Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

So after watching Giantbomb play Kinect, what are your thoughts?

• 149 results
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#101  Edited By ez123

It's much worse for menus and slightly better for games than I thought. At this point, I'm 0% interested.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By sameeeeam
    I think we need to give developers some time to get a hang of the hardware before we start seeing some quality software. 
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By FlyingRat

It seems to go the way the Wii went and just pump out Minigame collections for the most part. Which... is less than exciting. I would be more excited about Dance Central if the music wasn't so shitty.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By audiosnag

Dance Central = great
    The rest...meh. They look like they'd be fun in a party atmosphere but not much more then that. Kinectimals would be a great buy if i had kids i think.
    The tech is cool and i think it's promising but i'm gonna wait to see what comes next. I think it'll take some smart devs to come up with some creative ways to use the device. Then i'm on board.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105  Edited By Lukeweizer

The only thing I'm remotely interested in is Kinectimals. I haven't watched all of the quick look, but I like games that basically give you a friend. I'm lonely.

Although every time I think about it and get excited for cute animal friends, I think "Wait... I have a cat and dog. Maybe I should love them?" Then I feel like a terrible human being for wanting virtual pets.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By Quacktastic

Some cool tech, like voice commands, until you get bored of it and pick the controller back up.  The games are all on-rails or stationary and I don't really see how you could put proper movement into them without a controller -- which really limits the type of games you can control.  It seems like it's going to end up like the Wii where the best games use the least amount of motion, except the 360 has a ton of games that use no motion already so why drop $150?

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#107  Edited By Atlas

Motion games are much like drinking. If it's 8pm and you're hanging out with friends, then it's awesome. If it's 11am and you're alone and naked, then it's just sad. I'm very much in the latter camp, so I respect Kinect's abilities but have zero desire to actually get into it.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By DukesT3

It just showed me why I still don't want it. It looks neat and all but will I actually use it in the next 4 months if I buy it? I don't think so. I'll just wait and see what other games come out . 

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Like Jeff said in the stream- "There ain't nothin' wrong with buttons, man."

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#110  Edited By Willy105

Rare's game was great, but it needs more games worth playing.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#111  Edited By septim

I'm really glad Giantbomb did this. There was some intriguing stuff, but I saw a number of hiccups that made me question whether or not I want to get in on the first batch of hardware.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#113  Edited By mazik765
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " I still think Move is gonna be more appealing to core gamers unless Kinect can deliver the goods next year and eliminate some of this input lag.  "
    I don't think Kinect or Move is going to be appealing to 'core' gamers, just like the Wii isn't really (with a few exceptions). Having tried out the Kinect and the Move before their release, I think that neither of them are going to be useful for anything other than acting retarded with my room mates and having a good, stupid time. Yeah yo can play Killzone 3 with Move, but frankly if I'm going to play Killzone 3 it's going to be with the perfectly fine PS3 controller that already comes with the system. From what little I've played, the Kinect looks way better in the 'having a retarded but fun time' category.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#114  Edited By grilledcheez

Well since I own it, I can say it's good fun so far...I actually used the voice commands today because I was busy doing something else and wanted to check something which was sweet.  I also tried the mic out to send a message to my friend and it worked very well.

tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By tracerace11

Kinect made me want to play my Wii some more.... which is why it is on right now, and I am playing Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort.  
    Personally, I do really like Kinect, but price, the required room, game line up, and partial hiccups make it a wait and see. 

rndmtask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By rndmtask

I want one. I look after my niece and nephew once a week, and this would keep them busy, and make babysitting easier.  

There's tons of potential for this tech. When game companies figure out what works, and develop a somewhat universal UI to use, plus firmware updates by MS to improve the voice recognition and other janky stuff, things can only get better.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By solidlife

Ill wait for the kinect plus.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By countinhallways

I think the Kinect itself seems like a very interesting piece of technology. Certainly after viewing the live stream it went up in my estimation in that regard. 

The games ... well the games look pretty poor so far, as was to be expected really. Although Dance Central did seem like a bit of fun. As it stands I will continue to buy and enjoy the multitude of fantastic non-Kinect based games that are on the cards for the next twelve months, at which point we will have a better idea of the true value of the device. Maybe people will produce some better quality games for it, or implement the tech into 'controller-based' games in a way which complements the core experience. 

