Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 18, 2010

Yakuza 4 is the fourth game in Sega's crime drama series, known as 'Ryu ga Gotoku' in Japan. As a first for the series, the story is split between the viewpoints of four different protagonists.

This is the best game ever!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By kingzetta

You get to run your own hostess bar. The music that play during the hostess maker is the best thing ever.
    Yes yes there is curb stomping and all that jazz but you know whats really fun? Darts, I'm ranked 10th in the world at count-up darts.
    I was also ranked Third in the world at Darts in the old Shenmue Passport days.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Are you playing? How are the controls?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kingzetta
    @Axxol said:
    " Are you playing? How are the controls? "
    Yeah I've beaten every Yakzua game there is. 
    The controls are great They have not changed in 4 games but I don't know why why would.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Game worth playing for somebody that's never played a Yakuza game before?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

I can either get Shogun 2 or this...then again my PC is kinda shitty to even run Shogun 2...

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster
    @kingzetta said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " Are you playing? How are the controls? "
    Yeah I've beaten every Yakzua game there is.  The controls are great They have not changed in 4 games but I don't know why why would. "
    I haven't played a Yakuza game before, but I'm interested in this one. 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @CL60 said:
    " Game worth playing for somebody that's never played a Yakuza game before? "
    I picked up Yakuza 3 the other day for $15...That game is pretty awesome. Kinda like Shenmue, but faster paced. 
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Axxol: The controls are really simple since the game is directed more towards brawling and style over "proper" fighting mechanics. The learning curve with the series is pretty simple so you shouldn't have any problems.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kingzetta
    @CL60 said:
    This one yes because it has the least to do with the last three. 
    You won't know who some people are right off the bat, like someone that's already played before but you'll find out.
    It's not playing Assassin's Creed brotherhood as your fist AC game.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kingzetta
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @CL60 said:
    I picked up Yakuza 3 the other day for $15...That game is pretty awesome. Kinda like Shenmue, but faster paced.  "
    It's actually made by the same people that made Shenmue just minus Yu Suzuki.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

It's so far looking to be like more Yakuza, but that's still a damn good thing.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Aegon

Is knowing everything that's happened in previous Yakuza games important? Or will I be fine with looking at a wiki? Also, do you have to do all that hostess stuff or is it optional?

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By agentboolen

I would give it a shot if it was on the Xbox 360.  I just don't know why they would favor 1 system over the other so much.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee
    @H2Oyea said:
    " Is knowing everything that's happened in previous Yakuza games important? Or will I be fine with looking at a wiki? Also, do you have to do all that hostess stuff or is it optional? "
    It comes with a pretty good ''catch up'' feature for all three games, showing most of the cutscenes with Kazuma (the series lead) narrating.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingzetta

The reason you play Yakuza games is for
    1. The crime drama story, I'll also tell you the story of all the Yakuza games are waaaay better than all of the GTA's crime stories.
    2. Hostess bars 
    3. The ton of really fun minigames
    4. Crazy Japan being crazy
    5 buying C.C. Lemon.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingzetta
    @H2Oyea said:
    " Is knowing everything that's happened in previous Yakuza games important? Or will I be fine with looking at a wiki? Also, do you have to do all that hostess stuff or is it optional? "
    It's all optional on the main menu there three very long videos that catch up on the events of the last 3 games.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @kingzetta said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @CL60 said:
    I picked up Yakuza 3 the other day for $15...That game is pretty awesome. Kinda like Shenmue, but faster paced.  "
    It's actually made by the same people that made Shenmue just minus Yu Suzuki. "
    This just resolves my belief that Sega should just take the Yakuza engine and make Shenmue III (with Yu Suzuki back, of course). 
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingzetta
    @agentboolen said:
    " I would give it a shot if it was on the Xbox 360.  I just don't know why they would favor 1 system over the other so much. "
    It's Japanese 
    The PlayStation is Japanese 
    There are way more PlayStations in Japan 
    It actually came out only in Japan a year ago.

