Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Anyone else underwhelmed?

• 71 results
    pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pot

Maybe I let the hype get to me (which gamers often do!) and I don't like the name at all. I was hoping to get more of the specs of the console and I wasn't really "blown away". Of course these are just my opinions and I am sure others will feel differently! 
    I will obviously have to try it for myself and see what the launch games look like to make a more informed opinion. Overall I was pretty underwhelmed with the announcement though, anyone else feel that way? 

edit: Just wanted to add I am not totally giving up on this console by any means, I will stay informed on it and I am interested. But new console announcements are supposed to blow you away, I didn't really get that feeling. 
    BTW this is my first forum thread, don't be too harsh on me! =)
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By FreakAche

I'm interested, but I'm waiting on seeing first party titles. There's no way I'm buying a WiiU just so I can play another version of Arkham City.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It was a cool video, but the Wii also had a real nice video so im going to wait and see if they can actually deliver on their promises this time.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@FreakAche said:

I'm interested, but I'm waiting on seeing first party titles. There's no way I'm buying a WiiU just so I can play another version of Arkham City.

But maybe they can move the cape to the controller screen, so that it doesn't get in the way when you're trying to swoop down onto an enemy.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Kjellm87

Nah, I'm interested. Reggie just said that the main focus on this E3 was to show what is new, the games was for another date.

pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pot
    @FreakAche said:

Yeah that is basically how I feel to, interested but not blown away I guess. The first party games will be the ones I am interested in since I suspect third party games won't be much different from the PS360 versions. But I am willing to change my mind if Nintendo shows some amazing stuff closer to launch.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

There are no words in the English language that can describe how fucking unimpressed I was doing that whole conference.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ

I love the tech, but I was really hoping to hear about (and see) more new games. Luigi's Mansion 2 just didn't do it for me. Where is The Last Story already?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By onarum

I like the concept, I really think they can use rthe controller screen in amazing ways, also the idea of playing the games I purchase for the console on the controller screen in bed sound very enticing to me.

But like I said the wiimote also sounded amazing when they first announced it and we all know how that ended... so I'll reserve me some caution.

pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pot
    @Kjellm87 said:

Nah, I'm interested. Reggie just said that the main focus on this E3 was to show what is new, the games was for another date.

I'm definitely interested, I should have made that clear. But I wasn't overly impressed either. New console announcements are supposed to blow you away.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FreakAche
    @creamypies said:

@FreakAche said:

But maybe they can move the cape to the controller screen, so that it doesn't get in the way when you're trying to swoop down onto an enemy.

REVOLUTIONARY!!!
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By williamhenry

If the controller isn't your cup of tea, then of course you're unimpressed. They didn't show any games for it or give any of the specs, so its understandable that a lot of people are going to be underwhelmed.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jacksmedulla

I'm underwhelmed to say the least. I went in expecting to be wowed as a "hardcore" gamer and came a feeling confused and pissed off.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thornie_delete

Yes. Did anyone catch Geoff Keighly absolutely annihilate Reggie on live TV? I gained a whole boat load of respect for Geoff after that interview.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

It's like Nintendo won't give up on their idea of connectivity and is now forcing it down our throats. I'm still morbidly curious how exactly this will all work. It seems similar to the PSP where it can stream video output from PS3, but that implementation is laggy and the video quality is crap.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Subjugation
    @thornie said:

Yes. Did anyone catch Geoff Keighly absolutely annihilate Reggie on live TV? I gained a whole boat load of respect for Geoff after that interview.

What did he do? I hope there is an archived version soon so I can see.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By N7

I'm a little disappointed that Nintendo has yet to make a console that I want to play.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By MachoFantastico

I was at first, but now that I understand it better and been reading some early impressions I'm a bit more optimistic.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrWakka

This... isn't what I was hoping to see from nintendo. The graphics don't seem any better than the ps3 or 360, maybe even worse, the controller seems like it will be uncomfortable, and no games that excited me were announced.

Between this, Sony and Microsoft this e3... can Sega please get back into consoles?

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Nintendo is still behind. Pretty much what they did today was what Microsoft did when they unveiled the 360 from the Xbox. 

