Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host this week as we draw ever so close to the holidays! Even scarier is the looming specter of Giant Bomb's onslaught of Game of the Year content. Luckily for all involved, the staff recently wrapped up their last GOTY podcast roundtable. Only time will tell which games came out on top! In case you were wondering, next week will mark the first time I provide a dedicated section for user-created Game of the Year lists and blogs. With that out of the way, we just have a few reminders this week about the site worth reviewing.
- CBSi is still looking for a UI/UX Designer! Use the link to apply for a design position at the SF CBS office!
- Did you want to know the interesting details of why Giant Bomb Infinite went down a few weeks ago? WELL HERE YOU GO!
Tweets Of The Week
Taking some extra time to adjust this one based on the feedback received before finishing the Beast one but will be here soon! @GB_Nonsense @unastrike @VinnyCaravella @_janjerome @ybbaaabby @danauer pic.twitter.com/xwGAxzvkH7— Vaunker (@Vaunker) December 8, 2018
Many thanks to Rorie for creating a community discord for everything related to Path of Exile! Even if you missed the Co-Op Community Corner, give it a shot if you need help getting out of a bind in the game.
Speaking of Path of Exile, our unofficial community has updated itself in response to the game's slew of improvements and expansions! Check it out if you still have not joined the fun!
Best Of Blogs
LentFilms uses their exhaustive blog on the history of Japanese visual novels to justify why they think Ace Attorney is NOT a Visual Novel. Give it a read and be amazed by their research.
The title really says it all! Hamst3r created an iOS shortcut that allows you to use Siri to know what the latest videos by Giant Bomb may be. Download the shortcut, and share any improvements you can think of.
MajorMitch is back with a new edition of their "Gaming Memories" blog series! This episode is all about Elite Beat Agents! Join them in reminiscing about portable rhythm game.
JeremyF is back to blogging and uses the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a segue to discuss why they think the Smash Bros. franchise has criminally underrated and underappreciated music!
This week moderator Gamer_152 introspectively wrote about family and compromise in Kent Hudson's 2013 wonderful and haunting narrative experience, The Novelist.
Join The Discussion
Calling all Super Smash Bros. Ultimate players! What are your first impressions of the game? Have you been enjoying the single-player and multiplayer modes? Use the link above to join our community impressions sharing thread!
A lot of reviewers are trumping up Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's multiplayer features, but is the game still a "must have" is you only intend to play it locally or single-player?
Are any of you excited for Obsidian's The Outer Worlds? Some are calling it a "spiritual successor" to Fallout: New Vegas, but does that make expectations too high?
Counter-Strike: GO is adding a Battle Royale mode and going F2P! Will this draw you back into the game? Is the field of multiplayer-focused first-person shooters too crowded?
Reports are saying Fallout 76's support system tickets exposed personal information to other players. What do you think are Bethesda's next steps, and were you impacted?
Speaking of Fallout 76, what are YOUR thoughts about Bethesda refusing refunds for Fallout 76? Is there any hope of Bethesda building good-will for Fallout 76 anymore?
What is your gut-reaction to Epic Games launching a new storefront? Is it doomed to fail, or is it a wonderful opportunity for indie developers? Share your two-cents' worth using the link above.
Here's a fun discussion topic for everyone to join! What's the last game that made you wish you played it sooner? Is it a multiplayer-focused game or a classic you only recently played?
Calling all Destiny 2 players! Do any of you have reactions to the recently announced Black Armory DLC and Annual Pass? If so, join our community discussion RIGHT NOW!
In an idea almost from the mind of Dan, Giant Bomb user Splitterguy is working on a "scientific" ranking of every boss from the Metal Gear franchise from best to worst.
remilia_seven_fangs created a list annotating their ten favorite visual novels. Even if you are not a fan of the genre, check out their list as they wrote an ACTUAL ESSAY for each game!
Useful User Reviews
- While several people certainly enjoy Wario as a character, @riostarwind's review of Wario Land 3 reminds us the portly protagonist's actual games have left a lot to be desired sometimes.
- @professorwhy's Monster Hunter: World review talks about how the game is one of the clearest examples of gameplay "loops" and grinding done right.
- Giant Bomb user @cacheandplay uses their review of Horizon: Zero Dawn to explain why they think it a MUST HAVE for any PS4 owner.
- @guip1408's Mega Man 11 review debates whether or not its new mechanics are a welcome change of pace, or frustrating. Read where they stand using the link.
- @machofantastico uses their review of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy to share why they think calling the game a "side story" is insulting to the game's compelling characters and attention to detail.
- @count_zero bought and played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 on a whim, and reviews why it's a disappointing game that squanders its potential.