Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Just an FYI. There will be a useless Xbox Live update later today

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Sorry if this has already been posted. 

Today apparently on Xbox Live, an update is being rolled out to Xbox Live members. What does it add? 

Well right now nothing, but according to Major Nelson, "This update is preparation for additional system enhancements coming to Xbox 360 later this year."

So yer, full details here: http://majornelson.com/2011/07/18/xbox-360-system-update-coming-this-tuesday/

Let your crazy imagination and conspiracy theories run wild, GB!

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

This is pretty common before a big update, users wont see any difference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chabbs0 said:

Yeah. I recall them doing something like this last year.

Just thought I'd share before threads of people complaining about it not 'adding anything major' flood the site... If that even happens here.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

Wonder if it's to prepare everyone for that new "disc format" that they beta'd a few months ago?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn

How is this "useless"?

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By craigbo180
    @JoeyRavn said:

How is this "useless"?

Because as of now it doesn't do anything. All it is doing is making it a quicker and smoother process for when they roll out a real update later.

As it makes no changes right now people may be wondering what the update did, but basically it is a useless update. For the gamer at least.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By mnzy
    @JoeyRavn: Because it's an update that doesn't change anything by itself. You know, "use".
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Lunar_Aura

it probably gets ready to update ap2.5 of the entire 360 catalog

lol I don't know what any of that means so don't ask me that's just what my friend said

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By l4wd0g

I'm just excited for the new dashboard. It looks sexy as hell. The DL only took my 360 two minutes unlike the PlayStation updates...

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @l4wd0g said:

I'm just excited for the new dashboard. It looks sexy as hell. The DL only took my 360 two minutes unlike the PlayStation updates...

Funny.. I notice that isn't the first time you said that. Learn to use port settings.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sooty
    @TotalEklypse said:

@l4wd0g said:

Funny.. I notice that isn't the first time you said that. Learn to use port settings.
    Port forwarding will make no difference to download speed.  Their can be exceptions but generally it doesn't make any real difference, the biggest issue is being able to connect or not.

You cannot change the ports the PS3 connects to PSN with which is where ISP throttling could come into play but that's unlikely for the ports PSN use. (some ISPs filter common torrent program ports)

I have all my ports correctly forwarded and an open NAT, I still get slow downloads on PSN compared to Xbox Live. Whether it be wired or wireless, connected via my router or directly into my modem. It makes no difference. PSN is well known to be slower than Xbox Live for downloading.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @Ygg said:
    @TotalEklypse said:

@l4wd0g said:

Port forwarding will make no difference to download speed.  Their can be exceptions but generally it doesn't make any real difference, the biggest issue is being able to connect or not.You cannot change the ports the PS3 connects to PSN with which is where ISP throttling could come into play but that's unlikely for the ports PSN use. (some ISPs filter common torrent program ports)  I have all my ports correctly forwarded and an open NAT, I still get slow downloads on PSN compared to Xbox Live. Whether it be wired or wireless, connected via my router or directly into my modem. It makes no difference. PSN is well known to be slower than Xbox Live for downloading.
    Never had an issue with either. Sorry i just don't buy it.  Mine is comparable on all accounts, just as speedy either way. After some tweaking of course. The only download speed annoyance I have is with STEAM due to their server side speed limitations or whatever was in place. That is finally getting an update thank god. 
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoeyRavn

@mnzy said:

@JoeyRavn: Because it's an update that doesn't change anything by itself. You know, "use".

But it serves a purpose: to prepare the system for future, bigger updates. You know, it has its "use", even if the end-user will not see the benefits until a couple of months from now.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Branthog

To be fair, every update on the console has been useless, unless you count increased advertisement delivery on a pay service to be an enhancement.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By KarlPilkington

@Branthog said:

To be fair, every update on the console has been useless, unless you count increased advertisement delivery on a pay service to be an enhancement.

