Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

So, who's soloing bosses?

• 54 results
    Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I beat the game on one character, I always used phantoms and sometimes grinded. But a couple of days ago I started a new game and I am soloing every boss, I just beat ornstein and smough solo SL 42(Got ornstein's armor, yay!) and the game is way more satisfying this way! On my first character O&S were a joke, but it took me about 4 hours to beat them this time. It was incredibly tough but infinitely more satisfying than when I fought them in co-op.

Who else fights bosses solo?

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Nadril

I fight most of them solo. I've killed I think all of the bosses solo at least once. O&S are really the only boss that ever takes me more than 1 try to kill...well if you don't count bed of chaos. (Which is a super easy fight but super fucking dumb and annoying). 

Once you learn a bosses pattern its pretty easy to kill them. 

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@Nadril: What sucked about O&S is the first half of the fight. If you're aiming to kill Smough first Ornstein flys over like superman and says "NOPE!". 2nd form Ornstein was easy though :P

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By mazik765

I use phantoms for most. The dev's put them there for me to use, so I'm going to use them, dammit!

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McShank

I soloed everything in NG+ and NG++ because of my level.. O&S were actually one of my easier fights. 4kings were the only ones who gave me trouble.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CannonGoose

Me! It's been OK so far...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I tried the Gargoyals so many times alone. I kept getting one to two hits from dead and they would both hit me with fire. So I summoned a guy to help. I did kill the Capera demon alone which im proud of. The Gaping dragon I KNOW i could do alone but do not wanna go spend an hour on chipping at his health. And for the spider someone helped 

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By emkeighcameron

I say about 50-50. If I see a summon I use it but I won't wait around for them.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy

All solo. I am currently trying to figure out how to kill Nito, and I gave Four Kings a shot but died. I think I just needed Iron Flesh. Nito is tough though. I think I got to where Seath is waiting too but I was too nervous to enter the fog.

Every other boss I soloed though! The only ones I have left are Nito, Four Kings, That weird woman from the painted world, and whatever comes after I give all three lord souls to the Lordvessel.

Hardest so far was definitely Ornstein and Smeough.

Rarari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rarari

Haven't got Xbox Live so I've soloed everything on NG and NG+ so far. Still need to finish Lost Izalith and then kill Gwyn on NG+.

I did summon Solaire on my first playthrough to help with the Gargoyles and tried summoning him to help with O&S, but he just sucked there.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jerr

I'm still relatively early in the game (just getting into Blightown), but the only guy(s) I've used a phantom for are the Bell Tower Gargoyles, and only because I conveniently had the humanity.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Humanity

I've solo'd every boss up until 4 kings, where I am at now - with the exception of Quelaag where I summoned the NPC phantom for novelty but she made the fight super easy taking 99% aggro all the time.

I summoned a human phantom AND the NPC sun bro for Smough and Ornstein because after about 4 tries I got frustrated.

Most bosses take me about 2-3 tries to fully get down. Some bosses I had to switch my whoel setup because it just wasn't working.

I tanked Sif because I was getting one shotted near the end of the fight.

I switched to a broad stroke weapon for a few bosses because mine was missing them all the time.

I just beat Four Kings on my first try by basically hugging them and using greater combustion and then combustion. I finished the last king with my Electro Halberd just to see how much damage it would do.

Joined Darkwraiths, every invasion attempt failed so far I think I have to hurry up, quit farming adn get to NG because I haven't beaten the game yet and I'm in my 90's..

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By jacksukeru

For the early bosses I definetly summon, people might be trying to get into Warriors of Sunlight. For the later bosses I also summon if I can, 'cause I'd sure like to get summoned to scout out the boss and get some souls and humanity.

Jolly co-operation!

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EVO

I haven't summoned a single person. I was hollow for most of the time, and I didn't even know you could summon NPCs until later in the game.

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mitter

If I die on the first try I summon, but that's just because I love the co-op in dark souls. Sure, it's way easier and takes out a bit of the challenge but to me it's just more fun.

If I beat a boss on the first try it's cool, but before I have to try it 5-10 times to get the patterns etc. I'd rather take the time and summon someone.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gosukiller

Only two fights I didn't do solo were Gravelord Mito and the Gargoyle Twins.

I was really under-equipped for the Gargoyles when I had reached them, since my character is Deprived.

I should've gotten a trophy for my Deprived finish -.-

Lancezh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lancezh

@xyzygy said:

All solo. I am currently trying to figure out how to kill Nito, and I gave Four Kings a shot but died. I think I just needed Iron Flesh. Nito is tough though. I think I got to where Seath is waiting too but I was too nervous to enter the fog.

Every other boss I soloed though! The only ones I have left are Nito, Four Kings, That weird woman from the painted world, and whatever comes after I give all three lord souls to the Lordvessel.

Nito was the easiest boss for me in all game maybe apart from the moonlight butterfly once i figured it out. I made the mistake of going in, instead of wait for the guy. If he comes alone he's super easy, no iron flesh needed, just dont start to run around in that cave or you drag to much attention... thats how i did him, was superscared but beat him in the second try really with ease after getting stomped in the first try very bad.

