Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 10, 2010

An RPG developed by Monolith Soft, for Wii and New Nintendo 3DS. Two great civilizations that live on the vast bodies of slain deities have been at war for aeons, and now with the development of a dangerous superweapon, things are finally coming to a head.

Monado: Beginning of Wii RPG goodness

• 52 results
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

The Wii appears to finally be getting some RPG goodness, with announcements for Tales of Graces, Monster Hunter 3 Tri, Arc Rise Fantasia, Dragon Quest X, and now this beauty from Monolith Software and Nintendo itself. Since the other consoles havent brought much on the RPG front as of yet, will the Wii be the new PS2 as the home of RPG's?
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

First Nintendo feat, Team Ninja

Now Nintendo feat. Monolith 

They're geting all collaboration crazy, I'm loving this
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

Yeah right. I remember when we were told that the Wii was going to get hardcore just because MadWorld was coming up.

The Wii is dead, face it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r
    http://www.giantbomb.com/wii/60-36/monado-beginning-of-the-world-e3/35-245724/#1
    Fire Emblem, Rune Factory Frontier, The Crystal Bearers, Symphonia 2, the games you mention, and the mother of all of them, Dragon Quest X, should make sure the Wii is an RPG force to be reckoned with, eventually :)

There are a few roguelikes/dungeon crawls as well, Baroque, Chocobo's Dungeon, Shiren the Wanderer 3 (yay Atlus!)...

There's probably more of either type that I can't remember atm, if it's been a while since they were shown.

Not more so than the DS though ;D

I do want to see what Monolith do with this one, they've got a great track record, even if it looks more like a GameCube game at this point. It certainly looks better in motion than in stills, so that's a good thing. I wonder how it plays :>

@addicted, they own Monolith Soft, more or less. Not Monolith Productions. These are the Baten Kaitos, Xenosaga, etc dudes. For the Wii they made Disaster: Day of Crisis but now they're thankfully and finally back to their roots with an RPG.
    @snail, lol. Even if it got no more RPGs than the games named already, it's a pretty formidable collection by itself. And yet, it most certainly will.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    " Yeah right. I remember when we were told that the Wii was going to get hardcore just because MadWorld was coming up.The Wii is dead, face it. "
    Ah Snail, i almost forgot that you existed on these forums. 
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    " Yeah right. I remember when we were told that the Wii was going to get hardcore just because MadWorld was coming up.The Wii is dead, face it. "
    "
    Yes, I have been away from these decaying forums, but I think this place needs a bit more cynicism. Which means I'm staying.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    "
    Yes, I have been away from these decaying forums, but I think this place needs a bit more cynicism. Which means I'm staying. "
    Well its nice to see an old acquaintance back. I trust you'll be as anti-wii as always?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

The characters' style and proportions remind me of Vagrant Story. Some really nice locations too.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Axersia

Looking good, yes. To be honest, after Nintendo bought Monolith Soft I thought they would never develop anything interesting again (that natural disaster game doesn't really appeal to me), but they've actually been developing more RPGs than ever, and not all of them were published by Nintendo even though they're a first-party developer.

But yeah, this looks like it'd be right up my alley. Looks kind of action RPG-ish (even though I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't fully real-time because it seemed kind of slow).

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

The combat looks fairly unique, he approached an enemy and the party members naturally showed up, then it seemed like a mix of Final Fantasy fare with real time actions or movement? This should be good.

They're not exactly first party according to wikipedia. Nintendo owns stake majority but the company's still independent.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    " Yes, I have been away from these decaying forums, but I think this place needs a bit more cynicism. Which means I'm staying. "
    Well its nice to see an old acquaintance back. I trust you'll be as anti-wii as always?
    "
    Oh I am not anti-Wii, I just face the facts. I love my Wii, but truth is, it is dead. It was hard for me to face such a reality as well, but there is no point in denying it. Specially after nintendo's press conference.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    " Yes, I have been away from these decaying forums, but I think this place needs a bit more cynicism. Which means I'm staying. "
    "
    Oh I am not anti-Wii, I just face the facts. I love my Wii, but truth is, it is dead. It was hard for me to face such a reality as well, but there is no point in denying it. Specially after nintendo's press conference. "
    If you love your wii, i trust you'll take a look at this. Over 30 promising games coming to the Wii. The press conference was certainly lacking in info that gamers care about, but that's less because the Wii's future is bleak and more because Nintendo forgot (again) who they are trying to impress at these conferences. 
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Reminds me of Phantasy Star...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Girly boys, check. Giant swords, check. Gameplay looks sorta FFXII ish.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond