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thornie_delete

@weeman105: He basically echoed Alex's concerns and everyone elses as well. Here are some of the topics that got a little heated...

- Pressed Reggie on price, Reggie wouldn't budge.

- Why it took so long for Nintendo to join this gen.

- Will Nintendo actually keep third party support.

- Talked about how the 3DSs have been a first party failure since launch.

- Why the system itself wasn't shown, and why the specs are being kept secret. To which Reggie responds.. "It's just a box, that's not what we want to focus on."

There were more, but those are the ones that I thought stood out.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DG991

@thornie: 1080p

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VoshiNova

@FreakAche said:

I'm with you. But overall that thing looks extremely cool.

I just like new stuff though.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By billyhoush

I really don't know what people expect. It's basically Wii HD with a tablet accessory controller. I'm sure if they just released the box without a radically different controller or "game changer" people would shit on them way more. It's just a HD Wii people and you should be fine with that. It even works with your old controllers.

Basically, I'm still waiting for the price.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By penguindust

Just off the stuff I saw in the conference, yeah I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm also not too surprised.  I had read rumors that the new Nintendo system would be comparable to the 360 and PS3, and their montage suggests it's going to be just that.  For new console owners and for Wii owners, it's a good upgrade, but for someone who already owns a PS3 or 360, they need to show why their console is worth the added expense.  I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt right now, but I'm going to need to see more to convince me next E3.   

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Marcsman

Color me unimpressed
    thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thornie_delete

Oh, it also doesn't up-rez wii games, which was a big rumor before launch.

JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JFetch

I'm completely underwhelmed. It looks like something Apple would make. They talked all about the controller, but not the actual console which confuses me. The battery life seems like it's going to be horrible on the controller.

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By flufflogic

It looks like they crossbred the 64DD with the SNES CD concept, and asked V-Tech to design a tablet to accompany it. And then you can only use one tablet, making the one use for a personal screen useless.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Raineko

I am totally impressed. 
    The graphics are cool, the games are probably gonna be cool because there are no hardware limitations and the controller is a pretty sweet idea for streamed information such as maps, stats, items.
    And just the fact that you have a mic in the controller. Do you need a headset for online gaming communication anymore?
    You don't.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho

Graphical fidelity is diminishing returns. You can't keep expecting it to look "twice as good". "Twice as good" as a logistical reality means about 10 times as much RAM and GPU. You can say the Witcher 2 looks about twice as good as your average 360 game, well that's fine except some people are sporting 16 gigs of ram and still get low FPS on max settings. 
    Some people are just determined to have a shitty perspective, and those people are called laymans. Fucking non-experts, people talking out of their ass. Making negative assumptions because they wanna support where their achievements or trophies are or some other asinine bullshit child logic. Yeah, I guess they're just having "another version of games I can play". Just like the Wii has COD4. That'll be you now. People downgrading their games to work on your fledgling 6 year old console. Hey, if you're cool with that, playing inferior versions of games, that's fine. I guess you're already used to ignoring superior PC versions of games.

captainanarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By captainanarchy

I'm a tad underwhelmed but wouldn't mind watching it pan out
    roguetracer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By roguetracer

I like the idea of a screen in the controller but it's not enough to make me purchase the system. There is literally nothing that Nintendo publishes that I want. 

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By demonbear

It's Nintendo. I stop caring about that company since I was, what 15? and that was 17 years ago. Do the math, yeah I'm old.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mikemcn

Really need to see what they're going to do with it.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @FreakAche said:

This is exactly how I feel.
    CharlesSahara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By CharlesSahara

@Cloudenvy said:

There are no words in the English language that can describe how fucking unimpressed I was doing that whole conference.

This.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho
    @demonbear said:
    It's Nintendo. I stop caring about that company since I was, what 15? and that was 17 years ago. Do the math, yeah I'm old.
    So you've been posting your indifference about a company for 17 years? Pretty sad, dude.
    MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrWakka

@ryanwho: I realize you are likely just trolling, but the problem here is from what was shown, this doesn't appear to be anymore powerful than the 360/PS3, and Nintendo isn't helping by refusing to give out specs. So what is being presented is a Wii on par with a console I already own, but with the same gimmick based controllers, a new gimmick based controller, and no games that make me see it as a must buy. So the idea this is going to be superior to the 360/PS3 does not as of yet have any supporting evidence. Adding a touch screen doesn't mean this consoles version will be the superior one. In fact that controller doesn't look like it would be comfortable to use when compared to a traditional pad, so it may be better on a 360/PS3 because they decided to add in a gimmicky controller.

