Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

XboxOne game cases suck.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

They literally tell you nothing on the back. Required hardrive space? Nope. Resolution? Nope. Lets compare.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Can't say I've ever paid attention, but maybe compare the same game between the two.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

i just realized i dont even have a case to look at.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The "up to 35 GB storage" message isn't highlighted but it's there. Also, the resolution output isn't informational. All games output at 1080p with a scaler. I could be wrong though and BF4 for the PS4 could totally say 900p on the back but the wording makes it seems like it's useless.

If all of that is right, the information given is equal.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It tells you how much hard drive space you need right under the features section.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6 FinalDasa  Moderator

I'd like to see the same game compared than two different ones.

I imagine the first few games aren't representative of what either case may look like after awhile.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Digital, dawg.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's perhaps less clear, but the info still appears to be there.

I assume you looked into the game before buying it, too?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I imagine the first few games aren't representative of what either case may look like after awhile.

No Caption Provided

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FinalDasa  Moderator

@monkeyking1969: Thanks! It's really interesting where they put everything. Really interesting seeing the Blu-Ray spot on the PS4 case, prominent before 3rd party contributors, and it isn't even on the Xbox One's case.

hiono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Maybe its just me but i have rarely cared what resolution the game was running at if it was close like i'm not gonna be crying about 900p so i wouldn't even be looking for it.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought you were going to talk about how the discs go on the left instead of the right, going against what every fucking other DVD case does

Disappointed

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EXTomar

There is an excellent side point: What are the details offered on the digital storefront? Do either online store show those details? That is arguably more important to know for the digital versions.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Seems like every xbox (both platforms)game I get lately from Amazon has a disk floating in the case. Not really a prob, just curious. MS launches then fixes seems to be the norm now. meh.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pretty pointless to put information on it:

• Hard drive space? Yep both say it.
    • Players? Yep, both say it.
    • Remote Play? That makes sense, but nothing equivalent on Xbox.
    • Online Play? That's already a given based on the U-play description and the Live System requirements.
    • Controller type? Pretty sure that is useless information at this point in time.
    • HD Video Output? Is that even necessary nowadays? Nothing is limited to 720P output from my understanding. It may render at 720P, but output is whatever the TV supports up to 1080.

I am not seeing the issue here.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Honestly I haven't looked at the back of a box closely in 10 years. It doesn't mean it's not important to people who don't frequent gaming sites but I just haven't noticed in forever.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa said:

No Caption Provided

So can we agree that Sony's info is more clear then Microsoft's? Why Microsoft has the required harddrive space in such a small text is beyond me. It is a very important thing.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just think it's ridiculous that half the back of the box is made up of legal crap.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Vinny_Says

@monkeyking1969 said:

@finaldasa said:

No Caption Provided

So can we agree that Sony's info is more clear then Microsoft's? Why Microsoft has the required harddrive space in such a small text is beyond me. It is a very important thing.

You sound like every old person ever. Sir, what was the world like when Pong originally came out? What did Atari game boxes smell like?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bigjeffrey

STUNNING GLORIOUS

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@acidbrandon18: In that example they're differentiating between co-op player count and multiplayer count when Sony isn't.

+1 for them there, at least?

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
    kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought to myself "oh, I've never payed much attention to the back of the Xbox One cases" forgetting that I had only purchased digital so far.

Been a long week...

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FinalDasa  Moderator

@kristov_romanov: At least you didn't get up and look for the case. I started searching for my Zoo Tycoon case one afternoon. I won't admit to how long it took me to realize why I missing it.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized I've never even seen an Xbox one or PS4 game case.

I don't plan on it, so hopefully they keep digital prices in line.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@ez123: The Xbox 360 boxes included the resolutions the game supported.

@caesius6: Some PS3 games don't show the DS3 icon because they don't use it. Instead they have the move controller and camera icon. I haven't heard if the move controllers will be supported, since they've included the light on the DS4, but they might have other options in mind.

Otherwise, I think most of the information is included on both boxes. The PS4 version is easier to look at for customers in a store. The only nit I have towards both is regarding the hard drive space. The Xbox One box says "up to 40GB" and the PS4 version says "20 GB minimum." It'd be great if both gave a minimum and maximum, unless there really is large discrepancy between their respective install sizes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

It wasn't easy but I think we just found the quintessential definition of first world problems.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outrageous

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acidbrandon18 said:

You sound like every old person ever. Sir, what was the world like when Pong originally came out? What did Atari game boxes smell like?

They smelled like boxes, but what you might not know sonny is that [ouch my rheumatism] is that sometimes you got a comic books in the box.
    http://www.atariage.com/comics/comic_thumbs.html?MagazineID=39

No Caption Provided
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By monkeyking1969
    No Caption Provided

To be honest what I find most interesting isn't the design of either it what is put on and what is left off. I don't think the Xbox One disc has a Blue Ray logo on it... I'm not sure if you can USE Blu-ray Discs without displaying the logo, that would be contractual. Does Xbox One use Dolby sound? DO they support DTS? They must do so on modern games, but where are those logos?