Wonder if it'll outsell Opoona?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Probably? But probably nowhere near as much as Tales of Graces and that nowhere near as much as Monster Hunter 3 and that nowhere near as much as Dragon Quest X? Something like that, with titles like Crystal Bearers somewhere inbetween. IP recognition, quality factors and all. I'm sure the well known franchise titles will be in line with sales on the other platforms, which aren't hot so far, and these games likely cost less.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Axersia
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " The combat looks fairly unique, he approached an enemy and the party members naturally showed up, then it seemed like a mix of Final Fantasy fare with real time actions or movement? This should be good.They're not exactly first party according to wikipedia. Nintendo owns stake majority but the company's still independent. "
    Well sure, it isn't a subsidiary, but neither is Intelligent Systems. Both are still referred to as first-party developers -- even by Wikipedia.

BTW, I really like the music in the trailer. It has a bit of a Kingdom Hearts vibe going for it (don't think it was actually composed by Yoko Shimomura, though), which isn't bad at all considering the KH series has some of my favorite music in video gaming.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

I like it all. It's not the most impressive game but everything seems fitting and consistent. It gives off a good vibe for the product. Hope for the best.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    " Oh I am not anti-Wii, I just face the facts. I love my Wii, but truth is, it is dead. It was hard for me to face such a reality as well, but there is no point in denying it. Specially after nintendo's press conference. "
    If you love your wii, i trust you'll take a look at this. Over 30 promising games coming to the Wii. The press conference was certainly lacking in info that gamers care about, but that's less because the Wii's future is bleak and more because Nintendo forgot (again) who they are trying to impress at these conferences. 
    "
    Dude, that list is pretty "eh". Out of that list I am interested in a few, and you can't possibly compare that list of 2009/2010 with 2007/2008. There were titles such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and so much more.

Now? Mario Galaxy 2?! It's the first time in years that mario has a sequel! And New super Mario Bros. Wii?! A DS port? Even the graphics look similar to the DS! Metroid Prime Trilogy? Have they lost their originality?! Remakes? Ports? Sequels? Zelda with TRAINS?!

The Wii is dead, and they are trying to revive it in the worst ways possible. They are blinded by their desire to please casual gamers.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    " Oh I am not anti-Wii, I just face the facts. I love my Wii, but truth is, it is dead. It was hard for me to face such a reality as well, but there is no point in denying it. Specially after nintendo's press conference. "
    "
    Dude, that list is pretty "eh". Out of that list I am interested in a few, and you can't possibly compare that list of 2009/2010 with 2007/2008. There were titles such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and so much more.Now? Mario Galaxy 2?! It's the first time in years that mario has a sequel! And New super Mario Bros. Wii?! A DS port? Even the graphics look similar to the DS! Metroid Prime Trilogy? Have they lost their originality?! Remakes? Ports? Sequels? Zelda with TRAINS?!The Wii is dead, and they are trying to revive it in the worst ways possible. They are blinded by their desire to please casual gamers. "
    I find it funny that the first games you pointed to are the ones i have the very least anticipation for. Well, i actually do want MP Trilogy, but Galaxy 2 and NSMBW might as well not exist as far as im concerned. 
    For me it's all about:
    The Conduit
    Another Code R
    Swords and Soldiers
    Little Kings Story
    Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
    Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
    Muramasa
    Cave Story
    Fragile
    A Boy and His Blob
    Arc Rise Fantasia
    No More Heroes: Desperate struggle
    sin and Punishment 2
    Tales of Graces
    Metroid Other M
    Dragon Quest X

