Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Borderlands: The Secret Preview of General Knoxx

• 84 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

You'll spend some time just rolling up this highway, blowing apart everything that gets in your way. 
    You'll spend some time just rolling up this highway, blowing apart everything that gets in your way. 
    After one good one and one bad one, Gearbox is just about done developing the third downloadable add-on for its 2009 release, Borderlands. The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, however, seems poised to make its predecessors look extremely shallow by comparison. I recently took a trip up to the 2K Marin offices to talk with Paul Hellquist, Game Design Director at Gearbox. We went through a few of the different parts of this new quest and, as a guy that's had a level 50 character sort of languishing around since the original retail release, I'm definitely looking forward to playing through it.

Of course, I could play through it right now. We left that meeting with a pair of hard drives containing level 50 characters and an early version of the DLC. But those characters aren't my character. Playing through that stuff with a basic Brick or Mordecai would be almost completely pointless, especially now that the level cap has been raised to 61. Apparently getting that done is a lot harder than just jacking up the number of levels and hoping for the best. With another 11 skill points to be earned, Gearbox claims those high-level characters start getting pretty overpowered. As a result, the developers have gone back in and made changes to the skill tree, tweaking a few percentages here and there to prevent your vault hunter from getting a little too good at killing everything.

Speaking of vaults and the hunting of them, the General Knoxx plot takes place directly after the game's main story. Once you've opened the vault and taken care of the game's final boss, you can start getting missions in T-Bone Junction, the first new zone you'll visit. Here you'll find Scooter, who's set up a new shop and is working on getting you some new vehicles. You'll also find out that you're the second-most-wanted "criminal" on Pandora, at least according to the Atlas Corporation. Atlas, it would seem, is returning to Pandora to take it back from lawless scum like yourself, so expect to see all sorts of new Crimson Lance enemies, like the Rocketeer, which, as you might expect, has a jet pack. There's also a medic, which will toss out a turret that heals nearby enemies. And a shock trooper, which attempts to roll you up quickly with electrical attacks. The enemy variety, from what we saw, looks pretty good.

Along with Atlas comes General Knoxx, who isn't too happy about his assignment and just sort of wants you dead as soon as possible. It sounds like you'll be fighting your way in his direction for main plot, with a grip of side quests thrown in to give you even more to worry about. At the end of it all lies a bunch of Atlas technology. Yeah, new guns. The DLC will offer one new rarity class, along with some new gun parts that allow for more unique effects. Players that don't purchase the DLC will still be able to see the new weapons, thanks to a patch that'll hit at the same time.

So new guns, new vehicles, a raised level cap, and a plot that picks up where the main game left off. When you spell it out like that, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx sounds like a pretty good idea. It'll be out for $10 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC soon. Be sure to watch our video interview for more info.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

After one good one and one bad one, Gearbox is just about done developing the third downloadable add-on for its 2009 release, Borderlands. The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, however, seems poised to make its predecessors look extremely shallow by comparison. I recently took a trip up to the 2K Marin offices to talk with Paul Hellquist, Game Design Director at Gearbox. We went through a few of the different parts of this new quest and, as a guy that's had a level 50 character sort of languishing around since the original retail release, I'm definitely looking forward to playing through it.

Of course, I could play through it right now. We left that meeting with a pair of hard drives containing level 50 characters and an early version of the DLC. But those characters aren't my character. Playing through that stuff with a basic Brick or Mordecai would be almost completely pointless, especially now that the level cap has been raised to 61. Apparently getting that done is a lot harder than just jacking up the number of levels and hoping for the best. With another 11 skill points to be earned, Gearbox claims those high-level characters start getting pretty overpowered. As a result, the developers have gone back in and made changes to the skill tree, tweaking a few percentages here and there to prevent your vault hunter from getting a little too good at killing everything.

