Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wizardry

Franchise »

One of the oldest computer and video game franchises, Wizardry has directly influenced RPGs on both sides of the Pacific.

Wizardry 6-8 now availiable on GOG

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I may have metaphorically wet myself when I read this, but the three Wizardry games anyone under the age of 35 has any hope of completing are now on GOG. You may remember that I (and @snide) think Wizardry 8 is one of the best RPGs ever made, so the ability to own a legal copy of it is pretty great. It's a lot denser than Might and Magic and isn't nearly as easy to get into, but if you have far too much free time on your hands this summer it's certainly worth a look.

I can't speak to the same degree about 6 and 7, other than that they're hard and far less forthcoming with information, but they're apparently quite good too according to grognards who would know such things.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I've always had a mental block when it came to those RPG's that featured multiple portraits. For some reason imagining you're 6 different people running around in one viewpoint just turns me off. It always had too since seeing screenshots of those games back in the day. I am tempted to push my dumb mental blocks aside for 8, but I'll probably just end up playing Daggerfall or something.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#3 Mento  Moderator

I was just about to send you a message about it AW. Should have guessed you were already on top of this.

I've put it on the GOG wishlist. I have so many games to play right now, more so after a month of nothing but Indie games, that I can afford to wait until it goes on sale. From I've heard from you and Snide over the past few years though I imagine it'll be something akin to the second coming of ToEE.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By topsteer

YES! One of my favorite styles of games so I'm definitely picking these up. I've played the Wizardry games that were on consoles but I wasn't much of a PC gamer back then so I haven't played these PC only releases. I'm super excited to finally play 8.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Man, I really want to get Wizardry 8 but I don't know if I'll have time to dedicate to it since I'm taking a course in a couple of weeks.

But I'll definitely get around to playing someday.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hmmmm... Strange I always thought I owned them already via GOG... So thanks for the heads up and now I own them via GOG, another couple of great RPGS added to my digital retirement vault....

HiddenAsbestos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Be sure to check out the GOG.com forum page for Wizardry 6. You'll find instructions there on how to fix the annoying audio popping problem with the stock DosBox that's shipped with the game.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

@arbitrarywater: 8 is a pretty good game! The dumb voices for the character portraits, so good. The battles can get a little crazy and drawn out though. And the walk from the first dungeon is punishing.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Missed seeing this pop up on steam but 6-8 are also there now. Unsure what differences there are between the versions up on steam or gog (if there are any). So anyone seen any differences on them (if having access to seeing both versions)?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/31551/

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By fox01313

Just wanted to throw this out there, as part of the Humble Weekly Bundle there's a few of the Wizardry games as well as Shadow Man, System Shock 2, 7th Guest & more classic games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: So do I write a haiku to get one for free?

The fuck is this shit

Wizardry more like bullshit

This ain't no Heroes

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@fredchuckdave: I still have a handful of GOG codes that I need to get rid of... But I don't think you get to double dip.

And let's be real, even though wizardry 8 may be one of the best CRPGs of the last decade, Harvester is the obvious winner in the bundle.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.