Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

The arguments for Destiny were bad.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By JohnTunoku

I'm not sure a good argument exists for Destiny.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@bceagles128: Dark Souls has "fast travel" so I'm not sure what you mean.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It wasn't so bad. Infuriating (with a good helping of delusion) would be last year's Dota 2 talk or the 2011 Skyrim Vs. Saints Row debacle.

This year had nothing on those. Anyway, Brad gonna Brad.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By bceagles128

@sethphotopoulos said:

@mason20 said:

@animasta: Yep, pretty much this! I'm just annoyed that this happens so often that it's to be expected. Though, I do Really love the dig near the end when Jeff mentions this argument and that Saints Row: the Third/Skyrim garbage.

I've said this before but Brad's arguments against Saint's Row the 3rd because it was a busted game while arguing for Skyrim was insane to me. Skyrim has an entire console version that was busted while the other versions of the game were riddled with bugs but SR3 was buggy? Skyrim shouldn't have won the bug battle. As great of a game it is it's busted compared to SR3.

I need to go back and listen to this one. I played both games years after their release so the vast majority of the bugs in Skyrim had presumably been patched by the time I came along. I found Skyrim to be a significantly better, deeper, and more entertaining game. It's probably the most "open world" of any open world game I have ever played.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bceagles128: Dark Souls has "fast travel" so I'm not sure what you mean.

It's possible that I am mistaken as I haven't played the game but I've read in several locations that you cannot fast travel between bonfires until you get a late game item. Is that not true? Am I mixing it up with Demons Souls?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Zevvion

@damodar said:

@zevvion: You obviously dislike Shadow Of Mordor (I haven't played it, so no personal opinion), but everyone that sat in on that podcast did really like it. It was basically universally agreed that it was a game worth commending, so much so that it was collectively their favourite game of 2014. Destiny was kind of the polar opposite of that, where the majority opinion in that room held that it probably shouldn't make the cut. This issue isn't an objection based on the perceived quality of either of those titles. I don't think it even has that much to do with the probably massively overblown ire that people have for Destiny (again, haven't played; no opinion). I think it's more the history of Brad doing this with Game Of The Year stuff, where he kind of browbeats his way to what he wants. It goes beyond spirited debate and feels a bit like a spiteful war of attrition where people are co-erced or filibustered into validating opinions they don't really hold. It kind of kills the feeling of it being a group list that represents a communal opinion. The voice of somebody like Drew can't have the same impact because he's not going to behave that way.

Advanced Warfare making it so far up the list when Jeff was the only one that put it in his top 10 is certainly also questionable, but again, I think it's largely Brad's history with GOTY stuff that has raised some hackles on this one.

The problem is that this is absolutely false. All the people who keep saying 'fuck you Brad, for getting Destiny on the list' haven't even listened to the podcast it seems like.

The only real objection to Destiny being on the list came from Alex. Patrick and Vinny both said: 'Look it's not my thing, but I recognize that what it does is really good and I could see it on this list'. Jeff had a brief moment where he thought it shouldn't be on the list, but for 80% of the discussion he also agreed it should be on there. He had just as brief of a moment of taking Destiny up to spot 5. And don't forget it was Jeff who kept saying Destiny should make the list long before Wolfenstein.

Brad might have taken the argument in center, but he was not the only one that wanted it on there.

@bceagles128 The first Dark Souls had a better world. Dark Souls II had much better gameplay. Patrick, Vinny and Brad saying they beat some bosses on the first try is just Souls experience, not the game being easy. It is actually a harder game than the first. They should replay the first Dark Souls again and they are going to be amazed how little they'll die. Probably on no boss.

Depending on what you come to Dark Souls for, gameplay or world, you'll like the first or second one better. I think they just valued the world a lot which is understandable.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's all going to be okay.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bceagles128: as a person who has played the souls series in order and when they came out,dark souls 2 is the best game in the series and should have been in the top ten without question.ive said this before and ill keep saying it,dark souls 2 and dragon age 3 were both the best games in there series and are the two best games ever made imo.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Brad's argument for Skyrim was that there was a lot of it, whilst SR3 didn't have a lot and there were some bad parts.

