Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 16, 2012

The Nonary Game continues in this sequel to Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors under the localized title of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

Aksys announces Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No Caption Provided

EPIDEMIC ALERT: Japanese Adventure Game Strain Identified in North America

Thousands expected to succumb by year’s end

Regional Office of the International Disease Organization, Washington D.C. – February 28, 2012 – IDO agents working in California report that preliminary findings indicate the exceedingly dangerous Japanese adventure game known as “Zennin Shiboudesu” has somehow crossed the Pacific. Attempts were made to contain it, but some carriers seem to have escaped the quarantine and are now at large.
    This game is extremely virulent and can be transmitted through physical contact (via the dual “Nintendo 3DS™” and “PlayStation®Vita” retail vectors) as well as through the air (via the “PSN” vector), which has prompted the IDO to declare this a level 6 pandemic. All uninfected persons are advised to remain indoors and avoid contact with others. If you suspect you have been infected, or suspect a friend or family member of being infected, report, or have them report, to the nearest IDO quarantine facility.
    Similarity to an earlier strain known as “Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors” has lead to a reclassification: Both strains will now be considered members of the “Zero Escape” game series.Exposure to North America also seems to have caused Zennin Shiboudesu to mutate, and after much deliberation it has been determined that it will be referred to in all future literature as “Virtue’s Last Reward” (see forthcoming department memo re: choice of strain name).
    Virtue’s Last Reward—or, alternatively, “VLR”—has been known to exhibit the following symptoms. If you begin to display any of these, distance yourself from friends and loved ones immediately, and proceed at once to the nearest IDO center.
    • Dual Language Support
    • – Early cases show that VLR allows communication in both English and Japanese, with dialog playable in both languages. Whether or not this indicates damage to the languages centers of the brain is under investigation.
    • Puzzles and Story
    • – Preliminary investigations show that this game progresses rapidly through a repeating cycle of two distinct stages, which have been termed the “Novel” and “Escape” stages. During the Novel stage, subjects find themselves engaged by a complex and mysterious story. During the Escape stage, subjects have been observed solving numerous puzzles.
    • Fully-Voiced Novel Sections
    • – One of the indicators of the Novel stage is reportedly fully-voiced dialog: All characters except for the protagonist can be heard speaking during this stage.
    • Numerous Endings
    • – VLR has been shown to exhibit numerous paths of infection, most of which are lethal. At press time, 24 different “endings” have been observed, each unique.
    • Immersive Three-Dimensional Environment
    • – Many infected patients have reported a feeling of increased immersion in their surroundings, often manifested in the ability to rotate the camera around a 3D room rendered in-game and select and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space.
    • Introduces New Characters, Brings Back Old Ones
    • – Our files on 999 indicate that a number of the characters featured there appear again in VLR, although in what capacity is still unclear. This strain also introduces several new characters, all of whom merit additional investigation.

Source

The PR flavor text mentions:

• Zennin Shibou Desu = Zero Escape
    • Release for the 3DS and Vita (also via PSN)
    • 999 is considered part of the "Zero Escape" franchise now
    • The name will be explained in the future

The fact that the game's coming to NA is cool and all, but does anyone think that the name they went with is better than the succinct and beautiful "Good People Die"? Man, I love it. "Virtue's last reward"? Not so much.

Anyways, I'll be getting this as soon as it comes out, which is this fall.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

Good People Die sounds interesting.

Virtue's Last Reward does not.

Man, I should get around to playing 999 one of these days.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Regardless of the title I plan on picking this up day one. I loved 999's story and the puzzles weren't bad either.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

999 was one of my favorite games on the DS 

I'll have to get a 3ds or a vita for this but I'm ok with that.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

I haven't played 999 yet but I really should get around to it when my sister comes back with her DS (which is in like two years). Anyway, this sounds pretty interesting if it's in the same vein as 999. Hopefully Europe is getting a release.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Awesome. Dual language support makes me even happier.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlightConfuse

Day 1 for me 999 was great

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pekoe212

Sooo excited. The name is kind of boring, but a little better than the usual theme of "Killing Death Explosions: FINAL VENGEANCE" that many localized titles are altered to. At least Zero Escape makes sense. It's damn hard to escape.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @pekoe212: Yeah, but Zero Escape is simply the name of the series now. The sequel to Virtue's Last Reward will most definitely have "Zero Escape" in the title.
    Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Cathryn

Will totally be getting this, though likely not day 1 as I'll need to get either a Vita or 3DS before I can play it. I wonder which platform I'll get first :/

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donchipotle

So will this be the Remember11 to 999's Ever17?

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Pepsiman

I'm glad we finally have a localized title we can use to refer to the game other than Siliconera's super straightforward one. As a speaker of both Japanese and English, I feel that "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" does a pretty good job of ambiguously conveying the sort of darker nuances that "Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV: Zennin Shibou Desu" has in its native language. At the very least, I think "Virtue's Last Reward" is ultimately the more marketable subtitle than "Good People Die," even if the latter does admittedly have its own charms even in English.

I'll probably nab a copy of this game at launch just to avoid having to potentially put up with a shortage later on, even if I probably won't have a 3DS nor a Vita by then.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Jaktajj

@Cloudenvy said:

Good People Die sounds interesting.

Virtue's Last Reward does not.

Man, I should get around to playing 999 one of these days.

I'd recommend dropping anything your playing now and start 999 asap. It's FREAKIN' AMAZING!

Also, GOD I hope this gets a European release. Region locked 3DS/Vita's =(

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By awadnin

Can I play this directly or I should play 999 before?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@awadnin: You should probably play 999 before given that this is a direct sequel to it. These games are visual novels so they rely pretty heavily on the story.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Bocam

@awadnin: @FluxWaveZ: Actually I'd recommend playing this before 999 as some parts will just piss you off if you do it the other way around.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By awadnin

@FluxWaveZ: thanks, I just ordered it from Amazon :)

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By awadnin

@Bocam: I just canceled the ordered lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.