Continuing support for the Wii remote and nunchuck isn't a very good thing either. At the very least they should offer up improved versions. Maybe a analog stick for the remote or something and built in motion plus.

I don't know what they should have done, but this isn't winning me back to the Wii brand, and I was ready to fully support a new Nintendo console. Instead.. this is just weird. If I do buy it, I have a feeling it will just end up collecting dust like my Wii already does. Heck, when it isn't collecting dust I am likely playing Skies of Arcadia, or Ocarina of Time on it. A Wii playing a Gamecube port of a Dreamcast title, or a Wii playing a Gamecube port of a N64 title, using a Gamecube Wavebird controller I might add. Guess how often I do that?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dany

They didn't talk about the right stuff, or they glanced over them

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By phish09
    @N7 said:

I'm a little disappointed that Nintendo has yet to make a console that I want to play.

You've missed out on some of the greatest games ever then.

I could see a person saying that about Sega or Sony or Microsoft or Atari...but how a person could not want to play a NES or SNES just completely blows me away...not to mention the Gamecube..  You never wanted to play Metroid Prime?  Resident Evil 4?  Eternal Darkness?  Man...you are missing out.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Vinny_Says

Nintendo finally catches up to current consoles. (Current consoles run on hardware that is 8 years old) How many units can this possibly sell? How many people will pick up Arkham City for a wiiU when they've already played Arkham asylum on ps3 and xbox?

Yes it has a Gimmicky controller that had cool video demonstrations, but that conference was lacking in info. Did they tell even mention what kind of media it uses? Did they even show the box on stage?

"imagine a system with beautiful graphics, friend connectivity and content download" -John Ricotello

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@MrWakka: Well put. I haven't seen any real specs on this thing, but if it's around as powerful as the 360/PS3, will people care? I mean, for me, Nintendo first party games make it a day one buy regardless, but I wonder how well COD Mass Effect etc will sell on it. People are pretty attached to their current systems.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Gimmick at best.  Can the new thing even run a Xbox 360 or PS3 game?  And how much you think extra 'controllers' are going to be?  Highly doubt they'll be as low as $50.  I'll wait to see a real game and not yet another cartoon style visual mario.

JackLumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JackLumber

I'm fine with the Wii U. I'll buy one. I never play my Wii except when first party nintendo games come out. The good thing about this new console is that it seems like, at the absolute minimum, it'll be a console which allows traditional gameplay that is powerful enough to match the competition. Third party developers will have no reason not to put their 360/PS3 games on the Wii U as well, so it seems like there will be plenty of 3rd party games. Hopefully every now and then one of those games will use the new features in an interesting way.  

That being said, if the online functionality is as shitty as it has been on Nintendo's other consoles, that'll be a real problem. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It's crazy in all the ways I want stuff from Nintendo to be crazy. I'm sold. Maybe not day one, but I'll say within six months of launch I'll have one. 

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By captain_clayman
    @onarum said:
    I like the concept, I really think they can use rthe controller screen in amazing ways, also the idea of playing the games I purchase for the console on the controller screen in bed sound very enticing to me.  But like I said the wiimote also sounded amazing when they first announced it and we all know how that ended... so I'll reserve me some caution.
    oh yeah that  controller looks really awesome, EXCEPT FOR PLAYING GAMES.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By demonbear
    @ryanwho said:
    @demonbear said:
    So you've been posting your indifference about a company for 17 years? Pretty sad, dude.
    My english is not perfect, i'm french-canadian. Bite me!!
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Milkman

Looked pretty cool to me. But hey, so do a lot of things.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Milkman

@demonbear said:

@ryanwho said:
    @demonbear said:
    My english is not perfect, i'm french-canadian. Bite me!!

Clearly, because he said nothing about your English.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.