I use Party Chat all the time, great feature.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MideonNViscera

Well we get a big update every winter don't we? This stuff was all previewed at E3 I thought.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By AlexW00d

Yeah I imagine it is for the new cluster of advertisements y'all gotta sit through whilst trying to navigate to the game.

But seriously, I imagine it will be for the big update they showed at E3, all that stupid voice search stuff.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By kmg90
    @AlexW00d said:

Yeah I imagine it is for the new cluster of advertisements y'all gotta sit through whilst trying to navigate to the game.

But seriously, I imagine it will be for the big update they showed at E3, all that stupid voice search stuff.

You know it wouldn't supprise me if one day in which you are required to watch an ad before being able to navigate around xbox. Compared to the PS3 and Wii the Xbox is just swamped with ads (most of which have nothing to do with games or something available on xbox)

It is in my opinion that if you pay 50 bucks a year you shouldn't be subjected to ads. Otherwise the company is just making money twice from there consumer base (double dipping).

Anyways
    Could this have something to do with Kinect? I heard something about Kinect Avatar coming within this month.
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By swoxx

@Turtlebird95 said:

@Chabbs0 said:

Yeah. I recall them doing something like this last year. Just thought I'd share before threads of people complaining about it not 'adding anything major' flood the site... If that even happens here.

I'm sure there's a joke in there about nothing major and major nelson. I'm just not clever enough

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

It already happened.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By alistercat

it went to update, downloaded it and then told me there was no enough room to install, so I cancelled it. Now it no longer recognizes my hard drive.

Edit: It is recognised but it says 'unformatted'... am I about to lose 5 years of save data, DLC and arcade games? Great.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NickL

@TotalEklypse said:

@Ygg said:
    @TotalEklypse said:

@l4wd0g said:

Port forwarding will make no difference to download speed. Their can be exceptions but generally it doesn't make any real difference, the biggest issue is being able to connect or not.You cannot change the ports the PS3 connects to PSN with which is where ISP throttling could come into play but that's unlikely for the ports PSN use. (some ISPs filter common torrent program ports) I have all my ports correctly forwarded and an open NAT, I still get slow downloads on PSN compared to Xbox Live. Whether it be wired or wireless, connected via my router or directly into my modem. It makes no difference. PSN is well known to be slower than Xbox Live for downloading.
    Never had an issue with either. Sorry i just don't buy it. Mine is comparable on all accounts, just as speedy either way. After some tweaking of course. The only download speed annoyance I have is with STEAM due to their server side speed limitations or whatever was in place. That is finally getting an update thank god.

Regardless of whether he is doing it right or not, it doesn't change that fact that for the majority of users (who don't know a single thing about port settings) xbox live updates are faster then psn updates.

FYI, if a programmer is expecting their end user to have perfect settings to use their software then they are a terrible programmer.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sirdesmond

@l4wd0g said:

I'm also excited for the new Dashboard. Isn't it crazy to think how far we've come from the original blade menus the 360 launched with? My favorite feature (and I really, really like it) of my Kinect is the motion and voice UI interaction in Netflix, Zune, and such so I can't wait for it to be compatible with everything across system (like it kind of should have been originally).

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NickL

@Branthog said:

You can keep your blades, I'll keep using the easy to use, easy to navigate interface that is in place now.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@TotalEklypse said:

@l4wd0g said:

That's likely not the issue. PS3 is insanely slow. Xbox and Steam are usually capped for me around 4 megabytes/second. PS3 never seems to get above 512k.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@TotalEklypse said:

@l4wd0g said:

That's likely not the issue. PS3 is insanely slow. Xbox and Steam are usually capped for me around 4 megabytes/second. PS3 never seems to get above 512k.

