Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Is Anyone Else Going To Boycott Xbox One? (Topic 4 years old)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@gooiegreen said:

If by boycott you mean continue to have no plans on buying one... sure! I'm in. Continuing mission!

Anyone else want to join me in boycotting heroin?

This... I don't think of myself as being such a staunch Xbox customer that I think not buying their new system would constitute a boycott.

But you're probably pretty bummed about the heroin boycott, I would have thought. Seems like that would hit you the hardest.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#52  Edited By Little_Socrates

No, but the PlayStation Vita is suddenly a higher priority than X1.

Avatar image for supermanjohnathankentjr
    SupermanJohnathanKentJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because of people being dumb, I'm going to buy three Xbox Ones.

Who's being dumb?

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Poppduder

@supermanjohnathankentjr: Boycotting is a pointless and childish effort in futility. Do you really think that Microsoft is going to change their carefully choreographed 6+ year plan just because a few kids are upset about mandatory installs and internet connectivity? Am I going to buy an XBONE? Probably not. Do I find the associate fee with used games kind of disgusting? Yeah I guess, but I dont really buy used games anyway. Mandatory online connection once in a given period doesn't bother me and I dont even have a reliable internet connection at home. So no I'm not going to boycott it, I'm just simply not going to buy it because I as a consumer do not matter to this Billion dollar corporation and neither do you.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By Shaunage

No.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah! Just like how I'm boycotting the Wii U, regular exercise, and steady employment! I even slept in this morning and ended up boycotting a class, though that was an accident. Power to the People!

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

No because I'm able to control myself in safely ignoring something that I'm mildly interested in or have no interest at all without making a big stink about how game developers and hardware manufacturers owe me everything as a gamer.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By InternetDotCom

Why stop at a boycott? Let's take this straight to Obama!

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They won't 'back off' a feature like this, they've been looking for a way to cash in on the used game market for ages and something like this allows them to do it at the hardware level with every game.

Also, you don't think the PS4 will have some similar system for making sure they are cut in on used game sales?

keoskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By keoskey

I am boycotting this forum Topic

I am not boycotting Xbox one. I am thinking of buying one.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ben_h said:

No. And most people who claim they are going to boycott it will end up buying it anyway.

I ended up "boycotting" PS3 because it didn't have party chat. Seriously, that's the main reason why I never picked up the system. I didn't mind paying 60 dollars a year, because I felt that I was getting the best experience. That, and I really don't need to play the handful of exclusives of both consoles.

With Xbox One:

- Always on internet requirement (must connect every 24 hours)

- Violates your consumer rights (no loaning, borrowing, renting, and a fee for used games)

- Always on camera requirement (with potential to violate your privacy rights)

- Focus on media at the expense of games (only 5GB of GDDR3 RAM accessible to games, while 3GB of RAM will be reserved for the OS) Compare this to Sony, which will allow their full 8GB of GDDR5 RAM to be used by actual games). Actual Microsoft quote: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment play."

- Continuing to keep "free" services behind an Xbox Live Gold account pay-wall (including things like Netflix, multiplayer, and soon to include your television) Another actual Microsoft quote: When asked if Xbox One television will be placed behind a pay-wall: "The same type of way that we tend to put entertainment experiences behind gold, we will, because that's where we feel like we can really create a really magical experience."

- Hostile to indie developers (No self-publishing, despite both Sony and Nintendo allowing it)

If after all of that, if you don't think that I won't "boycott" this system by not buying one, then you don't know me. As for the number of people raging online now, who will cave the second they can get one, I'm sure there are at least some of them. It's hard to know how many just yet. But if Sony offers a better GAMING experience in every way, people will see that, and they'll respond accordingly.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#63  Edited By Slag

I don't know enough about it conclusively to boycott it.

Doesn't matter I'll be only getting 1 console at most anyway next gen and I've never been and Xbox guy. All X1 was remove themselves from contention for my money.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm probably not going to get one at launch. I'll get one eventually though because it'll have great games.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Poppduder

@poppduder said:

@supermanjohnathankentjr: Boycotting is a pointless and childish effort in futility. Do you really think that Microsoft is going to change their carefully choreographed 6+ year plan just because a few kids are upset about mandatory installs and internet connectivity? Am I going to buy an XBONE? Probably not. Do I find the associate fee with used games kind of disgusting? Yeah I guess, but I dont really buy used games anyway. Mandatory online connection once in a given period doesn't bother me and I dont even have a reliable internet connection at home. So no I'm not going to boycott it, I'm just simply not going to buy it because I as a consumer do not matter to this Billion dollar corporation and neither do you.

Childish would be me finishing reading this post. Have a nice day.

