Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XVI

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 22, 2023

Taking place in the war-torn world of Valisthea, Final Fantasy XVI is the first mainline title in the series to fully embrace real-time combat.

FFXVI producer says PC gamers should "buy a PS5"

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

“Nobody said a word about a PC version releasing,” Yoshi-P said. “Why is it like a PC version is releasing six months later? Don’t worry about that, buy a PS5! Sorry, I went overboard. We did our best so please look forward to it.”

Interesting to hear someone from Square laugh off the idea of a PC port of this game - it seems like everything that Square has been doing has been heading to PC after a year or so, for better or worse (that FF7R port was functional but extremely bare-bones). I assume that the same will play out here, but possibly Yoshi can't actually confirm that until the exclusivity window is over. Also possibly this is very tongue in cheek and being taken literally!

I really wish Square would spend more time on their PC ports, though. I didn't see any crazy complaints about the Crisis Core remake, but FFVIIR was notably bad for such a huge game. Sounds like they're gonna have time for the XVI port since it doesn't sound like it'll happen anytime soon.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GTxForza

For myself, I'm personally not looking forward to this either on consoles or PC, because it looks way too violent to me plus I'm not a massive fan of RPGs. Hmm... I guess why the PS5 version is prioritised to be released before other platforms because Sony Interactive Entertainment paid Square Enix for this.

Overall, when we play games we don't care if they're exclusive to only one platform or not, we choose based on what genres and sub-genres we can enjoy.

Edit: Cyberpunk 2077 and Fire Emblem are the only two RPGs that I would like to play.

Pardalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I might be wrong but it doesnt seem in Square best interest to keep their flagship series in one console.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Broshmosh

I'm not surprised by this. Square Enix have historically been really anti-PC for a number of reasons, and largely it's considered to have a smaller install base in Japan than PS5 and even XBX/S. I am a touch incensed that this would be the producer's recommendation, considering the continued scarcity of current-gen consoles, not to mention their price.

I'd rather buy a Steam Deck than a big console in order to play recent titles, and it isn't really surprising to me that SE haven't specified they'll be pushing for a Steam version. Willing to bet it'll be Epic exclusive for 6 months again, too.

EDIT: Also Kotaku's suggestion that FF16 will take advantage of the PS5's SSD to prevent loading is, whilst understandable, pretty lofty. I'd definitely be surprised if FF16 doesn't employ tight crevices or enforce walking sections, no matter how fast the SSD is. If those sorts of things are in the game, it will outright confirm that it's coming out on other systems; either that, or outright confirm SE don't know how to optimise a game for current hardware.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can confirm about their recent efforts being all over the place. Crisis core seemed to run absolutely fine. Wasn't a stutter shit show like 7r could be, but it is a fairly "ok" looking game. A lot better than it's psp roots but it's not really a modern looking big budget game either, cause it isn't.

7r was pretty bad for me for awhile. I screwed around with a couple hours of it here and there last summer until finally a month later I had spent enough time, doing .ini edits and a couple of tiny performance related mods to FINALLY get the framerate almost completely stable. Once I got it there, the game ran pretty good, but why am I spending my time on something I paid roughly 50 bucks for they can't be bothered with to fix themselves?

Then you get into weird old releases with bad fonts or touch screen interfaces making their way to PC ui. As far as I know octopath traveler came over just fine with better overall effects and everything else perfectly stable. I played some on switch and just barely touched my pc copy...Not really interested in strategy games so didn't keep tabs on like, diofield, triangle strategy and tactics ogre on pc. Valkyrie Elysium seems fine? As does Star ocean? Technically speaking.

World of Final fantasy is locked to 30 fps. Digital Foundry just did two videos on all of the FFXIII games detailing wins and misses there too. Overall, they just don't seem to care and so we're fighting over scraps.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean it's fair enough really, they have no evidence of a Final Fantasy game doing absolute gangbusters on PC...

AshuSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They have an exclusivity agreement with Sony. Does anyone honestly think they are going to say anything that could be seen as disparaging that? Of course the stance would be “Buy a PS5 for this game.”.

dooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dooz

I stopped buying consoles after losing two 360s to hardware failures and I will not ever go back. Having a mid-range PC is so much more useful to me than a console with the newest graphics. I don't mind waiting years for PC ports, and Square Enix usually ports things after their exclusivity expires.

Unfortunately, SE's digital sales are not great, and I still have games from 2016 in my wishlist that never dip below $30. Also, SE's FF series has not been very good, with 15 being a bit better after a long dry spell of boring schlock. Oh well. There are a billion other games that I can play in the mean time.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@dooz said:

I stopped buying consoles after losing two 360s to hardware failures and I will not ever go back. Having a mid-range PC is so much more useful to me than a console with the newest graphics. I don't mind waiting years for PC ports, and Square Enix usually ports things after their exclusivity expires.

Unfortunately, SE's digital sales are not great, and I still have games from 2016 in my wishlist that never dip below $30. Also, SE's FF series has not been very good, with 15 being a bit better after a long dry spell of boring schlock. Oh well. There are a billion other games that I can play in the mean time.

FFXV was such an odd entry into the series. It almost felt like two games in that you have a big open-world but then suddenly you go on rails for the last half of the game and never really return to the open world. I know it was in development hell forever; hopefully 16 feels more coherent.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I think it's funny he said this, consider that most flagship FF games ended up on the PC years later, and I have no doubt FFXVI will be the same.

Pardalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im going to guess he is just tired and is thinking "dude dont ask me about another platforms im just trying to finish this game"

constantk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turns out the secret to getting PC players to buy consoles is saying "Buy a console!" over and over at them.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Maybe they should make a good (non-MMO) Final Fantasy again and people will.

Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be sorta surprised if it didn't come to PC. I guess it's more like: why mess with the marketing right now?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.