Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted

Franchise »

Uncharted is a series of action-adventure games, combining third-person shooting with three-dimensional platforming. It follows the journeys of treasure hunter Nathan Drake.

Should Naughty Dog make Uncharted 4?

• 77 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#51  Edited By Yummylee

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

I think they would be better served with putting out The Last of Us, The Last of Us 2, and a Jak 4 first. Then maybe go back to Uncharted Universe but have Nathan or Elena be a character you meet. I think the perfect way to have the old characters would be to meet Elena when she is 70. Sully passed away long ago, Nathan died a few years ago (maybe you were at his funeral), but now you [the player] have come to see Elena with a puzzle. I really don't think playing as Sully, Nathan, or Elena makes any sense in a new game. Their story is over, their story ended as happily as it could, so why ruin that. A new story in the universe should happen with a nephew or better yet a niece who goes on their own adventure and maybe used one of Nathan's journals on a adventure he didn't go on. Most his life, Nathan Drake, wanted/needed to be like Francis Drake; but he found peace for the second half of his life and maybe just became a teacher or writer. Yet wouldn't it be cool if HE becomes the inspiration for the next journey? The basic game play or a UC game is still valid and great, but I think dipping in with the same characters is cheap. A new UC game should come about in four or five years, but it should have a new player character to 're-fresh' the concept with a new story.

The thing is, it was never ''their'' story, it was Nate's through and through. Both Elena and Sully were supporting characters whose motivations were to primarily (and sometimes reluctantly) help Nate in all of his crazy schemes and adventures. There's nothing wrong with that of course, and Elena did at least have her own motivations in Uncharted 1 & 2 considering her documentary film making, but they were both by and large there to serve Nate's goals across the games.

In fact that's part of why I was disappointed with Uncharted 3's story, because it actually began to highlight how selfish Nate was for constantly dragging his friends through Hell, and when Sully got shot, for as much as I love Sully, I was really glad because it finally added some consequences to Nate's stubborn recklessness. Oh, but then it turned out it was all a hallucination/dream and they still manage to beat the bad guys and everybody's happy The End.

That's why I'd want a game devoted to Sully, because I really enjoy his character and I'd like to see him actually do something for himself. I'd want to see his early life, see him for the sleazy, morally-grey criminal that he was. Give the man an extra dimension!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By MEATBALL

@Pierre42 said:

@MEATBALL:

Ala Farcry?

I'd say no the best thing about uncharted is the amazing set pieces in my opinion. I just don't think they'd happen as well in an open world game.

I'd be ok with a 4th.

Something like that?

Thinking on it now, perhaps you could have a game set in South America, chasing a treasure across the continent in different open-world environments with different ruins and temples to explore. Action set-pieces could take place in temples or when travelling from one major location to the next. I guess ultimately there's a lot of potential for what you could do with the series, making an open-world type game may not be the answer. Ultimately, I'd just like to see a different kind of Uncharted game. I've played 4 Uncharted games that all had somewhat similar structures, if we saw another entry into the series I'd be a lot more interested if it were something new.

(That said, I'd still likely enjoy another well-crafted game in the series even if it doesn't do much to the formula anyway, just maybe not as much)

Edit: Another idea: MetroidCharted! Drake discovers a long lost temple and you spend the entire game exploring, fighting and puzzle-solving your way through the huge temple. :P

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#53  Edited By monkeyking1969
    @Yummylee said: 

That's why I'd want a game devoted to Sully, because I really enjoy his character and I'd like to see him actually do something for himself. I'd want to see his early life, see him for the sleazy, morally-grey criminal that he was. Give the man an extra dimension!

