Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Is Anyone Else Going To Boycott Xbox One? (Topic 4 years old)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By kishinfoulux

See you all day one. ^_^

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sure. I'll boycott Xbox One with you until it's got some exclusive games I want to play.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I 'm not going to boycott anything. I buy if I like it and don't buy else. So far I haven't seen much from them that convinced me to buy. The controller looks very nice and I like the design of the box. But I'm not in the US so the whole entertainment hub, cable tv, football stuff is nothing I'm going to use. I use my phone or ipad to browse the web - I never felt the need to use my console for that. Also I'm playing games with my pc monitor while sitting at my desk. I'm not sure how and if kinect can even deal with my setup. Finally the 500gb non-replacable hdd is another negative point.

The potential used game fee is no big deal for me as I don't buy or borrow used games. Same with always on. However I see that this can be a problem for many people and in general I don't like beeing forced to do something. I will likely be always connected (or every 24h) but if you try to force me to do it I may just shy away.

Lets just see what they show at E3. So far I have a better feeling for PS4, but as I got a new PC I'm probably going to wait till next year and see how things pan out before buying any new console whatsoever.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

I'm not really interested in boycotting a fucking video game machine. I also can't say I'm particularly interested in buying the damn thing right now, but I also know next to fuck all about it.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By sjosz

Why would I? I buy my games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I'll get both and enjoy all the games instead of being petty and enjoying less games. Works for me.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, in a similar way as everybody boycotts in reality: I'll kvetch under my breath about the bad decisions, buy the competing console, then when I have the money, I'll buy this one as well. Because at the end of the day, it's a box what makes video games happen, and I like boxes that do that.

Fuck everything surrounding it, I just want to use a controller for to be making the funtimes.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember the time when we were talking about if there is gonna be a console war this time around too like the last time?

Yeah, say goodbye to those days, sucker. Shit just got real!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm just not buying one unless they really step it up with exclusives and the dashboard better not suck balls, but it looks like it is already continuing with taking half of the screen up with ads.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By JasonR86

I'm just probably not going to buy it. I don't need to make a big stink about it.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Nope. Just you.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If by boycott you mean that I won't buy one, then yes. Because I wasn't going to no matter what they did.

Avatar image for shawnyofthedead
    shawnyofthedead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm thinking of not buying one if that helps

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I'm not going to boycott it. I'm just not going to buy it.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only in as much as I wasn't really planning to get one in the first place (I've never bought any Xbox previously)

flushpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

No. And most people who claim they are going to boycott it will end up buying it anyway.

yep

double yep.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#117  Edited By ThePickle

Why stop at a boycott? Let's take this straight to Obama!

Don't you know? He's the whole reason behind the 24 hour online check! It's all Obamacare!

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I don't care what you do with your money. It's yours.

I won't buy it until they address some of these issues.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Nictel

I would join you but I am boycotting boycots.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#120  Edited By grilledcheez

Nah, I actually read an article that focused on what features it did have rather than what it doesn't, and it made me very optimistic...they're doing a lot of cool things.

ministry4390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ben_h said:

No. And most people who claim they are going to boycott it will end up buying it anyway.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the problem with this. You install games and can play them without the disk. You can take the disk to your friend's house, install it on their console and play it as long as you're logged into youraccount.I don't see the problem here.

Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Silock

I will boycott it till the cows come home i'm afraid. Glorified cable box that nobody asked for.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really boycott. Just not buy it until a few years later. I never buy consoles at launch, especially non backwards compatible ones. No games yo!

crow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going to boycott ms for this you're going to have to boycott Sony and Steam too because they are going to do/are doing similar things. Steam you have to connect at least once to install your games, and although Sony hasn't confirmed it I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar policy regarding used game fees.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got news for you, Sony will proooooobably end up doing the whole used game fee too. Here's the thing. Buy new games.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#127  Edited By TheHT

I will join you in this endeavour, SupermanJohnathanKentJr. You shall lead us to the promised land. I have seen it in my soda.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By phantomzxro

I won't boycott but it simply comes down to if i want to support the plan they are setting out for their customers. I will say that i hate the attitude that we don't matter as a consumer because we are the minorities among the masses. That this is the "wave of the future" so why fight it. That everything is connected so what is the problem?

I don't agree, because it comes down to giving people what they want and not giving people statements like "they should want what we are giving them". I'm normally pretty set in getting all systems so the whole console wars is just entertainment talk on the internet because all i want is good games and i will pick up any system to enjoy all these great games.

Voting with your wallet has become more of a stronger message than any complaining you can do on the internet because it all falls on deaf ears as "That crazy internet mob complaining again" to others in the gaming industry. So if you can't warn them by letting them know this is not cool for us fans than the only step left is to show them with action.

As i said i would have picked up the X1 at some point but i may wait until they get their act and message together about what this system is and who it really is for.

McTangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The same way people boycotted L4D2? Yeah that was brutal.

RIP Valve, Steam, Gabe Newell.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@thepickle said:

@gorillamopena said:

Don't you know? He's the whole reason behind the 24 hour online check! It's all Obamacare!