That's why its only on the PS3
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By project343

Oh man. This sounds so tempting. Too much money-spending for this time of the year. 3DS next weekend, grr.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @CL60 said:
    It's actually made by the same people that made Shenmue just minus Yu Suzuki. "
    This just resolves my belief that Sega should just take the Yakuza engine and make Shenmue III (with Yu Suzuki back, of course).  "

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By agentboolen
    @kingzetta said:
    " @agentboolen said:
    " I would give it a shot if it was on the Xbox 360.  I just don't know why they would favor 1 system over the other so much. "
    It's Japanese  The PlayStation is Japanese  There are way more PlayStations in Japan  It actually came out only in Japan a year ago.  That's why its only on the PS3 "
    Yea I guess that kind of makes sense.  Still 3 and 4 did eventually get released in the US, I would think there might be some interest to eventually porting them over to the 360.  
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kingzetta
    @agentboolen said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @agentboolen said:
    It's Japanese  The PlayStation is Japanese  There are way more PlayStations in Japan  It actually came out only in Japan a year ago.  That's why its only on the PS3 "
    Yea I guess that kind of makes sense.  Still 3 and 4 did eventually get released in the US, I would think there might be some interest to eventually porting them over to the 360.   "
    1 and 2 also came out in the US too 

No Caption Provided
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By vidiot
    I've really enjoyed it so-far
    From a story perspective: One of my main concerns was that the new characters you get to play as, wouldn't be as interesting as Kazuma. I haven't played as the cop yet, but the first two playable characters are probably some of the most interesting videogame characters I've ever seen.

If you liked Yakuza 3, there's a very good chance you're going to like Yakuza 4. At the same-time, problems with Yakuza 3 still persist. 
    One of the problems that has begun to bother me, is actually an issue due to one of Yakuaz'a best strengths. Jumping between fantastic cutscene's, into silent text-boxes is still bothersome. It wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the fact it happens during big story exposition sequences. At the same time, it wouldn't be so jarring if the cutscenes weren't so impressive. 
    The diner shoot-out is freaking mind-blowing.

I feel like this series has naturally plateaued. Whatever shape or form Yakuza 5 will be, ( Of The End is a side-game) I get the impression it will be a radical departure from a technical standpoint.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kingzetta
    @vidiot:  Sega actually said "of the end" is not a side game.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vidiot
    @kingzetta said:

" @vidiot:  Sega actually said "of the end" is not a side game. "

Do you have a link? I can't find a statement online of anyone from Sega saying that. 

Chronologically it takes place after Yakuza 4, but everything that's been posted regarding Of The End point's to a side-game this year. The lead developer want's the Ryū ga Gotoku series to expand outside the norm. Interviews regarding the subject matter concerning Of The End have constantly pointed to Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan! as a comparison and example to where the series can go thematically: That it is not bound by not just a modern realistic setting. 

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Quite the contrary, I really like the demo. Although at the same time, there is a definite reason why there is no numeral in the title.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kingzetta
    @vidiot said:
    " @kingzetta said:

" @vidiot:  Sega actually said "of the end" is not a side game. "

Do you have a link? I can't find a statement online of anyone from Sega saying that. 

Chronologically it takes place after Yakuza 4, but everything that's been posted regarding Of The End point's to a side-game this year. The lead developer want's the Ryū ga Gotoku series to expand outside the norm. Interviews regarding the subject matter concerning Of The End have constantly pointed to Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan! as a comparison and example to where the series can go thematically: That it is not bound by not just a modern realistic setting. 

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Quite the contrary, I really like the demo. Although at the same time, there is a definite reason why there is no numeral in the title. "
    I heard it on a japanese podcast a year ago when it was announced.
    They said Sega said it's not a side game and it's their way of sending the yakuza games off with a bang.
    They also said Yakuza 6 the one after of the end will be a reboot.
    Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Berserker976

I agree, this series is criminally underplayed. The more people that know about its greatness, the better.

norton123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By norton123

I'd rather watch someone play a Yakuza game than actually play one. Insanely fascinated by the franchise. 

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Devil240Z

I have never finished a Yakuza game. But I own the first three. Probably gonna get 4. 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Milkman

It's probably  a bad idea asking this but can someone here explain to me the appeal of virtual hostess bars?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kingzetta
    @Milkman said:
    " It's probably  a bad idea asking this but can someone here explain to me the appeal of virtual hostess bars? "
    For me it's part;y nostalgia for a game called thousand arms.
    I don't know it's just fascinates me for some reason.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Bouke
    @agentboolen: maybe because its a small team only working on the Yakuza games, and they don't have the money for a 360 def kit or (more likely) the series is well known in Japan and the 360 has a tiny install base over there.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By agentboolen
    @Bouke said:
    " @agentboolen: maybe because its a small team only working on the Yakuza games, and they don't have the money for a 360 def kit or (more likely) the series is well known in Japan and the 360 has a tiny install base over there. "
    I don't care how small the team is, Sega as a publisher is HUGE.  If Sega wanted it ported they would get it ported.  The size of the developer has nothing to do with the game getting ported.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bouke
    @agentboolen: I think porting the game to 360 would cost Sega more then they would profit from it. As it is, the audience for the Yakuza games here in the west is pretty small. Sure getting the game on 360 would increase that number, but its not going the be a triple A title all of a sudden. 
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By agentboolen
    @Bouke:  Yes I know it wouldn't sell like hot cakes just because it got ported.  I'm just saying Sega would be the one in charge of getting it ported not the developer.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @Milkman said:
    " It's probably  a bad idea asking this but can someone here explain to me the appeal of virtual hostess bars? "
    I just think it acts as more of a window to the peculiarities of the culture, they are pretty unique and the game gets the little details down for the most part, just interesting to find out about them I guess. Also there is potential boning if you play your cards right, if you like that sort of thing.

