Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Is Anyone Else Going To Boycott Xbox One? (Topic 4 years old)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-613c903ddf820
    deactivated-613c903ddf820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm going to buy the platform that best suits my needs and I haven't yet decided whether that's the Xbone or the PS4. I'll make my decision when they've both had a proper hardware review and more information about the game line up. It's beyond me why anyone would boycot a console when there's really not a whole lot known about it.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

people in this day and age do not have it in them to follow through with a boycott. Its just that simple.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No? I'm not going to buy one, but, I would in no way say that I'm boycotting it either. I'm just not interested in buying one.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@cheishxc said:

I fully support people voting with their dollars, if you don't like MS's policies don't buy one. As for me, the issues people are up in arms about don't really affect me, and my friends are getting One's so I'll get one.

Why are your friends getting an XBone? Because their friends are?

Biblicals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm a die hard Xbox fan and have been since it hit selves back in 2005.. I pre-ordered the first one with the 120 gb HDD and i've purchased every upgrade from there on. I personally don't play my Xbox 360 but maybe once a week or so depending on how my day is spread out.. there is a few thing I'm concerned about with the new Xbox One that are tugging at my Die Hard gaming mentality for the New Xbox One.

1.) the security system they plan on using.. i have no clue if its true but I've read and heard from a few people that if you don't link your Xbox One to the Internet at least once every 24 hours the game console locks and you have to have the police contact Microsoft stating you are alive and well... ( i guess its a suicide prevention as they call it ) but how many people do you know who have killed themselves over a 360 game?? i haven't heard of or known any one to do so.. usually they just smash a controller or two.. but that's a little far fetched but still a possibility.

2.) you have to have the Kinect connected 24/7. i never used my kinect and i'm pretty sure i will never use the new one either. but that can still be a bit concerning. especially when you hear and read about people saying " that is a way for the government to keep tabs on us.. my friend said " why would they do that when they have Satellites that can see through walls and know exactly what you are eating and what not " i looked at him and said " you know how much money that costs for the government to even start it up every time they wanted to do that?? this would be a cheaper way of doing so especially if we are the ones paying for it " .... and knowing we have to link the system with the internet at least once every 24 hours makes it a little bit hard not to think otherwise....and on top of it all the kinect is voice activated.. lets say you are watching a movie and your dumb ass brother comes in and says Xbox play game.. and now you are watching your brother play a video game when you were just watching a movie that's going to be a bit irritating .. this is going to cause many issues with the console.. voice activation is pretty nice but i think its the lazy mans way..

3.) Knowing you have to have the Xbox One connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours is kind of a hassle for those who want to purchase the system but don't or are not allowed to use the internet on it. i know a few parents that wont let their kids even think about hooking their system up to the internet. they think that the people who play multiplayer games and that are bad influences on their children.. which i can say for a fact that not all people are hot headed and quick to cuss some one out or send nasty pics or messages, but there are those people who do such things that make parents concerned. but what if they wanted to buy it but couldn't because you have to have internet connection to even think about using it? all i'm saying is that is a huge factor in whats going to happen with this new console hitting shelves this November.

4.) the games are region locked ( which was given any ways. ) they are all region locked to begin with.. you can't play an NTSC-J isn't going to work on a system with a NTSC-U/C or a NTSC-C or any other region ... but that's not what gets me.. i can see where game developers can lose out on money because of second hand shops selling and buying video games Such as Game Stop or any other leading franchise that does so.. Think of it this way.. what if you buy the game and don't want it any more.. once the game is played on your console its sealed to your console basically.. least that's what i've been hearing and reading.. now you have a game you purchased and will never play again as long as you live.. what about franchises that rent video games? how will they over come this devastating blow? Another scenario.. what if you wanted to borrow or lend your friend a game? you couldn't because once its been played on your system its sealed to your console. and if you bring your console over to your friends house or want to sell it you have to let Microsoft know of you doing so; so the console doesn't lock once you hook it up to the internet.. i just think that Microsoft is becoming a little controlling over what isn't theirs.. once you purchase the console it becomes the property of the purchaser and there for he or she can do as she pleases with it. in my eyes this will be the second biggest blow to Microsofts franchise Xbox. plus the developers concentrated more on developing the Xbox One than on making and promoting the system for other outside developers to create games for it. not to sure if there will be many games for launch

5.) Last but not least all the media on the desktop.. what the hell is that all about? i like media and what not but that's what i have a Computer for.. when i log onto my Xbox i don't think " oh lets check my twitter or Facebook " i only turn my Xbox on to do 2 things.. (and i'm sure 99% of the world stands behind me on this) Play Video games or watch a damn movie.. what was Microsoft thinking by shoving all these media based widgets and what not into their desktop for the matter.. i don't even know if you can shut certain ones off or not.. i do understand some people are so wrapped up with the media and i can see that they want to access it easier. but what about those who don't care much for media and just want to play video games or watch a movie? ( in my eyes i think xbox 360 held this down very well )

i can say for certain that i will really think about buying the Xbox One but if this is what they bring to the table its not going to be pretty in the end for Microsoft.