People get all worked up about 'the decline of hardcore games' or whatever, but really, do you think companies  will stop creating games for the already established market of millions who buy COD, FIFA and various other games year on year? Of course not.  Either way, I think it is interesting to see these kinds of technology attempt to make the leap from the lab to the living room.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By toowalrus

Gonna pass until I see something that blows my mind. Even dance central doesn't seem worth the $60 for the game, and especially not the $150 for the camera.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By bearshamanbro

In some ways it is impressive. I think they really went overboard on the controller free angle though to market it as something much different than the Wii. I think the absence of any buttons is really limiting. I think they knew it, but for marketing purposes wanted to stay away from anything resembling the Wii. I think if the Move had the Kinect's camera (or vice versa) then we'd really be getting places. On the actual games though, this is the wrong direction for motion gaming IMO. Funneling everything through a physical motion is really dumb and not very fun, only use it when it makes sense. As these other motion systems come out I'm gaining a lot of respect for Nintendo. They were years ahead of the competition and the wii-mote numchuck combo really was an excellent mix of buttons, analog, pointing, and motion. It wasn't perfect but after 4 years it's still up there as arguably the best solution yet (and yes I have a Move). Back to Kinect though, I thought it was underwhelming. I thought it's lineup is worse than the Move and I don't see much potential in it's current state. I think In a month it will be similar to the Move where noone really cares. Look at future releases for both systems, it's a barren wasteland. At least with Move they can tack on controls for AAA games. For Kinect they have to build games for it from the ground up and I think it's future looks bleak, just my opinion.

gorydeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By gorydeath

As I am sure other comments have said...there is no way I can get it to work in my house without moving furniture around...and then no guarantees.  I really liked Dance Central and Your Shape but I will wait until the full reviews are up and maybe even later to make sure it is no fad.
    coldmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By coldmilk

Looked neat at times, while there were others where the technology looked a bit awkward in practice. Definitely a huge step-up from Sony's experiments with the Eye Toy but I'm still not entirely convinced that its functionality could be utilized well in a conventional style game. Still doesn't live up anywhere close to the potential shown in the device's initial proof-of-concept video. Might still get it, pretty sure there is only one room in my house with enough room for the device to work.
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#123  Edited By Mystyr_E

I will admit it looked nifty and it'd be cool to show it off to girlfriends or family members but I'll get bored of that thing very quickly. Once the novelty of "omg, it's totally reading my movements and voice", it comes down to the games and aside from Dance Central which is not my kind of genre, or Your Shape which I have the gym for, it's nothing something I'm interested in......

although I wouldn't mind making hysterically murderous comments using those squirrels

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#124  Edited By meptron

Much like the Wii and Move, it seems like a great way of selling the Xbox to people who actually don't like video games.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#125  Edited By galiant

I don't own a 360 and Kinect doesn't make me want to get one. 

It's the same issue as the Wii for me I think, interesting tech but no games that interest me beyond party games. Same goes for Move. 

The day that they release some awesome games that make good use of Kinect/Move/Wii, I will have to rethink my stance on this. Until then I'll keep using my Sixaxis.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I watched almost all of the stream, either actively or just on in the background while I did other stuff. My opinion hasn't changed. I simply don't see how you could make a fun game with the thing that isn't a rail shooter or based entirely on gimmicks. Other than that all you've got is the voice commands (look useless) the interface hand waving stuff (looks clunky and poorly implemented) voice chat (interesting but useless to me personally) and the prospect of using Kinect in conjunction with a controller for stuff (better be optional).

Also? 7 feet of space, move your coffee table every time you want to play.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By bearshamanbro
    @ChristOnIce:  Yeah, you're right that there is the potential of implementation with current games that are controller based. The only thing is that $150 is really expensive to just add things like voice commands or head tracking. If Kinect's main appeal becomes just being a supporting peripheral to the controller based games it will be a very hard sell. Your point about some type of special controller is a good idea. It would alleviate a lot of current obstacles that it faces. It really needs some type of control for exploring space. Right now everything has to be stationary or on rails. If they added a 'navigation' controller they basically have a similar setup to the Move and Wii. Your hand just replaces the wand/wiimote but you'd still have the navigator/numchuck.
    bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By bearshamanbro
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    " Also? 7 feet of space, move your coffee table every time you want to play. "
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. Move has some of this problem too in that you need a lot of space. It's not just that though, you need a good safe zone around you as well. I know I'm going to whack my wife in the head one of these days playing. I've already come sorta close to whacking her laptop a few times playing Gladiator as the couch is about 7 feet back and I'm in the 5-6 foot range.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#130  Edited By Milkman
    @xyzygy said:

@bigsmoke77: Jeff and the crew are overly critical on a lot of things for no reason, Jeff more so than the others, so him complaining about the voice control like that isn't surprising and should be taken with a grain of salt. It's actually kinda childish sometimes :P "
    Yeah, they talked to the Kinect and it didn't work. HOW CHILDISH!
    Jamberary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Jamberary

I think that tech wise the concept of being able to play a computer game with no form of handheld control is awesome....However I think that the release of Kinect is slightly premature, and that in their attempt to release it in time for the Christmas rush this year (obviously to make as much profit as possible)  and to appeal to the masses (family unit) rather than the traditional 'hardcore gamer ' xbox owners, Microsoft haven't invested as much time as perhaps they should have 'ironing out the kinks' that are evident within the technology....  I think it is a shame that they have decided to follow in the Wii and Moves footsteps releasing several games consisting of 'mini games' rather than finding an alternative way of incorporating this kind of technology into games....  

