Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

A Wii Homebrew question on game system updates (legal use)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I am running a Homebrew programme on my NTSC Wii and it has never had an update.  Just for the record, I only use it to bypass region coding and play NTSC-J games, which in itself is perfectly legal, so let's confine the discussion to just this.  

Anyway, today, I received a copy of Madworld from playasia and it asked me to do a system update (I wasn't expecting it).  Of course there was the warning that any unauthorised programmes could render the system inoperable.  Naturally, I ejected the disc and closed it down and came here to ask before committing my second act of stupidity for 2010 (actually my 3rd as yesterday I did a entire of computer work for my job and lost the entire lot when I didn't save it properly)  ^-^ 

Should I remove Homebrew, update and re-install it? 
    Should I just do the system update? (highly unlikely)
     Should I just play the game through Homebrew itself and bypass the system update completely? 
    Or another option I am not aware of? 

Those of you who use Homebrew and know the answers that can help are greatly appreciated.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Marzy

If you can connect your Wii to the internet, then you can update the Homebrew Channel by going on it (it should ask you to update, if your connected online). If not, I'd un-install the Homebrew Channel off the system, then update your Wii, then download the latest Homebrew Channel and reinstall it onto the system.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Marzy said:
    " If you can connect your Wii to the internet, then you can update the Homebrew Channel by going on it (it should ask you to update, if your connected online). If not, I'd un-install the Homebrew Channel off the system, then update your Wii, then download the latest Homebrew Channel and reinstall it onto the system. "
    Not sure about connecting the Wii to the internet, as it won't.  I did try and bypass the normal game load and tred running it on Homebrew itself and got this message: 

This game requires IOS53 
    Insstall IOS53-64-v4113.wad? 
    Press A to install or B to cancel. 

I pressed B.  IMy technical knowledge is limited, but I am seeing removing Homebrew and reinstalling is becoming the obvious option.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Marzy

I'd go with removing it and re-installing it, personally. I had to do it myself a few weeks back and it seemed like a safe option.

Good luck. :)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

You should ask about it on some homebrew based forum, I'm not sure what this does as I'm always up to date through the online updates.

All I know is some of the latest official updates delete homebrew when they install, but you can reinstall it with the same methods you know.

Other than that they also have a very, very small chance of bricking the Wii (regardless of homebrew use), but Nintendo does free (even out of warranty) repairs IF they don't see any homebrew in your Wii. So, I guess you should uninstall homebrew yourself, update your Wii to whatever MadWorld asks, then reinstall homebrew as before using the latest versions of the homebrew applications. Though this may not even be necessary because I don't think MadWorld has new firmware that deletes homebrew and/or can brick the Wii, but better safe than sorry. This is weird because I would think New Super Mario Bros Wii would have already updated your Wii to the latest firmware or close to that.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Install preloader and disable game disc updates. Done.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " You should ask about it on some homebrew based forum, I'm not sure what this does as I'm always up to date through the online updates.All I know is some of the latest official updates delete homebrew when they install, but you can reinstall it with the same methods you know.Other than that they also have a very, very small chance of bricking the Wii (regardless of homebrew use), but Nintendo does free (even out of warranty) repairs IF they don't see any homebrew in your Wii. So, I guess you should uninstall homebrew yourself, update your Wii to whatever MadWorld asks, then reinstall homebrew as before using the latest versions of the homebrew applications. Though this may not even be necessary because I don't think MadWorld has new firmware that deletes homebrew and/or can brick the Wii, but better safe than sorry. This is weird because I would think New Super Mario Bros Wii would have already updated your Wii to the latest firmware or close to that. "
    Thanks, I will go to one of the forums to be sure.  I haven't got NSMBW, and that is why no update has been done on the machine - ever. 

@Meowayne said:
    " Install preloader and disable game disc updates. Done. "
    Sounds easy when you say it like that  ^-^ 
    What does that mean and entail?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne

@oldschool

- I assume you have the Homebrew channel and know how to run .dol files with it. 
    - Download preloader from Wiibrew.org. It includes a .dol file and a hacks.ini file
    - Copy  the .dol to run in your homebrew channel and copy the hacks.ini file to the root of your HD card
    - Run the homebrew channel, then run the preloader installer. It takes 5 seconds to install.
    - When preloader is installed, holding down the RESET button when you turn on the console will open the preloader menu that lets you  change some minor things about the system menu, including:

• Disable game disc updates
    • Region-free disc channel / wiiware
    • Disable Health Warning
    • Disable System Menu Sounds / Music
    • Load Homebrew Channel on Boot
    • Unlock disc channel so you can move it around

So, download preloader, run it just like any other homebrew program, then reboot the console holding down RESET and tell preloader to skip MadWorld's (and any other game's) forced Update, and you're good.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't see why he should skip all updates though, since homebrew works with all of them (so far) and they do offer the occasional feature, fix or whatever else. Since his has never been updated it probably doesn't even have SDHC support, though I don't think MadWorld's update has that. Then again most of that has to do with the storage issues which he doesn't have since his Wii is offline without the ability to get WiiWare/VC games.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meowayne

You're wrong. If oldschool updates to 4.2, every region-free hack will stop working, and he would have to run NTSC games through loaders to get them working.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Which has the same result, being able to play them. I wouldn't trust hacking the Wii's functions further anyway, I'd rather use external applications. GeckoOS 1.9.3+ should work on 4.2 without issues from what I've seen. Though I haven't tried it, I don't have imports. MadWorld shouldn't be 4.2.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowayne

Yeah, but he explicitly asked for a way to run NTSC-J games without having to use loaders. Updating will not do that, but will in fact remove this function completely.

Preloader is perfectly safe and incredibly easy to use/install.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Relys

There is no reason to update your Wii console to play a video game EVER.

Preloader is the way to go.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By demontium

OH! I am telling my mom on you! 

-_- It is funny that you have to MAJORLY warn giantbomb that it is for legal use ONLY. 

Anyways I have never used homebrew so I cannot help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.