Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Worth getting a Xbox One now?

• 65 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone with a PS4 thinking of getting a Xbox One as well now after E3 announcements? Or is it still not worth it?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I waited for this E3 to recommend a console to my family. Thought the PS4 would drop in price, however after they didn't announce any games for this year, even if they matched priced i still would have told them to get the Xbox.

They are casual gamers they just like to have the option to pick up and play a game whenever they are bored or have nothing else to do. Nothing at the Sony conference (TLG, Shenmue or Final Fantasy) would interest them.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both are still pretty even.

PS has more interesting indie stuff (except cuphead) and xboxs seems to have bigger blockbuster stuff. figure out which you want more.

I will admit this was the year where it made me think twice about xbox one. the rare collection and tomb raider got my really excited about getting one. and with a system that comes with 4 (now working) halo games ive never really played it seems like a good deal.

iof you already have a ps4 id wait until the things you want are out before making that choice. buy a thing for what it is now not what it is promised to be

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Hunter5024

I always intended to pick up an Xbox One eventually, but their press conference made me decide I need one by the end of the year.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The answer to the question of whether an Xbox is worth it is totally subjective. Worth it to who? As an owner of a ps4, wii u, PS3, 360 and a mid range PC, there is nothing that interests me even a little bit on xbox1 that I can't already access on those platforms. But if I didn't have the pc, my answer may be different.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

Yes No Maybe Probably

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It is so hard to say. Really depends a person-to-person basis. Also on whether you prioritize play time with friends when video gaming. I still feel like the Xbox offers a superior social experience, but the gap has narrowed significantly since the last generation.

If you're already entrenched in one ecosystem or the other, there isn't a lot of incentive to jump ships. Now, that's my opinion, of course--you may very well feel like the crop of exclusives of one supercedes the offerings of the other.

Just know that there isn't a "wrong" answer between the two. PS4 or Xbox, either way, you're going to have a solid next generation gaming experience. Though, if you can put up the money for it, a PC with some horsepower might get you further for longer.

TL;DR buy a WiiU.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I still think I might wait for a slim version but yeah, getting harder to resist.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too have found myself trying to talk myself out of the idea I want one the last few days. I switched to Sony because Microsoft made all those silly decisions that they later changed their minds on once it became clear they had to and have really had no regrets, I love the ps4 controller and think the actual console looks much nicer as well(both subjective opinions not facts)

Two years later and I can see that Microsoft has changed it's tune and Phil Spencer's appearance on the live show last night, the way he answered questions really helped shift my opinion of the company as silly as that sounds. Add on top of that and the possibility that I could run some of these 360 games that are just sitting around and having a One sitting around doesn't sound quite so horrible anymore

However the thing I keep coming back to is, is it worth that much money to play such a small number of games? Personally I really want to play Halo 5, Tomb Raider, and Cuphead those are the three that I don't want to miss and are driving this desire. There's a few others I would maybe play but I don't see myself going out to buy them, thus never end up playing them and not something that should drive a purchase. I suppose on the brightside I do know that if I get one I don't need the bigger HDD.

Anything I'm missing, big exclusives outside of GoW, Sunset OD?

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think it's always been worth getting an Xbox One. I've had one since launch and haven't regretted the purchase for a second. It's even more worth getting one now at the lower price point, because they've added a crapton of features, apps, etc., and because there are some proven great exclusives like Forza Horizon 2, Titanfall, MCC (now working), Sunset Overdrive, etc., in addition to Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Forza 6 all coming shortly. And for me, backwards compatibility is huge. It's been a little rocky at times, but MS has delivered on the Xbox One and just keeps making it better and better. Some of the early criticism was deserved, but a whole lot of it was way overblown. I love my Xbox One. It does so much. Highly recommend.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got PS3, PS4, PC. If Quantum Break, Scalebound etc turn out to be 5/5 god-tier titles at GamesCom then I'll be more for getting an Xbox One than a WiiU.

That BC isn't freaking BC, it's not even Bleem! like. It's seeing if you own this game, physical or digital, and if the game has been converted and they have it, you can play its Xbox One version. It's a good idea, a nice idea, but jesus did I get pumped up for next to nothing.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Nah. Any game I'd want for XBone I can play on PC.