Stingraymond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stingraymond

Well, most people I expect. I've played the game twice and took on every single boss solo both times. It's not exactly a huge deal and the phantoms don't particularly help much, plus the hassle of getting other players into your game isn't worth it. And I wasn't human for the majority of both playthroughs so it would've been impossible anyway.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

Im in the same place as you (just finished S and O) and I solo everything. S and O were HAAAAAARD!!!!! as was Queelag, but it felt sooo ogood to see smough fall over dead :D

EDIT: Am I a masochist?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Solo is the best, I only used a summon for the gaping dragon...and my friend got 1shotted...then I solo'd it.
    Some parts (Anor Londo second bonfire with the archers and shit) is real handy to have a friend with ya, fucking gargoyles.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By TobbRobb

I've yet to actually summon someone, aside from invasions. I kinda view it as a singleplayer game and just stay online because I think invasions are fun.

Pieman51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pieman51

The only boss I haven't fought solo was Demon Firesage.

Yeah. The only 2 bosses solo that gave me a tough time was Gwyn and Four Kings.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Nux

I beat al the bosses up to Ornstein and Smough by myself.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Karkarov

I have soloed every boss but 1. The only reason I didn't solo that one (I have no doubt that I could have) is because that was the one fight the npc phantom I summoned didn't completely suck.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gerrid

The only boss that I beat with help was the Gargoyles, I summoed Solaire first time and beat them using Jolly Co-operation..

I summoned Mildred and a phantom for Quelaag, but got stunlocked in her lava attack after 10 seconds. Eventually I beat her on my own. Also summoned Solaire for my 2nd try at Smough and Ornstein, but didn't quite manage it.

So in the end, apart from the Gargoyles, I beat every boss solo. I had to use Iron Flesh on the Firesage an Gwyn, but apart from that I did most of them straight.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mmmslash

@xyzygy said:

Excluding the Four Kings, the bosses you have left are super easy. Just remember to use a divine weapon on Nito's skeletons so they don't respawn, and then Nito only has two very easy attacks that are super easy to dodge. Just make sure you don't go too far from where you enter, or you'll aggro three giant skeletons, and THAT is actually difficult. They die when Nito dies.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Chummy8

I've been playing offline until now. So, I soloed the gargoyles, capra, and the butterfly.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sanious

I restarted not too long ago with a Pyromancer. I got stuck on O&S on my original character, I got sick of not progressing so that is why I started over. My original character the only one I solo'd was Quelaag, but I had a lot of trouble solo'ing Sif and Capra Demon. With my Pyromancer I've been having absolutely not trouble with bosses so far. I beat Sif in 1 try, took me like 3 tries with the Capra Demon. After having so much trouble with them the first time around, it felt so good kicking their asses this time.

I'm going to be fighting Quelaag soon since I am in Blighttown now, I'm not looking forward to it. But will see what happens.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SaFt

I'm soloing everything, did the same with Demon's souls.

illegalnull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By illegalnull

I'm soloing everything only because my internet connection is not good enough for lag-free online help. I have summoned NPC phantoms in a couple of cases where available. O&S gave me the most trouble, followed closely by that damn Capra Demon. The rest of the bosses haven't been too bad, if they are really hard I go do something else and come back in a couple of levels...

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

@Lancezh said:

@xyzygy said:

Nito was the easiest boss for me in all game maybe apart from the moonlight butterfly once i figured it out. I made the mistake of going in, instead of wait for the guy. If he comes alone he's super easy, no iron flesh needed, just dont start to run around in that cave or you drag to much attention... thats how i did him, was superscared but beat him in the second try really with ease after getting stomped in the first try very bad.

But as soon as I enter the room there is a blade that comes up from the ground which takes out more than half my health. It doesn't make any sense to me to just stand and wait for him because I'll be killed by the blade thing.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tally_Pants

I have been soloing everything... to be totally honest... i don't even know how to bring another person into the game with me! lol

Drez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Drez

I have taken down ever boss solo up until Anor S and O. Other than that fight I used phantoms on the bosses in the Painted World. Everything else has been on my own. Although I'm currently stuck on another boss and would love some Phantom help but I can't seem to find any summon signs. I have done the fight at least 10 times now being summoned by other people but I can't find people to summon for my fight. The damned Four Kings. I put my summon sign right outside the entrance to the Abyss. Is there somewhere else people are putting them that I haven't seen? I have been in a few parties of 3 people now so they have to be summoning others from somewhere.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By cornbredx

At first I was going to but after Queen Queelag I started summoning people. I try to solo stuff first before I do but I really like to help people out and whatnot. It's part of the fun.

