Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Jeff Green plays Dark Souls [Updated with parts 30 - 33]

• 162 results
    Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Timing

After Vinny and Brad, resident senior video game guy Jeff Green has also begun chronicling his Dark Souls endeavors via live stream.

At times excruciating, at other times hilarious, it's everything you'd expect a Jeff Green Dark Souls playthrough to be. He's making progress, though slowly (VERY SLOWLY).

Episodes are archived on his YouTube channel.

Part 1: Undead Asylum. Jeff doesn't beat the Asylum Demon

Part 2: New character, starts at Undead Burg. Jeff meets the Taurus Demon. Also he doesn't get along with the undead merchant.

Part 3: More Undead Burg. Jeff miraculously beats the Taurus Demon. The Hellkite Drake proves unusually docile. Jeff gets burned anyway.

Part 4: Undead Burg & Parish. Jeff faces the Hellkite Drake, the Greatsword Black Knight, the Armoured Boar and his wife. He beats one of them.

Part 5A, B: More Parish. Jeff eventually makes it through it and reaches the Undead Church bonfire.

Part 6: Jeff tries the Titanite Demon and the forest. It doesn't go well. He returns to the Parish. 47m30s in is the best part.

Part 7A, B: Jeff finds Lautrec and faces the Gargoyles for the first time. No real progress is made.

Part 8: More forest and Gargoyles. Jeff eventually enlists the help of another player and grossly incandescent Solaire to defeat the Gargoyles.

Part 9: Back to the forest again. Several Moonlight Butterfly attempts.

Part 10: Drunken butterfly shenanigans.

Part 11: Jeff goes for the Elite Knight armour, which proves a lot harder than anyone could've expected. He also meets Havel. Their encounter is brief.

Part 12: Lower Undead Burg. Jeff meets the Capra Demon and opens some shortcuts. Greatness at 58m16s.

Part 13: Jeff disposes of Lautrec and exacts revenge on the Capra Demon.

Part 14: Depths, dogs, butchers, Laurentius, slimes. Oh god slimes.

Part 15: More depths, more rats, more slimes, curse frogs, Gaping Dragon. Also dog.

Part 16: Mo Depths, Mo Problems. Jeff learns about curses. The hard way.

Part 17A, B: Jeff tries his hand at the Gaping Dragon again. He almost wins.

Part 18: Gaping Dragon is defeated on the first attempt of the day. Jeff also beats his first Black Night. Valley of Drakes? Nope.

Part 19: Everyone said it couldn't be done, but it was done: Jeff beats Havel.

Part 20: Jeff ventures into Blighttown. He doesn't make it very far.

Part 21: Progress in Blighttown. Jeff also learns about toxicity, the same way he learned about curses: the hard way.

Part 22: More Blighttown. Jeff encounters Quelaag for the first time. It goes surprisingly well, though he doesn't beat her yet.

Part 23: Quelaag defeated! Jeff also meets Eingyi but they don't get along. Ceaseless Discharge and Sen's Fortress don't go very well.

Part 24: Return to Undead Asylum.

Part 25: Sen's Fortress.

Part 26: More Sen's. Jeff also takes on the Hydra. And wins!

Part 27: Back to Sen's once more. Jeff finally finds the bonfire and takes a shot at the Iron Golem.

Part 28: Jeff defeats the Iron Golem and finally visits Anor Londo for the first time.

Part 29A, B: Anor Londo. Jeff eventually almost makes it to the infamous Silver Knight archers, but not quite.

Part 30: Jeff traverses the Catacombs.

Part 31 A, B, C: Catacombs, technical difficulties, Catacombs, Pinwheel defeated, and the trip back to Anor Londo.

Part 32: More Anor Londo. Archers, Silver Knights, Mimics, and an introduction to everyone's favourite duo in the game.

Part 33: Fed up with Anor Londo, Ornstein & Smough, and after committing and act of unforgivable cruelty, Jeff goes to the Painted World.

You can follow mister Green on Twitter or on Twitch to find out when he's streaming again. The stream also occasionally features cameos by his dog or a sandwich, sometimes both. It's pretty good.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Haha, Jeff Green is awesome, I love that he's doing this.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

HA! , now @patrickklepek is the only other person i would like to play DS.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

"There is my goddamn begging dog"

Apsup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care if someone is bad at the game, especially at game as challenging as Dark Souls, but when someone pays more attention to what stream chat is saying than what the game is saying, that's just wrong, absolutely wrong.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Call me when it's Dan Green.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Itwastuesday

yessssssssss. jeff green is like the internet's dad

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#8  Edited By Brackynews
    NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn you. Now I have an excuse to put off studying for another hour.

automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff Green is truly a proffesional gamer.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PolygonSlayer

Jeff Green is the nerd dad of all nerd dads! =D Makes me miss GFW as well :/

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He really never makes it out of the Asylum in that whole first hour? I don't know if my emotional well-being can allow me to commit to watching him play this game.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Call me when its Seth Green

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaLe

I laughed more than a few times. Jeff can be a funny boy when he wants.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Mr. Green needs to get on the Bombcast.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He really never makes it out of the Asylum in that whole first hour? I don't know if my emotional well-being can allow me to commit to watching him play this game.

Really? Well crap, I guess I'm skipping around.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Ruiner

HA! , now @patrickklepek is the only other person i would like to play DS.

I'd rather Jeff Gertsman do it... Patrick is super open-minded, winning Jeff over would be a victory.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Jeff Green. Those glasses make him look like he's in a constant state of bewilderment.

"Ugh, my dad is in the study playing computer games while wearing a Kraftwerk shirt. So lame!"

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IT CONTINUES NOW!

