Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! Well, it certainly was "something" to see the Community Spotlight on the front-page well into the week. I want to thank all of you who shared how you are feeling about the site and its state, especially those of you who shared your thoughts in a civil and respectful manner. It's important for everyone to know sharing that you are concerned or disappointed with the staff leavings isn't something I, or the rest of the moderation team plan to prohibit on the forums or elsewhere. This is a weird time to be a Giant Bomb fan and it's okay if you don't feel as engaged with the site. Just remember that the people who are still here care for the site and want you to know they are planning big things, especially with E3 2021 right around the corner. Though, your guess is as good as mine in terms of predicting how E3 works as an industry event this year. With that in mind, let's jump into the site-related housekeeping!
- CORRECTION: Last week I erroneously stated that Giant Bomb premium would be free for everyone during the month of May. This was wrong, and Premium will be free during May for pre-existing subscribers only. I apologize for the confusion.
- Jan and Rorie have been having a ton of fun on the Giant Bomb Instagram account. They recently did a ten minute show on the Giant Bomb Instagram Account and if you have an account, follow it to get the notifications.
- @conmulligan posted an update about the iOS App "Bomb Cyclone" video app for iPhone and iPad! They have resolved the issue surrounding the upcoming schedule and other things.
What companies are doing presentations?— Brad Lynch (@MarinoV1) May 19, 2021
When are they?
What even is E3 now?
Who can say?
But, we're gonna be bringing the @giantbomb E3 Banner Contest back one way or another.
Find your uDraw tablets and be ready to win and lose together one more time. pic.twitter.com/jvNmEgIaFb
I've been collecting pins since I was very young, and decided today to finally get a corkboard. Thought these would be appropriate pins to put on first. Shoutouts to @giantbomb. pic.twitter.com/wAC1SuB2sT— carnyth (@Carnyth) May 21, 2021
Check out my party hole.— Giant Bomb Out of Context (@giantbomb_ooc) May 21, 2021
- Jeff Gerstmann, 2009
I found video proof that @VinnyCaravella used to be an Anime Vice user. While taking a trip back in some of the first videos on @giantbomb, he says "If you haven't been to AnimeVice[dot]com, I think you're missing out." pic.twitter.com/LF5TFGzpYg— Giant Bomb Nonsense (@GB_Nonsense) May 20, 2021
If you don't follow @giantbomb on Instagram, you're missing out on some classic nonsense over there. Like @frailgesture having a moment and @_janjerome calling him out on it. pic.twitter.com/OtmtBbc0KK— Giant Bomb Nonsense (@GB_Nonsense) May 21, 2021
Over on Twitter, AJ Fraser (aka @TimesHero) made the declaration "Giant Bomb is Eternal," and no matter what happens, I think we can all agree. Also, don't forget to follow and support artists however you can.
Twitter user VoidBurger was having a fun time messing around with Paint Studio Pro and decided to sketch Jan using neon pink. I think we can all agree it work amazingly well!
DigitalLogjam has been working on "updating" the emotes on the Giant Bomb Discord and ended up creating this monstrosity they are now dubbing "Seadan." They aren't sorry for sharing this creation, and neither am I!
Over on YouTube, VinnCo Archive was going through GameSpot's older videos and found a Feb. 2006 edition of "Tournament TV" with Jeff, Rich Gallup , and Brian Mechberg for NASCAR SimRacing! Give it a watch if you are looking for a trip down memory lane!
Humanity checked out the demo for Scarlet Nexus, the upcoming psionic-based action RPG. Use the link to read on the site why they found the game to be "complete anime."
Mento 's latest "Indie Game of the Week" blog discusses their impressions of Outbuddies DX! Use the link to read why the game failed to maintain their interest. Speaking of blog series, they are starting a quick series on 2004's Painkiller: Black Edition after sitting on the game for years! Use the link below to find out if they think the game makes a positive first impression!