I'm more likly going to purchase the PS4 and this is coming from a Hardcore Xbox Fan

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say boycott. But I do not plan to buy one at launch due to their policies. I do hope it changes in a year or so, for now it'll just be my PC/PS4 and perhaps a Wii-U.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm not calling it a "boycott," as I feel like that term is a bit overused. I simply have little interest in what they have to offer, and especially not $499 worth of interest when I'm trying to save money.

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By Mikewarrior

I'm telling everyone I know how I feel about the Xbone, and the issues it has. I sent messages to all my XBL friends asking them what they think, and not a single one wants to get the Xbone. I asked them to keep letting people know, and get the word out. They are telling their friends on XBL as well. = Word of mouth is going to hurt Microsoft very badly, and we still have 5 months to go.

Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No, but I wait and see on all console launches. As for Xbox and Sony, this go around is role reversal to me, and no one truly boycotted or abandoned Sony on the PS3. It'll all shake out that the bad parts will whither on consumer sales.

Avatar image for 23r23d23r23423r23r
    23r23d23er23r234f2f2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll get an xboxone in a few years if they're cheap enough just so I can dick around on Halo every now and then

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By Mikewarrior

@xaviersx said:

No, but I wait and see on all console launches. As for Xbox and Sony, this go around is role reversal to me, and no one truly boycotted or abandoned Sony on the PS3. It'll all shake out that the bad parts will whither on consumer sales.

The PS3 was never this bad, and it didn't segregate who was able to play games on it like the Xbone needing online to play games.

Jeff Gerstmann warned everyone that it was a total reversal. He knew

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm still-still buying it day one, yea.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By Subjugation

@warchief: It's the truth. People don't have the willpower to boycott. I'm not going to dig through this thread to see if this has been posted yet, but this is a classic example:

No Caption Provided

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im not boycotting it, but i'm just not going to buy one that console.

really i dont care about the hole thing since it would not affect me in any way, shape or form.

im more annoyed personally about the fact that there main focus was all the things you could do with the xbox, that i am already able to do now.
    all the gestures, skype and voice commands and what not. is already available in my tv, i can even turn on my tv, console and stereo with one button if i want to, and my tv is really not that new and my stereo is about 12 years old.

@bell_end said:

on balance.. my friends can buy there own dam games

wait are you saying there is going to be a new pontifex sequal, count me in

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Aetheldod

Yes I will ... unless thy get rid of the 24 hrs drm nonsense ( should be the same as the steam offline mode) and kinnect ... the rest I can live with

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If by boycott you mean "Won't buy an Xbone." Then yes, I am boycotting the Xbone. If you mean "Stand around outside stores selling Xbone or going onto the internet and acting like an ass trying to get people to hate Xbone" when you say boycott then no.... I am not boycotting Xbone.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@subjugation said:

@warchief: It's the truth. People don't have the willpower to boycott. I'm not going to dig through this thread to see if this has been posted yet, but this is a classic example:

No Caption Provided

That boycott MW2 image and argument don't really work here.

"Boycotting" MW2 would have been going against the self-interest of those players. They WANTED to play MW2. Compare that to those "boycotting" Xbox One.

Boycotting MW2 = never getting to play the sequel to what was perhaps the most anticipated game for most of these players.

Boycotting Xbox One and buying a PS4 instead = retaining your property rights, being able to play offline, not buying a system that could require motion controls in any game, not supporting a platform that refuses to allow developers to self-publish, not supporting a platform that charges developers to patch their game, and playing 80 to 90 percent of the same games as Xbox One, because the vast majority of games for any system are mutliplatform. If I already decided to only buy one console, I'd also be giving up one set of exclusive games for another set of exclusive games.

I never ended up buying a PS3 because it lacked cross-game voice chat, and I didn't have time to play exclusive titles for both systems along with multiplatform games. "Boycotting" PS3 has been pretty easy for me. "Boycotting" a highly anticipated game such as BioShock: Infinite--to give an example--would have been much harder.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No doubt I'm boycotting it, I'm not even making a point out of it, I just have no interest in every buying it after this bullshit.

Not really boycotting, just being a smart consumer.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I will boycott your boycott.

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not boycotting this actually. I can see above these DRM, new rules and such.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By mandude

Charles Boycott: A landowner who evicted his tenants (even when they had paid rent), and demolished their homes for no other purpose than to keep them out.

Microsoft: A company that isn't forcing you to do or buy anything.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well lucky for me I will only have the option to "boycott" in 2014 because Asia.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"boycotting" some product is just stupid.

I will just not going to buy it, not going to acknowledge it, and talk about what a lousy idea it would be to everyone that asks my opinion.

In the end, it will have the same effect, without the juvenile feeling I am making a political and philosophical point.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Its a completely valid comparison. People that "boycotted" MW2 did it for a number of reasons: complaining about dedicated servers, complaining about the blockbuster story, complaining about Activision, complaining about the state of the franchise, etc. Or they would be, if they actually care enough to put their money (or lack of) where their mouths were. In the end, their self-interest gained over their Internet personas and they bought the game.

