PS5's controller effects have been shown in astro. Do you still hate buying ps5 controllers instead of using old ps4

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll PS5's controller effects have been shown in astro. Do you still hate buying ps5 controllers instead of using old ps4 (191 votes)

yes 13%
no 51%
I shouldnt be forced to by new stuff for generic rumble. PS5 should use PS4 controllers 23%
I dont care at all. Seems dumb 13%
N/A 7%

Just saw the positive take every outlet has on PS5 controllers now that they have them in hand. The original hot takes were really dismissive and more interested in the load times which i get are easier to showcase. That said now that people are into it...would you care for it in all games even if it means no ps4 controllers patched in or something. Do you care that PS4 controllers cant be used on PS5 games. Is it all moot since backwards compatibility will make funding in-depth control schemes of little interest? especially since most were down on it which dissuaded devs.

• 
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The option would be nice. Not great having to buy an extra controller for the rare couch coop game.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate: true. Cant say buying controllers for the limited couch coop games that come out will be fun. Cant decide on this one just yet

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

It's cool that the features are well-liked. There is still nothing shown that fundamentally changes the way you're interacting with games. A PS4 controller should still be able to be used.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just annoying since the features don't actually correspond to new inputs. As of now I have to buy three 70 USD controllers to play a casual 4player couch co-op game that wouldn't gain anything from the new triggers and rumble.

Zuljin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited that they are excited - we were coming into this so flat. It's nice there is something genuinely exciting and new.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I read it wrong. There is no reason to be mad about using the new controller. I never cared about using my old controllers on new hardware and co op couch games aren't a thing to ever worry about.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By FacelessVixen

As a PC person, I'm more concerned about whether it'll work with my Steam library.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Onemanarmyy

The only time i was angry about controller compatibility was when my sister bought a party game for the Wii U and then realized that the game didn't want one of the players to use the gamepad while the others have Wii motes. Eventhough the Gamepad has the same A and B buttons.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It would be nice to have the option to use the PS4 controllers, but it's not a make or break thing to me.

The rumble and triggers seem cool, but it's likely that very few games outside of the flagship first-party titles will make use of them. Even in those cases, the new features likely would be an enhancement to the experience rather than being essential.

AshuSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AshuSP

Hate is a stretch and the new controller sounds awesome but I’m always on the side for options. I think PS4 controllers should still be allowed to be supported by individual developers at least.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look, the new controller looks great, and I can’t wait to use it. But I’m just of the opinion that input devices on consoles needs to be more flexible, like with the PC or Switch. Sure, some games might not work with the old stuff, but at least the option is there. I hate buying new unnecessary plastic just to have a backup controller or something for game nights with friends (whenever that comes back). It’s simply a more ecologically sustainable feature to have that has pretty much zero drawbacks.

And before anyone inevitably brings up the free market excuse about how they won’t make money from doing this, the free market also dictates that firms should compete with their peers for features. So if Nintendo and PCs do it, as a customer I think so should Sony.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Never did hate it, but it's really nice to see that people are fairly glowing about it.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the new PS5 controllers are so amazing then that should be enough to make us buy the new PS5 controllers (because they're so awesome) rather than forcing us to abandon controllers that would work perfectly fine with over 90% of games.

It's great that they added a bunch of new features that appear to be cool. I'm all for it. But we know that PS4 controllers would work fine for the vast majority of situations, especially, as people have noted, for multiplayer.

Also they force you to use a bunch of PS4 accessories including controllers for using PSVR on PS5 and PS4 controllers will work for PS4 backwards compatibility games so the code is already in the system.

Finally, I will say that while people are all gung ho about how haptic feedback will at least be used well in most first party PS5 games...I have my doubts. Astro Bot was specifically designed to use all the features and this reminds me of how every console launch has games designed to use all the console's features and then over time a lot of those features are used less and less. Resogun did stuff with the PS4 controller's light bar and the speaker in the controller, and I honestly can't remember the last time that a game did anything memorable with either.

I'm glad the PS5 controller seems good and I'm not like terribly angry, but the fact that they made one game that uses the new features well doesn't change anything.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once I feel it, it might change my life. It definitely presents something genuinely new in controller tech but it hinges on developers using it.

The problem with the lightbar is that you were rarely looking at it. I've had games where the colour corresponds with your health or the revs your engine is doing but your eyes are always focused on the screen. You don't notice it. The speaker stuff is more prominent. Any noise coming out of the PS4 pad freaks me out. It grabs your attention, unlike the lightbar stuff. You will feel haptic feedback regardless.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The new haptics do sound really nice, but it would be nice to have the option to use a Dualshock 4 in certain games. Especially multi-platform games will probably not lean too much into the DS5 features, so it would be easier to set up local multiplayer games for Overcooked and stuff using old DS4 controllers.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

Do the new features sound cool? Sure. Do they sound revolutionary (especially sufficiently so as to warrant requirement of DualSense for any PS5 game)? Not really. The problem remains that any notable third-party game will likely not make meaningful use of the haptics and/or trigger tension adjustments because those aren't available on the other platforms the games will be released on. I'm sure they'll occasionally get used, but they won't be truly gameplay relevant features like they seem to be in Astro Bot which appears to be a tech demo explicitly designed to showcase those features.