Its because Sony doesn't seem to believe in the concept of spreading around lots of servers infact I believe during the whole hacking fiasco it came out their account servers all exist in japan only.
    NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NickBOTT
    @Chabbs0 said:

@Branthog said:

I cringe when i think back to Live b4 the party chat.  Ever since it was introduced I've been saved from hearing every high pitched 12 yr old and every pot head talking about "hold on lemme get ma blunnntttt."  So yeah Amen for the party chat.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FritzDude

The last update didn't do much either, but i can remember reading about some people using chipped 360 got flagged or banned right away after it, or something like that. It's possible that this update have som hidden stuff in there too. But i can't complain: It's not regular, and it seems that every update on the 360 only takes about 5 minutes for me, which is great.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@TotalEklypse said:

@l4wd0g said:

I get a lot higher than 512k. On everything, even STEAM during the big sales. Seriously I don't know what the issue is with you other people. I'd be interested in hearing what kind's of routers are being used. Also are you using a wireless set up? I don't go wireless personally. I have heard of problems with slow speeds in that case, have a friend who is a prime example. Got him to go wired and his downloads cook now.   

I'm more curious as to what the common factors are in the cases with people having DL issues. I'm curious like that lol.  

Rather have informative posts, than ones like that dumb ass earlier claiming it is always bad programming ...blah blah blah. I believe it to be a hardware issue involving the wireless adapter built in, in most cases. This gen has been a stinker for hardware all around.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@TotalEklypse said:

@l4wd0g said:

Its because Sony doesn't seem to believe in the concept of spreading around lots of servers infact I believe during the whole hacking fiasco it came out their account servers all exist in japan only.
    Well we know that to be wrong. Prime example was when they brought it back online how it was done in waves due to server locations. I don't think they have as many as maybe something like steam (seriously have you seen how many are on the server lists??). I'd probably agree that the account info is probably housed in one place not on a region server of sorts. Not sure about Japan but that is possible. 
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

It took forever to download for some reason.   
    Why have this now well before the big update in November?
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@TotalEklypse said:

I get a lot higher than 512k. On everything, even STEAM during the big sales. Seriously I don't know what the issue is with you other people. I'd be interested in hearing what kind's of routers are being used. Also are you using a wireless set up? I don't go wireless personally. I have heard of problems with slow speeds in that case, have a friend who is a prime example. Got him to go wired and his downloads cook now. I'm more curious as to what the common factors are in the cases with people having DL issues. I'm curious like that lol. Rather have informative posts, than ones like that dumb ass earlier claiming it is always bad programming ...blah blah blah. I believe it to be a hardware issue involving the wireless adapter built in, in most cases. This gen has been a stinker for hardware all around.

I get around 4,500kb on Steam, 3,800kb on XBL, and maaaaybe 500kb on PS3.

All three are connected to Linksys router via wires. No wireless involved. All ports correctly forwarded, dedicated IPs set up, etc.

The PS3 is slow for just about everyone. I don't think we all just have our settings wrong. Oddly, stuff downloading from other places (LittleBigPlanet levels, Blu Ray extra features) cruise.

Also, them having all their content servers in Japan is well within the realm of possibility for a company as Japanese as Sony. That sounds like exactly the kind of Japanese thinking that has put Sony and Nintendo behind MS and Valve in terms of online abilities.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@TotalEklypse said:

I get a lot higher than 512k. On everything, even STEAM during the big sales. Seriously I don't know what the issue is with you other people. I'd be interested in hearing what kind's of routers are being used. Also are you using a wireless set up? I don't go wireless personally. I have heard of problems with slow speeds in that case, have a friend who is a prime example. Got him to go wired and his downloads cook now. I'm more curious as to what the common factors are in the cases with people having DL issues. I'm curious like that lol. Rather have informative posts, than ones like that dumb ass earlier claiming it is always bad programming ...blah blah blah. I believe it to be a hardware issue involving the wireless adapter built in, in most cases. This gen has been a stinker for hardware all around.

I get around 4,500kb on Steam, 3,800kb on XBL, and maaaaybe 500kb on PS3.