You can go ahead and count yourself how many of those are "reamakes, ports, and sequels. "
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    " I find it funny that the first games you pointed to are the ones i have the very least anticipation for. Well, i actually do want MP Trilogy, but Galaxy 2 and NSMBW might as well not exist as far as im concerned. 
    For me it's all about:
    The Conduit
    Another Code R
    Swords and Soldiers
    Little Kings Story
    Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
    Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
    Muramasa
    Cave Story
    Fragile
    A Boy and His Blob
    Arc Rise Fantasia
    No More Heroes: Desperate struggle
    sin and Punishment 2
    Tales of Graces
    Metroid Other M
    Dragon Quest X

You can go ahead and count yourself how many of those are "reamakes, ports, and sequels. ""
    Did everyone ever tell you how sexy you look when you get intense?

ANYWAY!
    Out of that list I am looking forward to "No more Heroes: Desperate Struggle". Also, outside of that list, I might be looking forward to "Dead Space: Extraction".
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne

Why do you not look forward to Little King's Story, snail?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Snail
    @Meowayne said:
    " Why do you not look forward to Little King's Story, snail? "
    Because I never heard of it.

Hold that thought, be back in a second. *goes look up game*

And start using the reply button.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snail
    @Meowayne: The game looks like My Life as a King meets Pikmin,and I am not really into any of those types of games (maybe a bit into My Life as a King sort of game, but I don't find Little King's Story very appealing).
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meowayne
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said: 
    Did everyone ever tell you how sexy you look when you get intense?ANYWAY!Out of that list I am looking forward to "No more Heroes: Desperate Struggle". Also, outside of that list, I might be looking forward to "Dead Space: Extraction". "
    You should see me in tights : )
    You're interested in Extraction? why the hell would you be interested in a rails shooter spinoff of an awesome game?
    @Snail said:
    " @Meowayne: The game looks like My Life as a King meets Pikmin,and I am not really into any of those types of games (maybe a bit into My Life as a King sort of game, but I don't find Little King's Story very appealing). "
    Exactly what kind of games ARE you into? I think that pretty much every genre is covered so far.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ: I like good games. If it is well executed I will probably like it, and I have nothing against on-rails shooters.

Of course there are some types of games that I am just not into, but what I find unattractive about that list is that most of the games on that list feel like games that are pretty good but would have been a lot better if they weren't on the Wii. They are on the Wii for the single reason that it makes it seem hardcore. Well, hardcore games don't belong on the Wii, and I hate playing games that are not up to their full potential.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Linkyshinks

I think the game looks good overall, some aspects have a great deal of quality about them, but for me some aspects do look weak and very PS2 like. I am weary about where this game started development, for me it does not seem like it is a ground up Wii game, it looks like it may of had a PS2 foundation earlier.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    " @AgentJ: I like good games. If it is well executed I will probably like it, and I have nothing against on-rails shooters.Of course there are some types of games that I am just not into, but what I find unattractive about that list is that most of the games on that list feel like games that are pretty good but would have been a lot better if they weren't on the Wii. They are on the Wii for the single reason that it makes it seem hardcore. Well, hardcore games don't belong on the Wii, and I hate playing games that are not up to their full potential. "
    So you are saying Cave Story shouldn't be on the Wii because it could be better on another console? What about a boy and his blob?
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Black_Rose

