Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WipEout Omega Collection

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 06, 2017

The Omega Collection brings WipEout HD, Fury, and 2048 to PlayStation 4 in one package.

Wipeout those tears, it's a good remastering! - WipEout Reviews & Impressions

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

Seems like they did a good job on this collection. Technically solid remaster, though like advertised, it's just that: Three old Wipeout games slapped together with a new coat of paint, no new gameplay features or such. I only played Wipeout HD on PS3 and did so briefly, so I'm in a relatively good position with not knowing too much of the tracks and such.

Think I'll (once again) renew my PS+ for this and try some online shenanigans. Once my physical box gets here, that is. Decided to go with the Classic Sleeve special edition.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MachoFantastico

Adored Wipeout HD on PS3, one of the best racing games of the past generation so excited to experience it again. Loved some of those crazy modes and multiplayer, happy to see its a solid remastering.

Gives me hope we might see a full new entry in the franchise one day.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never played a Wipeout game in my life. If I'm going to play mostly singleplayer is this worth it?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

That pun is too much, close the thread now.

I'm really tempted to get this as I played the heck out of HD and Fury on PS3.. but.. yah like I played the heck out of these already. Not sure if I really need to own them all over again with a few new tracks. I'm actively trying to get away from rebuying games I already own for this generation but Bayonetta, Vanquish, Dragons Dogma.. they keep pulling me back in!

@pompouspizza: Yah I'd say these were always single player first and foremost. It's about mastering the track and shaving off seconds with every run. That said, like many games from the bygone era, Wipeout has a steep learning curve. It's not one of those racing games that feel good from the start. I'd say Wipeout actually feels extremely awkward the first few times you play it until you learn how to air-break around corners and do barrel rolls, not to mention skipping entire parts of the tracks from well times uses of boost and gliding. Once you do get a feel for it, and you find the team that suits your needs the best (I was a Piranha man myself) it can be incredibly satisfying.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dixavd

@pompouspizza: I play them mostly Single Player. The three parts of this remaster (which are basically Wipeout HD + 2 Expansions) have a lot of single player modes. Getting through those Expansions, I actually found the amount of single player stuff a little overwhelming. Also, it gets very hard, very quickly.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I think pretty much every Wipeout title is solid. I loved Wipeout on Vita too.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I haven't really played Wipeout since XL, so I'll have to give this a gander. I always liked the aesthetic of these games.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were to grade the Pre Order theme for the game it's an easy 5 out of 5.

That does look way more fancy than the themes you get with the physical pre-order. Maybe not fancy enough to pay 35€ again, but...

Loading Video...

...still pretty fancy.

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most important question is whether they have the original soundtracks.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By dagas

I had Wipout 2097 (I think that is the one called XL in America) on PS1 and it was a good game with an amazing soundtrack but I'm not a huge Wipout fan. It was cool at the time.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: That's great to hear, thanks so much!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wipeout is great. Every playstation should have a wipeout.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Damn, I'd be way more excited if I didn't just play a bunch of Fast RMX.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By glots

@hidden81 said:

The most important question is whether they have the original soundtracks.

WipEout Omega Collection’s full soundtrack revealed

• ADDIKTION – Shake It (WipEout Omega Instrumental Edit)
    • Airwolf – Talking Bass feat. Stace Cadet (Taiki Nulight Edit)
    • Black Sun Empire & State of Mind – Kill That Noise (WipEout Omega Edit)
    • Boys Noize – XTC (The Chemical Brothers Remix)
    • Brodinski feat Louisahhh – Let The Beat Control Your Body
    • Carbon Community vs. Burufunk – Community Funk (Deadmau5 remix)
    • David Tort & Danielle Simeone – You Got To (WipEout Omega Edit)
    • DC Breaks – Breathe (Instrumental VIP Mix)
    • CODE:MANTA – DFCK
    • Dillon Francis & NGHTMRE – Need You (DJ Hanzel & Drezo Remix)
    • DJ Kentaro feat. Matrix & Futurebound – North South East West (Tha New Team Remix)
    • Emika – Double Edge (GeRM Remix)
    • James Talk – Remote (Deadmau5 Remix)
    • Jerome Isma-Ae & Paul Thomas – Tomorrow (Luke Chable Remix)
    • Krakota – Lust Thrust
    • Matrix & Futurebound – Glow Worm
    • Matt Anthony – Headlights
    • Memtrix – IC YR PAIN
    • Metrik – Bring It Like That
    • Movement Machina & Timo Vaittinen – Upsides Have Downsides (WipEout Omega Edit)
    • Noisia & The Upbeats – Dead Limit
    • Red One – Born Free
    • Soundprank – Obsidian
    • Swanky Tunes – Give It
    • Swedish House Mafia vs Knife Party – Antidote (Swedish House Mafia Dub)
    • The Chemical Bros – C-h-e-m-i-c-a-l
    • The Prodigy – Invaders Must Die
    • Warden – Get Down

