Seeing, Playing (Sort of) Zelda in High-Definition

  • 90 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by patrickklepek (3508 posts) -

Nintendo video games will finally be displayed in high-definition sometime in 2012. Most of the prototypes shown by Nintendo, however, didn’t properly underscore what more palatable hardware could mean for Nintendo games and what third-parties now have access to.

Chase Mii and others were terrific examples of what Wii U’s controller is capable of, but the (mostly) non-playable demonstration of a Zelda HD was, well, Zelda HD.

As one would expect, Zelda HD looks pretty damn great. A Nintendo representative would not confirm whether this was actually a new Zelda game or not, only saying it was a high-definition sampling of a Zelda game molded after Twilight Princess.

The demo itself did not involve controlling Link and battling the towering spider, but it was a real-time, camera-adjustable demo that allowed seamless transition from viewing the game on a TV to the controller. In a very Apple-like fashion, it just works. Period. No pause, no jittering—the screen just moves places, as though that was a great thing games have been doing forever.

The difference in screen fidelity is apparent when you look closely, but at a glance, and for the imaginable situations where you’re playing it for short moments of time, it’s looking more than serviceable. The screen quality seems much better than what we’ve come to expect from the DS touch screen but not quite approaching PS Vita.

Link’s inventory appears on the touch screen when the game’s being played on a TV, a feature I’d expect most games to adopt as a simple way of incorporating the screen in some meaningful way. When the game switches to the controller, one would imagine it’s as simple as hitting start and swapping items the old fashioned way.

In short: Nintendo games are going to look great in HD, both on the TV and controller.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3508 posts) -

Nintendo video games will finally be displayed in high-definition sometime in 2012. Most of the prototypes shown by Nintendo, however, didn’t properly underscore what more palatable hardware could mean for Nintendo games and what third-parties now have access to.

Chase Mii and others were terrific examples of what Wii U’s controller is capable of, but the (mostly) non-playable demonstration of a Zelda HD was, well, Zelda HD.

As one would expect, Zelda HD looks pretty damn great. A Nintendo representative would not confirm whether this was actually a new Zelda game or not, only saying it was a high-definition sampling of a Zelda game molded after Twilight Princess.

The demo itself did not involve controlling Link and battling the towering spider, but it was a real-time, camera-adjustable demo that allowed seamless transition from viewing the game on a TV to the controller. In a very Apple-like fashion, it just works. Period. No pause, no jittering—the screen just moves places, as though that was a great thing games have been doing forever.

The difference in screen fidelity is apparent when you look closely, but at a glance, and for the imaginable situations where you’re playing it for short moments of time, it’s looking more than serviceable. The screen quality seems much better than what we’ve come to expect from the DS touch screen but not quite approaching PS Vita.

Link’s inventory appears on the touch screen when the game’s being played on a TV, a feature I’d expect most games to adopt as a simple way of incorporating the screen in some meaningful way. When the game switches to the controller, one would imagine it’s as simple as hitting start and swapping items the old fashioned way.

In short: Nintendo games are going to look great in HD, both on the TV and controller.

Staff
#2 Posted by liquidfkinfire (65 posts) -

Love zelda

#3 Posted by blackblade500 (160 posts) -

Looks kinda cool

#4 Posted by weehughie (14 posts) -

Nooooo, so close.

#5 Posted by paulunga (1936 posts) -

I'm almost ready to jump on the hype train at this point.

#6 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@paulunga: I don't know about you, but I'm pretty hype myself.
#7 Posted by Sammo21 (3215 posts) -

I can't really get excited for this. New console with a ridicuously expensive looking controller? I'm going to say controllers will be $100 and the system at launch will be $350-400.

#8 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

Was it just the brief video snippet of the game that you could transition? Or could you actually look around it, like a 3D screenshot sort of thing?

#9 Posted by Winternet (8008 posts) -

So is this thing actually good? Maybe great? Even amazing? I need to know more.

#10 Posted by Sanj (2354 posts) -

What a goddamn tease.

