Crytek Scoops Up Ex-Vigil Staff for Austin Studio

• 147 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3508 posts) -

The fate of Darksiders remains unclear, but core members of Vigil Games have been picked up by Crysis developer Crytek, and have formed the foundation of a new studio in Austin, Texas.

David Adams was one of the founding members of Vigil Games, and is the CEO of Crytek’s new location in Austin. It’s unclear what project this arm of Crytek might be working on--it’s very early days.

“Crytek has always enjoyed a special relationship with gamers and business partners in North America, so establishing a permanent presence in the US was a natural step,” said Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli in the press release announcing the move today.

“Great news for Vigil, at least the core team,” said former THQ president Jason Rubin on Twitter. “Thanks to Crytek for saving as much as they could of a fantastic team.”

The Darksiders property has yet to go up for auction. Technically, Crytek (or another company) could still pick it up.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3508 posts) -

The fate of Darksiders remains unclear, but core members of Vigil Games have been picked up by Crysis developer Crytek, and have formed the foundation of a new studio in Austin, Texas.

David Adams was one of the founding members of Vigil Games, and is the CEO of Crytek’s new location in Austin. It’s unclear what project this arm of Crytek might be working on--it’s very early days.

“Crytek has always enjoyed a special relationship with gamers and business partners in North America, so establishing a permanent presence in the US was a natural step,” said Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli in the press release announcing the move today.

“Great news for Vigil, at least the core team,” said former THQ president Jason Rubin on Twitter. “Thanks to Crytek for saving as much as they could of a fantastic team.”

The Darksiders property has yet to go up for auction. Technically, Crytek (or another company) could still pick it up.

Staff
#2 Posted by Draxyle (1797 posts) -

Great to hear. Would have been terrible if any individual developer was left behind.

#3 Edited by Duff_McWhalen (23 posts) -

Nice.

#4 Posted by zipperface (72 posts) -

Good news, hopefully it continues for the rest of the staff.

#5 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2230 posts) -

Don't expect much, they grabbed Free Radical yet aren't even doing a new or remake of Timesplitters. 
Instead they have them making Homefront 2

#6 Posted by sasnipes (109 posts) -

Good news for these guys, I'm sure it was tough for them to not get bought and saved during the previous sell-off.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

I hate that game companies usually just call offshoot studios "studio name - location", it's so boring.

good for the guys, of course, but this is an important issue dagnabbit

#8 Posted by Nightriff (4923 posts) -

Better than them spreading to the 4 corners, keeps the team together and they could do great things, could

#9 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2140 posts) -

I still want Platinum to pick up Darksiders.

#10 Posted by TheMasterDS (2017 posts) -

They should try to buy Creeper or whatever their next project was as well. I want to know what that is!

#11 Edited by MeatSim (10778 posts) -

Hooray for keeping people working and getting paid.

#12 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -
#13 Posted by jmic75 (262 posts) -

Come on Crytek....buy the IP...do it....dooo it.

#14 Edited by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

For those complaining that they might not be able to make darksiders.

at least they have jobs and at a pretty good developer no less

#15 Posted by Rox360 (1047 posts) -

Awesome. I just finished Darksiders (like two hours ago) and, god, that awesome cliffhanger ending made me so sad knowing where the IP is at right now... Glad the team is alright, at least. Hope the franchise finds a good home, as well. I still want to see that ending's promise become reality at some point!

#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10552 posts) -

Good news! Those are some talented people, I'm glad they've got jobs again.

#17 Posted by MildMolasses (3214 posts) -

Where does Crytek get the money to run all these studios? Crysis has done well, but not that well

#18 Edited by tourgen (4431 posts) -

idiot MBA suits at THQ get the axe, the talented people still get paid. just from somewhere else. all is right with the world.

#19 Posted by chilibean_3 (1625 posts) -

Do they bring along the new, unannounced project they were working on? Or do they just take the knowledge and work from that and create something different with whatever mechanics/hook they were psyched about?

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

Don't expect much, they grabbed Free Radical yet aren't even doing a new or remake of Timesplitters. Instead they have them making Homefront 2

So that is what happened to them. Were they not supposed to be working on a new Timesplitters at some point a few years back?

#21 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

Where does Crytek get the money to run all these studios? Crysis has done well, but not that well

I assumed they were also a central european publisher (like CDProjekt) but nope, they just made crysis and they have 6 studios for some reason?

#22 Posted by ArjanN (119 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

They license out their engine, and they do a lot simulation stuff for the government.

#23 Posted by heatDrive88 (2273 posts) -
#24 Posted by Zaxex (579 posts) -

This is great news - it's not the entire team, but it's better than nothing. I like Darksiders, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd have Vigil's staff being employed over the license.

