Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Demon's Souls or Dragon age?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Pedro

Hey all, I imported Demon's Souls about 2 days before the UK release of Dragon age. I played Demon's for the two days and when dragon age came out I got that on release and played it for about 3 days straight. But each day i kept thinking of Demon's Souls and that I wanted to go back to it. Its really odd because I have been waiting for Dragon age for such a long time but to be honest I think I like Demon's souls a little better. 

So my question is the people who have got both games which do you find yourself wanting to play more and which do you prefer? Or if you have only bought one do you think you will get the other? 

I love both but for me Demon's souls is a more rewarding and traditional RPG but without the awesome story and characters of Dragon age.

Thanks for your thoughts.

msdss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By msdss

I have both games, but I haven't even opened Dragon Age yet so I guess my opinion doesn't count. I hear Dragon Age is very good though, but very challenging. And not in the sense that Demon's Souls is challenging, more like "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT FROM ME BIOWARE?!?"

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By trophyhunter

demon's souls and dragon age could not be on farther ends of the rpg spectrum  
    one is a action rpg and the other is almost an RTS

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Turambar

I personally prefer Demon's Soul more.  I'm enjoying DAO, certainly, but its style of combat has never quite been my thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Demon Souls made me want to cut my balls off and then scoop my eyes out with spoons and switch them around, I'm glad I didn't buy it I don't have the patience.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By End_Boss

Having played both games, I'm going to have to recommend Dragon Age. They are both challenging (though admittedly Demon's Souls is the tougher of the two), but Dragon Age has the added hooks of character customization and interaction along with a pretty decent high-fantasy story to back it all up.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trophyhunter
    @End_Boss said:

" Having played both games, I'm going to have to recommend Dragon Age. They are both challenging (though admittedly Demon's Souls is the tougher of the two), but Dragon Age has the added hooks of character customization and interaction along with a pretty decent high-fantasy story to back it all up. "

demon's souls has character customization
    msdss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By msdss

Demon's Souls also has online play. DA does not. 
    Also there are no elves in Demon's Souls... Clear victory imo.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By citizenjp

Dragon Age!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Turambar
    @End_Boss: Ironically, I actually had a lot more trouble with DAO than Demon's Souls, haha.

As far as presentation goes, I think DAO presents lore extremely well (still haven't had to time to read through all the codexes yet) while Demon's Souls does atmosphere far better.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By End_Boss
    @trophyhunter: Right, but only in the most marginal and trivial of ways. Yes, you customize your character's facial features, but that character never really comes to life, so for me at least, it didn't count. Not to mention that it's impossible to make anything that doesn't look like some savage mutant troll.

@msdss: Again, only in the most marginal of ways; but that's just one gamer's opinion.

@Turambar: Agreed and agreed. Demon's Souls doesn't require skill so much as it does patience. I'm finding that Dragon Age requires a great deal of strategy to come out on top, which I more closely equate to "difficulty."
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By trophyhunter
    @End_Boss said:
    " @trophyhunter: Right, but only in the most marginal and trivial of ways. Yes, you customize your character's facial features, but that character never really comes to life, so for me at least, it didn't count. Not to mention that it's impossible to make anything that doesn't look like some savage mutant troll.

@msdss: Again, only in the most marginal of ways; but that's just one gamer's opinion.

@Turambar: Agreed and agreed. Demon's Souls doesn't require skill so much as it does patience. I'm finding that Dragon Age requires a great deal of strategy to come out on top, which I more closely equate to "difficulty." "
    only in the most marginal and trivial ways what the hell are you talking about?
    they are not even in the same universe the only thing the two games have in common is you level up and and there are monsters
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Driadon

I play either-or depending on what mood I'm in. I do play more Dragon Age as when I start playing I tend not to stop until the "Oh, shit I need to get up for work in 6 hours!" moment.  

Edit:  After taking a closer look at the console version of Dragon Age Origins, if you're planning on getting it for that I'd say get Demon's Souls instead. Dragon Age is an enjoyable game on any platform, but the PC version is many times less convoluted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Both of them are fucking difficult. You like challenge? Get both.