Speaking of vaults and the hunting of them, the General Knoxx plot takes place directly after the game's main story. Once you've opened the vault and taken care of the game's final boss, you can start getting missions in T-Bone Junction, the first new zone you'll visit. Here you'll find Scooter, who's set up a new shop and is working on getting you some new vehicles. You'll also find out that you're the second-most-wanted "criminal" on Pandora, at least according to the Atlas Corporation. Atlas, it would seem, is returning to Pandora to take it back from lawless scum like yourself, so expect to see all sorts of new Crimson Lance enemies, like the Rocketeer, which, as you might expect, has a jet pack. There's also a medic, which will toss out a turret that heals nearby enemies. And a shock trooper, which attempts to roll you up quickly with electrical attacks. The enemy variety, from what we saw, looks pretty good.

Along with Atlas comes General Knoxx, who isn't too happy about his assignment and just sort of wants you dead as soon as possible. It sounds like you'll be fighting your way in his direction for main plot, with a grip of side quests thrown in to give you even more to worry about. At the end of it all lies a bunch of Atlas technology. Yeah, new guns. The DLC will offer one new rarity class, along with some new gun parts that allow for more unique effects. Players that don't purchase the DLC will still be able to see the new weapons, thanks to a patch that'll hit at the same time.

So new guns, new vehicles, a raised level cap, and a plot that picks up where the main game left off. When you spell it out like that, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx sounds like a pretty good idea. It'll be out for $10 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC soon. Be sure to watch our video interview for more info.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Afroman269

Can't wait

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Luke

Nice preview!  I honestly cannot wait for this. 
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dbz1995

Excellent. Need to finish the game twice first.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By august

THIS IS WHERE THE CARS LIVE

GET YOU ONE

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By frankxiv

gonna be awesome, can't wait

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Wow, alot cheaper than I expected at that too.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Hmmm... I shall see about maybe getting this. Borderlands was not my favorite game of last year, but after watching this i may give it another chance and brush the accumulating dust off Borderlands.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august

If you're the second most wanted person on Pandora, who's #1?

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @august said:
    " If you're the second most wanted person on Pandora, who's #1? "
    Clap-Trap of course.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By mracoon

I played through the game twice and got both the DLC that's been released so far and I'm not sure if I really want to get back into it. I've got some MS points lying around so I think I'll take the risk.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By august
    @CornontheCobbe said:
    " @august said:
    " If you're the second most wanted person on Pandora, who's #1? "
    Clap-Trap of course. "
    Hmm yes indeed.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar

only 10? whoa, thats awesome

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hitchenson

Dude, yes. After playing Borderlands for something like 180 hours, well, I couldn't be more excited to go and double that play time.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Xeiphyer

Only $10?! Sick deal!

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Soulblitz

Excellent, can't wait for this. 61 seems like quite an odd number to stop the level cap at, but hey, I'm not complaining.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ht101

Nice look at the game.  I haven't gotten any of the DLC for Borderlands so I may need to do that.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Soulblitz said:
    " Excellent, can't wait for this. 61 seems like quite an odd number to stop the level cap at, but hey, I'm not complaining. "
    *Turn it up to 11.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By august

Also I'm gonna kill you and stuff.

fastidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fastidious

Haven't played Borderlands for a while now, this might be what my friends and I need to get back into it. The other DLC wasn't nearly as interesting, but with higher caps, new guns and vehicles I definitely want to get this one.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MajorToms

Excellent. I've been itching to play some good DLC for this. Zombie Island wasn't bad, In fact, I liked it. However, Mad Moxxi was frustrating on single player. Have yet to convince people to make the purchase, and I don't want to pressure them into that DLC. 

This DLC looks amazing by comparison.

MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By MushroomSamba

I totally want that poster in the background.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crimson Rocketeers huh? will we be getting jetpacks too? 

though that might make the game easy, a little too easy :/

cowdrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cowdrunk

NEW LOOT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By august

With the crazy ninja ladies I see Gearbox continues to lift stuff from Half-Life/Opposing Force. Which is fine by me.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By lead_farmer
    @august said:
    " THIS IS WHERE THE CARS LIVE  GET YOU ONE "
    "C'mon, CATCH A RIIIIIIDE!"
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By End_Boss

Looks interesting. We'll see if it convinces me to put Borderlands back in the ol' disc tray.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Ferginator4k

Gonna grab all the DLC when this comes out and play through it with my mates

billygoat117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By billygoat117

So, I don't have as much time sunk into the game as some of my friends, but they have a concern. They're afraid that all the XP they've built up after hitting 50 will just immediately get allocated and jump them straight up to 61 (seriously, these guys have put a SHIT TON of hours into their guys). I don't think that would bother me very much, but what do you all think? Would that piss you off? DO you think that would even happen?

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MaddProdigy
    @august: this is an excellent plot point question
    can't wait to find out
    Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fei

I'm actually excited for this. Time to take my 1250 to 1500!

momentarylogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33  Edited By momentarylogic

mmmmmmMMMmmmborderlands... again... 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By august
    @billygoat117 said:
    " So, I don't have as much time sunk into the game as some of my friends, but they have a concern. They're afraid that all the XP they've built up after hitting 50 will just immediately get allocated and jump them straight up to 61 (seriously, these guys have put a SHIT TON of hours into their guys). I don't think that would bother me very much, but what do you all think? Would that piss you off? DO you think that would even happen? "
    This is an important question and I hope it gets answered soon.
    Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Borderlands version of Baal? Hell yes.

With the return of Mad Moxxi. Loving it.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By WickedCestus

If it's right after the end will we see an appearance of Claptrap as a robot ninja assassin? 

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By jeffk38uk

Well now I have to finish Borderlands now and this is certainly a way to get me to finish it.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FunExplosions

First enjoyable DLC, it looks like.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By alternate

Looks good.  Having not bought any of the previous DLC I am tempted to wait for the inevitable GOTY disc edition with the DLC all rolled in.  I can wait, have a backlog before I can return to Pandora.

Lights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lights

I have two other friends with borderlands, they love it, the problem is that they're both level 28! Seems like me and my level 50 will be soloing this DLC when it comes out. Just like it was with the main game. :(

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By captain_clayman

dude... 

giantbomb needs a higher res video player or something 
    pixelated as ****

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Milkman

I hope the new vehicles control better than the Outrunner.

nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nethanel

Unless they fix the massive modding of weapons Borderlands is dead to me. There isn't a point of playing when every online game has some guy with a weapon that 1-hits everything

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Trilogy

I'll probably pick this up after I finish borderlands. I usually don't buy dlc but this seems pretty cool.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sil3n7

Looks way better than Under dome.

beanZfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By beanZfury

Moxxie's Underdome is fun. I am bitter about the lack of levelling, but the experience itself is challenging and fun (only) to play through with friends. I bought the game for 30 bones and then bought both DLC without thinking. After reading Jeff's take on Moxxie's, I felt gypped. After playin it for a number of hours. I realise that I've had just a\s much fun playing this (in co-op) as I have playing co-op in RE5 (my co-op game of last year).
    Any comments on your favourite co-op game of this/last year? RE5 was mine is because it reminded me of sitting next to someone on a couch and playing around.

Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Egge

Awesome, can't wait. Stop talking and release it now!

Sliqcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sliqcore
    @august said:
    " THIS IS WHERE THE CARS LIVE,  GET YOU ONE "
    hahaha...
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Faint

better finish my 2nd playthrough then. only got an hour or two left to it.

lord_ozma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lord_ozma

This seems much more attuned to the experience that the first DLC offered: a narrative extension of the main plot that was fun and very similar to the normal game itself. I skipped over Mad Moxi after watching the GB boys give it a whirl (looked terrible) but I'm definitely on the bandwagon for killing some Atlas drones and getting new gear/levels. Here's  hoping the PC release doesn't lag far behind the consoles...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.