Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Is Anyone Else Going To Boycott Xbox One? (Topic 4 years old)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

What boycott? Either you buy it or you don't. I have yet to by an entire pineapple...am i boycotting pineapples? I will likely only buy one of the next gen systems..I haven't heard enough about either one to make the decision on which it will be yet. That said..XBOXONE has some explaining to do.

jdw519

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Boycott is a strong word, but it's certainly at a point where I probably won't buy one unless they show some really crazy exclusive games.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By Ravenlight

Boycott? No.

That doesn't mean I'm going to buy it, however.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@benny said:

Your username is a great rap name.

Jesus christ you're right Benny. At least this thread had some redeeming factor

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

For what? Do we even know for sure all this crap spewed on forums is true? Even if I decide not to get one, I'm not boycotting it.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

URGH

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By penguindust

Yes, but only until something cool comes out for the system.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If boycotting how then can I watch a movie and use internet explorer at the same time, and potentially skype? How will I change TV channels if I had any?

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For what? Do we even know for sure all this crap spewed on forums is true? Even if I decide not to get one, I'm not boycotting it.

I agree. Also I wish people would actually allow Microsoft to explain themselves instead of jumping on to every "horrible" rumor out there. They did a bad job of trying to clear everything up with all the miscommunication, but I think (hopefully) E3 be better to explain what they meant.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What crap in particular do you doubt? Most of it is backed up by quotes from Microsoft themselves.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Leptok

Was not planning on getting one, so I guess its not a boycott.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not going to boycott it since I wasn't interested to begin with. Mainly because of two reasons: the fancy features they have added won't work in Sweden and I am not going to buy another console which hides core features behind a pay wall.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nope...but I wont be running out getting one first day either.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because the people complaining are being stupid. The 360 requires the disc in the tray for installed games to prevent sharing, and this one replaces it with an online authentication. Same piracy protection, but now I don't have to constantly switch discs, and chances are that it won't even need to validate online as long as you're playing on the same system you initially installed on (again, just like the 360).

Literally NOTHING has changed except the phrase "disc in tray" has changed to "authenticate online".

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I don't know if I'd say I'll boycott it but I have no plans to get one. There's jack shit in terms of Microsoft exclusives I care about so there's no one game that would make me get one.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#166  Edited By pr1mus

Where's the damn White House petition already!

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I mean I always wait close to a year before getting a new console anyways. Why would anyone, really? All the crying about used games yet that is how it's always been on PC. At least they are giving you an option to pay some fee to be able to get it.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't call it a boycott, I just don't intend to get one because so far it seems pretty shitty.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By warchief

sorry to say dude, but boycotts are such utter bullshit in this day and age. People make a stand for about 15min then forget about it. Xbox one will do fine.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#170  Edited By Moonshadow101

A single person can't boycott something, that's not what that word means. Boycott is most properly used as a noun, but if you really want to use it as a verb, the acting party needs to be a group or organization. Using it for a single person just comes off as an attempt to give an undeserved level of gravitas to a pretty ordinary decision. There are literally millions of things that you are not buying, you don't need a special word for it unless you're doing so as part of an organized effort with other people.

Also, like most people who are not idiots, I haven't made a decision on this yet, because we know nothing about the games lineup and very little about the DRM system. And frankly, the DRM system probably won't be any worse than steam, so it seems deeply silly to pretend that MS is committing some sort of grand insult by going in that direction.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I wouldn't call it a boycott, but even though I owned every console this generation, I'm wondering if I'll be able to get by without this one.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im starting a petition to boycott petitions.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my decision to boycott xbox one was made when i discovered this:

"Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes."

i am not ok with this big brother/stellar wind future. i do not abide it.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not entirely sure the OP understands what a boycott is.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#175  Edited By monkeyking1969

Boycott? Umm, well I won't buy one, but a boycott implies a 'concerted effort to avoid' something. I will not give buying a XB One a though, because is will require no effort at all to not purchase. As described, I would not even want a XB One -- it is not desirable You would boycott a good product made by people you disagree with. But, it is hard to boycott something that you would not want.

HulkHanson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting weird deja vu from this thread...

Herby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Herby

Nope, day 1 purchase for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to say I won't buy one because I don't know what the future holds, but I have no plans of buying one.

I never bought a ps3, but that wasn't specifically because of anything wrong with the ps3. I never found games on it I liked until closer to the end of the generation when I was already done playing games on a console.