Cut to this year, Destiny got on the list because he played a lot of it

the lesson being, Brad likes games he spends 50 hours on regardless of whether the quality is there the entire way through

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bceagles128: The world isn't as large as DS2 and there are plenty of shortcuts that you will unlock that will make travelling a non-issue. And once you get the fast travel item any possible long distances becomes a non-issue as well. 2 is a great game and on a mechanical level it is easy to argue as best in the series, but it missed that spark that Demon's and DS1 had for me personally.

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Destiny is Brad's game, I'd be disappointed if he didn't fight for it. If I had my game nearly eked out for the top ten, I'd sure as hell fight tooth-and-nail for it as well. This year just proved that the crew is passionate for the games they like. The top ten lists are beautiful examples of when the immovable object meets the unstoppable force.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Brad needs to understand himself.

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By swat200

All I see is the top 9 games of the year and 1 wet fart brad cried enough about.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: I'm with you all the way. I've never played Destiny and from what I've seen, it looks rather boring. But Brad fighting to seemingly do the impossible and bring arguably 2014's most disappointing GOTY into the top ten is awesome.

Reminds me of Patrick dragging Papers, Please up from nothing into Mario's spot. Both were awesome not because the games themselves necessarily deserved the spot (although I think Papers did deserve it), but because the arguments were a wonder to experience. I think Brad did a good job defending that game, there I said it. #TeamBrad all day.

Avatar image for mechamarshmallow
    MechaMarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what podcast you were listening to, but it was more than just Brad who were ok with that game going on the list. I think some of the strongest arguments came out of Jeff, actually.

But really, it's the list of what the staff liked the most, not some objective mark of quality. If you ask me, I think half the games on that list are straight up not good. CoD? South park? Jazzpunk, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart, I don't even like any of those. I want to like Far Cry 4 but I still can't get it working on my PC. To me, the list is utter insanity, but it's about what they liked the most, not 'Best Game: Technical'.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone has their personal favorites that they were ready to die for (Hearthstone shouldn't have even been in the deliberations), and the crew had to make space for COD and Destiny. The list isn't meant to be objective...just a consensus by the crew. None of them really played Dragon Age or Divinity so those didn't have a presence, but if they had, those games would've been discussed more.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were they? I mean, Brad is a key part of GB and he is addicted to Destiny. That he'd argue so hard for it and ultimately get it in the site's top 10 of the year is neither surprising nor particularly upsetting. It's their top 10, not your top ten. You can of course disagree and all, but let Brad have his. I don't personally think Destiny is all that great (or terrible), but Brad's passion about Destiny and his favorite games in general is perfectly fine to me. Otherwise, these discussions are just uninspired nit-picking. And it's just one of ten slots on the list. Frankly, the amount of discussion the game has generated and the sheer time people have sunk into Destiny inherently make it fairly deserving as a "top" game of the year. There's something to it in the hearts/minds of a bunch of people apart from Brad, and it will continue to be played for a long time from now and be remembered long after that. How many other games from this year can say that? It deserves its spot, flaws and all.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's so easy forgetting about all the good points Brad made about Destiny when you disagree with what he's saying. Sometimes I wonder if I'm in a giant bomb thread or on a Fox News set.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What it felt like to me

Binding of Issac: "It has a steep learning curve, and a FAQ really helps. Doesn't seem fun to everyone, I guess it can go."

Dragon Age: "Game is good but it has flaws. There's TOO MUCH meaningless content. I guess it can go."

Destiny: "Yeah, it doesn't get good till the endgame, you should study the loot online, there isn't enough content. It has a LOT of flaws. Most everyone on the table doesn't like it. But guys. The shooting is really, really fun. It has to stay."

Is it strange that Destiny beat Wolfenstien, Divinity, Binding of Issac and Dragon Age? Sure. Do the arguments hold up? Some do and some don't. But whatever. When you are reducing the games of the year to a Top 10 list, there is gonna be some cuts. Not everything is going to make it on there. There isn't room, and hard choices have to be made. All the games in the top 15, maybe even top 20, were fantastic. I just love hearing the process. It's when the crew gets the most critical (and the most petty) about games.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haters gonna hate, y'all. Brad and I agree on Destiny, y'all don't, and that is okay.