I still don't really care much about the current gen of consoles. I only got a PS4 because there are games out for it and going to come out for it that I would want to play at some point.

I can't say the same for Xbox one, but the steps they're taking are commendable. The backwards compatibility thing isn't something that amazing. They should've had it from the start really. PS4 just simply can't because of choices they made for PS3 a long long time ago- so what they have has to be the service they offer. None of the XBox one "exclusives" are interesting to me and the ones that are I can just play on PC anyway.

The real question is if now is the time to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm still not really sure of that.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I bought an Xbox One during tax season after they announced Rock Band 4 and how they're trying to get all the DLC pushed to next-gen. I knew there wasn't anything at that time that really interested me on the One, but at least I had the money for it then and there to prep for RB4's release. After all the announcements made this week, I at least feel better about owning one outside of RB4.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cloudymusic

The announcements at E3 finally tipped the scale enough to make me pick up an Xbox One for the exclusives. At least in the US, Target is still offering a free $50 gift card with the purchase of any 500 GB MCC bundle, which was pretty attractive. I've been having a great time with Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd wait until at least the holidays, if possible. Barring a couple exclusives, I'd say both the PS4 and Xbox One are essentially the same consoles right now. I got an Xbox One last October and I wish I'd waited a bit longer. It's a nice console, I just don't personally ever feel the need to turn it on very much. (I actually contemplated selling it, but ended up keeping because it's too much of a hassle and I don't have anything better to buy with the money)

They do make a pretty strong case to own for the rest of this year, though. Rare Replay, Gears 1 Remake, Forza 6, Tomb Raider, Halo 5, and backwards compatibility. Plus Recore and (hopefully) Quantum Break in early 2016.

If you do get one, make sure to get Sunset Overdrive with it. That game kicks ass.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, none of the games interested me that much. I honestly thought the Halo and Gears demos were some of the most boring of the show. I'm most interested in Tomb Raider but it's a timed exclusive anyway and it's coming out when there's a million other games to play so I can just wait for that to come to ps4. The most exciting things there it seemed for people were being able to play 360 games and a Rare collection of old games, neither of which I care at all about.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

yeh i'ma get one for halo 5 + tomb raider probably

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chilibean_3

Having a nice PC really kills any desire for either console. I'll likely get both sooner or later but I'm still not feeling pressed to get either. I was hoping by now my feelings would have changed and I'm kind of bummed out that I'm still sitting here wondering what I would even play on those systems. I really like almost every decision they're making though.

Maybe there will be some hard to pass up Black Friday deals.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes u should. It's a great system and keeps getting better every month.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Having a nice PC really kills any desire for either console. I'll likely get both sooner or later but I'm still not feeling pressed to get either.

Same here dude. I have been a PC-only gamer for a few years now and I still have no interest in any of the consoles. I was really excited about the new console generation until the specs on both the PS4 and Xbox One were finally released...at that point, I just built a new PC. Down the road I may look each of the consoles used on Craigslist, and hopefully get some that come with a bunch of games. I ended up doing that with the PS3 last generation. I never owned one, and didn't get one until around 2013 when there were a flood of them for sale on Craigslist due to the PS4 being released. I ended up getting the PS4 and virtually every big exclusive for next to nothing...I still haven't played them, but I will eventually. It would be nice to get a second hand Wii U in particular in a few years so I can play through stuff like Bayonetta 2, Zelda U, stuff like that.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm still not seeing nearly enough to back both horses. I have my PS4, I like it a lot, there's several exclusives I'm either happy about or looking forward to. Xbox has yet more Gears and Halo, both things I like but not that much, and a vague glimmer of a hope that Alan Wake 2 might get made. The rest will all end up multiplatform eventually, I remember Bioshock and Mass Effect last gen.

I'm much more concerned about picking up a Wii U this year.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk: I'm pretty confused on this whole BC thing

Originally I, like everyone, thought holy shit when it was announced, then as he explained it during the press conference it seemed like it was just going to verify you owned the game and download a xbox one version of the game. However listening to Phil Spencer on the show last night it seemed like it would qualify as "real" backwards compatibility the way he described it working. So basically what makes it not backwards compatibility, it sounded like the real disc/game info is what is running on a virtual system, does that not count as real BC? if not what makes real BC or do you just mean it's not real BC because it supports about 5 games most people might care about not the actual tech involved?