Don't take things so personally.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Boycott? Its called just don't buy one. Whats the point of getting official about it. Just don't buy one thats the only thing that will affect them. At this point I'm leaning PS4 because nothing of what they showed was I got to have that. There are some features that Xbox has that PS4 is still a big question mark. Everyone is saying wait for E3 for the games. They are going to be the same, perhaps more differentiation for the first year but historically thats it. If your waiting for E3 for games to sway you one way or another you are blind and have not noticed the direction the wind is changing for an entire gen.

Its going to be features, PS4 aside from the share functionality is totally unknown still. I have zero interest in Kinect, and negative interest if possible in the TV stuff. But I love the installing off the disc then shoving it in a box and never needing it again aspect of the Xbox. If PS4 doesn't have that and there isn't some bending you over a barrel with used games on Xbox that may sway me over. I'm in a holding pattern with my loyalty. Neither console having backwards compatibility has me all over the place with which way I want to go. I got space for two consoles with my entertainment set up. One of the current gen consoles is going away and thats a major problem that one of the new ones cannot pull double duty. I got to sacrifice one of systems on the altar of next gen come November.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Eidderf

I am boycotting all new consoles due to them probably being more expensive than the amount of money I have to spend, currently I am boycotting a lot of things.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boycott? You mean like holding a protest at Gamestop or Best Buy? Hell no I've got better things to do. Now will I buy one? Once again Hell no.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boycott herion?! What's next on your boycott list, fuzzy kittens and the concept of world peace?

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not boycotting, but not buying it right away. Just wondering if I should just get into the gaming PC market and give up on consoles altogether, or spring for a PS4.

That press conference yesterday left me cold, and more and more disappointed as Microsoft flailed around trying to get a handle on all the different executives saying contradictory stuff.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fight the power!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ben_h said:

No. And most people who claim they are going to boycott it will end up buying it anyway.

I ended up "boycotting" PS3 because it didn't have party chat. Seriously, that's the main reason why I never picked up the system. I didn't mind paying 60 dollars a year, because I felt that I was getting the best experience. That, and I really don't need to play the handful of exclusives of both consoles.

With Xbox One:

- Always on internet requirement (must connect every 24 hours)

- Violates your consumer rights (no loaning, borrowing, renting, and a fee for used games)

- Always on camera requirement (with potential to violate your privacy rights)

- Focus on media at the expense of games (only 5GB of GDDR3 RAM accessible to games, while 3GB of RAM will be reserved for the OS) Compare this to Sony, which will allow their full 8GB of GDDR5 RAM to be used by actual games). Actual Microsoft quote: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics. We targeted it more as a broad entertainment play."

- Continuing to keep "free" services behind an Xbox Live Gold account pay-wall (including things like Netflix, multiplayer, and soon to include your television) Another actual Microsoft quote: When asked if Xbox One television will be placed behind a pay-wall: "The same type of way that we tend to put entertainment experiences behind gold, we will, because that's where we feel like we can really create a really magical experience."

- Hostile to indie developers (No self-publishing, despite both Sony and Nintendo allowing it)

If after all of that, if you don't think that I won't "boycott" this system by not buying one, then you don't know me. As for the number of people raging online now, who will cave the second they can get one, I'm sure there are at least some of them. It's hard to know how many just yet. But if Sony offers a better GAMING experience in every way, people will see that, and they'll respond accordingly.

I think you took my post a little too seriously. Just saying.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By happenstance

Im not buying one but thats not because im boycotting it, I just dont want one.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If by boycott, you mean not buy, then yes, but I don't hate it, it just doesn't have the features I'm looking for.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Will I stil be boycotting it if I didn't buy the 360, and based on the current details I am not planning to buy a one?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not boycotting it, I'm just not going to buy it because it sounds like a shitty fucking console. Tv has been dying for a long time, so it seems like a stupid decision to make such a big deal about it. I've never wanted to play any xbox exclusive games, and I have a feeling that wont change with the new generation. I care about indie games (which they arent allowing to be self published like sony, valve, or nintendo). I prefer dual shock controllers. I don't give a rats ass about kinect. I don't care about call of duty, or sports games.

Sony isn't out of the water either. They need to make sure of the following before they get my money

1. No always online bullshit. MS makes it so you have to connect every 24 hours. Pretty sure sony said ps4 can play offline whenever you want, but not sure

2. I don't want to pay for online services like multiplayer. It's fine that they put cloud storage/other small features behind ps plus, but I expect to have multiplayer/netflix/an internet browser free of charge

3. If they have used game preventive measures, please make it not be mandatory full installs. That's just fucking dumb. Also, please do away with mandatory installs. The disc drive is way faster in the ps4, so it should not have trouble reading blu ray discs.