#11 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

It seems like the new controller could end up being completely optional. Just give me a real controller, please. A hard drive would also be nice. How else am I going to download so many virtual console games?

#12 Posted by Clockwork_saint (29 posts) -

Zelda in HD! Finally, maybe now we'll get some voice acting? Yeah right.

#13 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

#14 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

I look forward to playing this in 2013

#15 Posted by HubrisRanger (480 posts) -
@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

This is the controller for the new, HD-enabled console.
#16 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

This is the controller for the new, HD-enabled console.

and that is yet to be announced right? or atleast the specs and looks of it?

#17 Posted by Bollard (5297 posts) -
@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.
#18 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3748 posts) -

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

It seems like the new controller could end up being completely optional. Just give me a real controller, please. A hard drive would also be nice. How else am I going to download so many virtual console games?

Any cheap external HDD hopefully. I don't want to mess around with SD cards or jacked up prices like the 360 HDDs.

@Jethuty said:

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

This is the controller for the new, HD-enabled console.

and that is yet to be announced right? or atleast the specs and looks of it?

They've got some rough specs, but nothing concrete. It looks like a Wii and a 360 had a baby. Rumors range from it being less powerful than a 360 (based off of these tech demos) to more powerful than a PS3 (based off the IBM thingy they got in there). The Wii U can stream video from the TV to the controller, so you can turn off the TV or change the channel but still continue playing your console game, if you so wish.

#19 Posted by HubrisRanger (480 posts) -
@Jethuty said:

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

This is the controller for the new, HD-enabled console.

and that is yet to be announced right? or atleast the specs and looks of it?

Nintendo will never likely break down the full "specs" of the thing. There are pictures of the console itself, and its been confirmed to have HDMI support.  
 
#20 Edited by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@Jethuty said:

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

The games will run on the console and be streamed to the controller, thus you can't take the controller and go for a walk as you need to stay within range of the console. It is essentially the same as what Playstation did a long while ago with Remote Play (except that was laggy and nobody used it).  Also yes, the WiiU is a full new console, it is not a new controller for the Wii.
 
This is different from the Gamecube/GBA link, as with those the games actually run on the GBA and the Gamecube, the Gamecube just provided the game to run via link cable to the GBA.
#21 Edited by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

i was watching the stream, they just didnt show the Console and they almost never talked about it. All they did was talking about the controller.

But yeah thanks for being a smug asshole about it.

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty said:

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

This is the controller for the new, HD-enabled console.

and that is yet to be announced right? or atleast the specs and looks of it?

Nintendo will never likely break down the full "specs" of the thing. There are pictures of the console itself, and its been confirmed to have HDMI support.

yeah i knew it would have HDMI support, i just didnt see any pictures or what was really inside.

Is it above the current generation of consoles in terms of hardware or is it on par?

#22 Posted by HubrisRanger (480 posts) -
@Jethuty   
Those are the kinda questions that I was suggesting that Nintendo will likely never answer, IE comparable horsepower to their greatest competition, partially because they prefer to act like they're the only game in town. I think the general thought is, based on demos like this, it is somewhere compatible with current systems, but not likely far ahead. But Nintendo has always prided itself on innovation and design over tech muscle. Most of the demos have used Wii Sports like graphics, so really hard to say at this point. Functionally, this week/year is about getting across the basic idea of their crazy newfangled controller.
#23 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty Those are the kinda questions that I was suggesting that Nintendo will likely never answer, IE comparable horsepower to their greatest competition, partially because they prefer to act like they're the only game in town. I think the general thought is, based on demos like this, it is somewhere compatible with current systems, but not likely far ahead. But Nintendo has always prided itself on innovation and design over tech muscle. Most of the demos have used Wii Sports like graphics, so really hard to say at this point. Functionally, this week/year is about getting across the basic idea of their crazy newfangled controller.

yeah, its hopefully on par with this generation of consoles.

The video demo of the bird flying around in the garden was alright, but could have been much cleaner and crisper, texture wise.