Don't forget that there was significant praise from press--including at Giant Bomb--about the "HD Rumble" haptics in the Joycon when that was first presented in 1-2-Switch, with people saying things like it really feeling like ball bearings rolling around in the game where the goal was to count the balls in a box based on feel. Other than Mario Odyssey, I can't think of another game that made use of "HD Rumble" in any capacity, and that wasn't gameplay relevant. It was cool to feel the motor vibration from the scooter, but it didn't make the game any better. Even Nintendo seems to have abandoned it at this point.

I suspect that it will go the way of the touch pad, the light bar, "HD Rumble", motion controls, etc., in that it will get used to cool effect once in a great while, but otherwise will be largely abandoned as yet another gimmick. I hope I'm wrong, and it becomes a staple of gameplay design that pushes controllers forward, since we haven't really had a meaningful advancement since the inclusion of the second analog stick. If, and that's a big if, they release PC drivers that allow for use of the features on PC releases of third-party games, that will be a big factor in it becoming more readily used. Here's hoping.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't care at all. I can see why people would want to use their old controllers for local MP games, and the new features don't appear to fundamentally change the way you play, but at the same time new controllers for new consoles isn't that crazy of a concept. Not a huge fan of the price I guess.

I mean, I probably won't be getting a PS5 since I don't see the point in having both consoles and I am pretty entrenched in the Xbox ecosystem at this point. Still, It's cool to see them try to innovate, and I hope those features are used in more than just first party games. I doubt PC support happens but you never know.

JetForceGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Options are always nice.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I only need one controller and the console comes with one, so the inability to use DS4s was not something I ever cared about in the slightest.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

The last time couch co-op was relevant to my life, other than a brief fling with trying to play Overcooked! with a girlfriend who loved cooking but hadn't played video games since Mario only had 8 bits in his pocket, was when Street Fighter IV released on Playstation Plus, which must've been nearly a decade ago at this point. There was also a good amount of Nidhogg played in that time.

The only reason I've really had to own a second controller was to swap between the two while the other charged, but even that has become less relevant for me in my current apartment as I was gifted a second desk that I decided to plop right in front of my TV since I already play Jeff-style, 3-feet or less away. Now the controller constantly being on a charge line isn't a burden as there's plenty of slack and I really just use the one.

In short, my lifestyle hasn't been improved with a second controller in a while now and hasn't required a second or even third in significantly longer. I also stubbornly just got used to the peeled rubber on my left sticks on both controllers (it's not that bad, guys!) rather than replace them so honestly I'm eager to get back to grippin' a stick with some give to it!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't used controller vibration for about 14 years, i just kinda got tired of my hands being vibrated, i turned it back on to try out the triggers on an Xbox One controller which was silly then turned it off again.
As a PC user the haptics most likely won't work with anything on PC, so i'm not willing to pay for them, i also don't like the Playstation D-Pad.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I primarily play single player games and since you get the controller when you buy the console, it really doesn't matter and I'd rather not take the small risk that developers will be afraid to use the new features on the controller. I'll probably buy another controller if there is ever a Pro version of it, or when they do a version with better colors. I suspect it's only households that play 4-player games locally where the lack of PS4 controller supports hurts, and that's a very niche case.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Anything that makes Jeff excited and or happy, especially now, is the best endorsement you can get.

I can't wait.

insomniak08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it is pretty cool sounding. I will have to wait until I get my hands on it myself to make up my mind of course but first impressions are intriguing. Unfortunately I think most developers probably will not take too much advantage of it and in the end I would just prefer to be able to use my PS4 controllers.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When third party developers use it then I'll be excited. It all sounds great, and it all sounds like stuff that won't be used because no non-Sony developer is doing to justify spending resources to do fancy stuff on one controller for one platform. It's why the PS4 controller ended up with a big map button, because absolutely nobody wanted to use that thing as a touch pad. The one big example everyone uses was Witcher 3 - which is nearly as old as the console.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The triggers and haptics can be turned off: https://twitter.com/__caprica/status/1321947831943499776?s=20

Great for accessibility, terrible for their "ps5 games require new controllers" angle.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ToughShed

I think the controller looks pretty good and I'm sure when programmed for it has some cool features but you just know that's not going to carry across the board.

I found the amount of hype around it for a bit and in that video to be a little bit of a result of not much new to be excited about lol.