I don't even know that I would pick up a ps4. Too many unknowns at this point. At this point, however, it looks like a more attractive package than the xbox one.

Going into this next generation there are some questions people have to ask themselves about how they use their consoles. If you play the majority of the time while connected to the internet, how does always online hurt you? Do you buy used games? How much other media do you expect of these things?

These questions and issues aren't exclusive to either console. They're both probably going to have similar DRM and connectivity requirements. It seems silly to damn one for it when the other might have something similar. For me it comes down to them offering an experience I want to have in terms of games, and until I see the games I want to play there isn't any need to stress over any of this.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#179  Edited By project343

Boycott? That's ridiculous. I'm just not going to buy one because the philosophy that Microsoft is embracing doesn't appeal to me.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is it with boycotting everything now-a-days?

If you don't like it don't buy it. Just pick up a PS4 instead. Sheesh.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Boycotting" an XBOX is really, really silly. Boycott something that actually matters, like a school dance that doesn't let gay couples attend.

You just decided not to buy a piece of technology because it doesn't fit your needs, that's it.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

...No?

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to get one console at or near launch, and had owned a 360 exclusively prior to both these announcements. Now I plan on getting a PS4. The Xbox One seems like a device hostile to consumers, and designed for people who want to watch cable TV. Sony's presentation actually made me excited to experience their new product. Microsoft's made me feel alienated.

And clearly OP is asking if you will actively NOT purchase one because of Microsoft's vision. Everyone getting hung up on the "Boycott" terminology needs to fucking relax.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Gravier251

I'm not going to actively boycott them. Though that dosn't mean I am going to get one either. I'm leaning towards just getting a PS4 for whatever exclusives they end up having. This gen the PS3 had all the exclusives that interested me and hopefully for everything else I can just get them for PC.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

It's not a boycott if I just don't buy one.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, don't be dumb.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If by boycott you mean "Consider not getting one" then yes, I'm boycotting it. I think that taking a side either way this early without everything having been officially revealed is stupid. Yes, some of the things they've been saying thus far have left me... concerned, but I'm not going to declare doom upon the Xbox One until it's actually out.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#188  Edited By viking_funeral

Boycott? No.

Not buying. Yeah, probably not. But then again I'm not buying any 8th gen console at launch.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably won't get one this year, maybe at some point down the line if there's a couple exclusive games that I want.

And as I said somewhere else, if PS4 has free online play I'm going to be actively pushing my friends towards that instead this time around. So, if strongly recommending PS4 over Xbone is a boycott, then... maybe?

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An individual refusing to purchase something does not constitute a boycott.

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes i'm going to boycott a product because of a 1 hour presentation that we have no hard and true answers about. #dumb

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#192  Edited By golguin

The being connected online at least once every 24 hours and the fees for used games and simply letting a friend borrow a game is a deal breaker for me. I play most of my games through Gamefly and Redbox and swapping games with friends so it literally makes ZERO SENSE to buy the Xbox One as things currently stand.

I'm not boycotting anything. Microsoft simply wont get my money.

Dvsshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

: "The same type of way that we tend to put entertainment experiences behind gold, we will, because that's where we feel like we can really create a really magical experience."

What does that even mean?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro-Tip: If you say that you are going to boycott a system that you didn't plan on buying in the first place... you are not boycotting.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to actively boycott. I'm just not buying the piece of shit BroBox.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not boycotting but probably not going to buy it anytime within its release period. The PS4 just seems like a better console to me with a better line up of games. Boycotting stuff rarely works too, especially in cases like this where the underlying reasons for MS having a "used game fee" is totally justifiable.

dgtlmeatloaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Wannnnttttt it. I'm really feelin the whole thing. + the games will come I'm sure. I only play indies on my tab anyway so I don't really care about them

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I am more concerned about the required connectivity to check authenticity. Granted that may changed, or be clarified, between now and launch. However to answer your question, no I will not boycott it, but I also will not buy it. I don't want to read like the masses, but with Steam Big Picture mode I can enjoy the same games, with better graphics and much cheaper prices, from the comfort of my sofa. In no way as this Xbox "One" compelled me to changed.

PS. Also, fuck talking to my TV... or Xbox. Fuck it with a gigantic monolithic stone.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

No, I'm simply not going to buy one as my 360 turned out to be a huge fucking waste of money.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#200  Edited By Tackchevy

I'll boycott some shit with you, OP. Let's stick it to M$ up until or possibly months into their product launch. Fuck them and their consumer electronics products!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.