#24 Edited by Korwin (2831 posts) -

If this thing isn't significantly more powerful than what there is now then it's going to be dead within 2 years once the next Xbox and PS land.

#25 Posted by Chicken008 (330 posts) -
@Korwin: Dunno why you think they will come out in 2 years, Microsoft have said that the new Halo trilogy will be on 360, I'm sure that will take them to 2016 at least.
#26 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

#27 Posted by Roomrunner (792 posts) -
@Korwin said:

If this thing isn't significantly more powerful than what there is now then it's going to be dead within 2 years once the next Xbox and PS land.

I feel we have reached an era of significant diminishing returns, and no longer one of "can it run Crysis?"  What I mean is I own Left 4 Dead 2 on computer and 360, and I still play it more on 360.  The difference in graphics aren't that big of a deal anymore.  I own Portal 2 on both platforms as well, and with that game, I can't tell the difference at all. 
 
I feel the next generation will improve on depth in games.  AI, story, decisions, branching storylines, connectivity... not "MOAR GRAFFIX"  
 
I'm scared of what this HD box + iPad will cost.  Although, if Kojima gets his hands on this thing, that price will be "never too much"!
Online
#28 Posted by downtime58 (224 posts) -
@Jethuty: I have a feeling that the reason Nintendo hasn't been keen on showing the console is that they've likely not finalized what kind of horsepower the system will have.
 
The controller is a known quality, but I'm willing to bet that the processing and hard drive space are liable to change until the production line starts rolling.
#29 Posted by digigb (22 posts) -

I can be crazy but, with this tech does the word MMO sounds possible?

#30 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
#31 Posted by Bollard (5297 posts) -
@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

It was on at 5pm in England you shit-fuck, hardly an awkward time for anyone here to watch.
#32 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

It was on at 5pm in England you shit-fuck, hardly an awkward time for anyone here to watch.

if you got a job it might be.

or you know, grown up duties.

#33 Posted by AngriGhandi (761 posts) -

Oh man

Why couldn't Nintendo have done this instead of the Wii

Then my Kinect would have been some fly-ass tablet instead of an overpriced TV hood ornament

Online
#34 Posted by Bollard (5297 posts) -
@Jethuty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

It was on at 5pm in England you shit-fuck, hardly an awkward time for anyone here to watch.

if you got a job it might be.

or you know, grown up duties.

How so? Not all jobs are 9-5 you know...
#35 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

It was on at 5pm in England you shit-fuck, hardly an awkward time for anyone here to watch.

if you got a job it might be.

or you know, grown up duties.

How so? Not all jobs are 9-5 you know...

I think you just answered your own question.

Plus you know, grown up duties. But you can figure that part out later.

#36 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -
@Roomrunner said:
@Korwin said:

If this thing isn't significantly more powerful than what there is now then it's going to be dead within 2 years once the next Xbox and PS land.

I feel we have reached an era of significant diminishing returns, and no longer one of "can it run Crysis?"  What I mean is I own Left 4 Dead 2 on computer and 360, and I still play it more on 360.  The difference in graphics aren't that big of a deal anymore.  I own Portal 2 on both platforms as well, and with that game, I can't tell the difference at all.  I feel the next generation will improve on depth in games.  AI, story, decisions, branching storylines, connectivity... not "MOAR GRAFFIX"   I'm scared of what this HD box + iPad will cost.  Although, if Kojima gets his hands on this thing, that price will be "never too much"!
To be fair, both of those games are running off the Source engine which is quite dated despite Valve constantly doing impressive updates. Most game engines aren't making the leaps they might be able to because they're bound to what the systems can do. 
 
That said, I don't really care about graphics. I do, however, care about the larger worlds, smarter games, etc etc that come from better tech, so I'm hoping, like you, that's the focus of the next generation.
#37 Posted by DeeGee (2116 posts) -

@Jethuty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

It was on at 5pm in England you shit-fuck, hardly an awkward time for anyone here to watch.

if you got a job it might be.

or you know, grown up duties.