I've dumped 52h21m into Destiny and I'm still playing. I can excuse the lack of story and the grinding, the only real issues i have are with the soft caps on marks and the piss poor loot system early on (which the dark below seems to have fixed)

It looks good. It didn't ship as a busted ass game, it controls extremely well and feels good while doing so... and the multiplayer ain't half bad either

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Man, I played a shit ton of Destiny and enjoyed my time. That being said, I can still look at it objectively and come to the conclusion that it was not one of the ten best games of 2014. There were too many bugs, not enough content, boring repetitive content and a complete failure to deliver on the pre-release promise of that game.

The graphics were good, the sound was decent, the shooting was excellent and the raids were fun but the 'game' around that framework was disa-fucking-pointing.

I doubt I could have rolled my eyes harder during the argument for putting Destiny on the list if I wanted too.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By bargainben

@animasta: I feel like a pure change of circumstance and Brad would have happened to get way into Hearthstone or he would have had time to get into Dragon Age and suddenly he'd be championing 3 timesinks.

And to be clear, Brad is a fantastic arguer. He's a poor debater. A good debater makes cogent points and hears the opposition. But he gets his way in the end despite not having those. That takes a supreme amount of argumentative skill.

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Nals

It's just slightly annoying.

The issue for me is we already have staff lists. Like I don't mind that Brad really loves Destiny, good for him, but he already put it pretty high up on his personal 2014 list.

Why is it also on the goty listing? Outside of him, Jeff recognizes it's gameplay, and then everyone else on the crew hasn't played it/loathes it. Compare that to Dragon Age which was liked by at least 4 people. Or Divinity which was well liked by 2 people. Or Wolfenstein which was loved by 3-4 people.

It's less of an annoyance that Destiny made it on to the top ten because of Brad, and more that stuff like this can happen because the way they handle their deliberations. Everyone gets to bring their favorite into the last deliberations regardless of criticism, so Destiny managed to jump past the stage where it would have been compared to Wolf/Dragon Age/Divinity, and got straight into the endgame scenario where they just had to decide where to put it. And that makes no sense for the list of the entire GB staff when 90% of them don't like the game. Instead we got a shitty scenario where Jeff didn't think Dragon Age/Wolf/Divinity should make the list because he personally didn't like them, so he jumped in with Brad on Destiny even though he's made his opinion pretty clear it's trash.

Of course the biggest issue is there is far too much filler. They should only do a top 5 list and force everyone to be at each others throats for what goes on that list every year.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrm said:

@pyrodactyl: Man, I played a shit ton of Destiny and enjoyed my time. That being said, I can still look at it objectively and come to the conclusion that it was not one of the ten best games of 2014. There were too many bugs, not enough content, boring repetitive content and a complete failure to deliver on the pre-release promise of that game.

The graphics were good, the sound was decent, the shooting was excellent and the raids were fun but the 'game' around that framework was disa-fucking-pointing.

I doubt I could have rolled my eyes harder during the argument for putting Destiny on the list if I wanted too.

Or, you could go with ''there is no such thing as objective'' and ''most of the best games of this year are fucked up in some way so I'm not suprised some people (like Brad) were able to look past the flaws in Destiny''

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny gets fun after level 20, straight up. But I would not expect a person to slog through 15-20 hours of Boring to get there.

I liked the game more than most, but i'm not crazy (maybe I am, I have 3 level 28's in that fucking game), it doesn't deserve to be top 10 over games like Divinity, Dragon Age, or Wolfenstein (Or NaissanceE!) And it really did feel like the crew just gave it to Brad because he wouldn't let it go.

Destiny is very pretty and the shooting is fantastic, but I wouldn't just want More of what is already there, the game has fundamental design issues that can't be overlooked.

I'm just glad somebody Eventually mentioned DarkSouls 2! I didn't think it'd make it but credit where credit is due!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#126  Edited By Seikenfreak

They really just let him have the 10th slot so they could move on.