That or just go to the massage parlour for your fix of not so subtle euphemism's. It might just be me, but the mini-game for that is hard! (Pun intended)
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By IBurningStar

The more I learn about these games the more I want to play them. There is something about the way it is all presented that is just mesmerizing. The cutscenes I've seen have all had a very different feel and pacing than other games. It was so reserved. Like the thinking man's GTA.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bouke
    @agentboolen: I guess Sega would be the one that would pick up the check at the end; IF this would actually happen, but it won't since Sega probably knows they're not going to make a profit from porting the game to the 360...
    StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

This game is really making me consider finally getting a PS3 for awhile now (yeah, yeah, i know).  And being someone from the other side (xbox 360),  the fact that it was a Playstation Exclusive was one of it's charms, and in turn, one of Playstation's charms.  It's reminds me of that "imported from japan" appeal that Playstation always had on me.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By McShank

I think someone is just angry that a PlayStation exclusive is well.. an exclusive and has been and will be for *least to me* forever.. But aside from that, I am really wanting to get this game but have yet to do it since I dislike starting games that are not the first of the series like when i got persona 3.. i had to get 1,2 afterwords.. Would getting 1-3 be worth it before i play 4? I saw 1 and 2 at gamestop the other day for like $10 each and 3 is crazy cheap now on craigslist.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HydraHam
    @Bouke said:
    " @agentboolen: I think porting the game to 360 would cost Sega more then they would profit from it. As it is, the audience for the Yakuza games here in the west is pretty small. Sure getting the game on 360 would increase that number, but its not going the be a triple A title all of a sudden.  "
    Yakuza is very niche in the US as stated before, sega would be fools to port it to the 360, it would be a huge waste of money.

I just wish sega would do shenmue 3 *cries* .. atleast i have this series to fill the void
    Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Hardgamer

This Topic is gonna get locked sooner or later. Just Saying, though.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By vidiot
    @Styl3s said:

" @Bouke said:

" @agentboolen: I think porting the game to 360 would cost Sega more then they would profit from it. As it is, the audience for the Yakuza games here in the west is pretty small. Sure getting the game on 360 would increase that number, but its not going the be a triple A title all of a sudden.  "
    Yakuza is very niche in the US as stated before, sega would be fools to port it to the 360, it would be a huge waste of money.I just wish sega would do shenmue 3 *cries* .. atleast i have this series to fill the void "
    Sega has no incentive to port the Yakuza series to the 360. The franchise has a small and dedicated following over here, the costs for localization for this franchise over here is quite small.
    Porting the game to the 360 would be a direct concession for western gamers. The 360 sales of the Yakuza game's in Japan, would be dwarfed by PS3 sales on a scale that's reasonable given that's their direct audience.

In only a few short years, we have gone from Sega proclaiming they will never release another Yakuza game outside of Japan, to them releasing both Yakuza 3, and now Yakuza 4 which was released in a very appropriate fashion. To guess that there is an equal, to larger fan-base, for this series on a console that the franchise has never been released on, and a market that is completely alien to the directed products audience, is a great risk.

I would love to see a 360 port in theory. I personally think there are 360-only users who would love this franchise. It's all about dollars and cents though, and right now it doesn't add-up. Porting games is not as easy as flipping a switch, especially for games built on the ground-up only for PS3 hardware.

Just remember: We still don't have an MGS4 360 port. If Kojima, and his global audience and oodles of money couldn't pull it off (and they had the means and ability to) then I can't logically see a project like this accomplishing it.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @MooseyMcMan said:

" @CL60 said:

I've been thinking more and more about doing the same, but the cheapest I've seen so far is 39.99.
    Seeing as I'm not a huge fan of most slower paced games I'm not ready to take the risk yet.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By jakob187

So wait...
    You are saying that Yakuza 4 is the best game ever?

So Yakuza 4 is actually just a remake of Vagrant Story?

pabsi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By pabsi9
    @kingzetta yo dawg, never played yakuza 3 but always wanted too..should I play y3 or just go head worth y4? Saw the quick look and looks fun
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bouke

Well if it is the best game ever, its a good thing that my copy is on the way...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.