You joke about that, but Bill Gates is actually one of the largest supporters of the Obama administration's universal education reform, and Kinect 2.0 can see into your living room read your freaking heartbeat. I'm not saying that I actually believe there's a connection, but this is a conspiracy theorist's dream come true. Or should that be worst nightmare?

@crow13 said:

If you're going to boycott ms for this you're going to have to boycott Sony and Steam too because they are going to do/are doing similar things. Steam you have to connect at least once to install your games, and although Sony hasn't confirmed it I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar policy regarding used game fees.

So requiring an online connection the first time you use a digital download, and requiring an online connection once every day to play a single player game that you bought in a store are "similar things." Have I got that right?

And it's not as if Sony hasn't commented on this issue: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/sony-rules-out-always-online-for-ps4-report-6408071

“Did we consider it? No, we didn’t consider it," said Yoshida. "The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw [that] do not really have robust Internet.”

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By thatdutchguy

I boycott boycotts

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, boycott. That's cute.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not 'boycotting' it; I'm just not buying it because it doesn't interest me at all.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys seriously fell for this bait? I am very disappointed.

Avatar image for Unannounced_Fart
    Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL, I think the OP was expecting a totally different response from everyone. No boycott from me, and I'll probably buy it day one, just like I will for PS4.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#136  Edited By GreggD

I'll probably get it for the exclusives, so no.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepickle said:

@gorillamopena said:

You joke about that, but Bill Gates is actually one of the largest supporters of the Obama administration's universal education reform, and Kinect 2.0 can see into your living room read your freaking heartbeat. I'm not saying that I actually believe there's a connection, but this is a conspiracy theorist's dream come true. Or should that be worst nightmare?

@crow13 said:

So requiring an online connection the first time you use a digital download, and requiring an online connection once every day to play a single player game that you bought in a store are "similar things." Have I got that right?

And it's not as if Sony hasn't commented on this issue: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/sony-rules-out-always-online-for-ps4-report-6408071

“Did we consider it? No, we didn’t consider it," said Yoshida. "The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw [that] do not really have robust Internet.”

How is Bill Gates supporting Obama-care related to the Xbox having a camera that they've already said wont store your video?

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I am not convinced but at-least I can admit I will probably buy one.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not everything has to be so dramatic. As of right now, I am planning on buying a PS4. This is not out of some moral outrage or planned attack on Microsoft, it is a simply an informed decision arrived at based on a comparison between the features and restrictions of each console. If at some point down the line the Xbox One turns out to have a ton of must play games, I'll probably pick one up.

Calling it a boycott is dumb in so many ways. It makes you look like the kind of tool who would boycott a video game system, it makes you a hypocrite if you ever buy one, even years from now, and it's stupid to get that worked up over something so insignificant.

I am making a purchasing decision based on features, many of which i find to be very unfriendly to consumers, but it is not a boycott.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By wardcleaver

@mctangle said:

The same way people boycotted L4D2? Yeah that was brutal.

RIP Valve, Steam, Gabe Newell.

Yeah, last I heard Gabe was living on the streets. Of course those streets were paved with gold and were surrounded by a huge castle that Gabe calls "home".

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#141  Edited By trylks

http://replygif.net/1066

I'm most probably not going to buy it, but I'm not going to boycott it either. I'm simply going to choose the best option (for me) and chances are xbone will not be that option.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno why, I think I might be going ps4 this time around.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Jimbo

Well that's it, they might as well cancel the whole thing.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By devilzrule27

I'm going to boycott it until some time in November. Unless the price is too high to get both the XBO and the PS4 then I'll have to boycott it a little longer. Take that Microsoft!

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm not going to boycott it, but I probably wont' buy one either.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:

@thepickle said:

@gorillamopena said:

@crow13 said:

How is Bill Gates supporting Obama-care related to the Xbox having a camera that they've already said wont store your video?

There's a reason I used the term "conspiracy theorist." I personally don't think Obama has anything to do with anything MS is doing, and I don't think MS is going to keep video on anyone. I also never said that Gates is supporting Obama-care.

timewarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cannot really consider it a boycott since I was not planning on buying it anyway. Still cautiously optimistic for E3 reveals though. I like the new controller, and Kinect looks promising, but the console itself is very underwhelming. Developer support and games will be the deciding factor for me.

Now if Microsoft did some sort of XBox/PC cross-buy... I'd be all over it.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I will boycott the Xbox One. And I actually have the back bone to stick to it.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By AiurFlux

I'm not boycotting it, I'm just not buying it. Truthfully I already made up my mind a long time ago about any of Microsoft's consoles when I had 3 RRoD's. Fool me once and all that.

Why people aren't questioning the build quality or anything like that is beyond me.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By chrissedoff

I find it baffling that people are considering boycotting the X1 for becoming more like Steam. If you don't want it, don't buy it, but understand that it's not doing some heinous, unprecedented thing that's going to ruin video games. Come back to reality, please.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.