Why is this on the frontpage?

#1 Edited by Rallier (1739 posts) -

Not to say anything about  the quality of the game but why is this on the front page without an article/review/video attached to it or anything? Jeff edited this page so he must be the one who did it but I'm almost getting the impression that this game (probably it's title) caused a glitch making it appear on the front page.

#2 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Perhaps we'll see an article or something to that effect incoming later on. But it is a new release so it likely gets bumped to the front page so folks know it is a new release.

#3 Posted by Hamst3r (4482 posts) -
@Rallier: It was released on the 10th. All new releases show up on the front page.
#4 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

maybe you are just supposed to go play it

#5 Edited by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

The games on the six panels below the three main news articles are automatically generated based on the most viewed games on the site. This page has obviously got a lot of views recently.

#6 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" The games on the six panels below the three main news articles are automatically generated based on the most viewed games on the site. This page has obviously got a lot of views recently. "
Ha so that is it, i thought that those 6 pages were for new trailers articles and reviews. This is actually the first time I see a game there that has not something by the staff added to it.
#7 Posted by erinfizz (1048 posts) -

Really? I thought staff pins them there. Regardless, I added releases so that the platforms show and at least it doesn't look *quite* so weird.

#8 Edited by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -
@erinfizz said:

" Really? I thought staff pins them there."

Yeah, I think so, at least. I'm sure Dave said that. I'll have a hunt see if I can find a quote confirming it.
#9 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

its pretty weird, since its a flash game with a gimmick that has been seen before. 

#10 Edited by Brackynews (4082 posts) -
@sandwich_adjustment said:

" its pretty weird, since its a flash game with a gimmick that has been seen before.  "

It has a 2 level flash demo. The executable is multiplatfom PC and Mac, as a paid download.  I expect it will be on Steam before long.  
Being developed in flash doesn't disqualify a game from anything.  And if they stopped releasing games with "gimmicks seen before" well, let's not go there.
#11 Posted by Cirdain (3089 posts) -

Because it's awesome

#12 Posted by Ghostiet (5265 posts) -

It's a game called VVVVVV. Why the heck you're even asking?

#13 Posted by stratzilla (84 posts) -

I was in the beta and it's a very good game.

#14 Posted by logson (521 posts) -

I have a feeling we'll be hearing about this game on today's bombcast.

Also, if you don't want to bother downloading a demo, there's a browser-based demo on Kongregate.

#15 Posted by Munchlax (21 posts) -

I feel like Jeff plays on Kongregate a bit now.

#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Because

#17 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Because Hamst3r made an amazing video of it.
#18 Edited by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -

The music is goddamn fantastic. Maybe that's why. 
Here's a link to the demo on Kongregate.

#19 Posted by EVO (3907 posts) -

Why not? Have you played the demo?I'm glad, cause otherwise I never woulda known about it. And I'm sure there's many other out there like myself.

Personally, I'd like to see more indie games like this on the front page. Everybody knows about Final Fantasy, Bayonetta, Darksiders etc. but VVVVVV was the only one to spark interest.

#20 Posted by Snail (8604 posts) -

I thought that meant those games are the most popular ones, apparently MattyFTM confirms this. But why is this game so popular? 

It's a pretty good game, by the way. Play the demo, very amusing.

#21 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1143 posts) -
@Rallier said:
" this game (probably it's title) caused a glitch making it appear on the front page. "
"I knew we shouldn't have named our game VVV'); DROP TABLE games; !"
#22 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -
#23 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -
@Megalon said:
" Kotaku has a story about it, maybe lots of people are looking it up after reading it? 
I don't think Kotaku is why. This little indie gmae has pulled coverage virtually everywhere. I even was called into action to write a review for Bytejacker about it.
#24 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

Becus its new.....?
#25 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

It's because of gravity, it's been pulled to the top.

Like the review of Braid traveled through time.

#26 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2502 posts) -

I didn't realize ALL new releases showed up on the front page since the re-design...

I thought it was just the big games... I mean, what if 10 shovel-ware titles come out on one day, then what'll we do?

#27 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

It was great when I realised why it was called VVVVVV.
cos my eyes can't decide whether that looks like spikes coming down or spikes comin up; which is reflective of how the game works.
At first I thought it was a daft name, but now it's really clever.

@Babylonian

said:

" @Megalon said:

" Kotaku has a story about it, maybe lots of people are looking it up after reading it? 
I don't think Kotaku is why. This little indie gmae has pulled coverage virtually everywhere. I even was called into action to write a review for Bytejacker about it. "
Haha: "Terry Cavanagh is a terrible human being."
#28 Posted by Getz (3004 posts) -

Because it is a great game and it deserves recognition

#29 Posted by TheMasterOfTheWheelchair (29 posts) -

ITS A NEW GAME.

#30 Edited by Rallier (1739 posts) -

Hmmm guess a lot of people do not know that in the second bar where this game is showing up to now only the "big" reviews, articles and quicklooks are tagged directly by the staff (as far is I know) so that people that do not check the site out all that regularly do not miss them (aka more hits). This is the first time that something without a article/review/quicklook is tagged there and when it was tagged there it did not even have any data other then its name hence my surprise when seeing it there. 

New releases do not show up at all on the front page since the redesign like some appear to be thinking. Quite odd that with every front page redesign it loses more and more important features.

edit: not even sure if articles get tagged there.

#31 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@Rallier said:
" New releases do not show up at all on the front page since the redesign like some appear to be thinking. Quite odd that with every front page redesign it loses more and more important features. "
I hadn't thought of that before, but you're right.  They also took out any wiki-related stuff (i.e., popular pages) a long time ago.
#32 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -
@Rallier said:
"Not to say anything about  the quality of the game but why is this on the front page without an article/review/video attached to it or anything? Jeff edited this page so he must be the one who did it but I'm almost getting the impression that this game (probably it's title) caused a glitch making it appear on the front page. "

Maybe im late to the party, but c64 lovers like me, STILL love the "old" games. and i think that is why. they know theire member base. and want to bring out some gems now and then for us.:)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.