Your early thoughts on the year 2023's video games in general?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Dear gamers in the Giant Bomb forums

We're currently in Q4 2022, and I heard there are several big games scheduled to release by 2023 such as Starfield, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, etc.

So here is short my personal thoughts:

It's going to be a very good year as I can tell the developers have been working so hard for their respective games while their publishers are preparing to release them.

My expectations:

The decades and half decade anniversaries that I love to celebrate:

Sidenote:

Gran Turismo & Forza Motorsport are both like brothers in my personal opinion.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I am, as Grubb has said in the past, ready for Todd to hurt me again with Starfield. Also very much looking forward to Resident Evil 4 Remake after reading the Gamespot writeup. There’s no confirmed date on it, but I greatly enjoyed the demo of Terra Nil, and Steam now lists its release date as “2023”.

Finally, mostly for the sake of my 3 year old, I really hope Little Kitty Big City comes out in 2023. She’s absolutely obsessed with the trailer, which makes it look like Untitled Goose Game, but a cat.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only really looking forward to the System Shock remake, i never played the original and it's looking like a great remake so far, the demo played really well. I haven't played the sequel either and there's a remastered version of that to look forward to also.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2023 is a stacked year. Hope it delivers. At the very least, it'll be the year of gamepass as a lot of (pressumibly) heavy hitters coming out will be available on it day one.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By brian_

There's not much in terms of "big releases" that I recall being interested in for 2023. I'm curious in seeing how Final Fantasy XVI ends up. I'm morbidly curious in what the hell a Lollipop Chainsaw remake looks like in 2023. Can't think of much else outside of that, so here's a bunch of stuff I've got wishlisted on Steam.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Efesell  Online

I'm bad about keeping track of when things are coming out but I know there's a new Trails game next summer so I'm excited to only be 2 games behind in that series.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By FacelessVixen

I'm more concerned about the GPU artifacting that shows up in games that hit a certain VRAM threshold on my 2080 Ti, so newer games can wait until I can set aside enough cash for a suitable replacement.

That aside, Anger Foot and Wild Hearts.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@efesell said:

I'm bad about keeping track of when things are coming out but I know there's a new Trails game next summer so I'm excited to only be 2 games behind in that series.

It's frustrating that the western releases of that series have fallen so far behind. It looked for a bit there, when Cold Steel III and IV came out in back-to-back years, that NIS America may be able to keep a decent pace and remain just one game behind. Reverie releasing in the west close to 3 years after its original release has been a disappointing turn of events. It's almost back to being as far behind as the Xseed days.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Efesell  Online

@ll_exile_ll: NIS also recently pulled a real dick move which was to shut down a group of people who were making translations via spreadsheet that you could overlay onto the game and play the Japanese release.

The biggest cause for the eternal delay is Falcom though. They won't let localization start on a given game until it has released in Japan and then they're already who knows how far into their next game.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to Starfield but the gameplay trailer was a little underwhelming in terms of the animation and the combat. Fingers crossed that it will be great.

Hoping BOTW2 will live up to the legacy of the first one.

Silksong is looking wonderful.

I want Pikmin 4 injected into my veins right now.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Hoping Starfield and Dead Island 2 are good. After everything got delayed this year I am not counting on anything launching until it's out, but it looks like a good year on paper.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

2022 is probably the weakest year for games since I've been alive (1987) so I expect 2023 to be a bit better. Still possible we get new Switch which would be exciting. Phantom Fury is my most anticipated game for 2023 but probably delayed.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2022 is probably the weakest year for games since I've been alive (1987) so I expect 2023 to be a bit better. Still possible we get new Switch which would be exciting. Phantom Fury is my most anticipated game for 2023 but probably delayed.

That's certainly true for major releases. Outside of Elden Ring, most of the big name stuff has been fairly disappointing. The AAA space desperately needs Ragnarok to be good to redeem it a little bit.

That said, there's been some good smaller or indie stuff to come out. Rogue Legacy 2 is my sneaky GOTY contender, and Cult of the Lamb was really good.