Having Destiny on the list was a mistake IMO. Just like DOTA, Brad is in so deep he can't see the forest for the trees. And while he argues that there are millions of people still playing it, there are probably just as many, if not more, that thought it was a heap of burning wreckage and stopped. Not sure why he argues for the loot system as it looks extremely limited and boring. The character customization, in terms of skills as well as appearance, was also shallow. The massive, frequent load times. The whole Tower location, and everything involved with it, was boring and unnecessary. The simple/boring raid mechanics.

The list goes on and on. These are like all things they complained about themselves while playing it, until Brad got addicted to the loot grind. If they would have had any discussion about an MMO they almost certainly would've been saying that having to play X number or hours or reach the level cap before something decent came along was a horrible excuse and shouldn't be a thing.

As far as I could tell, the only things Destiny had going for it were the shooting feel and the art design/graphics. I was with Alex on this the whole time. This shouldn't have made the list just because it had potential and there are people who are crazy and play it.

It's not that I'm up at night thinking about it, I just can't believe they even had the argument for that long. Especially considering the other games that could've gone into that slot were more complete and quality experiences as far as they've described. I've got no personal attachment to any of them but a complete, functioning game and experience should be a more important factor than something that is 75% busted.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By InternetDotCom

If the first 20 hours is "just a bad first impression" then the game is bad. But whatever it is just a list, I don't really care.

I stopped playing games online with the people I play with because I couldn't get enjoyment from Destiny even with friends and that is mostly what they play.

Game of the Year should have been Saints Row The Third

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Destiny was not a good game. It was flawed, not broken, merely flawed in many areas; however, the flaws sucked every ounce of fun out of it for me. If there were 20 things to be done right or wrong, Bungie choose wrong on fifteen occasions.

This I will say, the game worked. Sadly, it even worked as it was intended to, which is horrifying. Yet, I can at least grudgingly respect that the game was polished, functional, and mostly free of crash bugs.

Nevertheless, here is the thing about this game and Bungie's efforts - I'm over it.

It sucked, and because of that I won't be buying Destiny 2. Wherever, if at all. this game land on someone's Top 10 list; I cannot begrudge that, because this was a crap year for big games and this one wasn't broken. Destiny was just very boringly mediocre. Beating a lazy & lame horse is just cruel, so I'm over it.

slayers_bernie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bceagles128: you unlock fast travel eventually in dark souls. The world is out together so well that you really don't need it until anor londo and some of the further out areas get unlocked and that's when you get fast travel anyway.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog: well, let's use your litmus test to figure out my taste in games. I like Destiny. Tell me what other kinds of games I'm in to.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I'm just disappointed that no one (especially Drew) really tried so hard to fight for Wolfenstein.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#132  Edited By liquiddragon

I haven't played Destiny but from outside looking in, it reminds me of the arguments for FF13. The combat is the best the developer's ever done and it's real pretty but we all know it takes more than that for a game to be good.

I think Bungie like Blizzard, Valve, or maybe Square, some people will be hell bend on trying to love their games and reading between the lines even if the game is clearly bad.

To hear Jeff literally trash the game every podcast since the game's release and hear him fight for the game and to dismiss quality games he did not care for...obviously it's a stupid list but come onnnn...

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Kart Billonty over Divinity: Original Sin.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog: well, let's use your litmus test to figure out my taste in games. I like Destiny. Tell me what other kinds of games I'm in to.

Shitty repetitive grinders, like Brad and all the other Bungie apologists. :P

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The funny thing is is that Destiny's endgame or raid isn't even that interesting.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played Destiny but from outside looking in, it reminds me of the arguments for FF13. The combat is the best the developer's ever done and it's real pretty but we all know it takes more than that for a game to be good.

I think Bungie like Blizzard, Valve, or maybe Square, some people will be hell bend on trying to love their games and reading between the lines even if the game is clearly bad.

To hear Jeff literally trash the game every podcast since the game's release and hear him fight for the game and to dismiss quality games he did not care for...obviously it's a stupid list but come onnnn...

The best I can explain is this.

I dropped about $200 for two copies of the game and DLC. Based on my experience with the alpha, I was convinced that the final product was going to fill in the gaps and be really damn fun. After about six hours of the released product starting the moment it launched, I realized it was literally just the same thing in the alpha. That is, it was a half billion dollar version of Warframe, but not as good. Repetitive. None of the "revolutionary social gaming focus" that was promised. No story. Not even very compelling enemies or weapons or loot.