Can someone with an Xbox One case look on the INDSIDE? That's the trick these days the case art is double sided with information front and back. You would not think Microsoft would be petty to the point of snubbing the Blu-ray Disc Association by leaving off logos...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

No Caption Provided

To be honest what I find most interesting isn't the design of either it what is put on and what is left off. I don't think the Xbox One disc has a Blue Ray logo on it... I'm not sure if you can USE Blu-ray Discs without displaying the logo, that would be contractual. Does Xbox One use Dolby sound? DO they support DTS? They must do so on modern games, but where are those logos?

Can someone with an Xbox One case look on the INDSIDE? That's the trick these days the case art is double sided with information front and back. You would not think Microsoft would be petty to the point of snubbing the Blu-ray Disc Association by leaving off logos...

Way, way more expensive to print double sided case art though. I doubt there's anything there, but, who knows.

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Assassin's Creed is a flash game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969 said:

No Caption Provided

Way, way more expensive to print double sided case art though. I doubt there's anything there, but, who knows.

No Caption Provided

I found a pic...so I guess they do...but you can't see everything. Yet, it doesn't appear to have Blu-Ray marks or any logos in there. So again, is Microsoft screwing up?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Marcsman

Isn't the disc inside the most important part?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude said:

@monkeyking1969 said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I found a pic...so I guess they do...but you can't see everything. Yet, it doesn't appear to have Blu-Ray marks or any logos in there. So again, is Microsoft screwing up?

Yeah weird... I wonder how that works? Are there any logos that come up during boot up or game load? Definitely never seen the blu ray in front of a game (though in front of movies, yes). I might guess that you can pay a fee to not have the logos but that seems exorbitant and a waste of money. It'd be so crazy if this was a giant mistake, feel there's gotta be something else going on.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Vonocourt

Yeah weird... I wonder how that works? Are there any logos that come up during boot up or game load? Definitely never seen the blu ray in front of a game (though in front of movies, yes). I might guess that you can pay a fee to not have the logos but that seems exorbitant and a waste of money. It'd be so crazy if this was a giant mistake, feel there's gotta be something else going on.

Considering the only other console manufacturer that uses BD is Sony, who is part of the BDA, I wouldn't be surprised if it's little more than Sony having a free opportunity to flash the BD logo. Rather than Microsoft paying to not have it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude said:

Considering the only other console manufacturer that uses BD is Sony, who is part of the BDA, I wouldn't be surprised if it's little more than Sony having a free opportunity to flash the BD logo. Rather than Microsoft paying to not have it.

That's a good point. Explains Blu Ray but I think someone was saying other logos (Dolby for ex) are also missing.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Vonocourt

Going by Dolby's website, seems getting the license for the logo is separate from the license to actually use Dolby digital technology.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/licensing/logo-use-agreement.aspx

Dolby Laboratories provides a Logo Use Agreement for companies that wish to use Dolby trademarks to indicate that their recorded audio content is encoded with Dolby technologies.

Looks like Microsoft decided it wasn't that big of a deal anymore.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vuud

Well, it's not a PC game, you're supposed to just pop it in and play. I find it funny the idea of having to put system requirements on the back of a console game box.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going by Dolby's website, seems getting the license for the logo is separate from the license to actually use Dolby digital technology.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/licensing/logo-use-agreement.aspx

Dolby Laboratories provides a Logo Use Agreement for companies that wish to use Dolby trademarks to indicate that their recorded audio content is encoded with Dolby technologies.

Looks like Microsoft decided it wasn't that big of a deal anymore.

Okay, well that's interesting - so Dolby sees using their logo as something extra to be paid for. I suppose having that logo adds legitimacy to your product. But not all logos work that way, I would think, or maybe they do an I'm confused.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#41  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I remember thinking that this sort of information on the boxes was neat, the original Xbox was kinda my first main system that was 'mine' so I fell into it then, which is when this sort of thing started happening on the boxes. It was lovely to sit and start at the box and look at the features in the little graphs. I mean the idea of it comes from a specific type of purchasing habits, the era of the rental stores and buying games based on how the cover art looks. That's a silly, and downright dumb way to buy something these days so why even bother continuing to provide information that way when everyone is and should be informing themselves before they even enter a store, it's so easy to discover games online and see what they are all about.

I don't really find myself starring at boxes these days and that's mostly cause of my job, taking care of myself (physically/mentally) and the internet. Those things kinda take up all my time I'd have put towards staring at shit for an hour like I used to as a kid, sitting in my room with Morrowind running but instead just blankly staring at the game's manual from cover to cover for no other reason than boredom.Thank GOD for the internet allowing me to see 'anything' now, instead of having to survive on the junk that's withing my grasp physically, haha. I don't think anyone actually gave a shit about what was on the back of the boxes for games, or anything really. The people who read it (bored kids) are not the ones that influence it's actual value to the company to create, and I imagine the information that IS needed still (parental information) is available in other forms if not still on the box as one of the last things left on there to display, there are websites though that you can grab great info for games from and I have to imagine I'd not really be looking at boxes for my kids either, everything is downloaded now anyways and that's way more useful to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.