Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crackdown 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 15, 2019

Crackdown 3 pits the Agency and some rebels against an evil corporation bent on blacking out the entire planet.

Destruction?

QTanimeboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By QTanimeboi

Where the heck is it?

No emphasis on it at all and I didn't see any in the e3 trailer. I thought that was supposed to be a major aspect for the game, cloud computing and all.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@qtanimeboi: So a quick Google shows that the developers involved are Sumo Digital, Reagent Games and Cloudgine (both of which are David Jones companies). I just wonder if the latter studios were working on the game but it just wasn't coming together so Microsoft brought in Sumo Digital, told them to finish it up and now we just have a game much like the first and no mass destruction. Let's not forget that David Jones last game, All Points Bulletin, was also a rather ambitious project that went belly up just a few months after launch and put the company out of business only to later be picked up by a different studio.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was in there they would have mentioned it. I am 90% sure it's not.

My guess is that OG Xbox One can't handle the math, doing it "in the could" was always dumb because most people have shitty internet connections, so they just made Saints Row Crackdown. If there's enough Terry Crews it could work.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Seems like this could be quite the hot mess.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I think the fact that after all of this time, they don't show us a long gameplay demo should be worrying. Who knows what the hell happened to this game. The trailer did nothing to sell me on it.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terry Crews said something to the effect of "...Throw a fucking building..." in the trailer, so......no idea.

'

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

The confusing thing is that it really doesn't look any better than Crackdown 2.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the low graphic fidelity i wouldnt doubt its still in there maybe just toned down a lot.

Anyway, i am real surprised so many people wanted more crackdown.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the low graphic fidelity i wouldnt doubt its still in there maybe just toned down a lot.

Anyway, i am real surprised so many people wanted more crackdown.

Crackdown 1 was a great game and way ahead of its time! It was a direct progenitor of Breath of the Wild.

Think about it. Open world game. Do the bosses in any order (less true for Crackdown, but you did have a lot of freedom.) Collect orbs to power your character up. Go crazy in a fun physics engine. Climb everything.

Plus multiplayer and a really cool style.

Crackdown 2 kind of sucked because it was more of the same only with zombies for some reason, and instead of cool named bosses you were just putting UV arrays back together, but the first game was fun and very influential. If they could rediscover that spirit for a new generation it would be great.

Unfortunately I think they are likely to fall short, but I'll probably give it a shot. I think the first Crackdown was the first Xbox 360 game I actually finished...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By nightriff

Fact that it's 5 months away from release and showed zero actual gameplay, I would be worried by that.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

If the destruction was in there, they would have leaned into it. Unless this is exceptionally bad marketing, I'm going to assume it'll be more or less like the first game but without the surprise of it being an unknown quantity.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12 FinalDasa  Moderator

Destruction is multiplayer only, probably because the processing power for it is off-loaded "to the cloud" like they said in early marketing material.

Their logic is in single player you're a good guy and wouldn't destroy all those buildings and in multiplayer you're bad and would.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

It's gone for sure. I think it's super hard to do.

I would have loved to play a Crackdown with that but also I can still like a new Crackdown without it. What they showed didn't get me so much but the game could be fun.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Didn't look right.

Kind of agreed with Dan's take on it. The original Crackdown was a game with some good ideas and a hell of a lot of personality in total.

I didn't get that from the trailer for this game.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: i just remember it controlling real bad, i did end up playing it years later when it was free and almost beat it before getting bored of it. It could be cool with better camera amd controls, but yeah it wasnt really that great and i never played 2.

heaveninblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destruction is still in for multiplayer

https://twitter.com/shannonloftis/status/874042517557202945

and when asked whether its the cloud-powered destruction she answered "yep"

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heaveninblack: then why not show that? You've got this $499 box you're trying to sell yet they released a less than impressive trailer for a game that could be ground breaking from a technical aspect.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing changed Sumo Digital are working on CD3's single-player have been since the start, with Cloudgine / Reagent Games working on the cloud MP stuff. After being AFK for awhile Crackdown 3 ain't looking so hot and with release being a few months away a short montage isn't a super positive sign.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heaveninblack said:

Destruction is still in for multiplayer

https://twitter.com/shannonloftis/status/874042517557202945

and when asked whether its the cloud-powered destruction she answered "yep"

Is it not in singleplayer? That seems really odd.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@moab: it was never in single player. if it requires an internet connection then it makes sense to put it in the multiplayer but who knows what other challenges there were.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moab: They always said that was the case just because how that'd simply just break the game's progression. I still think they should've shown the destruction stuff though. The trailer aside from Terry Crews was very underwhelming. If anything, Terry Crews made it look worse.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got the clarification on this. I think it makes sense and I am interested to see how the two sides stand out. I love destruction but was always wondering how that jives with Crackdown's platforming stuff, which destruction would really fuck with.

People who saw more of the game seem to have good things to say. Heard them say so on the Waypoint podcast.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach said:

Didn't look right.

Kind of agreed with Dan's take on it. The original Crackdown was a game with some good ideas and a hell of a lot of personality in total.

I didn't get that from the trailer for this game.

What really bothered me about the trailer was the game didn't look that great, and animations seemed really terrible.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I guess the game got delayed again huh? Moving from Nov this year to Spring '18 and missing XB1X launch. To cancel Scalebound and keep this thing dragging along all these years...yikes. I mean, Scalebound didn't look great but at least seemed to have some potential. This thing never seem like a good idea. Who knows, I guess they really believe in it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Forza Motorsport 7 is their only big exclusive for the remainer of the year? Beats Knack 2 though, but that still seems rough with the Xbone X launching. Guess those multiplatform games really have to outshine the PS4 versions.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By liquiddragon

@glots: Sony's got Gran Turismo Sport as well, which despite last gen blunders, is still easily the biggest sim driving game and likely going to be the biggest exclusive on the platform period. Xb1 owners can still be happy w/ Forza 7 but not a good look in terms of pure numbers.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@liquiddragon said:

I guess the game got delayed again huh? Moving from Nov this year to Spring '18 and missing XB1X launch. To cancel Scalebound and keep this thing dragging along all these years...yikes. I mean, Scalebound didn't look great but at least seemed to have some potential. This thing never seem like a good idea. Who knows, I guess they really believe in it.

I read things from people who were at E3 and Crackdown sounded quite good with a lot of what it was doing. I don't get the negativity. Glad it's getting more time to improve, I do think the visuals could simply be better. I'd take Crackdown over annoying kid with headphones and a dragon any day. I think with time this will turn out well.

EDIT: I do get the negativity about Microsoft's line up of first party. Personally I think Sony is rather weak in this area too in quality for my tastes but I know some others really like some of their recent games. I think they otherwise are benefiting from Japanese ports. I hope both do better. Part of the Xbox appeal is power so hopefully they use that. They have to prove it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I just never got the hype for the Crackdown series and I guess kinda had a disdain for it. lol Some of it is probably unfair on my part but it just seems like something that should've ended and forgotten after the 1st game. I was definitely surprised by the positive impressions people were giving after seeing it at E3 so I guess Microsoft actually believes in Crackdown 3 for real but the way C2 was pooped out left a really bad impression on me of how Microsoft seemed to feel about the series. It felt very cynical, like they didn't give a shit about Crackdown but it made sense financially on some graph so they did it to squeeze what they could out of it. When they announced C3, I just got this feeling that they were trying to trick people again but hey, seems like they're trying to finally do right by the fans, though they kinda needed it this year. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for anything new out of Kamiya so I'm just speaking purely selfishly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.