However, if you want a more strategical game, play Dragon Age. You want a game that takes no strategy, but instead needs patience and reflexive skills? Demon Souls is the best bet.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " Both of them are fucking difficult. You like challenge? Get both.  However, if you want a more strategical game, play Dragon Age. You want a game that takes no strategy, but instead needs patience and reflexive skills? Demon Souls is the best bet. "
    you better have strategy to play demon's souls it's just not pause and give orders strategy
    Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pedro

I agree that the games are almost at the complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I think on the PC Dragon Age feels almost like an RT or turn based rpg game but on the Xbox i find that running up to monsters and pressing A seems to do the job 9 times out of 10. Only on bosses do I ever have to manage my guys and use special moves which is a little disappointing. 

I think that DS has quite a lot of character customization but its not layed out simply for you to see and track. For example my character is a Royal and uses heavy armour and a huge sword and shield so would be classed as a Warrior in DAO but in demons souls it doesn't label everything. It just tells you the stats to use the equipment and gets on with it.

If someone who loved RPG's asked me to recommend one I would choose DS simply because it has the better combat on the console which is what you do for most of the game and requires a lot more strategy and effort than in DAO.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By End_Boss
    @trophyhunter said:

" @End_Boss said:

" @trophyhunter: Right, but only in the most marginal and trivial of ways. Yes, you customize your character's facial features, but that character never really comes to life, so for me at least, it didn't count. Not to mention that it's impossible to make anything that doesn't look like some savage mutant troll.

@Turambar: Agreed and agreed. Demon's Souls doesn't require skill so much as it does patience. I'm finding that Dragon Age requires a great deal of strategy to come out on top, which I more closely equate to "difficulty." "
    only in the most marginal and trivial ways what the hell are you talking about? they are not even in the same universe the only thing the two games have in common is you level up and and there are monsters "
    I'm talking about character customization. The universe has nothing to do with what I just said. Please reread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trophyhunter said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

" Both of them are fucking difficult. You like challenge? Get both.  However, if you want a more strategical game, play Dragon Age. You want a game that takes no strategy, but instead needs patience and reflexive skills? Demon Souls is the best bet. "
    you better have strategy to play demon's souls it's just not pause and give orders strategy "
    Really? I thought Demon Souls was all about when to block and when to strike, since timing your next move without caution will make you lose a shit load of health.
    Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pedro
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

you better have strategy to play demon's souls it's just not pause and give orders strategy "
    Really? I thought Demon Souls was all about when to block and when to strike, since timing your next move without caution will make you lose a shit load of health. "
    Is that not Strategy??? To know your opponents weakness and strengths and think of a way to defeat him?
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By trophyhunter
    @pedro said:
    " @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

Really? I thought Demon Souls was all about when to block and when to strike, since timing your next move without caution will make you lose a shit load of health. "
    Is that not Strategy??? To know your opponents weakness and strengths and think of a way to defeat him? "
    yeah if that's not strategy what the hell is?
    JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By JJGIANT

I wonder how many times I can type Dragon Age to let you know which is best...

DRAGON AGE

Done...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trophyhunter said:

" @pedro said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

Is that not Strategy??? To know your opponents weakness and strengths and think of a way to defeat him? "
    yeah if that's not strategy what the hell is? "
    How is timing your blocks and strikes strategy?! I'm sorry, I cease to fathom.
    Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pedro
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @pedro said:
    " @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

How is timing your blocks and strikes strategy?! "
    Well by that argument how is pausing and pushing the A button strategy? Some opponents in DS strike hard and slow while others are fast and move a lot. And all the bosses require a lot of thinking to work out the best way to approach and defeat them. 