On a personal basis I can see that there are many family units out there that will surely enjoy Kinect, however I think I'll stick to my controller for now, although the live stream last night was very entertaining :)

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#132  Edited By emem

Hm the menus of every game except "Dance Central" and "Your Shape" look like they are a pain in the butt to "work" through over and over again. And even though it was freaking fantastic to see Ryan "meet" a horse I was not impressed by any other game than Dance Central and Your Shape at all. The voice commands for the "xbox" felt like a good step in the right direction (into the future), but that's pretty much it.

About the show itself.. it was very enjoyable and worth watching.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#133  Edited By ventilaator

The voice control seemed great, I'd play Your Shape and Dance Central for a few hours and then never touch the thing again.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Godwind

It looks like it will take too long to navigate menus.
    bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By bearshamanbro
    @Jamberary said:

" I think it is a shame that they have decided to follow in the Wii and Moves footsteps releasing several games consisting of 'mini games' rather than finding an alternative way of incorporating this kind of technology into games...."

I totally agree. It's almost like there's casual motion games and hardcore controller-based games and little in between and Kinect followed right in line.  I think the reality of the situation is creating these groundbreaking motion games everyone is waiting for is going to take some really innovative minds and publishers willing to fund it. I don't think it's the tech that's holding motion gaming back. Now all three consoles have viable motion platforms and it's just down to who can create the most innovative software.
    Jamberary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Jamberary
    @bearshamanbro: yeah! This totally hits the nail on the head, just a case of keeping our fingers crossed until It happens I suppose :) 
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Kjellm87

Impressive stuff but not something I would buy, maybe Dance sentral, I could need some dance moves.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By MeierTheRed

Still not for me, don't see why i should care.

Henrikhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Henrikhoe

The tech works great in my house, the problem is the software. 

I hate fat 12yr olds who bash the technology when its actually the games that has the problems. When kinect software is done good, its awesome. 

Also it wouldnt hurt 99,99% of the people in here to get some exercise and move around a bit, the xbox 360 controller can managed without cheetos grease for one day. 

peace. 

Also. WHo gives a fuck of you guys dont like it, its not ment for you anyways. gl have batman.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#140  Edited By zor

I like the tech, but not the software.  If they start releasing some great games for it, then i might pick it up, but then again, i am very lazy... so i prolly won't... 

No Caption Provided
    JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By JFetch

Anyone that thinks the tech doesn't work either hasn't played it or played it under the wrong circumstances. It's far better than anything out there. If the games aren't what you want, then wait for something that is. Personally I've had nothing but fun with it. I think Dance Central is a perfect fit for it. Just remember, it's not supposed to replace the controller in regular games.  You'll never see a good shooter on it. Think of it like having a second console to play motion games with.    

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By ryanwho

Thought one. They need to get in shape, so much sweat. Thought 2. Mostly shovelware. This isn't made for me. Xbots don't seem to know how to properly rationalize their feelings for Kinect, its funny navigating some of these responses.

drkatz83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#143  Edited By drkatz83

it looks like crap.  it's doubtful there will ever be a single game i'd want to play with this thing.  people say that it has a lot of potential.  i disagree.  i think the very fact that there is no input device limits the things you can do and complexity of games you can make.  besides i dont think they are even going to try to make the types of games I'd want to play anyway.  they are just gonna use this as a wii alternative and try to make a bunch of shovelware aimed at kids and "non-traditional gamers". 
    willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By willylo

I was hesitant at first but with the QLs and playing it a a friends, I think the Kinect is a good step for motion gaming. I still think the lack of a controller makes it very limited on what games will work with it, but it's just the first step. 

As of right now, I'd treat the Kinect as I did the Wii when it came out, I'll show it as a tech piece and have fun with friends and family while their over. But I dont' see myself putting lengthy amounts of time into it for many games outside the casual.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By bybeach

I liked the exercise'games'. I'm at a period of time when I want to regain a good bit of the physical that was me. I worked all my life, and I am coasting too much now. A 150.00 investment cannot be justified for what I have seen in whole, it has to have a personal justification by my thinking. As far as I'm concerned, that one poster was partly right in proclaiming this a utilitarian device, not a gaming one. I suspect otherwise, but only by degree.

agentmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By agentmoo

My impression was a face palm at all the technical issues for a product that's supposed to bring in a casual audience. The only interest I have in it is dance central. I can get my fill just playing it at a party with others - I don't feel the need to buy one for myself.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#147  Edited By rachelepithet

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Ragdrazi

It looks as bad as we all thought it would be. Maybe some later titles will redeem it, but I'm not holding my breath.

drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#149  Edited By drace

I wanted to be into Kinect but it's just not to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

What do I think? Giantbomb should play more Kinect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.