Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

On an expedition to find the mythical "Atlantis of the Sands" in the heart of the Arabian Desert, Nathan Drake and his partner, Victor Sullivan, encounter a deceptive organization led by a ruthless dictator. Terrible secrets unfold, causing Drake's quest to descend into a bid for survival.

How Smart Uncharted Fans Changed Naughty Dog's Game

• 198 results
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Hizang said:

The people who wanted to play Uncharted 3 have already played Uncharted 3.

Uncharted is infinitely replayable in my eyes. I've beaten Uncharted 2 five times, and Uncharted 3, three times, have a platinum in both and I still pop them both in once in a while. The type of epic action is just so fun to play through, even if you already played through it multiple times. It's like watching your favorite movie a hundred times over.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

This shows why Naughty Dog are some of the best in the industry.

Sugreev2001_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Sugreev2001_1

Tell them to bring back the Cutscene Theater !!!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Vitor said:

@LiquidPrince said:

As a fan who has beaten Uncharted 2 five times, and Uncharted 3, three times, with a platinum in both, I can say that there is very little difference between the two. There are only two aspects that have changed:

1. The diagonal movement of the reticule has reduced speed. So movement left to right, or up and down is the same as it was, but diagonal movement speed has been reduced, making the overall shooting feel slower.

2. Naughty Dog mentions on the disc special features that they changed how the bullet leaves the gun. They say that in Uncharted 2 it was possible for the bullet to leave the gun at an angle, however in Uncharted 3, it always leaves completley straight. Meaning that unless the reticule is EXACTLY on top of an enemies head, it is possible the bullet will fly past him, even when it looks like it should have hit.

In Uncharted 2, I assume since the bullet could leave the barrel at an angle, there was a sort of pseudo auto aim, that ever so slightly helped the player direct their bullets.

Overall the changes are super minor however.

I'm going to have to direct you to the video I posted on the first page of comments for this article - that DEFINITELY did not happen in UC2. And that's not an issue of bullet flight trajectory or diagonal movement. Something is causing the reticule to 'stick' to the x and y axis - and that was not the case in UC2.

@AmericanNinja said:

Sad thing is there is no aiming problem. It's working fine for me. The kids at NeoGAF have talked themselves into thinking there is an aiming problem. Its all in their heads. Can't believe ND listened to some kids at a videogame messageboard.

Go check the videos Gaf posted. Or the video I recorded and put in the first page of posts here. You're the delusional one if you're willing to ignore all that evidence, not the people over at Gaf who actually collected the info and presented it in a coherent manner for ND to work with.

The sticking is not an issue that I can reproduce. I tested the games out myself when the game was released because I felt a slight difference. Upon testing, I noticed that the main difference is the speed of the diagonal reticule movement. While I'm not denying it is an issue some may have faced, the sticking never happened for me, and I couldn't reproduce it.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By abrasion

Now if only we could get this for BF3 - I adore the game but it really needs some subtle weaking :/

NipCrip66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By NipCrip66

Fair play to ND for doing this. Everyone I knew who played this got frustrated by the gunplay and all that it was worse than UC2. I know there are other issues with this game but this would definitely make the gameplay less frustrating.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about the removal of all the single-player rewards and tweaks? Getting rid of that stuff completely destroyed the game's replay value for me.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By vitor

@LiquidPrince: Really? Weird. I managed to reproduce it several times. Changed controllers and even consoles and still had the same issues.

Are you using a launch model or one of the newer slims?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Vitor said:

@LiquidPrince: Really? Weird. I managed to reproduce it several times. Changed controllers and even consoles and still had the same issues.

I tested out on both consoles. I have a 60GB launch as well as 320GB slim. I mainly played on slim though. Wasn't able to reproduce on either. I even retried after I saw the video of the dude, tapping the sticks and his reticule lagging. I just couldn't get it to do the same things. Like I said however, if you were able to reproduce it, then it's great that Naughty Dog is coming out with a patch. I will be eager to to play through it a fourth time, and see if it feels much different.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By vitor

@LiquidPrince said:

@Vitor said:

I tested out on both consoles. I have a 60GB launch as well as 320GB slim. I mainly played on slim though. Wasn't able to reproduce on either. I even retried after I saw the video of the dude, tapping the sticks and his reticule lagging. I just couldn't get it to do the same things. Like I said however, if you were able to reproduce it, then it's great that Naughty Dog is coming out with a patch. I will be eager to to play through it a fourth time, and see if it feels much different.

To be honest, I couldn't reproduce the input lag problem, only the axis sticking in the video I recorded/posted earlier.

I'm looking forward to the patch also as it apparently will reintroduce the object based motion blur that UC2 had but which, for some reason, wasn't enabled in 3 (something to do with the last minute changes they had to do to the streaming tech which interfered with that aspect of the engine). I've put off my second playthrough until the patch comes out so looking forward to getting another chance to rip through the campaign.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By X19

I fear it's to late as a lot of people have already played it and moved on. The multiplayer is what is important to me and it will be interesting to see what they will tweak with all the feedback they have got. The problem with Naughty Dog is they try to reinvent themselves so often that the end result can be damaging. They listen to a certain group of fans for UC2 multiplayer and the patch 1.05 ruined it for good.