It'd be cool if there was a random summons for it like there is for certain covenant invasions. I seem to get summoned less for help then I do for invasions- kinda weird.

shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shamroll

I can't ever find the summoning places. I did once right before O and S but I still lost. So far I have killed every boss on my own, including Gravelord Nito today. One thing that makes soloing not too bad is that I'm not an Xbox gold member so I can't be invaded by other players.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Tiwi

I finished the entire game solo. It's not that hard actually.... the only hard boss in that game is gwyn, if you have low fire resist or can't counter. aka me.

Never had a phantom help me, not once :D

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpartyOn

@Mrsignerman44 said:

I beat the game on one character, I always used phantoms and sometimes grinded. But a couple of days ago I started a new game and I am soloing every boss, I just beat ornstein and smough solo SL 42(Got ornstein's armor, yay!) and the game is way more satisfying this way! On my first character O&S were a joke, but it took me about 4 hours to beat them this time. It was incredibly tough but infinitely more satisfying than when I fought them in co-op.

I'm soloing all of the bosses myself....and i'm currently stuck, so any advice for beating ornisten and smough (speicifically smough first)?

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Tiwi

@SpartyOn said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

I'm soloing all of the bosses myself....and i'm currently stuck, so any advice for beating ornisten and smough (speicifically smough first)?

what are you specced as?

what level? and stats?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pweidman

Everything so far but the Gargoyles. Used Solaire after having so much trouble with those bastards, and it made the fight so much easier...twas a relief. ;p

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#41  Edited By SMTDante89

I'm soloing them all for a couple of reasons, mainly because college internet is so terrible I can't really play online unless it's the weekend and in the morning.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By bkbroiler

I summoned for the Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly (happened to be human when I got to the boss door and it was ridiculously easy), and Queeleg. I didn't have humanity for a lot of the other boss fights, but I also ended up beating a lot of them in one try. The Centipede boss, Seath, and Pinwheel (literally died in three hits, could have been 2 if I didn't waste my fireball trying to kill a phantom). It's a ton of fun, even though sometimes I feel like I accidentally picked the cheapest way to play the game.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpartyOn

@Tiwi: Well I've never played Demon's souls so I kind of went into this game in the dark and, after looking some stuff up, realized I've made plenty of mistakes with leveling. I'm a knight with dex, vitality, and endurance in the low 20's, and strength around 50. I've been using the black knight sword +4 up until now, and it hits for around 400 damage or so, but it's so damn slow and leaves me so open to attack, making bosses like smough and ornstein are very tough....especially since I'm trying to kill smough first to get ornstein's armor.

I just started dabbling with faster weapons and I'm using the halberd +10 right now.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By UnrealDP

I solo'd every boss in the game except for the gargoyles who i used that sun guy to kill. I'm not against summoning or anything, but i can't get the summoning system to work for every time i approach a boss there's never a sign any where which is totally jacked!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aetheldod

Only summoned with Queelag and with the centipede an npc .... the rest I solo'd

Prismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Prismatic

I've solo'd most stuff. First play-through I got help on Queelag + S&O, summoned Solaire a couple of times to get medals but thats it. NG+ to NG+++ I just started speed running everything for achievements and didn't wanna wait for help.

Centipede Demon and S&O are the hardest bosses in the game for me.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@SpartyOn said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

Oreo and Double-stuffed sure are tough. What you have to do is make sure that when you are punishing fatty's moves Ornstein isn't creeping around the corner about to pounce. Also, never lock on to Ornstein. He is way too fast so the camera bugs out and Smough will usually creep up behind you. Just keep your eyes on Oreo the fight is a piece of cake.

2nd form Ornstein is very easy but he will punish you if you try to rush the fight like I did multiple times. I found that if my health was about 3 bars or lower, then I should always run away and heal because he hits hard. So just pay attention to his attack patterns and you'll be fine, he has some really easy signals and when he butt-stomps the ground he is extremely vulnerable so attack more when he does that move.

Hope I helped man! Good luck!

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Seesic

I soloed everything but the final boss the first time through, because screw that. But my second character, not new game plus. I am summoning phantoms even though I could solo, it just for fun. It makes it easier but not always,  sometimes people just seem to get unlucky and killed immediately before i can heal them.

Zombiegolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zombiegolden

mostly run around hollow and can't be arsed to grind for humanity so soloed most had help on Capra but only cause I was human and saw a glyph) and on gaping which I had more trouble with. most bosses are dead easy once you know their pattern

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Tiwi

@SpartyOn said:

@Tiwi: Well I've never played Demon's souls so I kind of went into this game in the dark and, after looking some stuff up, realized I've made plenty of mistakes with leveling. I'm a knight with dex, vitality, and endurance in the low 20's, and strength around 50. I've been using the black knight sword +4 up until now, and it hits for around 400 damage or so, but it's so damn slow and leaves me so open to attack, making bosses like smough and ornstein are very tough....especially since I'm trying to kill smough first to get ornstein's armor.

I just started dabbling with faster weapons and I'm using the halberd +10 right now.

err... i finished the game twice with the black sword at +4... there's nothing wrong with it :-P it's about getting a good shield.

I pumped all my points during my first playthrough into vitality, endurance and str.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.