Looks very "meh" except for the music. They need to work this a bit more. But coming from Monolith I expect nothing but greatness. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    " So you are saying Cave Story shouldn't be on the Wii because it could be better on another console? What about a boy and his blob? "
    Not all of them, but I would say that just about every RPG game for instance. The one you mention on this thread is a good example.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " So you are saying Cave Story shouldn't be on the Wii because it could be better on another console? What about a boy and his blob? "
    Not all of them, but I would say that just about every RPG game for instance. The one you mention on this thread is a good example. "
    I guess I either dont get it or aren't explaining myself properly. What about being on the XBOX or PS3 would improve this game? (this is why I brought up Cave Story and a Boy and his Blob.) The gameplay would probably be similiar if not the same(you realize that the majority of non-nintendo developed "hardcore" games also offer the choice of using other control schemes right?), the story would be exactly the same, the characters would be exactly the same. the only thing that would change would be the graphics, and as such must be the one hangup you have. Frankly, for me as long as current console graphical power doesn't regress, i have no problems with any such game.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    Not all of them, but I would say that just about every RPG game for instance. The one you mention on this thread is a good example. "
    I guess I either dont get it or aren't explaining myself properly. What about being on the XBOX or PS3 would improve this game? (this is why I brought up Cave Story and a Boy and his Blob.) The gameplay would probably be similiar if not the same(you realize that the majority of non-nintendo developed "hardcore" games also offer the choice of using other control schemes right?), the story would be exactly the same, the characters would be exactly the same. the only thing that would change would be the graphics, and as such must be the one hangup you have. Frankly, for me as long as current console graphical power doesn't regress, i have no problems with any such game.
    "
    The only thing in which the Wii is superior to other consoles of this gen is the "innovative controller system", so to speak. This game won't probably take advantage of that, so it would definitely be superior in other consoles.

Basically: do you think inFamous would be possible to make on the Wii? No.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    The only thing in which the Wii is superior to other consoles of this gen is the "innovative controller system", so to speak. This game won't probably take advantage of that, so it would definitely be superior in other consoles.Basically: do you think inFamous would be possible to make on the Wii? No. "
    No, and neither would Fallout 3, but no one is trying to make those games on the Wii, and games on the wii outside of graphics, can be in every way equal to a game on the 360 or PS3. Take Soul Calibur 4 for example. Sure it looks nice, but does it really do anything gameplay wise that couldn't have been done on the Wii? How about Halo? Hell, some games have been better on the Wii even if you dont factor in the controls, like(from what i've heard) The Force Unleashed. 
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    " The only thing in which the Wii is superior to other consoles of this gen is the "innovative controller system", so to speak. This game won't probably take advantage of that, so it would definitely be superior in other consoles.Basically: do you think inFamous would be possible to make on the Wii? No. "
    No, and neither would Fallout 3, but no one is trying to make those games on the Wii, and games on the wii outside of graphics, can be in every way equal to a game on the 360 or PS3. Take Soul Calibur 4 for example. Sure it looks nice, but does it really do anything gameplay wise that couldn't have been done on the Wii? How about Halo? Hell, some games have been better on the Wii even if you dont factor in the controls, like(from what i've heard) The Force Unleashed. 
    "
    The Force Unleashed sucks on the Wii.

But my point is: If these great games can only be conceived on the other consoles, then why conceive games that do not take advantage of the Wii motion sensor on the Wii? It is pointless! Get a PS3 or a 360, ro a good PC and game them where they belong!
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By PercyChuggs

Doesn't look any different than most of the 3rd rate dreck Square has pumped out in the last year and change.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    " The only thing in which the Wii is superior to other consoles of this gen is the "innovative controller system", so to speak. This game won't probably take advantage of that, so it would definitely be superior in other consoles.Basically: do you think inFamous would be possible to make on the Wii? No. "
    "
    The Force Unleashed sucks on the Wii.But my point is: If these great games can only be conceived on the other consoles, then why conceive games that do not take advantage of the Wii motion sensor on the Wii? It is pointless! Get a PS3 or a 360, ro a good PC and game them where they belong! "
    So then there was no reason to put any games on the playstation 2 last year? After all, the other two consoles were far more powerful. (to take it a step further, why put a game on the PS2 if they dont use the Eyetoy?) Seems like owning a PS2 last generation would have been pointless. (of course im just being devils advocate)
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Al3xand3r

Dude, why are you even trying to discuss with him? Just flag his posts and leave it at that, it's obvious he's just trying to derail every Wii game thread he comes across. I mean, shit, "hardcore games don't belong on the WIi" in a Wii RPG thread? Surely that qualifies as trolling for any mod around here... If he has some genuine point here, he can make a new thread that is actually about that, and not a particular game people want to discuss. See if anyone bothers replying to him then. Just leave other people's threads alone ffs. Same shit in the WSR thread. Here the Wii is not for hardcores, there it's just a casual game nobody cares about, what the shit? Get a new hobby. Go actually play some games, maybe?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By mikemcn

I am sorry, but i can't stand all these anime RPGs! TOO MUCH SPIKY HAIR!

