Drake knows that Marlowe knows his real name, so it doesn't need to be said outright.

Same thing goes for the ring. Elena knows what happend between them and Drake knows what happened, so they don't need to explain it again to eachother. You can tell from their body language and the way they talk to eachother that something went sour. They could have been married, or maybe they were just engaged.

Things like that are the reason I think these characters are interesting. With the exeption of Elena ( and I guess the flashback with Sully in this game) you never see how Drake meets any of his friends. They already have established relationships. They will bring up old stories or inside jokes to eachother and it feels like Drake has known Sully, Chloe, and and even some of the villains forever. Something may happen between games that you never see and thats fine it just shows that Drake's "life" didn't stop after the game was over.

I absolutely agree. I love it when games can manage that, in the same way movies often do. I would have liked another flashback sequence or something simply because I am curious as to how certain characters came into each other's lives. How does everyone know Cutter? Maybe something like that, since he was my favorite character. I am perfectly okay with it how it is because I think the acting is stellar. I just love more of the story because it's so damn good, to me.
    Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Yanngc33 said:

@NTM said:

Agreed, it's like an Idiana Jones movie, you know the ending before you even start playing it

That doesn't stop it from being interesting. And as far as spoilers go there's nothing wrong with a little caution and courtesy. Why not put a spoiler warning just in case? Also, if you don't like Uncharted, why are you on an Uncharted thread?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM
    @ultimatepunchrod said:

@Yanngc33 said:

@NTM said:

To tell you the truth, I don't think Uncharted's story is good enough to warrant a spoiler warning, or more specifically, what you spoiled.

That doesn't stop it from being interesting. And as far as spoilers go there's nothing wrong with a little caution and courtesy. Why not put a spoiler warning just in case? Also, if you don't like Uncharted, why are you on an Uncharted thread?

I never said I didn't like Uncharted. And yes, if you would have read a little bit further into the thread, you would have saw that I clarified that I understand why it's fine that he put spoilers. I still think though, that the Uncharted story is the equivalent to something like National Treasure, and the thing he spoiled wasn't something that would really ruin anything. As a matter of fact, I love Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I accepted the superb quality of Uncharted 2, though I was less than thrilled as I played that. I still haven't played Uncharted 3, and as much as I'd like to, I don't know when I will.
    Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Robo

I didn't like how they just wrapped up the story you followed the entire game in an unsatisfying (see: the exits of the two main villains) and almost dismissive way, like, "oh well, city's gone and they're all dead...moving on" then fell back on some romantic ending that had only been hinted at briefly earlier on but never fully explained.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#37  Edited By Soap

Drake broke it off with Elena when he realized that Chloe was in fact way hotter.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By Castiel

How did you not know what the ring meant?

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By Kierkegaard

@SpencerTucksen said:

@Nottle said:

I absolutely agree. I love it when games can manage that, in the same way movies often do. I would have liked another flashback sequence or something simply because I am curious as to how certain characters came into each other's lives. How does everyone know Cutter? Maybe something like that, since he was my favorite character. I am perfectly okay with it how it is because I think the acting is stellar. I just love more of the story because it's so damn good, to me.

I want desperately to love this story. I love a lot of its intentions. I love the minimalism you all are pointing to. Its a smart story for smart people, at least for the most part. You have to do some inferring and be willing to accept ambiguity. The resolution with Elena is elegant. But the ending, in terms of giving resolution to Drake's psychology, Sully's age, and the main thrust of Ubar and the cult felt rushed and lacking.

Did anyone else, like me and my partner, feel a rush of excitement when they saw the scuba gear? An underwater level?! No, silly person, just a way to let the characters do something cool instead of you. Uncharted *never* does that. I climb the halls of a tipped cruised ship. I gallop toward trucks. I run on falling masonry. What the hell is with this ending? I really think they didn't have the time to flesh it out. There is no big villain speech of what the hell is going on and why (Sully gives it a shot, but that's just his summation). There is no epic new gameplay at the end, like an underwater action sequence would have been. Just a couple shots and no more giant vase. What gives?

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Klaimore

Nice I wondered about the wedding band, also did anyone else feel how that the game ended too quick. To me it felt Ike the last part just ended a little abruptly.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By yakov456

This game wrapped up way too fast. The last sequence and the ending. I was hoping for much more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.