I started playing Darksiders today - seeing the old THQ logo and Vigil Games' was pretty brutal. I appreciate their legacy, but I'd love for these people to stay in the industry.

#25 Posted by buhssuht (437 posts) -

phew. so crisis averted?

#26 Posted by Triumvir (462 posts) -

Actually, this is really positive news, not only because those folks have jobs again, but because the engine was probably the least impressive part the Darksiders series. Now they have easy access to some of the best tech and technical expertise in the industry.

It'd be a real frigging shame if those guys can't work on another Darksiders.

#27 Posted by fallen_rock2 (45 posts) -

@buhssuht said:

phew. so crisis averted?

If that was meant as a pun, I tip my hat to you sir.

#28 Posted by Donoram (64 posts) -

@heatDrive88 said:

This made me giggle cough to death. Kudos.

#29 Posted by SgtSphynx (1271 posts) -
@jmic75 said:

Come on Crytek....buy the IP...do it....dooo it.

I second this.
#30 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2214 posts) -

Don't know what's going to happen to the Darksiders IP but at least the core of the Vigil team have jobs now working together.

#31 Posted by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

I'm glad someone recognized the talent that these guys have. I may have been disappointed with Darksiders 2 but it's still a hell of a lot better than most of the crap out there.

#32 Edited by Lurkero (385 posts) -

I'm glad the developers may be able to find a new place of work. It seems like Crytek may have wanted to avoid employing the studio through THQ and will be able to be more selective this way.

That is a surprisingly coincidental time to be starting up a studio right after one closes.

#33 Posted by MURDERSMASH (250 posts) -

That would be awesome if they get the Darksiders IP back as well. Regardless, though, i'm glad to see they still have jobs! Grats, Vigil peeps!

#34 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

I still want Platinum to pick up Darksiders.

What. The. Fuck.

You just blew my mind.

#35 Posted by Efesell (505 posts) -

Good for them. Still not a lot of hope for Darksiders, but at least some of these people still have jobs.

#36 Posted by steelerzfan101 (270 posts) -

Well that sucks, I was hoping this would say Darksiders has also found a new home. Oh well, at least some of the core-members of Vigil Games won't be losing their jobs!

#37 Posted by Abendlaender (2768 posts) -

Wow, I had no idea Crytek are doing so well.

But that's the second studio they bought and they didn't really do anything with the first. Where do they get all their money from?

#38 Edited by galenblade (18 posts) -
#39 Posted by Amaru25 (146 posts) -

For some reason, I hella wanted Nintendo to buy them.

#40 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2230 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

Don't expect much, they grabbed Free Radical yet aren't even doing a new or remake of Timesplitters. Instead they have them making Homefront 2

So that is what happened to them. Were they not supposed to be working on a new Timesplitters at some point a few years back?

They were about the time they got shutdown and their Battlefront 3 was cancelled. Crytek doesn't believe making a new Timesplitters would make a profit so they're just sitting on that IP while they make a new Homefront. 
If they released Timesplitters 1-3 as a combined HD remake for XBLA and PSN for 20 bucks, they could take a chance and if it turns out profitable then make a new entry.
#41 Posted by Shaanyboi (1273 posts) -

@Amaru25 said:

For some reason, I hella wanted Nintendo to buy them.

Retro picked up afew people. As well as some ex-Bioware/Junction Point guys. Don't know why Crytek specifically is mentioned in the article, but... yeah.

#42 Posted by MjHealy (1828 posts) -

Glad to see everyone has landed on their feet, it seems.

#43 Posted by Marz (5646 posts) -

well at least these guys have a job, still sucks Darksiders wasn't bought by anyone.  Hopefully they do something cool with CryEngine.

#44 Edited by KaneRobot (1435 posts) -

@MjHealy said:

Glad to see everyone has landed on their feet, it seems.

Say that to the people who were not members of the "core team," whatever that means.

#45 Posted by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -

Forget buying the IP; they're clearly going to be making Darkcryders.

Also, Crysis have said they're going to only make free-to-play games in the future...so...I hope they change their mind =/

#46 Posted by DoctorSage (157 posts) -

I've been hoping everyone put out by this whole mess finds work, and this is an excellent sign. Way to go, Crytek!

#47 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

A studio that made two good games and couldn't survive. I really hate that.

#48 Edited by Bistromath (591 posts) -

And now they get to make shooters.

Forever.

Well, probably (hopefully) not, since they're making a new studio out of them.

#49 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -
@Bistromath said:

And now they get to make shooters.

Forever.

#50 Posted by SharkMan (636 posts) -

darksiders was kind of boring anyway, imho

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.