Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

So A apparently I had bad stuff on my profile

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By PufferFiz

Just got a email from LIVE saying I was suspended till further notice for inappropriate content on my profile.
    But I have not changed the stuff on my profile for ages and I never wrote anything bad on there.
    So Guess I will JUST be playing on my ps3 for the time being (no more COD 4 .... fuck).
    Also love that customer support won't even talk to me about it. In bold letters it says they will not modify your suspension of explain any further why you were.
    Shit I would atleast want to know what was offensive. instead I am left in the dark dreading the day I get my profile back to see what was deleted.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PufferFiz

Just got a email from LIVE saying I was suspended till further notice for inappropriate content on my profile.
    But I have not changed the stuff on my profile for ages and I never wrote anything bad on there.
    So Guess I will JUST be playing on my ps3 for the time being (no more COD 4 .... fuck).
    Also love that customer support won't even talk to me about it. In bold letters it says they will not modify your suspension of explain any further why you were.
    Shit I would atleast want to know what was offensive. instead I am left in the dark dreading the day I get my profile back to see what was deleted.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

That's absolutely stupid. There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to give you a reason in private discussion!!!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Call them.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PufferFiz
    word for word

Customer Support is not able to modify or provide any further details about your suspension.

uugg
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

They don't ban people permanently for profile offenses.  1st time you do it you get a 1 day ban if it's bad enough.  Now if you've been banned 5 times before...

What did you have in your profile?  Word for word?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

From what I've seen, when it comes to profile content, most people just get their inappropriate text replaced with the words "Code of Conduct".

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ArchScabby
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "From what I've seen, when it comes to profile content, most people just get their inappropriate text replaced with the words "Code of Conduct"."
    me too, I didn't know they cold ban you for what's in your profile.  I'm so scared.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jayge_

I've been Code of Conduct-banned 3 times now, the bans have escalated to 1+ weeks now. All because some dumb fuckers complaint-bombed me. There was never any inappropriate content there. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus

You didn't describe yourself as a lesbian, did you?

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
    TooWalrus said:
    "You didn't describe yourself as a lesbian, did you?"
    Ha, Ha that was not funny.
    That really sounds terrible.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PufferFiz

Looked on the site and all of my profile text got changed to Code of Conduct.
    None of that info had what I recall anything offensive, Maybe if I replace it all with " I <3 Microsoft" I'll get a free pass.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond

So it was a one day ban.  Man, it might be worthwhile to just empty your profile in cases like that.

You hear a lot of talk of people being banned from Live for no reason, but a lot of people that get banned are proven to be rule breakers too.  I've seen people with bad stuff in their profiles and I report them and those people don't get banned or 'code of conducted'.  If someone could prove their profile content was benign and they got banned, that would force MS to change their policy.  Unfortunately it would take someone pretty high profile like Jeff getting banned to prove it.  Maybe everyone on Giant Bomb should file a complaint against Jeff and see what happens.  Then again MS might interpret 'GiantBomb' as being terrorism.

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Working for Microsoft Customer service, at one point, we're told in our trainer to "Never answer, why a person was banned, or removed. It only causes frustration with the customer"... boy were they right.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

Unfortunately it sounds like Microsoft doesn't actually investigate abuse reports, and instead just act on them automatically under the assumption that those who reported the "abuse" knew what they were doing.

Avatar image for giantwhitewhale
    giantwhitewhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By giantwhitewhale

If you fill out your bio or motto or whatever just make it so it is blocked to non-friends

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PufferFiz
    LordAndrew said:
    "Unfortunately it sounds like Microsoft doesn't actually investigate abuse reports, and instead just act on them automatically under the assumption that those who reported the "abuse" knew what they were doing. "
    Yea I have a feeling this is the case. Which is very unfortunate.

Just going to not have anything there. hopefully this never happens again.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17  Edited By dsplayer1010

What did it say?

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PufferFiz
    dsplayer1010 said:
    "What did it say?"
    what did what say?
    my profile?
    Can't remember off the top of my head but I know I did not write anything offensive.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By iamjohn

It's not really helpful to say that you didn't write anything offensive and not be able to tell us what was in your profile.  I'd like to be sympathetic, but if you can't remember what your own profile said, chances are you deserved to get Code of Conducted.

Now that I think about it, one of my friends has had their motto read "Code of Conduct" for a while.  I've always wondered what that was about.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Diamond
    iAmJohn said:
    if you can't remember what your own profile said, chances are you deserved to get Code of Conducted.
    exactly.
    Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Shadow2K6

People just file complaints and Microsoft doesn't really look into it.  If you have a lot of complaints filed on your profile they just slap code of conduct on it.  My friend had "a rock > XBL" as a joke in his bio and he got code of conduct.  Hardly offensive but dumb people will file a complaint.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PufferFiz
    Diamond said:
    "iAmJohn said:
    if you can't remember what your own profile said, chances are you deserved to get Code of Conducted.
    exactly."
    So I can't remember word for word what I had there (since I don't look there and I wrote it a long time ago) that it MUST mean it was offensive.
    That does not make much sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.