As far as Uncharted 3 single player goes I didn't notice any problems so I'm intrigued what the difference will be with the patch.

For those interested in playing co op and competitive multiplayer with other bombers check my thread out.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By AlKusanagi

I must be a pro at terrible game controls, because not once did I have a single issue with the aiming in Uncharted 3.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Vitor said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Vitor said:

To be honest, I couldn't reproduce the input lag problem, only the axis sticking in the video I recorded/posted earlier.

I'm looking forward to the patch also as it apparently will reintroduce the object based motion blur that UC2 had but which, for some reason, wasn't enabled in 3 (something to do with the last minute changes they had to do to the streaming tech which interfered with that aspect of the engine). I've put off my second playthrough until the patch comes out so looking forward to getting another chance to rip through the campaign.

Yeah the motion blur was very reduced in 3, but not completely absent. I assumed they turned it down because they needed the horsepower for the new lighting engine.

Nihilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Nihilius

They are bringing in people from neoGaf instead of their own forums? That makes my blood boil.

They also seem to post more frequently on neogaf than their own forums, you rarely see a ND post on the official forums. It's ridiculous.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65  Edited By Keeng

This is awesome and I'm glad they're paying attention. That said, I have zero issue with Uncharted 3's shooting and I had zero issue with Uncharted 2's. I see the differences but both are totally fine.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I remember being on NeoGAF before the first Uncharted came out, and some changes were made to the gun stuff on that game as well, based on what people saw in screenshots and videos. Minor things, but it's cool how how Naughty Dog listens to the community.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#67  Edited By sammo21

Too bad none of the fans helped fix the terrible shooting and action sequences in Uncharted 3. Uncharted 2 did all of it better.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By probablytuna

This is why I love Naughty Dog.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By prestonhedges

Oh, I didn't know Patrick wrote for Playstation Magazine.

PXAbstraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By PXAbstraction

Very cool story. Much like how I wear beating the original Metal Gear Solid 3 with the terrible camera as a little gaming badge of honour, now some of us can say "We beat Uncharted 3 before they fixed the broken combat." :)

I still think the encounter design with guys who spawn behind you, guys seeing you from miles away and every second guy having a rocket launcher is bad design but that's much easier to mitigate with better aiming. Kudos to Naughty Dog for listening to the fans.

JesseCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71  Edited By JesseCherry

Even if they were star struck, it doesn't matter as long as they still brought up their issues. Though, I could see it bein a problem with testing

HarkinNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By HarkinNecro

One of the strange disconnects was the gunplay feeling different between singel and multiplayer.

typo?

H00NER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By H00NER

Upon playing this game, the first thing I noticed was how bad the controls had become. It reminded me of playing a FPS on a PC with a gamepad. It felt as if there was no aim assist, and that I was constantly missing the target particularly when NPCs were moving. As a result, I unconsciously often found myself preferring hand-to-hand combat over gun play.

I don't read NeoGAF, so I'm really glad to hear that this issue is being addressed. I cannot believe that they tested this game for 3 months and no one commented on the controls. The reviews for this game by most reviewers were so gushing that hardly any critical issues find there way into print.

Avatar image for thefrostedgamer
    TheFrostedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TheFrostedGamer

And everyday Klepek sucks more of the appeal out of this website with his pretentious articles. What used to be an off-center , fun gaming site run by Jeff Gerstmann is now a toilet of college essays, ala IGN Style. Shouts to everyone who funds this - in the end you got what you wanted.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By harinosho

is "awesomest " an actual word?

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#76  Edited By Little_Socrates

A lot of people did not like the new gameplay, so I'm glad they're offering a new option. The gunplay did not bother me in the single player, though, so this patch will not really affect my opinion of the game. Hopefully it will help some of those with larger complaints.

However, the complete unusability of the AK-47 for the first progression levels of multiplayer is still near-criminal.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#77  Edited By huntad

Awesome story Patrick!

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By AiurFlux

Throughout the entire article he calls ANNE Meyer a he.

The fuck Patrick. Still hungover or something?

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#79  Edited By WightnNerdy

They should've fixed the problem before the game was released. Oh well!

Avatar image for the_great_skenardo
    the_great_skenardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video games as an industry are still pretty young, and the fact that you actually Can release a patch in the way that you can't really patch a novel or a book, means that those in the industry are still scrambling to figure out some kind of equilibrium.

visual_clarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By visual_clarity

@AiurFlux said:

It is indeed ARNE Meyer and he is a guy. (Pic below)

No Caption Provided
    subsalicylate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By subsalicylate

@patrickklepek   
    Error in article:  
    ... being able upfront with...