How does one assess the value of Heavy Rain by today's standards? imunbeatable80 attempts to get to the bottom of that very problem with a new blog post on Giant Bomb! Do David Cage's sensibilities hold up in any context?
qreedence continues their World of Warcraft "Raid Log" on the site and this episode breaks down the stats of their recent attempt to get into Shadowlands! Did they survive or die during some of the more strenuous encounters? Click the link to find out! Also worth noting, qreedence provided another weekly update on their gaming progress with a blog all about their time with Hitch Hiker and the Wrath of the Druids DLC for Valhalla!
benwayne did not enjoy their time with Resident Evil Village. On their latest blog on the site, they detail why they found the game's levels and boss battles to be especially limiting.
bigsocrates uses their latest blog to talk about Superliminal and how it wants to be Portal. Read why they think it might be one better perspective-based puzzle games out there. Second, bigsocrates' retrospective on the Assassin's Creed franchise continues with a look at Assassin's Creed: Rogue. Read why they think it has as much to offer as the "proper" Assassin's Creed game of the year of its release, Unity.
vallian88 takes to Giant Bomb to discuss the concepts of "Setting as Character" and "Story as Character" in the world of video games. If you don't know what they are talking, or have examples of both to share, use the link above!
mynameisfatmike ended up playing Sludge Life based on several recommendations. However, they use their latest blog on Giant Bomb to raise concerns about it possibly being an example of "style over substance."
What are you expecting and hoping for from the E3 2021 digital event? Are there any console or game related announcements you are hoping are real? Are you just happy E3 is back?
There's a new community effort to develop a name for a purely hypothetical pinball-based podcast between Jeff Gerstmann and Jeff Bakalar. The ideas thus far are... well, they need work.
How many Giant Bomb users out there have picked up and checked out Mass Effect Legendary Edition? Are your impressions of the remaster positive or negative? Are you happy about returning to the world of Mass Effect?
So, what does everyone in the community think about New Pokémon Snap? Has everyone been enjoying their time with the game or do you think it falls short of the original? Join the discussion using the link above!
The Giant Bomb community continues to mourn the passing of Kentaro Miura, creator of Berserk. Use the link below to share your favorite memories with the Berserk franchise and the many games and movies influenced by it.
When was the last time a video game's story truly shocked you in a good way? In the following discussion thread on Giant Bomb, community members are voting for and sharing the types of stories that blow their minds.
Do you think it is possible to revive the Project Gotham Racing series? Or, has Forza Horizon filled the void left by the death of PGR? Here's my idea: Project Gotham Racing Vs. Forza Horizon. Have both games, but let players toggle if they want to be scored by Forza's rules or by Kudos.
In the past year or so, have you moved towards mobile games to fill your "gaming diet?" Which experiences or genres do you play exclusively on mobile platforms?
Since the release of the NES Mini, the video game industry has seen an explosion of miniaturized "retro" console releases. What do you think is driving this resurgent practice given how many have failed?
As the title of the thread might suggest, what are some games that you play because they remind you of different older games? The best example I can think of is Planet Coaster scratching the Roller Coaster Tycoon itch.
Okay everyone, danryback reviewed a shit ton of fighting games on the site and I really hope you take the time to read and support at least some of the reviews they posted on the site. They are definitely worth checking out when you have the time.
- @danryback took a look at SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy! Use the link below to read why they think the game's lack of legs make it a hard sell for all comers.
- @danryback's retro fighting game review series continued with Capcom Fighting Evolution! Use the link to read why they think the FGC goes "hard" on the game, and rightfully so.
- @danryback continued to trudge through the older entries of The King of Fighters franchise with an assessment The King of Fighters '95! Use the link to read why they think this still is NOT the game when KOF truly became the KOF everyone knows and loves.
- @danryback's review retrospective of The King of Fighters franchise continued with review on The King of Fighters '96. Use the link to read why they think it is one of the better starting points in the series for newcomers.
- @zeroaxxis' review of The Medium explains why their unfamiliarity with Bloober's Team's previous work made the game a far more "special" experience. However, they also enjoyed other aspects of the game as well.
- @mynameisfatmike's Control review briefly highlights why they think the game is a clear and enthralling example of a developer making a game that "fires on all cylinders.
- @yyninja's Subnautica review details why they did not enjoy the game beyond its crafting and exploration mechanics and came to actively dislike its difficulty and story.
- @yyninja also has been meaning to play A Story About My Uncle and finally got around to doing so this week. Use the link to read why they loved its mix of subtle storytelling and platforming.