esler's Vanquish (Xbox 360) review

• esler wrote this review on .
  • esler has written a total of 14 reviews. The last one was for Mortal Kombat

Sliding it Home.

Although it was out just over a year ago I hadn’t really given it a fair chance. I tossed it aside, rather hastily I might add. While Vanquish sat neglected on a shelf I plunged countless hours in to Reach and the many other high profile titles that were released around that time.

I don’t know where to start Vanquish is an all over great game. It has been slandered due to it’s length like many other games these days. But what it lacks in length it makes up for in game play. An innovative styled centered around leveling up guns and a hi-tech suits allows the player to play the way they want by collecting weapons in addition to their own and level them up.

The ARS system in the games encourages players to be creative and use the slow-mo type acrobatics and slides to make your way around behemoth type mechs and mechanical soldiers.

Unlike many other third person shooters the game is fast paced and really fills you with adrenaline, unlike another famous game that will remain unnamed, there is no heavy feeling to the navigation or the camera. It really does feel like you are in a high powered suit when you are running around as opposed to carting around an extra human on each arm.

The story is so/so with some really cool plot devices and the odd Russian you get to beat down. It’s a game I really shouldn’t have shunned, although it lacks in play time it was a great game and a bargain if you pick it up cheap.