Also I should add I'm not sold on the One based on this feature as I really don't see it as added value until 75% work (excluding games that have been re-released because that won't happen) At this point I'm not sure they will get to a point where enough games play to make it worth while

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up a Xbone so I can play Halo. I think the price was worth it. Even if I mostly will be on the PS4.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only games that might make me own an Xone are Scalebound and Gears4 everything else on it is like a side dish to me.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play on all three platforms; PC, PS4 and X1. Have for a while. All have their positives. So yes it's time for X1, has been for a while imo. Something about playing a good game on the couch lazily with a controller that should be part of the routine. I know big screen pc/steam and all, just saying it's essential and just a fun option, especially with friends, online or local.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By hassun

As always, it's a simple question:

Does the console have enough good (exclusive) games to warrant the purchase? Only you can answer that question for yourself.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yes. Sunset Overdrive. :P

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I own both a PS4 and Xbox One. My answer remains, "No, it still isn't worth it." The reason I got mine was because it was on sale for $320 and came with three games, and I was sure Microsoft would announce something at E3 to make it a good purchase. (At the time, the $350 price was temporary.)

Now that E3 is going on, there still aren't any games that I would like to buy outside of Cuphead, and I could just get that on Steam. If you weren't already interested in getting an Xbox One for the eventual Forzas, Halos, and Gears, then I say you could probably wait until next year if you already own a PS4.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting for the Halo 5 edition of the Xbox One that's supposed to be coming. I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't show it during the press conference.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all depends if you really want to play xbox games. They are still the same games they were when it launched. But the price has come down, even if you lose Kinect. I have an ok PC, xbox, and ps. Neither console gets used a ton, but I still wouldn't pass on them. I waited until bloodborne came out for PS because nothing else I wanted was out and I didn't want the warranty clock to start running until I'd at least play something on it. The xbox I've mainly played forza games, destiny, and diablo 3. I also have diablo 3 on pc but playing it on the console felt better to me. So if you have the money and you want the xbox, then it's probably worth it. Nobody has a bootleg xbox for you to buy as far as I know...

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Last generation I owned both, an xbox 360 and a PS3, played most of the games on the xbox, though.

This time around I only bought the PS4 since most of the games I wanted were out on both and most of my friends were getting PS4s as well.

The backwards compatibility announcement got me thinking about getting an xbox one for a moment, but in the end there is still not much exclusive xbox one stuff out there that I want to play and I still have my 360.

So to me it still is not a good time to pick up an xbox one.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am still on the fence regarding that machine and it's content. I'm not entirely interested in a lot of their staples like Halo and last time I tried an Xbox One controller I hated it more than I hated the DualShock 3. To be honest within the near future I think Cuphead might be the only game I am really wishing I had an Xbox One to play and that's just not nearly enough. They're on the right path, but as it looks right now Xbox One still resides in a "maybe later" box when enough must have exclusives come around.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ehbunner: Playing PS1 or PS2 on PS3 = hecka BC. Gamecube on Wii, Wii on WiiU = extremely BC.

Proving ownership, then downloading Xbox One builds of supported 360 games running in a per-game emulation on the Xbox One = 99% weird, 1% BC. I lost my senses when it was presented and though we'd insert disc/digital and go. So it really is more Bleem! like than anything now that I've gathered my senses even more.

At least it works well, seen people in the preview build show 1080p Viva Piñata etc running. Still a bit bummed. Still backlogged with games that I actually want to play on the PS4 and PS3 though!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say it still depends on whether you care about playing Tomb Raider early at this point, or really need to play another Halo. If not for that, I still don't see a reason personally.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just sold my xbone so I'd say no. Nothing at E3 made me regret that decision. Call me when Hololens comes out.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

@ehbunner: Playing PS1 or PS2 on PS3 = hecka BC. Gamecube on Wii, Wii on WiiU = extremely BC.

Proving ownership, then downloading Xbox One builds of supported 360 games running in a per-game emulation on the Xbox One = 99% weird, 1% BC. I lost my senses when it was presented and though we'd insert disc/digital and go. So it really is more Bleem! like than anything now that I've gathered my senses even more.

