Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

I got a wii-u (for the weirdest reason)

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm just wondering who uses their Wii U like Patrick did (I think it was him) who hooked it up to use the game pad to play off TV mode.

My Wii-U is currently plugged in and sitting in my desk at work. During my lunch break I'll bust out the game pad and treat it like a hand held. I play smash brothers, Mario Kart and virtual console games on it. I take it home on the weekends to play it like normal with friends, but I'm wondering who else does this, and what kind of games you play.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Of all the reasons to get one, this seems like the best, I would love to have one just sitting in my office that I could take home on the weekends it makes the tablet controller seem worth it as a portable screen alone, considering it isn't the best controller ever but it does its job.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and Bayo 1 can be played on the tablet and they are the 3 best games on the system in that order. Just don't play Bayo when your boss is around because it's not exactly work safe.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By redyoshi

I only have so many HDMI ports and my WiiU is usually the odd system out. So I use it off-tv quite often, especially since they added that quick start functionality. I can get into some Mario Kart really quickly that way, and I can even use my pro controller. It's fantastic.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan

Does this 1 weird trick make middle managers everywhere furious?

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Noted haha! Do you play any FPS games on it? So far the only info I can find is the multiplayer for CoD works, but I'm wondering about the campaign. I read 007 legends works, but its a menu option, and I'm looking for things that will work straight away with the game pad. I know, its weird I'm playing third party games at all, but I'm still new to Nintendo (in it's current form) and I like familiar feeling games.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Corevi
    triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been taking the gamepad with me when I go to bed, I'll get a couple Fire Emblem missions in before I fall asleep. It's the best.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I'll be getting a Wii U for a weird reason as well: the third party games!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@triplestan: Wait.. theres a Fire Emblem game for Wii U?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Corevi
    @onemanarmyy said:

@triplestan: Wait.. theres a Fire Emblem game for Wii U?

Fire Emblem Blazing Sword is on Virtual Console. There's also the Wii ones.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hollitz: Zombie U and Rayman. Wonderful 101 is quite charming as well.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Corevi

@mtfikhan said: @hollitz: Zombie U and Rayman. Wonderful 101 is quite charming as well.

Wonderful 101 was published by Nintendo and they even helped a bit with the technical side.

It was originally supposed to star Nintendo heroes, Mario was Hand and Link was Sword. The Unite mechanic was to give each character equal screentime.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By hollitz

@mtfikhan said:

@hollitz: Zombie U and Rayman. Wonderful 101 is quite charming as well.

I bought Wonderful 101 already, but I'm waiting for my tax return to grab a Wii U. People joke about Nintendo's third party line-up, but for every generation, I always end up with more third party stuff than Nintendo stuff. And they are usually third party exclusives too.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Yeah I picked it up for 7 bucks. Loving it!

Bumbuliuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

One of the biggest reasons I bought a Wii U was to play The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LeStephan

I pretty much mostly use mine to browse the web nowadays hahaha, its great for looking at videos on the tv screen en browsing with the other screen. Its super fast as well compared to pretty much any other console I've tried watching online videos with. Even the ps4 constantly "runs out of memory" and is slow as fuck when loading pages and stuff.

I bought it for playing games though :) and I'm waaaaaay looking forward to devils third, that game looks so amazingly awful in a good way!

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I want a wiiu for this exact reason. I'd never have it hooked up to a TV.

It used to be like a pet dream of mine but now I seriously want to do it now that I finally got a vita and got over it already. Vita is fine but I'd like to try what a "handheld" feels like when it's actually designed for home and has full size controls.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My wife loves Dr. Mario. When Im watching something on TV that she in not interested in out pops the Wii U gamepad and she is playing Dr. Mario. I just wish it would work all the way in my bathroom. The range on that thing is not so great.

I hope in Nintendo's next system this is something they improve on and not do away with. I dont thing enough attention is give to how awesome and convenient the Wii U game pad is.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#20 FinalDasa  Moderator

I used my Xbox One for cable back when I had it. The One's guide menu worked much better than Verizon's default menu. And the voice controls were really nice the handful of times I would use them.

WiiU is mostly collecting dust unfortunately. I wish Nintendo would drop prices on some of their older titles, or at least make their digital stuff cheaper, but alas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.