Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii on VGA/DVI/HDMI???

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

Any one know of a way to get wii onto VGA/DVI/HDMI? 
    What happened to the good old days when you could get a VGA box for your dreamcast? that was great.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

Kinda wish I knew. One of the reasons I never use my Wii is because it's hooked up to a TV that is in near constant use by someone else.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Devil240Z

yeah I just bought a nice computer monitor and its obviously got no composite input. Im never really in the living room so I dont play my wii much. but I really want to get hardcore for Muramasa right now but I cant have access to the living room tv as often as I want.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

You could get a VGA box but they're sorta expensive and it's hard to know the quality without trying it for yourself. I also think any games that don't display in 480p (like VC games?) won't be playable with that so it's a hassle. Shame, I really wanted to use my PC monitor for the Wii.

I had this thread, some people provided possible solutions.

Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Kloreep

I've had success hooking my Wii up to a monitor via VGA cable through the Kworld 1440 Box. It's an overseas product, complete with amusingly translated manual, but works well once you figure out what all the buttons on the remote do. It looks like they have newer ones that can output in higher resolutions, including a new gamer-oriented box that supposedly plugs right into a Wii or Playstation. Can't speak to any model but the 1440 though, myself.

Since you're trying to convert analog to digital, or one kind of analog signal to another, there's no quick fix. Most monitors are not set up for analog-to-analog conversion from RCA-type cables, even if you buy the proper RCA-to-VGA cable. I'm afraid it's unlikely you'll find anything cheap that works well, but if you have money to spend, I'd recommend checking out some kind of TV Tuner box along the lines of the Kworld stuff. It looks like you should be able to find something that supports the Wii for $50 (after all, the Wii's outputting in 480p, so there's not all that much gain you'll see with it by getting a box with some kind of high-res output).

Edit: I didn't actually think to test 480i, that could be a problem unless the box supports it. I believe VC games output at whatever settings you have the console at, so I don't think they'd be a problem. But there are certain Gamecube games, even some Wii games, that don't support progressive scan, so there could be problems there.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By demontium
    @Devil240Z: wii.... dont care about graphics at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.