Why can't we have a Mass Effect/KOTOR style MMO or something on the wii, thats a little more american so i can understand it. I have nothing against Japan, but i just dont understand how people there get into this style of game, they all seem so alike.

Im going to get Monster Hunter though and maybe ill start to appreciate spiky hair

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Al3xand3r

Funny that most of the characters seen here don't actually have spiky hair... The same goes for Monster Hunter, though that may be because they're almost always covered under massive armor in that game anyway, I'm not sure...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    " The Force Unleashed sucks on the Wii.But my point is: If these great games can only be conceived on the other consoles, then why conceive games that do not take advantage of the Wii motion sensor on the Wii? It is pointless! Get a PS3 or a 360, ro a good PC and game them where they belong! "
    So then there was no reason to put any games on the playstation 2 last year? After all, the other two consoles were far more powerful. (to take it a step further, why put a game on the PS2 if they dont use the Eyetoy?) Seems like owning a PS2 last generation would have been pointless. (of course im just being devils advocate)
    "
    That is wrong. The EyeToy was but a peripheral while the wiimote is the main characteristic of the Wii.

By "other two consoles" you mean the xbox and the gamecube? Please.

The xbox joined in the fight late, and it didn't have much of a difference from the PS2. And saying that is like saying there shouldn't be any games for the 360 becuase the PS3 is more powerful. And the gamecube had it's excluisves, pretty much like the Wii now. I really don't see consistency in your argument.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Snail said:
    " The Force Unleashed sucks on the Wii.But my point is: If these great games can only be conceived on the other consoles, then why conceive games that do not take advantage of the Wii motion sensor on the Wii? It is pointless! Get a PS3 or a 360, ro a good PC and game them where they belong! "
    "
    That is wrong. The EyeToy was but a peripheral while the wiimote is the main characteristic of the Wii.By "other two consoles" you mean the xbox and the gamecube? Please.The xbox joined in the fight late, and it didn't have much of a difference from the PS2. And saying that is like saying there shouldn't be any games for the 360 becuase the PS3 is more powerful. And the gamecube had it's excluisves, pretty much like the Wii now. I really don't see consistency in your argument. "
    I'm not seeing consistancy in your arguement either. If the Wii should be considered worthless due to its graphics, why shouldn't the PS2 also be considered worthless? I could frankly care less about how good a game looks as long as it's of last generations quality or better, and i'm not the only one who feels that way. As such, there's no reason why games shouldn't be made for the Wii as long as they are fun. I'll go back to the Soul Calibur 4 and halo arguement. Those games could have been done last generation. They just wouldn't have looked as good. If i can have them on the Wii, all the better. 

You know what the other benefit for developing for the wii is? Lower development costs. you dont have to have a 100 man team to make a game for the wii, which means the creators aren't forced to make a game type that has already proven itself, which leads to new ways to play and ultimately (hopefully) more fun.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    " I'm not seeing consistancy in your arguement either. If the Wii should be considered worthless due to its graphics, why shouldn't the PS2 also be considered worthless? I could frankly care less about how good a game looks as long as it's of last generations quality or better, and i'm not the only one who feels that way. As such, there's no reason why games shouldn't be made for the Wii as long as they are fun. I'll go back to the Soul Calibur 4 and halo arguement. Those games could have been done last generation. They just wouldn't have looked as good. If i can have them on the Wii, all the better. 

You know what the other benefit for developing for the wii is? Lower development costs. you dont have to have a 100 man team to make a game for the wii, which means the creators aren't forced to make a game type that has already proven itself, which leads to new ways to play and ultimately (hopefully) more fun."
    No silly! Not the graphics! The fact that it distinguishes itself from others simply because of its remote! And that works fine with exclusives such as The Legend of Zelda, or Super Mario Galaxy, and tons more, but RPG's really don't make much use of that and should be produced for other platforms, since they will only end up with a better product for sure.