Wow, people are fucking assholes these days. Dude asks a question, and someone gives a nice reply with the information that was requested and he gets this?

Fuck. Remind me never to help anyone.

#38 Posted by Valru (91 posts) -

Zelda in HD? Been there, done that. 
 
  

#39 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

I think it is a little too early to be hating on Nintendo for this since we haven't seen what the system can 100% do, only same examples. Lets leave our judgment when they are ready to show off the capabilities of the system. 

#40 Posted by tourgen (4432 posts) -

omg instant transfarring. Some one is going to be pissssssed

#41 Posted by TadThuggish (906 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

hahahaha weeooo weeooo insecure alert!

#42 Edited by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

I'm not full convinced yet but I'm really interested in this. If Nintendo can continue to show off cool stuff this thing can do and get some actual games on it then my money is theirs.

#43 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -
@DeeGee said:

@Jethuty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

It was on at 5pm in England you shit-fuck, hardly an awkward time for anyone here to watch.

if you got a job it might be.

or you know, grown up duties.

Wow, people are fucking assholes these days. Dude asks a question, and someone gives a nice reply with the information that was requested and he gets this?

Fuck. Remind me never to help anyone.

I think people thought he was being sarcastic.
#44 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@DeeGee: i think you read it wrong, duder.

#45 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2377 posts) -

I get it but I want more info.

#46 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -
@GioVANNI: doubt it,, i think he was just being a dick
#47 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -
@CrossTheAtlantic said:
@Roomrunner said:
@Korwin said:

If this thing isn't significantly more powerful than what there is now then it's going to be dead within 2 years once the next Xbox and PS land.

I feel we have reached an era of significant diminishing returns, and no longer one of "can it run Crysis?"  What I mean is I own Left 4 Dead 2 on computer and 360, and I still play it more on 360.  The difference in graphics aren't that big of a deal anymore.  I own Portal 2 on both platforms as well, and with that game, I can't tell the difference at all.  I feel the next generation will improve on depth in games.  AI, story, decisions, branching storylines, connectivity... not "MOAR GRAFFIX"   I'm scared of what this HD box + iPad will cost.  Although, if Kojima gets his hands on this thing, that price will be "never too much"!
To be fair, both of those games are running off the Source engine which is quite dated despite Valve constantly doing impressive updates. Most game engines aren't making the leaps they might be able to because they're bound to what the systems can do.  That said, I don't really care about graphics. I do, however, care about the larger worlds, smarter games, etc etc that come from better tech, so I'm hoping, like you, that's the focus of the next generation.
 
i think what a lot of people are annoyed about is developers trying to match the PC version with the console version so there isn't a major difference; which makes sense but i think people want the technology to improve more for, as CrossTheAtlantic stated, AI and larger more dynamic and real worlds rather than just graphics, obviously graphical fidelity is the first thing that makes an impression but improved tech brings those other advancements and i think people feel bereft of that because the console life-cycle is longer than usual 
 
i think Wii U is actually primed for this strange elongated cycle, MS just announced a halo trilogy specifically for 360, which even on a yearly basis still means the conclusion will be 2014 so nintendo has this wide period of 3 to 4 years before any competitive platform appears - granted they still have the ipad to worry about but i think they've been clever with this introduction - although i think its not as crazy as wii was, which is a shame, this seems to be more of a consolidation than a next gen product; its ostensibly catering for the wii audience, the 360/PS3 audience and the ipad audience, and the videos make it look like it'll work but i wonder if it will  
 
also, i totally agree with Roomrunner about the Kojima comment
#48 Posted by StriderNo9 (1084 posts) -

I'm not excited for Zelda so much as I am excited for sports games with the WIIu

#49 Posted by Bollard (5297 posts) -

Calm the fuck down mothers. It wasn't fucking serious. Jeez people are tetchy these days...

#50 Posted by punkxblaze (2961 posts) -

And then two years pass and they reveal the HD Zelda game will be cel shaded. Spaceworld!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.