Sully is a interesting character, but so much of what we know about him is about him not being a leader let alone a leading man.  I think they would need a MUCH bigger break for the old series.  People like yourself already have in your minds what Sully was like as a you g man, so not meeting those expectations is just a barrier.  A new character is a blank slate, that sort of freedom from expectations is important for making a new game.   The last thing Naughty Dog needs is people saying, "Well, that not how I SAW Sully being as a young man" or "No, that doesn't seem like what Sully would have been in my mind."  Sully is more of a problem to use than helpful, baggage is not what is needed.
    Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Shortbreadtom

I think they should make a new Jak game... but that'll never happen

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I love all the Uncharted game a lot but I don't need another one. They did everything they could with both the gameplay and the characters.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#56  Edited By Yummylee

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

@Yummylee said:

Sully is a interesting character, but so much of what we know about him is about him not being a leader let alone a leading man. I think they would need a MUCH bigger break for the old series. People like yourself already have in your minds what Sully was like as a you g man, so not meeting those expectations is just a barrier. A new character is a blank slate, that sort of freedom from expectations is important for making a new game. The last thing Naughty Dog needs is people saying, "Well, that not how I SAW Sully being as a young man" or "No, that doesn't seem like what Sully would have been in my mind." Sully is more of a problem to use than helpful, baggage is not what is needed.

What? I'm sorry but your logic makes no sense. You're saying that there shouldn't be a Sully prequel because of the possibility that it doesn't align with what people are expecting? Given that this is all completely theoretical at this point, there's just as much chance that there would be awesome prequel story centred around Sully than one that somehow defiles how I envision the character or whatever. With your train of thought there should never have been a MGS3 because Big Boss may not have matched the expectations of those who longed for a Big Boss prequel. In fact under that mindset there should forever only be new games with new characters, because each time there'll always be the possibility that they don't match what some people may have expected when their favourite characters are brought back for a sequel or explored in a prequel.

Now I'm not against the idea that the next Uncharted follows a young admirer/relative of Drake or anything, but I would ideally prefer to see a story focussed on Sully's earlier years.

jebara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By jebara

No, the series has grown tired and boring.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TheFreeMan

If Naughty Dog makes it, I'll be there in a heartbeat. Uncharted 1 was pretty good and 2 and 3 were incredible games. But I thought 3 wrapped it up and provided a satisfying conclusion to Nate's adventuring. I'd be okay if they pulled him out for "one more adventure", but it'd be interesting to see it headed by another protagonist - either a young Sully, or the next in the Drake line or something in the future. That would be cool.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Oh christ no. The series was mostly garbage.

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Chontamenti

D no more Uncharted games.

I hate Drake and I feel dirty when I think back, that I played 1-3 AND Golden Abyss *taking a shower* it doesn't go away!!!!!!!! ;_;

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Ghostiet

Yes. But they should wait with making it as long as the possibly can.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Ducksworth

They were supposed to keep the trend going by releasing an Uncharted kart racing game and THEN moving onto a new IP for a trilogy.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By probablytuna

Not yet. Give it at least another two years please.

leem101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By leem101

Naughty dog should make something new, give uncharted to another developer. Saying that though uncharted 2 and 3 are my favourite games of this generation. No idea why, just absolutely loved them and I play a lot of games, wonder if naughty dog could do the same again with a new IP

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Marzy

As much as I absolutely love the Uncharted series, I do think it should be left alone now, or at least left alone for a while. It's always great to see new games or ideas from developers, and I'm looking forward to The Last of Us from Naughty Dog.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By phantomzxro

Can i get A & B. They have a B team so i could see them working on uncharted 4 and they will also have something else release at PS4 launch.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Aren't they doing Last of us, it seems like they're moving on from the uncharted series for a while. I think it'd be odd if they did another Uncharted after the last of us. As for what I'd like, Uncharted has spawned a lot of imitators, and brought game design to the next little tick, so same with Portal, it needs to just be game history, there isn't much more you can do with it.

EerieTraveler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EerieTraveler

The series has run its course. Not much more they could add to it at this point.

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, to thread necro, but didn't want to make a new thread.

Looking at what people think is Uncharted 4 concept art snuck into the Last of Us making of video, it shows characters in older style dress, seemingly Age of Sail outfits.

I think they could make "Uncharted: Drake's Voyage."