And the only reason why people still make games for the PS2 is because casual gamers, or simply people that don't have money for a generation update, still play with that damned thing.

Lower development costs = lower budget = lamer game.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Snail
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Dude, why are you even trying to discuss with him? Just flag his posts and leave it at that, it's obvious he's just trying to derail every Wii game thread he comes across. I mean, shit, "hardcore games don't belong on the WIi" in a Wii RPG thread? Surely that qualifies as trolling for any mod around here... If he has some genuine point here, he can make a new thread that is actually about that, and not a particular game people want to discuss. See if anyone bothers replying to him then. Just leave other people's threads alone ffs. Same shit in the WSR thread. Here the Wii is not for hardcores, there it's just a casual game nobody cares about, what the shit? Get a new hobby. Go actually play some games, maybe? "
    He happens to be enjoying the discussion. And, no, I am not trolling, stop saying that.

Oh yes, I having gaming too much lately actually, after a long hiatus on gaming I am back on line due to inFamous.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " I'm not seeing consistancy in your arguement either. If the Wii should be considered worthless due to its graphics, why shouldn't the PS2 also be considered worthless? I could frankly care less about how good a game looks as long as it's of last generations quality or better, and i'm not the only one who feels that way. As such, there's no reason why games shouldn't be made for the Wii as long as they are fun. I'll go back to the Soul Calibur 4 and halo arguement. Those games could have been done last generation. They just wouldn't have looked as good. If i can have them on the Wii, all the better. 

You know what the other benefit for developing for the wii is? Lower development costs. you dont have to have a 100 man team to make a game for the wii, which means the creators aren't forced to make a game type that has already proven itself, which leads to new ways to play and ultimately (hopefully) more fun."
    No silly! Not the graphics! The fact that it distinguishes itself from others simply because of its remote! And that works fine with exclusives such as The Legend of Zelda, or Super Mario Galaxy, and tons more, but RPG's really don't make much use of that and should be produced for other platforms, since they will only end up with a better product for sure.And the only reason why people still make games for the PS2 is because casual gamers, or simply people that don't have money for a generation update, still play with that damned thing.Lower development costs = lower budget = lamer game. "
    If it is really only the controls you are worried about, I frankly like the Wii's classic controller alot more than the sixaxis (though i do like the 360 controller), and the gamecube controllers i already own work just fine. Monster Hunter 3 Tri is going to use it exclusively. RPGs are the genre that most belongs on the Wii since they often appear on the console that will cost the less to develop on. 

Lower Development Costs = Lamer game? Tell that to Cave Story and A Boy and His Blob and Zack and Wiki and everything from Nippon Ichi and High Voltage. good games can be made with small teams. 
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Snail
    @AgentJ said:
    " If it is really only the controls you are worried about, I frankly like the Wii's classic controller alot more than the sixaxis (though i do like the 360 controller), and the gamecube controllers i already own work just fine. Monster Hunter 3 Tri is going to use it exclusively. RPGs are the genre that most belongs on the Wii since they often appear on the console that will cost the less to develop on. 

Lower Development Costs = Lamer game? Tell that to Cave Story and A Boy and His Blob and Zack and Wiki and everything from Nippon Ichi and High Voltage. good games can be made with small teams. "
    You seem to be misunderstanding me, allow me to summarize my point.

I think the Wii is a great console, because of it's great exclusives and it's fun controls, sometimes very emmersive, but it came to a point when everybody started saying "oh, boo-hoo, the wii is dead" and "nintendo is forgetting us hardcore gamers". You had MadWorld. That was the first example of a game that could have been superb on a next gen platform, on the Wii it was just good/great. Then Disaster: Day of Crisis, which was pretty average. More followed. Then all these RPG's. I've seen so many of these threads announcing some RPG franchise I've never heard of and saying "OMG this will be great". This thread dares say "beggining of RPG goodness"? Do you think any major audience gives a crap about this game?