I signed out after one session and have not touched it since about 6am the day of launch, four months ago. Same with the person I bought the other copy for. I can not even force myself to play another minute of it to "get my money worth out of the $200 I wasted".

Destiny is a lot like that WWF card game Jeff keeps playing. A real piece of shit that certain people with a certain make-up know is a real piece of shit, but can't turn away from, anyway. And the only justification anyone can ever offer is "well, that shooting mechanic sure is swell". I've heard more compelling justifications for meth addiction from meth heads.

After spending $200 on the game for six hours of play, I would actually rather spend yet *another* $200 to not play it, if someone tried to force me.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Eh, I don't know exactly why Brad always gets the worst treatment by everybody for this stuff while several other games on the list were similar to Brad and Destiny. Brad wasn't even as acidic in his arguments as some of Jeff's were, but there must be something about his tone or his words that sets off some of the others to argue with him the most about this stuff. Meh, this is always my favourite content of the year and I never get annoyed at it like many listeners do so it's all good to me!

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#138  Edited By MudMan

@cirdain: I don't have a problem with the list they came up with (even though I don't agree with much of it), but it's true that Brad's weirdly addictive personality should be looked at by a team of professionals. I mean, the DOTA thing by itself is troubling, but looking at Destiny's flatlined grindfest and going "yep" is clearly pathological. Brad's definitely on my "most likely to slob to death on a long, repetitive game" spot.

Now for the real question, what did everyone think of Dan in the middle of the GOTY discussion shitfest? I, for one, was almost rooting for Brad trying to punch him at one point when he CLEARLY had enough of his trolling. It was magical.

Honestly, these chats get incredibly cique-like (e.g. the off-hand dismissal of Dragon Age, Jeff's infatuation with CoD or his weird hangups with some franchises and genres). Having a person in saying, no, fuck you, Mario Kart is a fantastic game was very refreshing. The only problem is I didn't quite think he made a great case of why, but they never discuss mechanics or design very in depth on these, beyond "this sucks" or "this is great", so I can't complain much.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I don't get is how he dings Dragon Age for having multiple zones (larger than anything in Destiny) plus a hub.

Destiny is all about that hub nonsense (plus discrete areas) which doesn't need to be there, as the hub area in DA is a heck of a lot more interesting than the one in Destiny. Complain about the war table? Well how about the cryptarch/bounties/etc.

I like Destiny. Tell me what other kinds of games I'm in to.

Diablo? Farmville? Candy Crush saga? Mobile Dungeon Keeper? *Joke* (the first one is serious, maybe)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think it says a lot that Brad was passionately trying to get Starcraft 2 to win in 2010 over Mass Effect 2 (which every staff member enjoyed) because he spent his personal time playing so much of it... and then he forgot about it in favor of Red Dead.

@tuxfool said:

What I don't get is how he dings Dragon Age for having multiple zones (larger than anything in Destiny) plus a hub.

Destiny is all about that hub nonsense (plus discrete areas) which doesn't need to be there, as the hub area in DA is a heck of a lot more interesting than the one in Destiny. Complain about the war table? Well how about the cryptarch/bounties/etc.

Yeah, that was strange. He's making an allowance for travelling to different planets with maps made of connected corridors but he won't make an allowance for travelling to different countries and provinces with wider expanses.

I don't have much interest in Nintendo games either, but Jeff's insistence that no they're really all the same, meanwhile his favorite games are a sequel to his 2012 GOTY and a sequel to his 2007 and 2009 GOTYs... the problem is clearly not that the Nintendo games aren't different enough, it's that they're just not Jeff's thing.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care what's on there list, I'm more interested in how they get there.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a person in saying, no, fuck you, Mario Kart is a fantastic game was very refreshing. The only problem is I didn't quite think he made a great case of why, but they never discuss mechanics or design very in depth on these, beyond "this sucks" or "this is great", so I can't complain much.

TBH there isn't all that much to say really about the the mechanics of MK that haven't already been said. It is the best version of that game, has great levels etc.