At least it works well, seen people in the preview build show 1080p Viva Piñata etc running. Still a bit bummed. Still backlogged with games that I actually want to play on the PS4 and PS3 though!

this is not, to my knowledge, how it works. A) You don't have to "prove" ownership. You just either have to have the disc, or the game tied to your account digitally (digital purchase.) If you have the disc you can play as long as the disc is in your drive. You don't have to 'prove ownership.' You can play rented or borrowed games. B) It isn't per game emulation, it just needs to be 'turned on' for a given game. This is a rights management issue, not an emulation issue I believe. It's not like Bleem! C) While stuff does have to download to your hard drive, that's just because XBONE isn't really designed to play things directly off the disc. Neither is PS4. These systems were both designed to play everything off the hard drive.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tempted, MCC and Halo 5 make me want to jump back on board but i'm torn between that and upgrading my pc to the new r300 series which would include a buying a new powersupply and case.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

It's never been a better time to buy an Xbox One! I'm way into mine. Rare Replay son. Gonna be magical. Also back compat.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ehbunner: tomb raider will come to other platforms

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HH

it's not just the exclusives that matter, i'm way more likely to get into something like Elite on xbox than pc, because of the convenience, and having both consoles can save you a bit on sales, if you're able to jump between the two you can pick up a lot of things for good prices, provided microsoft have more actual sales this time, and don't just reduce an inflated digital price to an average retail price and then call it a sale, like they did a lot last gen.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say it has a great library of older exclusives that are only gonna get cheaper Dead Rising 3 (favourite launch game of the gen by a mile) Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 etc....and the rest of this year looks stellar. I'm also hoping Games with Gold now offers greater value going forward as you'd like to think they offer up games that devs have said yes to running on Xbox One.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Best Buy (in my area at least) is doing a promotional where you get $175 off an Xbox One when you trade in your 360, which means it's essentially half price and it seems stupid to not buy one for that price so by tomorrow, I'll probably own an Xbox One.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hatking

I have an Xbox One and I love it. But I don't have a PS4. I'm on the opposite side trying to decide if it's time yet to get another platform. I'm thinking next year is probably the year, unless there are some great holiday bundles (that's what pushed me on the Xbox One).

TerminatorZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have a GTX 980 and a PS4 already, so 99% of any games I want to play I'm already capable of playing. I've been hit by a Halo nostalgia wave over the last couple weeks, so I really wanna play MCC, but aside from that and a couple random indie games that aren't out yet, that's basically the only thing I'm interested in playing that's XB1 exclusive, and I'm not buying a second console for just one game that's a remaster collection.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

The addition of backwards compatibility definitely helps its case with me. My Halo 3 Xbox 360 crapped out a while ago and, while I am able to play on my brother's Xbox 360, I still would like my own to play my games and get some that I haven't played yet. Add in the Fall release of Fallout 4 plus mod support, and it is looking very tempting.

I also plan on building a gaming PC this Fall as well.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm waiting for the slim redesign. PC doin' me fine and the game announcements this year did kinda nothing for me.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I went into this generation thinking I'd get a PS4 first, but instead of adopting at launch I thought I'd wait and see how things settled. I bought a Xone after last Christmas. It was the better deal at the time, but mostly I just really wanted to play Sunset Overdrive. No regrets so far. Ori and the Blind Forest is a neat game too. I might pick up a PS4 before the year ends to play Bloodborne and Uncharted.

DoggieOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm planning to buy either an Xbox One or a PS4 by the end of the year. I'm leaning on the Xbox because of its price and that I still really, really like Halo, kind of despite myself. I'm only on the fence because No Man's Sky and Firewatch have captured my imagination. I hope both of them come to the Xbox within a year of their release anyway.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I really enjoyed their press conference and think Spencer is doing a bang up job repping the company, but honestly MS has made it easier for me to not get an Xbox, which I was turning the corner on.

1) If some of their best games are going to come to PC that boat will pretty much sail for me, until five-some years for now when I can get a console and games for a huge reduction.

2) You can laugh at me for this but I've always played couch co-op Halo with my brother and 5 doesn't have that. We're not going to buy 2 consoles, so my biggest reason is out the window.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.