All these games on the Wii seem to me as an attempt to revive the Wii, but while all these games fail economically and get average reviews the casual gaming business keeps going strong. Just look at May's numbers. What happened to the great exclusives?

You know, come to think of it, most of my Wii games are from nintendo. WarioWare, Zelda, Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing, SSBB, etc. I don't think the Wii was built for serious games. I'm not trying to criticize this game, I'm criticizing your attempt to make it seem that the RPG goodness for the Wii begins now, because it doesn't. The Wii is dying, face it. This unpopular game won't revive it in any way.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Al3xand3r

A) No, those games you list wouldn't necessarily be better on other platforms, you're just speculating presenting it as fact. And the only fact here is, MadWorld was a low budget title that did some things right, some things wrong, and it was never going to sell on any platform. It's just niche. Now if you unrealistically assume they would put more effort on another system, you still can't directly compare it, you'd have to compare it to an equal effort title on the Wii. You have no point. The MadWorld team made PS2 games that sold abysmally as well. See Godhand. That didn't prove the PS2 is dead, so how does it now prove the Wii is dead? You're making absolutely no sense whatsoever.

B) What interest do third parties have to try and "revive" the Wii? Again, you're merely speculating, and with absurd reasons I might add. Square (for example) cares for profit, if that profit comes from the Wii or from the 360 doesn't matter as long as it actually comes. Why would Square or any third party make "hardcore" Wii games for the sole reason of "reviving it" if we assume you're right in that it's dead? If it's dead, it means the hardcores are on other platforms, and other platforms is where Square and the other companies can make their money on. Given this, your pure speculation is simply proven false. There are no attempts to revive a platform because nobody has an interest in doing that instead of leaving things the way they are. There are attempts to exploit its market, just like any other system. Some worthy, some unworthy. Some succesful, some not so, for reasons that go beyond "the Wii is dead" as you summarise. Still, the constant stream of "hardcore" announcements for the Wii shows there's profit to be made, overall. Companies make money, they don't beat dead horses wasting their time.

C) You say you like the Wii for its exclusives. Then you basically say it shouldn't have exclusives. Here you say it's not for hardcore games. In other threads you say it's just casual shit. So which is it? What exclusives do you actually like the Wii for? Is there something other than "hardcore" and "casual" and mixed games? You've clearly expressed a dislike for BOTH when it comes to the Wii. What was it you liked? Oh, right, you're just talking bullshift, moving the goal posts further with every new response.

D) What do the sales matter to you? The games are there, whether they sell or not. You're not the judge of it. If it's pofitable there will be a sequel or another game from the same studio. If not, there won't be. That's up to the given company to see if the risk has been worth it and if they were rewarded for it. Square for example has several WiiWare games and a few retail games in the pipeline. They deemed their first releases profitable. Who are you to tell them otherwise? Do you have their financial records and how much a given title cost and how much they made in return? Are you trying to save Square from bad business decisions or something? Apply to be a manager there, don't spew random statements in forum threads.
        If the games keep coming, what sense is it for the end user who "enjoys its exclusives" to care if they sold or not, as long as we keep getting announcements of new exclusives? Because we do keep getting announcements of new exclusives from many major and minor companies, so clearly, overall they actually do make a profit whether you want to put them down because they didn't sell as much as casual games or not. Hint: the casual market will always be larger now that it's finally been exploited.
        Again, companies make money, they don't beat dead horses. The constant stream of announcements for the Wii shows there's money to be made on it, no matter how many examples you can cite of games that didn't sell, as there's an equal share of games that didn't sell on the PS2, or even all platforms of past generations combined. Shit happens, that's all these prove. An industry reality, rather than the Wii's particular demise or anything silly like that. Which still shouldn't matter to gamers as long as games keep getting developed. And they are. So where's the problem? Nowhere.
        A final point for the sales. High profile casual games on the Wii sell far more than many hardcore titles on any platform. Look @ high profile JRPG sales on the 360 for example. Casual Wii games outsell them by far. With your reasoning, all platforms are dead in the face of the casual market. Not just the Wii. Thus, that's clearly the wrong reasoning. Companies exist to make money. They keep making "hardcore" Wii and PS3 and 360 games because, overall, there's money in doing that. Facts.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AgentJ
    @Snail said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " If it is really only the controls you are worried about, I frankly like the Wii's classic controller alot more than the sixaxis (though i do like the 360 controller), and the gamecube controllers i already own work just fine. Monster Hunter 3 Tri is going to use it exclusively. RPGs are the genre that most belongs on the Wii since they often appear on the console that will cost the less to develop on. 