Having said that, it shouldn't be dismissed for being nth iteration, seeing as things like COD and Far Cry are on that list too.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog: well shit, ya got me :( I'm off to farm for the Bee in BL2

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@branthog: Sucks that you invested so heavily on it but to be fair, I don't think 6 hours is enough to really make a good judgement on the game. Not saying you're wrong but you should at least make your way through the campaign. The thing that annoys me most about all the goty talk is people hating on games they've clearly have not put enough time on.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#145  Edited By pr1mus

Brad would probably be really "good" in congress.

If Dan does one day destroy video games (a real possibility), Brad should probably turn to politics.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

@brendan said:

Eh, I don't know exactly why Brad always gets the worst treatment by everybody for this stuff while several other games on the list were similar to Brad and Destiny. Brad wasn't even as acidic in his arguments as some of Jeff's were, but there must be something about his tone or his words that sets off some of the others to argue with him the most about this stuff. Meh, this is always my favourite content of the year and I never get annoyed at it like many listeners do so it's all good to me!

I actually really love the Game of the Year Deliberations podcasts, and the big fights are way preferable to the wet farts of "Shadow of Mordor, huh" or "So it's The Last of Us?" results of the last few years. These days, those fights happen around the #9 and 10 spots. Usually, it's a quadrilogy of games in hot competition; this time, it was basically down to "Is it Destiny or literally any other game." That fact was what got Destiny on the list. The arguments for #10 were bad in whole. Nobody argued for anything else well OR passionately. If Brad's arguments were bad FOR Destiny, everyone else's arguments were bad FOR Wolfenstein, Divinity, Luftrausers, and several games that might have reached that spot along the way. Better arguments were made for some of the earliest cuts. The ire comes because it made the list and because it was the longest argument on the podcast.

Here's the problem; Brad has argued two or three times by reducing arguments to a single sentence and saying them over and over again. Saints Row The Third is another iterative game in a genre of well-liked games; Skyrim is an innovation because "they finally did it!" as though nobody liked Morrowind, Oblivion, or the Fallout games, let alone Borderlands, Dead Island, World of Warcraft, and The Witcher 2. His argument for Metal Gear Solid 4 was basically reducing all the arguments that the gameplay was mediocre to "the best parts are when you play it" including situations that are an aiming reticle away from being quick-time events; its playable cutscenes, so to speak.

And the Destiny argument reduces everything to "it gets really complex in the endgame!" without ever explaining how or why and "it'd be game of the year if there were more of it" when everyone argues that the problem is that what's there wasn't good enough to make them ever want to play enough to see the end, and therefore the problem is that there needs to be significantly better content. His argument for why the grind can be done faster is "you can play in The Crucible," which every single staffer argued was a really bad competitive multiplayer mode, so basically you can trudge through an even harsher grind for a still-long shorter time. His "better missions" were Nightfalls (never described, I still don't know what they are) and The Raid, a ninety minute piece of content that nobody bothered to argue was good OR bad. No matter what, it wasn't one of Brad's recommendations for Best Moment or Sequence, so I can't pretend that it seemed a good fit for the list over Valiant Hearts or Wolfenstein considering each had a moment or sequence more remarkable and more general support. This is not me pulling apart the details of the argument; the backbone of the argument is flawed at its most basic premises, and none of the arguments that could reinforce that defense were ever argued.

Many people delve into the specifics of his arguments, and I understand why, but those were not convincing to the staff members either. I don't really know if the weapons are better are worse in other games, but the specifics are never really clarified beyond "Kessler got a gun that one-shotted a boss" as though just removing play from a game's battles is all it takes for a weapon to be fun. I don't know if the end-game content is better because he never described why it's better. And I don't know if the shooting is enough to make the early parts of the game fun because nobody described what the shooting was like or why it was fun. This is the stuff that Giant Bomb often fails to discuss whatsoever, which is why they're often being described as "irrelevant" by some people in the wider gaming community. It's not like you have to dig for examples of people doing a better job than this, seeing as friends of the site Idle Thumbs do totally discuss the specifics of mechanics. Partly, it's sad, because a lot of the games Brad loves largely involve this kind of discussion, which is the vast majority of why he likes them, but he doesn't feel comfortable bringing that level of specificity to the podcast. One DOTA episode covers the spread on that, though.