4. If they have to have that stupid camera thing boxed in with every system, please don't make it an integral controller like the kinect. It's cool for identifying players/voice commands, but I'd rather not have that shit affect my gameplay

5. Please let users change the internal storage like ps3... I'd rather not have to lug around a huge fucking external harddrive when I bring the console somewhere.

6. Please have cross chat so people stop bitching about it. It's not that important of a feature, and just takes away from system resources. Go get a fucking laptop and skype with people if you really feel the need to talk to them while you're playing a different game.

7. Please dont have the console be more that 400 dollars, I beg of you

I also recommend having gaikai letting me play digital ps3 games. It would also be cool if when you put a ps3 disc in a ps4, it reads what game it is and lets you play it over gaikiai (it's possible since ps3 discs have tags on them to tell the network what game it is). I don't expect these things to happen though... It would still be nice

There it is sony... Please don't screw this up; I've put my faith in you since the ps1, and you havent screwed it up yet. Sure, the ps3 was a stinker upon release, but it slowly turned into the best console this generation (a fact that I will argue all day about, so don't start any shit if you think otherwise. We're all allowed to have opinions).

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

Any system that can annoy and inconvenience the average 'core' gamer to the point of unchecked Internet Rage is a system that I will gladly support. Looking forward to it!

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not boycotting, it I just rather have a PS4 this go round.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Taking a step back and imagining the sheer number of threads created in internet rage since the announcement, I have to wonder if Sony's clear success at playing to the very segment raging at MS is going to pay off. After all we'll see if this rage matters, represents more than an insignificant minority to do little to Sony's sales numbers, and if later features/revisions don't bring in a lot of people anyway.

My guess is what once a ton of people get it, get used to it, talk about it, and MS tweaks some things, the adoption rate will continue along its merry way.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bell_end: That isn't how it works. You HAVE to install the game from the disc, which then becomes useless, unless you're logged into your account. They haven't said what they'll do if you want to play it on multiple accounts/systems. Probably nothing, cause they want that sweet ol buckaroonies

RyenDeckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that stupid, I just won't purchase it until I have a reason to.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

no

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@rebgav said:

I am already boycotting this product which isn't out yet and will only be available in limited quantities for a while after launch because I enjoy pointless gestures.

And pointless gestures would include your post in my thread. You're really good at this.

Trying to make friends already? Also do you really think this "boycott" would change their minds and make them "Back off"?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By confusedowl

I'm not buying one but I'm not boycotting it either. I dislike what they're doing but I'm not going to go on a long rant about it and proclaim that the gaming industry is dead to me.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#87 FinalDasa  Moderator

Do you boycott Steam for having always online DRM?

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think having standards counts as a boycott.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By GooieGreen

@gooiegreen said:

Boycott herion?! What's next on your boycott list, fuzzy kittens and the concept of world peace?

Depends; are these peace-loving furballs slinging Sweet Jesus?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BaneFireLord

I'm not explicitly boycotting it, but I see no compelling reason to buy one based on the information that is currently available.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#91  Edited By CoinMatze

I bet a Dota 2 key that the PS4 will have something similar concerning used games.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Hungry

I'm not boycotting it, I just think the Xbox One is shit and not worth any money.

Maybe the PS4 will be worth money, but now that it has a better PC architecture there will probably be more PC versions of PS4 games. Either way, PC reigns supreme.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#93  Edited By s-a-n-JR

No, I'm not going to boycott it. To boycott it would suggest that I'm taking a stance of some sort. I'm just not going to buy it, because I have literally zero interest in what they've shown so far. Granted, E3 is around the corner.

InsaneGenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By InsaneGenis

Why boycott it? I only buy one system at launch and then wait until the second drops in price. Except this time I wasn't. After seeing Xbox's press conference, I'm now going to again. I bought the Xbox first last time. Then Sony later.

It's not doing anything the Playstation isn't going to do and Microsoft has become to ad heavy. After advertising Star Trek, espn and EA during this press conference, well........ Fuck them.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#95  Edited By Vinny_Says

Yeah OP you show them greedy M$ bastards....

....as you write this from your windows PC

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Franstone

No way, I'll be there on day one picking up mine.
    Craziness...
    I don't buy used games and I don't let people borrow my discs so they can scratch the fuck out of them.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By WalkerD

I probably won't end up getting one on release, and probably not within it's one-th year. But boycotting is silly, it's like an online petition except even more pointless.

Edit: I fucking hate the quoting system sometimes.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im not going to boycott ether console as both will have this bullshit anti consumer pre owned stratagy. but however i am taking a serious look at pc gaming and a good computer. i love sonys exclusive ip but i think this pre-owned "fee" of full price is the final prod there giving us for us to say enough is enough.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If by boycott you mean probably wont end up buying one then yeah

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm probably not going to buy one but i'm not calling that boycotting because I'm not that much of an asshole.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.