Both games have strategy its just the one type of fighting is more reflex and timing based, doesnt mean there is no strategy.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#24  Edited By jacksukeru

Man, I wish I could play Demon's Souls

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @pedro said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

How is timing your blocks and strikes strategy?! I'm sorry, I cease to fathom. "
    ok you clearly don't know what you are talking about so good day to you sir
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond

Demon's Souls is the better game.

aliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By aliss

OK before this thread gets hijacked into reflex strategy vs. order of battle strategy let's talk a step back from the abyss :)

Demon's Souls vs. Dragon Age? as many have said, these games are so different it's difficult to compare

demon's souls is the most exciting 3rd person action game i have ever played. this game gives you visceral highs and lows like nothing else. you actually feel the fear of the unknown, the agony of defeat, and the thrill of victory against overwhelming odds

As for Dragon Age (disclaimer: i haven't played it yet, but read reviews extensively, and i played KOTOR and Baldur's Gate to multiple completions), it's more like a novel. your character's story is the main focus -- your origins and your interaction with your party, romance, etc. and in addition to that you have the RTS-type battle system.

In demon souls your character's backstory is a non-issue, and it doesn't matter anyway. it's more about the adventure than character development.

Dragon Age looks great and i def. want to pick it up in 2010 after beating Demon's Souls, infamous, Arkham Asylum, and Borderlands, in that order

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By AuthenticM

Two very different games, but I'd go for Demon's Souls if I had to choose.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Belonpopo

Dragon Soul's?

Rompe_Chocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rompe_Chocha

OK so seeing as i have only played demons souls and not dragon age, i can only speak for one, but none the less, i will be getting dragon age this weekend :)...anyways as far as demons souls goes, its fucking great, yes i must admitt that at time to time it makes me wanna punch my own face in...and the fact that just when u finally gained ur body back and are about to fight a boss, some fag comes in as a black phantom and kills u with stupid magic fireballs from far a way and ur back at square one....but i am on my second playthrough and i am now going around looking for the stuff that i missed, understanding more of the game, fighting more black phantoms, and summoning ppl more to help me,  it is a very rewarding game, just dont think that u can go running in the the first lvl and hacknslash ur way through just cuz its lvl one...plz believe that if ur not carefull those little nasty dreglings will fuck u up lol...ps iv been trying to figure out how to get Gal Vinland as a BP, i want that big ass weapon he uses and i heard that was the only way to get it...anyways demons souls for the win, dragon age looks good too, but from what iv played. its gonna be pretty hard to beat...considering dragon age dosnt have online play....

anyone wanna ever play together....no homo......just let me know and ill add u and we can go kick some ass together :)

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nasos100

DAO for sure

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sunspots

I recently bought Demon's Souls and have not regretted my decision at all. I am thoroughly enjoying my time with the game. I have yet to play Dragon age. For me, The rpg itch is being satisfyingly scratched by Demon's souls.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By atejas

They're completely different- it's like asking someone to compare Duke Nukem and Operation Flashpoint or something. 
    Although I'd say I would prefer DA. Never even played DS, but DA sounds like the type of game I'd prefer.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By luce

Yeah i haven't played Dragon Age yet but i wouldn't compare my icecream with my steak

Dj43_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dj43_28

Demons souls is bettr than dragon age.... No explanation need rent each one and see for yourself bt yea I'll play wit u... N one tht wants to kill demons with me hit me

msdss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By msdss

I've played both now and i'd go with DS without question. As many before me have stated, hit me up if you wanna play online. 

Bozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bozo

Like both. I would definitely choose Dragon Age though. Spectacular script, and voicework.  Early on the game does draw on traditional (overplayed) fantasy scenario's, but eventually it comes into its own and showcases some incredible design. The scenarios just get incredibly interesting. I am also a fan of the tactical RPG elements that Bioware is known for. Alot of content, and it is all enhanced by the characters in your party, aswell as the NPC's that keep things flowing. I definitely like the refined combat and the online features  in Demon's Souls, but I feel its a very linear game that forces me to repeat the same thing over and over. I prefer the other way of things.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By captain_clayman

Those two games are way different from each other, beyond comparison. 
    I've heard that the better game is dragon age, but i haven't played any of them.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Valames

Dragon Age: Origins.  You're welcome.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Reuben

I haven't played DA yet but so far I'm really enjoying Demon's Souls. I'm on my 2nd play through, still really fun!

dr3day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dr3day
    @trophyhunter: You obviously have no played Dragon Age.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By trophyhunter
    @dr3day said:
    " @trophyhunter: You obviously have no played Dragon Age. "
    no it's almost an rts
    ITSSEXYTIME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ITSSEXYTIME
    @Tru3_Blu3:

That's called Tactics, not Strategy.