I can't watch it right now, but I'll update the thread with more archived videos later.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ares42

Watching that video is a stark reminder of why modern videogames are the way they are. Unfortunately he's not really gonna get any enjoyment out of the game unless he changes his approach to it.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jimmyfenix: Don't bother. He would probably stop because the game wasn't "art" and "progressive" enough. He would appreciate the hormone slider though(or was that only in Demon's Souls)

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By development

Tiny Head. Finally; someone who knows how to play this game.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Dark Souls playthroughs? That's new.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty: Jeff is nothing if not hip.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose I could get a bunch of viewers trying to play Dark Souls with my feet.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xanthor! Where is the cudgel!?

Jeff Green is a legend. Everyone's favorite internet dad.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman

So, this is cool and all. But I just realized how weird it is that people seem to want to watch everyone they possibly can play Dark Souls. Seems to be the number one game people will tune in to watch, even though these people who get so excited about it/demand it have very likely beaten the game themselves, and more than likely watched at least one other person play a significant portion of the game before. Is that not weird? Is it just people wanting to watch other people fall into the traps that they've already been through themselves? You'd think that would get old after a bit.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman: I mean, a little schadenfreude is fine, but yeah. It's weird.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By monetarydread

This makes me want to listen to some good ol' CGW Radio.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pyrodactyl

So, this is cool and all. But I just realized how weird it is that people seem to want to watch everyone they possibly can play Dark Souls. Seems to be the number one game people will tune in to watch, even though these people who get so excited about it/demand it have very likely beaten the game themselves, and more than likely watched at least one other person play a significant portion of the game before. Is that not weird? Is it just people wanting to watch other people fall into the traps that they've already been through themselves? You'd think that would get old after a bit.

Th most tiresome part is that it seems like most people streaming don't have the time (or interest) to learn what the fuck is actually going on in the game. Dark souls is one of the most mechanics heavy game of the generation and some of these mechanics are important to progress in the game. Weirdly enough, it looks like there is an inverse correlation between the comunication skills of a person and their ability to understand gameplay systems.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thank you @timing for linking this, @jeffgreen is one hell of a guy. Would love to buy him a drink.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By crusader8463

@jjweatherman said:

Th most tiresome part is that it seems like most people streaming don't have the time (or interest) to learn what the fuck is actually going on in the game. Dark souls is one of the most mechanics heavy game of the generation and some of these mechanics are important to progress in the game. Weirdly enough, it looks like there is an inverse correlation between the comunication skills of a person and their ability to understand gameplay systems.

I tried playing the game for around 4-5 hours and couldn't be bothered to play it again after I shut it down. Despite that, I seem to enjoy watching people play this game. Admittedly it's only been Vinnies Stream and now this, but I have enjoyed watching them play it much more than I ever did playing it. It's weird.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:

@jjweatherman said:

I tried playing the game for around 4-5 hours and couldn't be bothered to play it again after I shut it down. Despite that, I seem to enjoy watching people play this game. Admittedly it's only been Vinnies Stream and now this, but I have enjoyed watching them play it much more than I ever did playing it. It's weird.

what isn't being addressed imo is, that Jeff Green is playing it. Dude is funny. To me it's like watching "The Room" I have no intention of watching that film alone, but seeing the reaction of other people...thats what makes it gold.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wjb
    @jjweatherman said:

I enjoy Jeff Green but I'll wait and see if this turns out to be anything worth watching. Depends on how many times the dog makes an appearance. I only saw the first and last 15 minutes of this one just because I miss Jeff Green sometimes.

I barely have time to watch Vinny get through the last bits of his game, though. I played and finished the game a year and a half ago, and watching Vinny's stream is humorous with Matt and Ian as commentary, but yeah, I get what you're saying. I don't think I can watch one more person play it (be it Brad, Patrick, or Matt). That being said, I might watch Jeff Gerstmann since he doesn't particularly like the series and it would be fun to watch as a laugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Jeff, but this is just painful to watch...

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Silly Grandpa is playing them video games!!

just messin' :brad

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff's a swell fella but he's a "big green arrow" kinda guy.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ares42

@jjweatherman: Watching other people learn and discover the game is actually quite entertaining. Since the entire game is a learning process, watching other people playing can often lead to learning something yourself. However, if they refuse to partake in the game and reject the ideas of learning and exploration it's pretty much just infuriating. It's sorta what I hinted at in my first post here, if you go into the game with the wrong attitude it's just a horrible experience (for everyone), but with the right kind of approach the game is magnificent.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"What I like about modern gaming is that there's usually a giant arrow telling me where to go next so I don't actually have to do any thinking."

Bravo, Mr. Green.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By TobbRobb

@jjweatherman: The game is just a great vessel to show off personalities. Dark Souls just naturally lends itself to bring the best (worst) out of people. Pretty great.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff Green is legit. Looking forward to more of these.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Updated the OP with parts two and three.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ares42

Nice to see he figured out what the game is actually about and started enjoying it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know Jeff Green of the Boston Celtics played Dark Souls! Cool!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ThunderSlash

Jeff Green's chicken imitation makes me laugh.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By rempresent

Jeff Green is awesome, Dark Souls is awesome, him streaming stuff is awesome. I would agree that he needs a little more commentary, someone else to ride shotgun with.

Any guesses to what he is going to be doing in the next coming year?

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Stimpack

Hm. What headphones is he using? I want to look them up.

*edit* nevermind. I don't know how I managed to blank on the name when he clearly said it.

Also, they look very cheap for $50!

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna hear more about this ooochigatana from Jeff.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Krullban

How is pressing left not very intuitive? It's pretty simple.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.