Lower Development Costs = Lamer game? Tell that to Cave Story and A Boy and His Blob and Zack and Wiki and everything from Nippon Ichi and High Voltage. good games can be made with small teams. "
    You seem to be misunderstanding me, allow me to summarize my point.

I think the Wii is a great console, because of it's great exclusives and it's fun controls, sometimes very emmersive, but it came to a point when everybody started saying "oh, boo-hoo, the wii is dead" and "nintendo is forgetting us hardcore gamers". You had MadWorld. That was the first example of a game that could have been superb on a next gen platform, on the Wii it was just good/great. Then Disaster: Day of Crisis, which was pretty average. More followed. Then all these RPG's. I've seen so many of these threads announcing some RPG franchise I've never heard of and saying "OMG this will be great". This thread dares say "beggining of RPG goodness"? Do you think any major audience gives a crap about this game?

All these games on the Wii seem to me as an attempt to revive the Wii, but while all these games fail economically and get average reviews the casual gaming business keeps going strong. Just look at May's numbers. What happened to the great exclusives?You know, come to think of it, most of my Wii games are from nintendo. WarioWare, Zelda, Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing, SSBB, etc. I don't think the Wii was built for serious games. I'm not trying to criticize this game, I'm criticizing your attempt to make it seem that the RPG goodness for the Wii begins now, because it doesn't. The Wii is dying, face it. This unpopular game won't revive it in any way. "
    Okay, not the impression i'm getting is that you think that a games quality is based on how many copies it sells. I dont think that way. I'll buy and play any game that is fun, regardless of how well it sells. Where you see a game that you think would have been better on "next gen consoles" i saw a game whose badass feeling was enhanced by the motion controls (which earlier you were saying were the only reason to put a game on the wii. Care to get your story straight?) You're right, the casual crowd won't and didn't pick up Madworld in large numbers. that won't stop me from buying it though, and its a game that i couldn't buy for my 360. (BTW i assume you live in europe?)

Also, i find it funny that you talk about "no name RPGs" when the Wii is getting the next Monster Hunter, the next Tales, a Final Fantasy Spinoff, and the next Dragon Quest, which are the 3 biggest names in JRPGs. Your arguement doesnt hold up. Now that i think about it, those names are far bigger than any other that has released on any "next gen" console so far. 
    Like i said earlier, how well the games sell doesnt matter to me, and how well they review doesn't matter to me (though they may effect whether i buy them occasionally) because i buy games to have fun, not to go along with some percieved notion that i should only buy games that will sell well anyway. Again, 4 big name RPG series on the way. 

And considering that Nintendo is still making money hand over foot, i dont see how your statement about the wii dying makes any sense. 
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Meowayne

The Wii version was the best and critics agreed. You have obviously not played it, because its a prime example of the "innovative control scheme" that you demand. Force unleashed has brilliant gesture controls.

I will not comment on the rest ad I advise all of you to do the same. It looked like Snail could argue reasonably a page ago, but I seem to have been wrong.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AgentJ
    @Meowayne said:
    "
    The Wii version was the best and critics agreed. You have obviously not played it, because its a prime example of the "innovative control scheme" that you demand. Force unleashed has brilliant gesture controls.I will not comment on the rest ad I advise all of you to do the same. It looked like Snail could argue reasonably a page ago, but I seem to have been wrong. "
    We can always take the high road if he wants to keep on doing things his way. I don't mind making reasonable arguements in lieu of him making any sensical statements

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.