In the case of the XB1, its the same idea. You talk like there are no people that really, really want to play the next Forza or Titanfall, and even when they don't like any of the changes Microsoft has done to their EULA and are preaching to anyone online that hears them, they are likely to zip it, forget about their pride and buy a new XBox at the end of the year. Why? Because their self-interest gained over their Internet persona and they "had to" buy those games.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Why boycott a system? IS this what the world is coming to? I thought boycotts are meant for people in Unions needing to get paid more or other stuff like that.

Avatar image for dancingpolkabear
    dancingpolkabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I'm not buying one till they have good exclusives. Ryse and Killer Instinct by Double Helix are not convincing me I need one at launch. But I would buy one in a heartbeat for Swery65's or Remedy's new game.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't buy one. If that's a boycott, then I'm boycotting, yes.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey look, an account that has no avatar and three posts made a flamebait thread about the Xbone. You guys seriously think this is more than some idiot troll. The lack of vitriol in the original post and title especially tell you that much, because if someone wanted to make a hate thread for a new console they wouldn't just drop it out of nowhere and then disappear. Wouldn't be surprised if this was an Xbone fan who knows what buttons to press to get a reaction.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330  Edited By Funkydupe

Let's be crazy and anti-boycott it. Let's buy three each minimum, that'll show whoever needs showing that something isn't right or wrong about what concerns them deeply!

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I want to play Titanfall and Fantasia. I will probably be a 3 console owner this generation.

dragonfello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332  Edited By dragonfello
    LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think "not purchasing" falls under the "boycott" category, so....yes? For now?

Biblicals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boycotting = " To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion"

no i am not boycotting Xbox One, I am just not going to buy the console for my own reason not because others are or because i want them to change any thing it is m choice in the end and i'm pretty sure that Microsoft will fix what ever issues it has if people to speak up. they are only doing as they see fit.. It's like picking out a car.. you want certain bells and whistles to suit your wants and needs. if that particular car doesn't fit those needs you go onto the next one till you find the closest to your wants and needs.. PS4 fits my wants better than the Xbox One so i will go that road this time around but maybe next gen consoles will be better for Microsoft

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By Nivash

Why can't people ever seem to use boycott correctly these days? It's not a boycott if you're not buying something you were never expected to buy! You have to give something up for it to be a boycott! This is just choosing a competing product.

A real boycott would be to boycott everything Microsoft over this, as in getting rid of your Windows, cancelling your Live account, trading in your 360 for a PS3, those kinds of thing. And even then it would be a pointless boycott if you didn't organize with a large group of people and made it clear WHY you're boycotting something.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Boycott? No.

Picketing? Yes.

"Get outta here ya no good lazy scabs!"

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#337  Edited By tourgen

Boycott is something you do when a company is dumping toxic chemicals into farmland or using the national guard to violently bust up a union.

So no I'm not boycotting Microsoft. I'm just not going to buy the Xbone. It's a bad deal.

bonniebianco70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By bonniebianco70

i bought x box s .i was excited then disappointed . my x box s needs the internet. i was unaware of this despite massive media coverage including tv , internet,newspapers, in-store brochures, and the tiny word on the box saying "recommended".this word should be "compulsory internet and should clearly be in large bold print of front of box and mentioned repeatedly in media promotions.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Wow, it's interesting to see this thread again, several years later. It's also interesting to read my posts on this topic.

I love how people just dogpiled on the person who posted this thread, and I LOVE how all that dogpile crap could not have proven to be more wrong.

Microsoft should have listened to their customers sooner, rather than later. If they did, they'd likely still be in first place. At least they're now offering the product that they should have released in the first place.

@bonniebianco70: If I'm not mistaken, you just need to connect online once, and then you can use your console offline. If that's not the situation, at least it used to be.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac I'll bet you a dollar that he will never reply to you.

I'm slowly starting to get this urge to necro some threads myself, so that I can tell someone from 7 years ago that their opinion is wrong. I think this forums needs a feature that tells you when you're about to post to a thread from 20 years ago and that it's likely the OP will never, ever see your reply.

/rant

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@glots said:

@spaceinsomniac I'll bet you a dollar that he will never reply to you.

I'm slowly starting to get this urge to necro some threads myself, so that I can tell someone from 7 years ago that their opinion is wrong. I think this forums needs a feature that tells you when you're about to post to a thread from 20 years ago and that it's likely the OP will never, ever see your reply.

/rant

I didn't necro the thread. I just find it interesting to see it all again. I responded to someone who posted less than a couple hours ago, and I told them that they should only need to connect their Xbox One to the internet during the initial setup.

If I do or don't get a response, I don't mind either way. It was a first post on a forum thread that was likely found through google, so I wouldn't want to take your bet. You can keep your dollar. I think you're right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.