Step back in time to Sir Francis Drake's time, as he's going through one last voyage, or just another crazy voyage. Then, half-way through that game, time steps forward to Nathan Drake, stumbling on another of Drake's Legends. The plot jumps back and forward between Nathan and Francis Drake as they uncover a big mystery, Nathan is reading the journal that Francis is writing.

Use a more dynamic cover system like 8 days, or Last of Us. The Francis Drake segments use more of The Last of Us's gameplay where there's limited ammo for his older firearms. But, both timelines have areas that are much larger, with more freeform exploration segments instead of all the climbing being just linear.

The story focuses this time purely on Nate and Elena's relationship, since we never got to see it. I suspect the reason why Elena wasn't in 2 and 3 that much was that the actress Emily Rose has a busy schedule with her show, Haven (which also had guest appearances from Nolan North and Claudia Black).

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

Not unless they can bring something new to the Table. Uncharted 3 felt like an imitation of Uncharted 2, with a worse storyline (I'm aware that Uncharted 2's story wasn't exactly "great") and worse shooting mechanics. I was honestly not impressed. Uncharted 3 wasn't a bad game, but it did not live up to its predecessor.

If they create another Uncharted game, I think they need to do away with Drake and re-make the traversal and climbing mechanics. Drake was a pretty fun character, so were Sully and Elena, but they're done. They're action-movie archetypes - there's no "deeper" aspect to them. And that's fine, characters don't need to be "deep" to be enjoyable, but without depth they get boring quite quickly.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think another Uncharted game is not a bad idea, but since Naughty Dog is split into two teams now, I'm more interested in the team that isn't working on Drake's next adventure.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It smells like Indy 4, so no. 3 had a good "ending". I'd rather they develop something new for PS4.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By shiro2809

Really, I'd only say yes for the reason that they didn't answer all the questions that were asked in Uncharted 3, the one that sticks with me most is Nathan Drake not being his real name, and details about his past that Marlow dug up. They bring it up when Drake gets drugged and nothing ever comes with it. To many loose ends that I just really want answers to.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Missacre

No, the series wasn't that great to begin with, and The Last of Us was even worse. If anything, they should take a break and not make interactive movies.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Yes . Uncharted 4 for the PS4 , and a Sully spinoff game for the Vita !

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I know is that if there's another Uncharted, they better not pull the death fake out again. They've done it four times now, at least once in each game. Freakin' just kill somebody already. Also, they need to learn how to pace a game. The Last of Us has just as many pacing problems as the Uncharted games, which is severely bumming me out as I'm trying to play it. Everything section lasts about half an hour longer than it should.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@yummylee said:

@PenguinDust said:

There is going to be another Uncharted game just as there is going to be another Halo, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, etc..but, after 3 I think studios get a bit burnt out and feel limited by their own creation. We've seen other studios handle established franchises well (Treyarch, Obsidian, Crystal Dynamics, & so forth), so I would entrust the title to another group and see what they can do with it. Breathe a little freshness into it.

Having said that, I am a little hesitant on the inevitable "origin story". I don't really want to see a teenage Nathan Drake running around like the opening of The Last Crusade or Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. I guess it would depend on how the whole thing unfolded.

I think Uncharted 3 was meant to function, in part, as his origin story. You see him as a street urchin, a cocky little pickpocket; you're shown Nate and Sully's first encounter; and you learn how he came to acquire Francis Drake's ring after all. We're basically shown the very moment when Nate is first introduced to the 'career' of treasure hunting and plundering and so forth.

Given that Nate is basically characterised by his relationship with Sully, his love of adventure and his fascination with Francis Drake (we also learnt that Drake isn't even Nate's last name, too), I don't think there's much left that they could try and tell. I mean I suppose they could try, but at this point it'll most likely just feel so forced and unnecessary.

Another Uncharted game would feel much like a Bioshock 2. Gameplay, scenery and plot-wise there would be very few places Naughty Dog could go without repeating themselves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.