All three are connected to Linksys router via wires. No wireless involved. All ports correctly forwarded, dedicated IPs set up, etc.

The PS3 is slow for just about everyone. I don't think we all just have our settings wrong. Oddly, stuff downloading from other places (LittleBigPlanet levels, Blu Ray extra features) cruise.

Also, them having all their content servers in Japan is well within the realm of possibility for a company as Japanese as Sony. That sounds like exactly the kind of Japanese thinking that has put Sony and Nintendo behind MS and Valve in terms of online abilities.

I wonder if it could be a location issue. I know from messing with STEAM that I am better off not downloading from the largest hub near me, which would be Chicago, for obvious reasons. We know the content server isn't just one box in Japan though. Sadly we don't get to make those server choices with the console. I doubt that is the case for Nintendo either to be honest. Nintendo's issues for a network, go way deeper than any connection speed. That is another story on it's own.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Branthog

@NickBOTT said:

@Chabbs0 said:

@Branthog said:

I cringe when i think back to Live b4 the party chat. Ever since it was introduced I've been saved from hearing every high pitched 12 yr old and every pot head talking about "hold on lemme get ma blunnntttt." So yeah Amen for the party chat.

I don't know a single person I'd want to talk to on my list, so it's a useless feature. However, I put those dicks who play a multiplayer game but don't offer much in the way of teamwork because they're too busy having a completely unrelated chat with a bunch of guys playing other games just about as frustrating as the inane idiots making random noises and the "listen to me be a rapper" dickwads.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlisterCat said:

it went to update, downloaded it and then told me there was no enough room to install, so I cancelled it. Now it no longer recognizes my hard drive.

Edit: It is recognised but it says 'unformatted'... am I about to lose 5 years of save data, DLC and arcade games? Great.

That sucks bro. :(
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#36  Edited By alistercat

@Turtlebird95: Yeah... it really does.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By l4wd0g

@TotalEklypse said:

@l4wd0g said:

Oh, I must be an idiot. The cup holder that pops out of my computer still works pretty well...

I also did a speed test using the PS3's web browser, getting 15mb/s down and 2 up as it should.

The logical conclusion is that I'm downloading the file(s) during peak times. That indicates that Sony doesn't have the infrastructure (server capacity) that Microsoft does. I also think Microsoft's understanding of software is far greater than that of Sony, which also them to make 'smarter' files.

These are the ports I was told to have open.

TCP 80

TCP 443

TCP 5223

UDP 3478

UDP 3479

UDP 3658

Here's an article on GamePro about it. It's from 2008 and nothing has been done to fix it.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By 234r2we232

I was hoping for beacons :( 

Edit: and bacons.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @TotalEklypse said:
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@TotalEklypse said:

@l4wd0g said:

Well we know that to be wrong. Prime example was when they brought it back online how it was done in waves due to server locations. I don't think they have as many as maybe something like steam (seriously have you seen how many are on the server lists??). I'd probably agree that the account info is probably housed in one place not on a region server of sorts. Not sure about Japan but that is possible. 

I love that some how its wrong yet its right... 
    It was a confirmed fact that  pretty much all account servers for psn were located in japan Sony admitted it themselves thank god all of our account information didn't get wiped out in the unfortunate natural disaster over in jpn. 

and yeah no its pretty much confirmed now that Sony is incapable of putting enough servers throughout the world to serve the needs of the public as proven by piss poor download speeds for every one except those that live in countries close to japan and those that live in japan its not settings, its not routers its Sony I have hooked up my ps3 to 20 different cable modems, routers and used loads of different settings and it remains slow as molassis regardless if its wired or wireless and it still will only ever use about 5-15% of my lines capable speed while my 360, and my laptop all use as much as my line can shove out limited only by my hard drives transfer speeds the ps3 won't use more then 5-15% of it and its easy to find that info out since most tomato firmwared linksys routers can be setup to give you all the information on the data, and speeds traveling through your connection. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.