Not original soundtracks, but seems nice enough. Though personally I'm also building up a list to play on Spotify in the background, since that's easy enough to do on PS4 currently.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hidden81: I'd actually way more intrested to know if we're able to play our own music off the PS4 media player, as we were able to play our own CDs in previous Wipeout versions. I fondly remember playing Fluke's "Baby's Got an Atom Bomb" while the robot lady would purr "Qirex" "Feisar" and "miss-ayls" in-game.

Speaking of velvety-voiced robot ladies, did they re-record the voice playbacks for this Omega version? They sound different, but I'm not sure if that's because they integrated all three previous games into one.

Either way, I'll pick it up - might even see if their's any interest in a GB Racing League/Community. :)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By glots
    johnnyspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dasakamov: I'm so in if you start a Racing League.

superjop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@hidden81: I'd actually way more intrested to know if we're able to play our own music off the PS4 media player, as we were able to play our own CDs in previous Wipeout versions. I fondly remember playing Fluke's "Baby's Got an Atom Bomb" while the robot lady would purr "Qirex" "Feisar" and "miss-ayls" in-game.

Uhm... Atom Bomb was just on the Wipeout 2097 soundtrack, no CD necessary! Having said that, I did buy the "Rissotto" album because of Wipeout...

Anyway, pretty hyped for this game, even though I really wanted a new Wipeout, I never played the Vita one, so that's almost like a new game!

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I almost cancelled my pre-order after having second thoughts about the retro sleeve. I'm glad I didn't.

No Caption Provided

The game's as good as I remember HD and Fury being (never played 2048) and it looks spectacular on the Pro.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks hot. Played 5 minutes of the Vita version, but that's my only experience with the series. Looks incredibly fun. I was just about to purchase Forza Horizon 3 on PC, but since I don't give a crap about real cars but love racing games, I decided to give this a shot instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-987696
    deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: I was thinking the same. Even if it was 'just' a 4k 60fps remaster of the first RR. I'd be in!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By glots

Finally got my physical copy this week and got to play some yesterday. I'm not great at it, far from it even, but it was still fun! I don't think I've played an arcadey, futuristic racer in a serious manner (aka, sinking at least 20 hours into) like this since Rollcage back in 1999/2000, so I guess this finally scratched that itch. I still might have to play this alone at least for a week or two before I can even consider embarrassing myself online, but since I bought a whole year's worth of PS+ time from the sale just now, I guess I might as well try it eventually.

GrizzlyButts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I probably put 100 hours into HD + Fury on PS3 and I'm finding this remake excellent overall with a few kinda nagging gripes.

What does exist of the old OST is remixed into club tunes. Vocal tracks on the club tunes aren't exceptional, you can opt out of them entirely.

Male robot voices now replace the female announcer 60% of the time but they exist in tandem. The two announcers clash in a way that doesn't flow as well as a single announcer. Female robot voice, I miss you in the deepest possible way.

The same issues exist with online play. Lobbies are highly customizable and I've noticed players aren't creating well thought out matches/tournaments but rather trying to jump into matches, becoming impatient and dropping them quickly. The whole process is too slow and hasn't been updated since 2008. Also being unable to join a race until the current group is finished involves even more waiting. This wouldn't work in Mario Kart and it kills some of the competitive momentum having to wait 10-15 minutes between matches. Plenty of games have a "join fuckin whatever match is open right fuckin now" option and it'd be great in this one.

Like I said no major gripes and the option to finally play 2048, which is brutally hard to master, in 4K is pretty amazing. I'm guessing a lot of folks are gonna wait until this is free on PS+ and yeah it is inevitable.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like the technical tracks of HD and Fury over the later 2048, but now being able to play them online I felt a little better about those tracks. It took me a dozen races or so to no be last so I guess the people that like wipeout online, really like wipeout online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.