Dragon Age has a strong narrative and a good strategic combat system while Demon Souls has some interesting mechanics and a more action oriented tactical combat system.  Both are worth playing, and it comes down to whether you care more about Story or Challenge as to which you'd prefer. (DA Is challenging when you first star out, but only on the PC)

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HaniBall

To me the question is more between DAO and White Knight Chronicles and I'll wait for the latter. Seems a little more fresh, more light hearted. Just what one needs after DS. And gives you a little more time to master it.

Dungeonbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dungeonbuster

@pedro
     I have played through both and like them a lot, but they're very different in perspective. It depends entirely on what you want out of an RPG because both are very good at what they do.

I guess I could sum it up like this: 

Do you like getting your ass handed to you every time you boot up the game, action where your reflexes can be tested as you dodge blows and block with shields or spell, scrape for survival with every upgrade, feel dread when you are online because a player might jump into your game to kill you, and feel uber triumph when you clear a difficult hurdle? Demon's Souls might be what you're looking for. As tough as the game is, I loved it.

Do you want an epic story, a crazy number of side-quests with their own mini-stories, a party of adventurers to control, a huge number of NPCs to talk to, intrigue to uncover, cities and towns to visit, and a more traditional RPG experience? Then Dragon Age might be more to your liking. It's basic Bioware so if you like their games, Dragon Age is like a homecoming event for them since they started with Baldur's Gate on the PC.

rayt007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rayt007

DAO has strategic depth?  Surely you people who suggest this are joking?  The battle engine is nearly broken due to the severely inept AI and a few serious loopholes which can render ones strategy useless.  Here is a list of issues I had with DAO: 

• Send in rogue to scout an area out before moving entire group/party forward.  Place traps in certain key locations with the aim of luring NPC.  As rogue scouts, he/she without warning encounters a video triggering location which causes rogue to uncloak and entire group to teleport to the video trigger location, bypassing all the traps etc.  Teleporting entire group without warning?  How can there be strategic value when such things occur?
    • Your group members never do what they are suppose to do.  The AI is terribly stupid and thus you are forced to control all in your group by pressing spacebar to pause game and give each member his/her orders.  Perhaps to some this is enjoyable, but don't forget, the same AI dictate NPC behaviour.  Often you come to NPC and from a distance you can shoot/kill them off one by one with none of the other NPC within proximity to the one getting hit reacting.  They just stand there - is that the strategic depth people are talking about?
    • Similar to 2nd point, friendly NPC are completely retarded in that IF a battle takes place near them, they just ignore it, just stand there as if nothing were happening.  We are in year 2010, one would think/hope games would be made where NPC can at least have the intelligence of common spider!  

I have no played Demon's Souls yet.  From what I read it sounds very interesting, and I look forward to playing it but as for DAO goes - people who say story is good, i agree but other than there is not much to like about it.
    majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#47  Edited By majormitch
    @Belonpopo said:
    " Dragon Soul's? "
    Demon Age?
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By TheHBK

I wonder why Japanese RPGs dont have character customization.  How can they even be called RPGs?  Anyway, I have been thinking about Demon's Souls and wanted to know, is this game really Japanese?  Like as in all other JRPGs do the characters look like they were created by an Anime fanboy and is there japanese shit in it, like the sweat drop on the face, or stupid humor?  Just askin, because it looks like a good challenging game but seems to me like it would still have the problems all JRPGs have.  Please no story about a young kid saving the world, yet again...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By AndrewB

Both games seem to scratch a different itch. I love Dragon Age, but I also really want to play Demon's Souls. I think which one hooks you in more just depends on your gaming preference.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Really comparing apples and oranges here. Both are RPG's (to an extent) and amazingly fun, but both scratch a different itch. 

That said, I think they are both amazing, just be glad you own both and don't worry about thinking which is better. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.