And I think there's a good argument to be made for Destiny; I only played the beta, but I loved what I played of The Crucible, and the vehicle movement was inspiring, and the shooting elevated what were otherwise middling encounters to be more fun than any encounter I had in Shadow of Mordor or Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, even when it was just running in and shooting guys in a big room. And the game is just a gorgeous bit of art to look at; it made the cut for Best Looking Game in a year with loads of gorgeous games for a reason. In that regard, it's one of my favorite open worlds of the year, because at least I want to be there; Mordor is a sad, ugly, gray place with a static and stormy skybox, and the second map is dull as dirt fantasy land, as disinteresting as the starting area in Cyrodiil would be without the details.

Those things are reasons to get it on the list. I think there's lots of arguments for those other games that just never really got made, but those games just didn't make a strong enough impression on the team. Though considering how much people loved Nidhogg and Sportsfriends I'm sad neither was mentioned for the list.

Additionally, his argument for DOTA 2 was actually really defensible in my opinion, as was his argument for Mass Effect 3 (the perfect case of "the second-most disappointing game can also be a GOTY list entry," argued for beautifully, actually,) and there's a reason most people haven't complained in the past about other people's passionate arguments for games like Syndicate or The Witcher 2, or acidic arguments against games like Catherine, the 2010 Red Dead Redemption argument, Darksiders, or LIMBO. And the Minerva's Den vs Lair of the Shadow Broker conversation was way more compelling for this same reason; it's exhausting and a big circuitous but at least the reasoning for why those were both real cool was compelling. And I think Brad has made great arguments for games in the past (Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption, StarCraft II included.) But the Destiny argument is perhaps the deepest disappointment in actual argument because its premises are actively reductive and fail to argue for many of the things which make the game good.

P.S. People are mad about Destiny because Brad often prefers games that fall to the wayside, like RAGE or Dead Island, or Mass Effect 3, or DOTA 2, or Destiny, or Transistor, or Enslaved, or Dead Rising 2. The list goes on, and it's not so often a game like Crypt of the Necrodancer that gets no coverage and more often fondness for a game like Asura's Wrath that a lot of people just think is dumb. I sometimes see validity in those games: Mass Effect 3 is my favorite Mass Effect, my favorite series, for completely different reasons from his, and Asura's Wrath is some good fun. Sometimes I think he's full of shit: Dead Island hasn't gotten worse since the first one, they were all just on-fire garbage, and RAGE was one of the most boring games I've ever played. But I don't necessarily think that's a bad quality; I just know my opinions don't always line up with his.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By bargainben

@jimbo said:

Mario Kart Billonty over Divinity: Original Sin.

The best Mario Kart over the least inspired Divinity. I feel ok about that. I'd rather not enable a franchise that's famously experimental for getting mainstream success with a super vanilla Black Isle in the late 90s style throwback game.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#148  Edited By Driadon

I think what Jeff said about Destiny echos a lot of my own sentiments, for the most part. First and foremost: the action in that game is one of the best I've ever experienced. I have so much fun shooting a gun, and running around that I kind of don't care about the rest of it, and that's pretty goddamn impressive considering how grindy the game is. I've put over 40 hours into the game, and plan to put more in simply because sitting down and playing any part of that game is just so fucking fun. It's the same reason why the Borderlands games have shown up in my top 10 year after year: I could sit down and have a blast with it over and over again. That's number 1 for me in this instance.

I'd also argue that, yes the loot drops in the end game suck big time, however how often you get loot, and the percentage it is better than what you have, up to the level 18-20 mark is really really good. You get way less useless crap, which makes nearly every drop exciting up to that point. Sure, they could, and should, have done way more interesting things with that loot leading up to that, but that's not really what I'm arguing.

Like they said, what they got right they got riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. What they got wrong wasn't the completely horrible, but would be enough to call it a mess. I think where you come in on that game is which area you see first and focus on.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By defaultprophet

DAI not being even in the top 10 is riiiiiiiiidiculous. Like absolutely mind meltingly silly.

Also I loved the "We're not shitting on Dragon Age" after....literally shitting on it and continuing to nitpick it after. So dumb.

Nameless2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The GOTY podcasts in general seemed really phoned-in this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.