I need a new PC controller soon so I am keeping an eye out on both controllers and how they work there.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I guess I have to try it before I can be convinced, but honestly, based on the handful of videos I've seen, I can see the adaptive triggers getting annoying real fast.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

I think Nintendo generally does the best job with this. They don’t force you to use Joycons on games that don’t need them. It’s not all that hard to list supported controllers on the box. I understand not wanting to limit your design to support old hardware, but surely at least for PS4 games they could have supported PS4 controllers.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Just my opinion but everyone who complains about having to buy a new set of controllers has my pity. Because we ALL will have to buy new controllers because the damn things wear out.

Either our controllers wear out, or we are not playing with them - period. Last tiem I looked they are not made of adamantium. And, if we aren't playing with them then they don't wear out, so ipso facto (i.e. by that very fact or act) they are worthless. Want to use them use them for your PS4....you have one of those right? Young not a masochist who buys controllers without owning a console, right?

No Caption Provided

Purchase whatever console you want. Use whatever criterial you want for why. But, let's stop whinging about Dual Sense existing or PS5 games using its abilities.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My 8yr old just can't use the standard sized ps4 controller, and the ps5 controller looks a little bigger. So I wish we could continue to use the same mini controller from HORI and call it a day. Hopefully they'll either just allow this mini controller or make a new one soon.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Doesn’t bother me at all. It’s a new console. It’s completely expected that you would need new controllers to play a new console. What new console has (ever) allowed you to use old console controllers?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ry_Ry

@nevergameover:

• Wii (gamecube controllers)
  • Wii U (wii motes, and gamecube controllers with adapter)
  • Switch (gamecube controllers with adapter)
  • PS1 dual shock controllers work on PS2 (unless game uses pressure sensitive face buttons e.g. MGS 2)
  • Xbox1 controllers work on Xbox Series

I also seem to remember using my Atari 2600 controllers on the 5200 but I may be misremembering there.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tp0p

Ign is reporting that you can turn off the haptics and the adaptive triggers through accessability options. So, now games can work with a ps4 controller is sony wanted? Eh whatever haha.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By navster15

@ry_ry: The Switch is even more modular than that. In docked mode it can accept just about any modern USB controller (Dual Shock 4, Xbox One, Dual Shock 3, etc), and can even connect wirelessly thanks to the 8bitdo USB-to-Bluetooth adapter. It even takes into account the Dual Shock motion controls! Nintendo is light years ahead of Sony and Microsoft when looking at inputs.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@navster15: very true! I had forgotten about the 8-bitdo adapter even though I have one plugged in!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@raven10 said:

I understand not wanting to limit your design to support old hardware, but surely at least for PS4 games they could have supported PS4 controllers.

DualShock 4 totally works with PS4 games on PS5, just not PS5 games.

I just wish that since all 3rd party games are going to be on other platforms, meaning they are not programing DualSense specific controls into there games, Sony should give the option to developers if they allow the DualShock 4 to work on there games or not. The only input that the Dualshock does not have is the mic. But even then you can still plug a mic into it, and it looks like since the mic can be turned off anyway that games are programed to work without it.

Im still in the camp of unless there is a technical reason like better Sixaxis or something like that, then the more options the better.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: Well that just makes this even more silly because it means they not only have the hardware capability to make use of PS4 controllers they also have the software. So they are literally turning off support intentionally despite the console having support from day one.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ry_ry: All Atari systems, both console and computer, up to the Jaguar used Atari’s universal controller port spec. This spec was also used by Sega on the Master System and Genesis, Commodore on the C64, and VIC on the V20, among others. While not all systems supported the same number of button inputs, and buttons might behave oddly in certain situations, by and large any controller for one could be used on the other. Some later systems had additional power requirements which meant that, for example, you couldn’t use a Genesis controller on the 2600 without an adapter. For the 5200 most players use a Genesis controller or one of Atari’s trackball controllers because the 5200 controller was shit.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dsjwetrwete

I have an xbox one controller that I use on PC and the ONLY game I've played that had trigger rumble was The Avengers. It was so strange and new that I thought something was broken.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's such an anti-consumer move, basically giving customers the middle finger for the heck of it. Like already posted in this thread you can disable the haptics and the microphone on system level, so the only reason they're you can't use the PS4 controllers is that they want you to buy new controllers.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's one of those things you have to use? Everyone who has used it raves about it, but I just have a hard time getting excited about a controller. I remember everyone was saying how cool the PS4 controller features were too and how having a touchpad was going to be a game changer. Turns out it ended up being a glorified menu button.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's a new console, I want a new controller!

FreshlySquozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: It was a really good menu button though.

I'm not too bothered by this because I have no need to buy another controller for somebody else. I know that's not the case for everybody though.