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#83  Edited By Brackynews

@AiurFlux: Might want to increase your font size, there. It's ARNE.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By X19
    @Nihilius said:

They are bringing in people from neoGaf instead of their own forums? That makes my blood boil.

They also seem to post more frequently on neogaf than their own forums, you rarely see a ND post on the official forums. It's ridiculous.

I'm a regular on the ND forum and the Community manager spends more time on Gaf than the official forum. The mods post more than the people who are supposed to give information. It's funny because threads get made which are basically just copy/paste from NeoGaf as they get updates before the ND forum does. 

I honestly don't care though as it just shows the official forum has lost it's effectiveness in giving critical feedback. It happens to most official forums I guess as the same threads get made on the same problems everyday. Who is going to listen especially as most of them are just plain whining threads at this point.
    Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I thought the aiming in uncharted 3 felt really off, but I thought maybe it was just because I hadn't played the second in a while. Good to know they're going to be fixing it, because I actually have a much harder time playing 3 than I did with 2

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Man, that drove me crazy, the little I played of it! Awesome.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By vitor

@LiquidPrince said:

@Vitor said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Vitor said:

Yeah the motion blur was very reduced in 3, but not completely absent. I assumed they turned it down because they needed the horsepower for the new lighting engine.

The per object based application glitched apparently. Only the full screen representation was still in effect. They had some major streaming issues on old PS3s due to the HDD fragmenting the longer the game went on and, in fixing that (a month before the disc went gold), the per object stuff was disabled.

Not a huge issue by any means but still, nice to have it fixed.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MideonNViscera

Hopefully 343 will bring me in for Halo 4! haha

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#89  Edited By Enigma777

The aiming really threw me off (aka borderline unplayable) at first but I got used to it by the time I finished the game.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By HellBrendy

Maybe they'll finally put more than peas in the guns as well! The Uncharted-series really blows at the whole shootingthing, too bad the games are focusing more and more on it.

randomfella21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By randomfella21

It's great that Naughty Dog is doing this, but I had no problems at all with the controls in Uncharted 3. Also I think the only reason they did it is because there were articulate people actually using good logic to dissect the problem and not just a bunch of forum trolls. I don't know if anyone here was on the ND forum during the U3 beta but it was ridiculous. And the funny thing was ND changed a bunch of things based on the beta feedback for the final game and now the trolls are complaining about the changes that they initially asked for. Still not as bad as the Starcraft 2 forums though.

Reluctant_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Reluctant_Hero

Neo GAF, to the mother F-ing rescue. Bravo, lads, bravo.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By deanoxd

Thats great, and i appreciate all their work on this matter and when the patches launches i can actually go back and finish the game. Because i flat out rage quit it playing UC3 about 2 weeks ago and haven't given a thought since the gun play issue was just to much for me as well all the god damn grenade spam because they built that stupid throw back mechanic so every enemy is just constantly throwing grenades at you. Uncharted was why i bought a PS3 and one of the reasons i keep mine, and it sucked so bad that i found myself hating playing UC3.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Vitor said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Vitor said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Vitor said:

The per object based application glitched apparently. Only the full screen representation was still in effect. They had some major streaming issues on old PS3s due to the HDD fragmenting the longer the game went on and, in fixing that (a month before the disc went gold), the per object stuff was disabled.

Not a huge issue by any means but still, nice to have it fixed.

What difference does it make if individual objects are blurring, if the whole of the screen is blurring?

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#95  Edited By dezvous
    @HellBrendy yeah that's my biggest complaint too. It just takes too long to kill someone with an assault rifle in uncharted. That's why I play on very easy, it's not the kind of game I want to take my time with and aim for headshots everyone. It's more fun just running and gunning.
    mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By mordi
    Nice story. 

@visual_clarity said:

@AiurFlux said:

It is indeed ARNE Meyer and he is a guy. (Pic below)

No Caption Provided
    As a side note, Arne is a common nordic name. I believe it is also somewhat common in some central/eastern european countries, although I can't say for sure.
    bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#97  Edited By bassman2112

Great article, but I just wanted to point out one spelling mistake... Under that first image it reads "singel," not "single" haha. But again, thanks for the awesome read - I love these looks into the industry

Hangnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Hangnail

Singel?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By MikkaQ

Well it's a nice effort, but a little too late for me. The damage is done. I have zero desire to play Uncharted 3 ever again, it was just too frustrating. I banged my head against it until I capped off the campaign, but by then I was so frustrated that I considered selling it off to a used game store, which would have been a first for me. I eventually didn't, but that's not gonna change the fact that it's going into deep, deep storage.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#100  Edited By kollay

Wow, glad I wasn't imagining things when I was playing this from start to end. The aiming was considerably worse compared to the last two. I hate using shotguns, but there were A LOT of times where I had to give in and grab the SAS cause I could not for the love of everything that is holy line up my shots with regular automatics. The gunfights near the end made the experience even worse, with waves and waves of enemies flanking and rushing you plus asshole snipers, lastly the ever douchebaggy grenade launcher bro.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.